Metal Storm logo
Discuss Dark Souls

Original post

Posted by Guib, 22.10.2011 - 23:24
So lately I've been playing Dark Souls, the recent follow up of Demon's Souls. Don't know if you guys played this one but hell its hard, harder than Demon that is.
Anyways, for those who don't know the game, its a third person RPG where you are left on your own, with not much hope and a huge variety of deadly creatures. Lets just say that... YOU WILL DIE. No matter how good you think you are, you'll die impaled, burned, crushed, sliced, poisoned, cursed, falling down endless holes, decapitated (and more). Basically you can build your character the way you like, you can use Magic, Melee weapons, Shields, Ranged weapons and a great variety of items for people who like long investment games, this is one of them.

So that said, I've been trying to kill the Moonlight Butterfly.. after dealing with the gargoyles on the church I was wondering if anyone could give me some hints on defeating that flying piece of shit cos I've been trying again and again, can't seem to do much against it ... lol

Discuss !!!
29.10.2011 - 02:33
@gent_-_orange
Written by MetalSpider on 29.10.2011 at 01:59

I still haven't picked this game up yet...and I was a huge fan of Demon's Souls. I'll probably pick it up soon...although Skyrim is also coming soon...gah!

Indeed, Two awesome RPG's coming out so close ill be getting both, Regardless Dark Souls is highly recommended, its just awesome.

Finally decided to fight the final boss today, Beat him on the fourth try. He is hard as hell if you dont know when he will do his attacks. But damn, Dat feel of satisfaction after beating the game.
30.10.2011 - 11:13
whatsacow

I still haven't picked this game up yet...and I was a huge fan of Demon's Souls. I'll probably pick it up soon...although Skyrim is also coming soon...gah!

I'd highly reccomend this game, its just amazing. I cannot reccomend this game enough.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
30.10.2011 - 14:53
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by whatsacow on 30.10.2011 at 11:13

I'd highly reccomend this game, its just amazing. I cannot reccomend this game enough.

So did you fight the hydra yet I didn't really want to approach it, looks fucking dangerous
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
30.10.2011 - 18:20
whatsacow
Written by Guib on 30.10.2011 at 14:53

Written by whatsacow on 30.10.2011 at 11:13

So did you fight the hydra yet I didn't really want to approach it, looks fucking dangerous

The hydra's pretty easy. Just get close enough so it attacks you with its heads, not its ranged attack. Keep your shield up, and go in and when it attacks, hit it and chop its heads off. Word of warning though: Dont get too close. Theres a drop off point under the water surrounding it and you will die if you fall in it. GO in with your camera facing the ground so you know where the drop off point is.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
04.08.2012 - 03:00
@gent_-_orange
Anyone getting stoked for the Prepare to die edition? tbh I'm more excited for this add on then I am for most of the games that are coming out this year.
08.08.2012 - 09:15
whatsacow
Written by @gent_-_orange on 04.08.2012 at 03:00

Anyone getting stoked for the Prepare to die edition? tbh I'm more excited for this add on then I am for most of the games that are coming out this year.

Yeah I am. I've pre-ordered the pc version on steam. Can't wait!
----
08.08.2012 - 09:15
whatsacow
Written by @gent_-_orange on 04.08.2012 at 03:00

----
08.08.2012 - 09:52
oblong
Account deleted
I'm in, looks like this will be out before Torchlight anyway.
08.08.2012 - 13:57
@gent_-_orange
Written by whatsacow on 08.08.2012 at 09:15

Same here, to be honest I'd rather just be playing dark souls again rather then playing some of the new games that are coming out, Dark souls is just that good of game.
09.08.2012 - 03:58
whatsacow
Written by @gent_-_orange on 08.08.2012 at 13:57

Same here, to be honest I'd rather just be playing dark souls again rather then playing some of the new games that are coming out, Dark souls is just that good of game.

Yeah, it took me months to finally get "hooked on skyrim" because I just couldnt compare it to Dark Souls. I want more games like this!
----
09.08.2012 - 08:35
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by whatsacow on 09.08.2012 at 03:58

Yeah, it took me months to finally get "hooked on skyrim" because I just couldnt compare it to Dark Souls. I want more games like this!

