07. Textures
08. How Could I
09. Veil Of Maya [2004 remix] [The Expanded Edition bonus]
10. I'm But A Wave To... [2004 remix] [The Expanded Edition bonus]
11. How Could I [2004 remix] [The Expanded Edition bonus]
12. Cosmos [Portal] [The Expanded Edition bonus]
13. The Circle's Gone [Portal] [The Expanded Edition bonus]
14. Endless Endeavors [Portal] [The Expanded Edition bonus]

This album really impressed me in the minute I pushed play on my Stereo; Cynic the King without Crown, Cynic is like H.P Lovecraft or Vincent van Gogh, artists that public worshiped only after they died. Cynic released only one Full Length and a lot of Demos, nowadays people is hungry to get their material, fortunately I got Focus, so let's talk about this awesome album.

The album starts with "Veil Of Maya" one of the best openers in Metal history, a song with a lot of musical textures and progressions, this track show us Cynic's great potential, the drums are incredible (irregular and complex beats), the guitar riffs and solos are very technical, the bass-lines are also beautiful, and the vocals remind me a little of Chuck (Death) but with more power and more aggressive. The entire album is filled with a lot of Jazz elements, this is very remarkable indeed, this gives the album a lot of structures that go along with the amazing musical arrangements, and by the way don't expect Jazz elements ala Pestilence, in this album those jazzy Arrangements are not wrapped in weird power chords and all that stuff, this time we all can actually appreciate the Jazz fusion.

Every song is unbelievable, powerful riffs always place the mood for the song, but every once in a while the music slows down and set an incredible mellow atmosphere, but after this once more aggressive music enters, so the progression is all along the album with great measures and breathtaking structures (this is another great thing, the Progression is perfect). The vocals in this album are very good indeed, we can hear high-pitched growls, and then some weird robotic vocal effects (remember, this do not qualify as industrial metal) Note: check the seventh track "Textures" this song is purely instrumental, this song is one of the best demonstrations of Cynic's talent, after hearing this one nothing else matters, I am not kidding

So if you haven't heard Cynic you really must search for this album, one of the best releases in Death Metal, I don't know why this incredible musicians are so underrated, I know the production is not very good at all, and also the artwork is very naive, but the music is what matters I swear, nobody ever talks about this fantastic band, but well now I am telling you that "Focus" is overwhelming so it's up to you if you get it or not. So if you are looking for awesome Progressive Death Metal this should be your first option no doubt.

Written by Herzebeth | 12.01.2006

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 52   Visited by: 449 users
06.11.2008 - 23:21
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Raziel X on 06.11.2008 at 23:01

I dont mind the effect, I like the album, has a great jazzy feel.
Sure Focus is untouchable kinda, but that doesnt mean that the new album isnt good, it is great, and still beats much of the contemporary prog metal
IMO it is pretty close to Focus

That's definitely it... that untouchable-ness was impossible to follow so maybe Traced In Air just seems worse to me because I am comparing it to Focus too much... I love the jazzy feel in the music but the vocoder just got to me...
I guess it is all relative to one's personal taste
09.11.2008 - 15:58
Raziel X

Written by Introspekrieg on 06.11.2008 at 23:21

Written by Raziel X on 06.11.2008 at 23:01

I dont mind the effect, I like the album, has a great jazzy feel.
Sure Focus is untouchable kinda, but that doesnt mean that the new album isnt good, it is great, and still beats much of the contemporary prog metal
IMO it is pretty close to Focus

That's definitely it... that untouchable-ness was impossible to follow so maybe Traced In Air just seems worse to me because I am comparing it to Focus too much... I love the jazzy feel in the music but the vocoder just got to me...
I guess it is all relative to one's personal taste

Yep, the jazzy feel rules, and Traced in air is still going to be one of the best prog releases of the year IMO. As for the vocoder, it is not a thing I enjoy much, but I can stand it and it doesnt bugger me that much
10.02.2009 - 17:24
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
It is truly a masterpiece. I wish I had the change to see Cynic now. We never know, with the new album and all.

I think I still prefer Focus over Traced In Air but they are very different albums in a way.

I remember the first time I listened to Focus, Veil of Maya and I was like "what the hell is this? It sounds different in a very good way" and then I was hooked.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.02.2009 - 21:18
Nicko's Nose

I really don't get why it's so loved...
01.03.2009 - 00:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Nicko's Nose on 26.02.2009 at 21:18

I really don't get why it's so loved...

