Official press release:

Sweden's most revered and respected progressive metal mavens Opeth will release Heritage, their third album for Roadrunner, on September 20th. The first video and single will be the song "The Devil's Orchard". Heritage follows up 2008's Watershed and 2005's Ghost Reveries, each of which garnered the forward-thinking, genre-bending band some of the best reviews of their career.

Opeth frontman and guitarist Mikael Åkerfeldt weighed in on Heritage, saying: "It will be our 10th album/observation. I dig it; we all do. In fact, it feels like I've been building up to write for and participate on an album like this since I was 19."

Åkerfeldt went a little deeper and described the music contained within Heritage, saying: "It's quite intense at times in some 'old' murky way, and quite beautiful and stark at times, if I may say so myself. It's obvious I'm going to say nice things about it since I wrote basically the whole piece, but I guess it will raise a few eyebrows and it certainly is an acquired taste. I think you'll need a slightly deeper understanding of our music as a whole to be able to appreciate this record. I've realized my influences for this album are so diverse that I can't really say what it sounds like. If I can compare it to any other band, it would have to be Opeth, but it's different from the stuff we've done before. I've listened a lot to Alice Cooper for the last year, yet I can't say it sounds like 'No More Mr. Nice Guy'. I hope you'll like it once you hear it."

The album was produced by Åkerfeldt and mixed along with Porcupine Tree frontman/guitarist Steven Wilson, who is also a labelmate of Opeth. Longtime collaborator Travis Smith also worked with Åkerfeldt to create, design and execute the album's artwork.

Heritage tracklist:

[Also thanks to Tornado Of Souls for pointing this out in the forum!]

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Opeth

Posted: 26.05.2011 by Unhealer

Comments

Sulac - 26.05.2011 at 22:42
I'm not a hardcore Opeth fan, but I like em enough to say that this is a release I am really anticipating.
Tetravirulence - 26.05.2011 at 22:45
Looks like the songs are going to be a little bit shorter since ten tracks and i was hoping they dont do this for the sake of some roadrunner crap but if they can carry the message fully it really doesnt matter short or long so fingers crossed
Jiri - 26.05.2011 at 22:52
If you want to be cool and progressive, you'd better mention the word: "Marrow" in your album tracklist somewhere.
Storchillarn - 26.05.2011 at 22:53
I have a feeling a lot of so called fans are going to hate this release. =)
Cathval - 26.05.2011 at 23:15
Opeth have never released a bad record. True, there may be one or two I give a spin only once or twice, here or there, but overall their quality speaks for itself. Love the eloquence of the song titles there. However, what will ultimately make or break this album depends solely upon whether or not they decide to merge the Watershed elements with their Deliverance/Still-Life/Blackwater Park sound. I know some fans were turned off by the last album given the fact that it didn't sound reminiscient of the aforementioned albums. Ghost Reveries was a step into a more simplistic direction, whereas Watershed took on a new musical horizon entirely. Hope they pull off something stunning and combine all the era's, essentially.

We'll see...time shall tell.
Andresopeth - 26.05.2011 at 23:18
What a feeling i feel!
I simply can't wait, the only thing i don't like is the quantity of songs, never before an Opeth album had ten songs.
But they would be amazing for sure
DorianGray - 26.05.2011 at 23:22
Mhm I do like it !
Hope this will be another great album
lucjeuken - 26.05.2011 at 23:28
I'm looking really forward to this release. I'm very curious about what they're going to bring with this album. They will deliver quality music for sure. The question is just in what way.
MetalSpider - 26.05.2011 at 23:46
Definitely lookin forward to some new Opeth.
Enemy of Reality - 26.05.2011 at 23:56
"It's different from the stuff we've done before"

hmmm i really hope not..
Unhealer - 26.05.2011 at 23:57
Written by Andresopeth on 26.05.2011 at 23:18

What a feeling i feel!
But they would be amazing for sure

Ten songs... Tenth album... hope this album will be a "ten" also

I suspect some of those songs are short interdules anyway (I can bet money that folklore is at least)
Raziel X - 27.05.2011 at 02:28
ryche76 - 27.05.2011 at 02:44
I have a feeling this will be an alum of the highest quality. Looking forward to this album immensely to hear what Michael has written and produced.
Sworn - 27.05.2011 at 03:05
Written by Storchillarn on 26.05.2011 at 22:53

I have a feeling a lot of so called fans are going to hate this release. =)

I'm sure of that too.
Apothecary - 27.05.2011 at 03:55
Written by Jiri on 26.05.2011 at 22:52

Agalloch lol
Metal_4Ever - 27.05.2011 at 04:33
Wish it will be good
Dark Blood - 27.05.2011 at 04:48
Hmm.. Let's hope it's a good one really. The soung names doesn't convince me that much.
BlankFile - 27.05.2011 at 05:03
"but it's different from the stuff we've done before"