I think you really should try Dragon's Dogma... It has some of Dark Souls moments and some of Skyrim... its really fucked up but addictive
If you liked both you'll clearly enjoy this game.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.08.2012 - 06:57
whatsacow
Written by Guib on 09.08.2012 at 08:35

I think you really should try Dragon's Dogma... It has some of Dark Souls moments and some of Skyrim... its really fucked up but addictive

Its an xbox exclusive isn't it? Thats the only reason I havent yet, I don't have my xbox at college.
----
10.08.2012 - 23:25
@gent_-_orange
Written by whatsacow on 10.08.2012 at 06:57

Its an xbox exclusive isn't it? Thats the only reason I havent yet, I don't have my xbox at college.

Its a console exclusive, unfortunately there is no pc version.
11.08.2012 - 04:36
whatsacow
Written by @gent_-_orange on 10.08.2012 at 23:25

Written by whatsacow on 10.08.2012 at 06:57

Its a console exclusive, unfortunately there is no pc version.

Ah... I'm strictly pc gamer atm. Not because I'm elitist or anything. Steam is cheaper and as a college student, that means everything also, my tv won't fit in my room, so my brother has my xbox, my uncle has my ps3 and my nan has my wii... so yeah. It's holidays now though, so I might give it a shot.
----
14.08.2012 - 02:16
MetalSpider
I got Dark Souls when it first came out and I only played for a little bit and haven't played it since. I loved Demon Souls but for some reason just never got into Dark Souls. I guess I had other games I was playing at the time. I should definitely try it again.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
14.08.2012 - 16:07
whatsacow

I'm having a bit of trouble getting into this game. I don't know why, it's just not mixing right for me yet.
----
15.08.2012 - 00:04
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by whatsacow on 14.08.2012 at 16:07

I'm having a bit of trouble getting into this game. I don't know why, it's just not mixing right for me yet.

give it few hours and you'll see... I had the same problem at first but once you get into it, man you'll be hooked
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.08.2012 - 18:12
whatsacow
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Guib on 15.08.2012 at 00:04

give it few hours and you'll see... I had the same problem at first but once you get into it, man you'll be hooked

Alright. I'll give it a go.
----
27.08.2012 - 03:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Clocked 30 hours so far and at soul level 65, STR 14, VIT 27, END 28, DEX 32 etc. Gone for a DEX build, though from what I've read that's not the greatest idea as magic weapons are supposed to be the best. Eventually going for a +15 normal Uchigatana which seems to be one of the few good ways to use a DEX build. What have I beaten so far... not much actually. Taurus, Gargoyles, Capra (piece of cake after everything I heard, but then it was because of everything I heard that made me put him off till I was massively overpowered), Moonlight Butterfly... think that's it. Hasn't been that hard so far but from what I've seen and read with the likes of Four Kings and Ornstein + Smough shit gets a lot harder. I'm probably just gonna grind and grind until I feel relatively safe to carry on pushing through newer areas.
27.08.2012 - 11:53
Slayer666
Guess I'll be "that guy" and just say it: I'm not too impressed with this. It feels less like an engrossing RPG adventure (which is what it's supposed to be) and more like a survival game. I don't get the feeling that I'm supposed to accomplish something huge and meaningful, the only goal I seem to have is to survive between two bonfires. I also don't like how MMO-ish grinding is not only allowed, but encouraged.

That said, it's nice to finally play a game that doesn't assume you're retarded and doesn't hold your hand all the way through. It's one tough bitch, that's for sure. I just wish the way to overcome its challenges was more through skill and thoughtful play than grinding your ass off...

Also, I think I made a mistake of going Sorcerer with full INT build. Sure, my Soul Arrows do a lot of damage, but I'm extremely vulnerable. One or two hits from more powerful foes and I'm dead.
27.08.2012 - 14:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 27.08.2012 at 11:53

That said, it's nice to finally play a game that doesn't assume you're retarded and doesn't hold your hand all the way through. It's one tough bitch, that's for sure. I just wish the way to overcome its challenges was more through skill and thoughtful play than grinding your ass off...

If there's something I've learned from this game is that grinding only accounts for about 20% of your success in bosses. Your defence goes up such a piddling little amount that damage taken from level 30 will seem almost exactly the same as when you're at level 60. Skill is exactly what gets your through bosses, as well as some foresight in what equipment you use (but still knowing how the boss fights is key). Armour is not so much for defense rather than either being light enough for your to scoot around on your feet or having a decent Poise level in which you don't stagger when you get hit. Shields are more for either parrying for light fighters or having high Stability so you can absorb attacks without it sucking out your stamina, etc.

