Back in February seminal UK doom metal act Cathedral announced their plans to disband. In an interview with The Quietus, vocalist Lee Dorrian now revealed the band will leave the stage permanently after a December 3rd gig at the London Kentish Town Forum. Support will come from kindred spirits Grand Magus, Comus, and Gentleman's Pistols.

The band will record one final studio album entitled The Last Spire to be released in 2012 as a follow-up to last year's The Guessing Game. There will be no live shows to support the album, as Dorrian claims that it's time for Cathedral to "move on" and hopes "to leave our recorded legacy to linger."

You can read the full chat here.

Source: thequietus.com
Band profile: Cathedral

Posted: 22.05.2011 by Thryce

Comments

Angelic Storm - 22.05.2011 at 12:39
This news sucks so much... I can only hope "The Last Spire" is a fittingly classic album for them to sign off with. Though if it's anything like their last album, it'll only make me more sad that they're going... Definitely one of the UK's finest bands of any genre, bar none. <3
!J.O.O.E.! - 22.05.2011 at 15:43
Written by Angelic Storm on 22.05.2011 at 12:39

I agree, although I am happy we're getting at least another record out of them so yeah, fingers crossed it's good (and like the last one).
BloodTears - 22.05.2011 at 16:39
I'm fond of Cathedral, I really like "The Garden Of Unearthly Delights".

Even though I'm not a fan, it's always sad to see them go.
Troy Killjoy - 22.05.2011 at 16:44
Thanks for the depressing reminder - a great way to enjoy a Sunday off. DAMN YOU THRYCE!
BlackenedMyths - 22.05.2011 at 19:55
It's sad to see Cathedral split up. Hopefully they'll leave on a high note with their final album.
Marcel Hubregtse - 22.05.2011 at 20:13
Among the best news last week. But a shame they're recording one more album.but it can't be as bad as The Guessing Game, or can it? Hope not
BitterCOld - 22.05.2011 at 21:11
Not sure what is particularly bad news about it. the plans to disband were long known, so at least those who still dig the band get one more album out of it. unless you're cynical like Marcel.
Sworn - 22.05.2011 at 23:58
It's a shame that this band splits-up:( One of the greatest of all times.
Baz Anderson - 23.05.2011 at 00:43
Sad stuff, but at least there will be one more album.
Angelic Storm - 23.05.2011 at 18:54
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 22.05.2011 at 15:43

Oh absolutely! They could have just retired after their last live dates this year, and not bothered releasing a new album. So I'm grateful for sure, that they're releasing one last album. Im just hoping it's one that's is an awesome album, and a fitting swansong to their career. If it was like the last one, I'd be overjoyed. But likewise, I wouldn't mind if it was more like "The Ethereal Mirror" type stuff. Im definitely looking forward to hearing it. xD
Black Conundrum - 25.05.2011 at 06:48
Cathedral is a band that I respect, and I can respect their decision to split up. I'm positive that they wouldn't want to make this last album suck in their eyes.

News Cathedral - Announce Plans To Disband 6.5 09.02.2011 by Angelic Storm
News As I Lay Dying - Update On Band's Future, New Projects 4 09.04.2014 by psykometal
News Visions Of Atlantis - Lineup Changes And Future Plans 4 06.12.2013 by Dark†SymphonY
News Saxon - Update On New Album And Touring Plans 4 13.08.2012 by Mountain King
News Bilocate - New Album Update 2.5 11.04.2008 by Muhannad Saleh