Now this one gave me a little bit of the chills... But still anxious to hear it!
silenius - 27.05.2011 at 05:48
ME GUSTA
Grimskallen - 27.05.2011 at 07:27
There's both a track titled Folklore and another one called Marrow of the earth.... Certinly brings Agalloch's Pale folklore and Marrow of the spirit, to my mind.
Looking really forward to a new Opeth release, I doubt it'll be dissapointing, they never are.
koob - 27.05.2011 at 07:47
I can't wait, Opeth always deliver.
Fallen - 27.05.2011 at 08:16
Bleh another boring opeth album blown out of porportion
Grody2themax - 27.05.2011 at 08:22
Akerfeldt has always done what he wanted with his music. Meaning I don't think he particularly cares much about conforming to the genre, so I'm sure this album will be an interesting manifestation of his. However, I guess I sort of connect to the older albums like MAYH more than the newer Opeth. But I'm definetely still anticipating this release even though I have highly doubt I'll enjoy it as much as early Opeth.
advent - 27.05.2011 at 10:34
Written by Dark Blood on 27.05.2011 at 04:48

Yup , it's sound so cheesy , lets hope it's just another masterpiece.
Sentenced Odiin - 27.05.2011 at 10:57
Nepenthe...
Warman - 27.05.2011 at 11:11
Can't wait!
Arcticus - 27.05.2011 at 12:39
Written by Fallen on 27.05.2011 at 08:16

Bleh another boring opeth album blown out of porportion

Getting a bit ahead of yourself there buddy the first snippets of info have only just been released, the reaction so far has been mild and mixed, and yet you still feel the need to bring the negativity. Let's hear the music before we call it boring shall we

Anyway...personally I haven't disliked any Opeth album yet, but I kind of hope they don't pursue the Watershed direction - it seems a little limiting compared to the endless potential of their earlier releases. Whatever the case, I'm sure I won't be disappointed
BloodTears - 27.05.2011 at 14:13
Not too worried about the song titles as long as they turn out to be good songs.
Fallen - 27.05.2011 at 15:35
Written by Arcticus on 27.05.2011 at 12:39

Written by Fallen on 27.05.2011 at 08:16

Bleh another boring opeth album blown out of porportion

Maybe a bit of negativity in there but mainly my opinion. Idk what it is about the band but I have not liked a single opeth album yet. Yes they make great music, yes Mikael is a great musician and yes blah blah blah. But I just can't get into them. Everything I hear in their music is stuff I've heard before. Sure the lyrics are different but I hear no innovation nothing new just same old boring death metal I've listen to Watershed like 8 times and each time takes days because I get so bored with it. Just my opinion again, I don't wish to summon team Nerdrage on me.
malaikat - 27.05.2011 at 17:01
Written by Fallen on 27.05.2011 at 15:35

Written by Arcticus on 27.05.2011 at 12:39

Written by Fallen on 27.05.2011 at 08:16

Bleh another boring opeth album blown out of porportion

Concerning your first (and partly second) post: if you don't like the band, just say "I don't like them and I couldn't care less for a new release". In that way, you express your subjective opinion. By saying "another Opeth album blown out of proportion" you imply that their albums are objectively bad or over-rated by their listeners, which is not true.
In another words, if it is YOUR OPINION, than say it like it's your opinion, don't just bash the band in general because you can't get into it.
Fallen - 27.05.2011 at 17:19
Written by malaikat on 27.05.2011 at 17:01

Written by Fallen on 27.05.2011 at 15:35

Written by Arcticus on 27.05.2011 at 12:39

Written by Fallen on 27.05.2011 at 08:16

Bleh another boring opeth album blown out of porportion

I believe it is my right to voice my opinion in however way I wish to do so. And you can't say that their albums are not over rated by any standards, you'd be hardpressed to find a metalhead, for lack of a better term, who doesn't like opeth.
Justice - 27.05.2011 at 17:19
I believe this is another great album from the band and I can listen to it in my times of need...
malaikat - 27.05.2011 at 17:38
Written by Fallen on 27.05.2011 at 17:19