You can still die from two hits even if you have a melee tank fighter or what have you.
27.08.2012 - 16:22
Slayer666
Written by [user id=4365] on 27.08.2012 at 14:49

If there's something I've learned from this game is that grinding only accounts for about 20% of your success in bosses.

Disagreed. I used to get my ass kicked by even the mini-bosses (like that iron boar thingy) because by the time I can get to them, I've already used up 20 Soul Arrows and the remaining 10 just don't do enough damage (and neither did my pathetic little dagger). The actual bosses, like that Capra fucker, would wipe the floor with me in a time span between 2 and 4 seconds.

So then, I buckled down and grinded for at least 4 hours straight. Just pure grind, kill a few nearby enemies, rest at a bonfire, rinse and repeat. I gathered enough souls to raise my STR a little, just enough so I can wield a longsword which does infinitely more damage than a dagger. I also leveled my Atunement to 19, thus gaining 5 spell slots. I saved Griggs, bought one more Soul Arrow from him, as well as one Heavy Soul Arrow and Great Soul Arrow (and one Magic Weapon, for the lulz).

This completely eliminated my lack-of-spell problem as well as any need to get anywhere close to any enemy. Now, pretty much everyone is my bitch. I just roll away, fire a Great Soul Arrow, roll away rinse and repeat. The Capra was still a bit fucked up, because the area you fight him in is quite small, but once I noticed that staircase, I could apply my strategy here too.

tl;dr Grinding appears to be the only way to advance in this game, which I find is a major flaw.
27.08.2012 - 16:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 27.08.2012 at 16:22

Disagreed. I used to get my ass kicked by even the mini-bosses (like that iron boar thingy) because by the time I can get to them, I've already used up 20 Soul Arrows and the remaining 10 just don't do enough damage (and neither did my pathetic little dagger). The actual bosses, like that Capra fucker, would wipe the floor with me in a time span between 2 and 4 seconds.

So then, I buckled down and grinded for at least 4 hours straight. Just pure grind, kill a few nearby enemies, rest at a bonfire, rinse and repeat. I gathered enough souls to raise my STR a little, just enough so I can wield a longsword which does infinitely more damage than a dagger. I also leveled my Atunement to 19, thus gaining 5 spell slots. I saved Griggs, bought one more Soul Arrow from him, as well as one Heavy Soul Arrow and Great Soul Arrow (and one Magic Weapon, for the lulz).

This completely eliminated my lack-of-spell problem as well as any need to get anywhere close to any enemy. Now, pretty much everyone is my bitch. I just roll away, fire a Great Soul Arrow, roll away rinse and repeat. The Capra was still a bit fucked up, because the area you fight him in is quite small, but once I noticed that staircase, I could apply my strategy here too.

tl;dr Grinding appears to be the only way to advance in this game, which I find is a major flaw.

Sounds like you just suck a bit Ok maybe grind is a part of the game, but then that goes with the game's ethos that hard work gets you rewards etc, otherwise you might as well just remove leveling altogether and have it purely skill and equipment based. But then you've basically got a Zelda-clone. I'm fairly sure there's not a single boss that can't be beaten with technique over heavy-grinding. I've seen examples of people beating the hardest bosses in the game at relatively low levels which shows it can be done.
27.08.2012 - 17:22
Slayer666
Written by [user id=4365] on 27.08.2012 at 16:27

I've seen examples of people beating the hardest bosses in the game at relatively low levels which shows it can be done.

Oh, definitively. But I'm pretty sure those people used the high stamina + shield tactic which does make most bosses pretty easy, which is more of a cheap exploit rather than skill/technique or such. So far, I've yet to find a single person on YouTube that doesn't use high stamina + shield combat style to deal with bosses.
27.08.2012 - 17:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 27.08.2012 at 17:22

Oh, definitively. But I'm pretty sure those people used the high stamina + shield tactic which does make most bosses pretty easy, which is more of a cheap exploit rather than skill/technique or such. So far, I've yet to find a single person on YouTube that doesn't use high stamina + shield combat style to deal with bosses.

Most bosses easy? I'm fairly sure no build of any sort makes the later bosses easy. I've seen level 90+ people with three summons complaining that they can't beat this boss, but this guy does it on his/her own with no armour, the worst shield in the game and a reasonable amount of stamina (about 32 by the looks of it), but does it knowing its moves down to a T:

27.08.2012 - 21:35
Slayer666
^
I don't suppose that ungodly amount of health has anything to do with it? He survives even though he's being hit a fair number of times.