Because it was something totally new and fucking brilliant at the time. And it still is brrilliant imo (unlike Traced In Air)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.03.2009 - 04:09
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Finally I listened to this album without interruptions, totally alone in my world, putting all of my attention to the music and lyrics and let me say that this is awesome, totally great and very very well done (yes, even if the production is not the best) . I really liked this album, "Veil of Maya", "Uroboric Forms" and "Textures" are my favorites, and BTW some parts made me think of Death.
And yes, as Marcel said, surely in 1993 this was "something totally new and fucking brilliant", I second that. "Traced In Air" is not a bad album but sadly it is not as good as "Focus", still is very enjoyable.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
04.05.2009 - 19:14
Rating: 10
symbolic727

Easly one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time and i have met Paul and Sean some of the nicest people i have ever met long live Cynic. This album is eather something your going to get or go completely over your head so i can understand why some people don't get it.
19.10.2009 - 00:17
Tordah

I agree TOTALLY with this review, it truly is a masterpiece; it certainly deserves more than the 8.8 it's got now.

I mean, what the hell is Blackwater Park doing so damned high?! It's bland as shit! The transitions are messy and OVER-DRAAAAAAWN; just generally bland in every aspect.

THIS is how you make a record, THIS is what Opeth wants to be.
18.01.2010 - 13:14
DP_Megachiva
Account deleted
This album is a masterpiece... a really unique, brilliant masterpiece

Cynic is one of my favorite bands, I can hear both their albums over and over and not get tired
28.11.2010 - 21:03
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Oh yeah texture is beautiful... "i rolled up the biggest joint possible and left the planet with cynic"... one of the precious album that i own
02.02.2011 - 14:37
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
Sounds like an bloody epic album but i haven't checked out till now.........now after reading this, i surely am going to..........:devil:
27.02.2011 - 02:03
@gent_-_orange

Simply put ...... a masterpeice 10/10 without a doubt.
08.06.2011 - 13:20
Panterica

Am I the only one who noticed that there are two Djent bands which are named after Cynic's song titles (Veil of Maya and Textures)? This discovery made my day
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
12.12.2011 - 13:50
Kuroboshi

I bought this album about 5 years ago and have listened to it every then and now, but today is the first time I actually thought it is an pretty awesome album (except the robotic vocals).
01.09.2013 - 20:11
qlacs
"The Quaker"
I just returned the 3rd time to this album, I must say after after digging myself into prog rock and jazz this is a pure diamond of music. So perfect, no weak moments, it's so well composed it's just flowing.
----
01.08.2015 - 08:01
Soulhole

Does anyone else get a BTBAM vibe from this... I have a feeling after listening to this that they were influenced by this album.
02.08.2015 - 08:44
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Soulhole on 01.08.2015 at 08:01

Does anyone else get a BTBAM vibe from this... I have a feeling after listening to this that they were influenced by this album.

Nope.

Independent success here by Cynic. They pulled off some great moments here and further, gone onto record one of their best albums in Cynic's catalogue.

Influences does range from early-acts but not from BTBAM.

Only a month back, I was listening to this on my pad and was ectatatic to see how refreshing this record is. Every song spewed some new elements and that just makes the record more beautiful, classy and spectacular.
04.08.2015 - 07:15
Soulhole

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 02.08.2015 at 08:44

Nope.

Independent success here by Cynic. They pulled off some great moments here and further, gone onto record one of their best albums in Cynic's catalogue.

Only a month back, I was listening to this on my pad and was ectatatic to see how refreshing this record is. Every song spewed some new elements and that just makes the record more beautiful, classy and spectacular.

It's definitely something special. I love when I hear something like this that is old but haven't come across yet. Same thing happened to me about a year ago when I first listened to Edge of Sanity and Dan Swano's older stuff. Epic!
04.08.2015 - 20:37
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Soulhole on 04.08.2015 at 07:15

Nope.

It's definitely something special. I love when I hear something like this that is old but haven't come across yet. Same thing happened to me about a year ago when I first listened to Edge of Sanity and Dan Swano's older stuff. Epic!

My point was that there wasn't anything BTBAM-vibe in it.

Other than that, I agree on how old records shows us little new moments in it.
05.08.2015 - 00:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 04.08.2015 at 20:37

Written by Soulhole on 04.08.2015 at 07:15

Nope.

My point was that there wasn't anything BTBAM-vibe in it.

Other than that, I agree on how old records shows us little new moments in it.

His point was that BTBAM has a lot of Cynic - Focus vibe in it. Yea, English seems to hard for you to grasp but this was as clear as it could be.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.08.2015 - 06:29
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Vice versa I don't find any Cynic influence in BTBAM either.

Two different bands have their own representation of music.
30.01.2020 - 20:13
IanYeara

Great album, it's a masterpiece; but Traced In Air is better. Not by a wide margin, but for prog fans I would classify it as one of the greatest albums of all time.

Hits total: 14186 | This month: 29