Written by malaikat on 27.05.2011 at 17:01

Written by Fallen on 27.05.2011 at 15:35

Written by Arcticus on 27.05.2011 at 12:39

Written by Fallen on 27.05.2011 at 08:16

Bleh another boring opeth album blown out of porportion

Nobody said you can't express your own opinion. The point is that you are expressing yours like it's the objective and ultimate general truth about something, instead of making a subjective distance.
And Opeth albums are not, in any way, over rated. They are just THAT GOOD. That's like saying Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are over rated because "you can't find a rock fan who doesn't like them". Not to mention that it's a very false statement to begin with - not everyone likes Opeth, simple because not everyone likes proggy or death metal sound (or power or trash metal sound or whatever). Some people love Opeth, some people don't, just like any other band out there.
For example, I don't appreciate Dream Theater much, but I wouldn't come on their page and say "another DT album blown out of proportion" because it's not a subjective statement, and it implies that DT are in general over rated band. Expressing my own opinion would be saying "Nah, I don't care, never got into that band anyways" or something like that, which again implies MY own opinion without generalization and demeaning of the band (which I don't even like, subjectively) and it's listeners who "blow them out of proportion".
Kwis - 27.05.2011 at 18:51
Anywaaaaay..... Hopefully we'll be able to get a sample soon. Am really itching for it... If I may say so myself
INÆRIS - 27.05.2011 at 18:56
I hope this album is long playing. I hope the songs aren't too short as well. I'm curious to see what this installment holds.
Megi - 27.05.2011 at 19:12
It's funny to see how some people are so scared of change. Everybody is scared of the fact that Mikael is saying it's a different album?...I don't know, I just find that a little strange really. Devin Townsend can make a near insanity-tech album followed by a chilled lounge release, and he's near genius. Akerfeldt adds in a clarinet, and hes obviously going mainstream...
Guib - 27.05.2011 at 19:43
I just wanna say that since people are arguing up top...

I don't mind overrated bands and seriously who should ?
Think of it this way. An overrated band that is good stays good.. its not because the band is overrated that his music will start sucking necessarily.
LoudBoy26 - 27.05.2011 at 21:20
Should Be Killer, They Stand Alone In There Music , Words And To There Approach Of What They Should Sound Like. I Think The Masses Are Finely Staring To Get It! They've Worked Hard For It And Stuck To There Guns. Release The Hounds OPETH HAS Come Of Age!
Storchillarn - 27.05.2011 at 21:37
Written by Cathval on 26.05.2011 at 23:15

Hmm.. I'd say Ghost Reveries is far from simplistic. Blackwater Park is simplistic, if you can even use that term to describe Opeth.
NocturnalStalker - 27.05.2011 at 22:33
Written by Storchillarn on 27.05.2011 at 21:37

I totally agree. I think that "Ghost Reveries" was the first step in the direction where "Watershed" followed. And I hope the new one will follow. Though it's also nice that there'll be some elements of the older stuff but I think there always were. Anyway, I'm expecting something great from them. Maybe even an album of the year for me.
Panterica - 28.05.2011 at 13:44
I really hope it'll be better than Watershed. I ain't sure why but I couldn't really get into this one...
TheWiseNoob - 28.05.2011 at 13:45
Written by Apothecary on 27.05.2011 at 03:55

Written by Jiri on 26.05.2011 at 22:52

Agalloch lol

Agalloch doesn't have marrow anywhere in their tracklist, it's part of the title of an album.

But I still love you.
Fallen - 28.05.2011 at 17:09
Written by malaikat on 27.05.2011 at 17:38

Written by Fallen on 27.05.2011 at 17:19

Written by malaikat on 27.05.2011 at 17:01

Written by Fallen on 27.05.2011 at 15:35

Written by Arcticus on 27.05.2011 at 12:39

Written by Fallen on 27.05.2011 at 08:16

Bleh another boring opeth album blown out of porportion

I love proggressive and death metal believe me theres just something about opeth that doesn't allow me to get into it, probably for my constant need for innovation because there are just so many sound a like bands out there that i can't be anoyed to listen to them if there is no innovation, innovation makes music better.
Opethian - 29.05.2011 at 08:24
Great news! I love everything about Opeth! I know it will be another killer release from a band that does not disappoint

(tracklist reminds me of Agalloch)
blackdoomy - 02.06.2011 at 16:14
Cant wait!!
akvan - 17.06.2011 at 22:58
Written by Opethian on 29.05.2011 at 08:24

(tracklist reminds me of Agalloch)

SSM - 21.06.2011 at 02:34
Names... are just names, wait for the music.
Night Sight - 18.07.2011 at 14:03
I want something like damnation stuff witch i consider the best opeth album
AXA - 27.07.2011 at 23:27
I want hear this album fucking soon ....
I cant wait pleas .... i need the album \../
any thing Opeth ...
AXA - 27.07.2011 at 23:48
Written by AXA on 27.07.2011 at 23:45

Hail yeah Opeth
my anticipating abut the album will be destroyer an amazing album
every think new ... because Opeth have every think new and good
i dont know maybe we can hear some awesome folk death metal by amazing vocals Mikael Åkerfeldt and music extreme Death Progressive metal ...
good wishes for the Pest metal band in the Progressive Death metal : Opeth
becaus he know what we need
and what we want \../

News Opeth - New Album Title And Tracklist Revealed 10.5 08.04.2014 by Alondate
News Elis - New Album Cover Artwork, Tracklist Revealed 7 28.09.2009 by dismaleuphony
News Ihsahn - New Album Tracklist And Release Date Revealed 7 01.11.2009 by Black Conundrum
News Dark End - New Album Cover Art And Tracklist Revealed 7 11.02.2012 by Cynic Metalhead
News Nightwish - New Album Release Date, Cover Art & Tracklist Revealed 7 09.09.2011 by