I dunno, I've yet to face the later bosses, I'm talking about the ones I've beaten so far (Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon, Capra Demon, Moonlight Butterfly and Bell Gargoyles).
27.08.2012 - 23:57
@gent_-_orange
Grinding isn't the only way to go, But it can be used to steam roll bosses who are giving you trouble, But the biggest asset in this game is knowledge without a doubt. Your hardest playthrough will always be the first because you dont know how to make the most efficient builds or the locations of the most useful items.

Anyone know about the high res fix? It is a massive improvement over vanilla, you can download it using the link but read the Readme file before using it. http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=127
28.08.2012 - 02:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 27.08.2012 at 21:35

^
I don't suppose that ungodly amount of health has anything to do with it? He survives even though he's being hit a fair number of times.

I dunno, I've yet to face the later bosses, I'm talking about the ones I've beaten so far (Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon, Capra Demon, Moonlight Butterfly and Bell Gargoyles).

Ungodly? It's only about half way across the screen. That's about 33 or 34 VIT I reckon, not much really for that stage of the game, about what I've got on my playthrough. He's buffing himself so I'm guessing that's why he's not taking too much damage. Seriously though, anyone that can time their rolls to avoid those swings deserves some major credit. I'm dreading fighting that boss anyway.

Written by @gent_-_orange on 27.08.2012 at 23:57

Grinding isn't the only way to go, But it can be used to steam roll bosses who are giving you trouble, But the biggest asset in this game is knowledge without a doubt. Your hardest playthrough will always be the first because you dont know how to make the most efficient builds or the locations of the most useful items.

Anyone know about the high res fix? It is a massive improvement over vanilla, you can download it using the link but read the Readme file before using it. http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=127

Yeah the hi-res fix makes it look quite nice indeed. The only bug I've noticed is that the hint marks on the floor don't display any words, but then that just makes it more challenging

But yeah, another day on it today. Currently level 88. Swapped weapons to a Balder Side Sword which I gleaned from a Balder Knight. Such a well balanced weapon. Today I ploughed through Sif, Chaos Witch Quelaag, Gaping Dragon and Stray Demon. None of them caused me too much trouble really.
29.08.2012 - 02:55
whatsacow
Written by [user id=4365] on 28.08.2012 at 02:44

Written by Slayer666 on 27.08.2012 at 21:35

^

Ungodly? It's only about half way across the screen. That's about 33 or 34 VIT I reckon, not much really for that stage of the game, about what I've got on my playthrough. He's buffing himself so I'm guessing that's why he's not taking too much damage. Seriously though, anyone that can time their rolls to avoid those swings deserves some major credit. I'm dreading fighting that boss anyway.

Written by @gent_-_orange on 27.08.2012 at 23:57

Yeah the hi-res fix makes it look quite nice indeed. The only bug I've noticed is that the hint marks on the floor don't display any words, but then that just makes it more challenging

But yeah, another day on it today. Currently level 88. Swapped weapons to a Balder Side Sword which I gleaned from a Balder Knight. Such a well balanced weapon. Today I ploughed through Sif, Chaos Witch Quelaag, Gaping Dragon and Stray Demon. None of them caused me too much trouble really.

All you have do is be extremely quick or you'll be outnumbered.

And the game encourages grinding early on, but in later levels it discourages it. It becomes damn near impossible to get enough souls to level up, and once you reach a certain level, you start losing points. So no, grinding isnt everything in the game, it does expect you to have skill. And you really need an all rounder character. If you specialise in one thing, you'll have your ass handed to you.
----
29.08.2012 - 04:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by whatsacow on 29.08.2012 at 02:55

All you have do is be extremely quick or you'll be outnumbered.

And the game encourages grinding early on, but in later levels it discourages it. It becomes damn near impossible to get enough souls to level up, and once you reach a certain level, you start losing points. So no, grinding isnt everything in the game, it does expect you to have skill. And you really need an all rounder character. If you specialise in one thing, you'll have your ass handed to you.

Saying that, I think I've grinded too much (currently at SL 103 I think). The NPCs in the wooded/forest bit of Darkroot Garden become easy pray and die within two strikes of a +10 Great Scythe so I did that for an hour and a bit. Got to and from the bonfire with 7000 souls in about 50 seconds. Bosses haven't really challenged me for a while now. Just this moment got into Anor Londo so getting a fair way into it now (currently clocked 52 hours). Then again I also have the bonus content to tackle too.