02. Sons Of Winter And Stars
    1 - Rain Of Stars
    2 - Surrounded By Darkness
    3 - Journey Inside A Dream
    4 - Sons Of Winter And Stars
03. Land Of Snow And Sorrow
04. Darkness And Frost
05. Time

One of the most highly anticipated albums of the last decade; Time I finally ends the eight year silence, but was the wait worth it?

After the charming Eastern folk influenced introduction, it soon becomes apparent that things have changed with the band in the last eight years. From the album theme of comprehending human emotion and our time on earth to the musicianship and ambitious nature of the orchestrations, Wintersun have aimed for a much grander sound.

Much more symphonic, bombastic even, "Sons Of Winter And Stars" kicks the album off with high spirit and energy. Eight years all of a sudden becomes a little more understandable with the amount of attention to detail and intricate compositions that are so copiously and lavishly interlaced into the music. The musicianship is absolutely top-notch throughout and the closing two minutes of the song provide a wonderfully epic and memorable crescendo.

The album has so many layers, it is deeply ambitious. Time I is an album that has very clearly had so much dedication and effort put into it, but at times it also sounds like Jari has become so consumed with making this the masterpiece everyone wanted that it becomes a little over-indulgent with how complex and dense the compositions are. We are presented a masterclass of orchestration in metal, but it is a challenge to digest and connect with.

With a running time of forty minutes, which includes the introduction and interlude, Time I as a standalone album is very short. The previously mentioned "Sons Of Winter And Stars" and title track "Time" are both great songs and enough to make you crave the second album, but it is hard not to feel underwhelmed when the album seems to cut short. It isn't made any better with a questionable light and quiet production either. Time I then is exactly that; the first of two halves, not the complete article.

The album is mindblowingly impressive in portions, but is just a little too complex and indulgent for its own good. Perhaps along with Time II the picture will become complete, but even though this album has some golden moments - it just feels unfinished alone.

-

Symphonic Extreme Power metal
Nuclear Blast
Finland
Length: 40:07

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 7

Written on 22.10.2012 by Member of Staff since 2006

Guest review by
Bad English
Rating:
Wintersun - is it real? Well, no, it isn't. We hardly see the sun; for four whole weeks, it never shines.

Allow me to copy the style of DerRozzengarten (the greatest reviewer ever), who knows how to write proper metaphors. Such music is never meant to explain northern life for people who have never actually walked on a frozen river or cleared snow from their car before work (I'm not taking a jab at the French, Dutch, or Danish, who usually overreact when they see 1 cm of snow). Imagine the pre-internet days: it's blizzard beasts, mid-winter, the sun never shines, just 22 hours of darkness and twilight in between. There is nothing to do, only good music, books, or finding a way to channel your creativity. Outside activities, aside from collecting firewood and cleaning snow? I don't think so (but wait a minute, Jari lives in the city anyway?). Anyway, the streets are dead and frozen, the horizon is dark, and night light is ablaze on the snow. All you can do is wait for spring and then summer to arrive slowly. I've done it all my life, still do, and we all did. It's typical northern madness!

Read more ››
published 20.12.2016 | Comments (10)

Comments page 6 / 8

Comments: 216   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 1217 users
24.10.2012 - 03:48
Rating: 9
Italics
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.10.2012 at 12:19

Written by Uldreth on 23.10.2012 at 12:10

I know he isn't, I just said he starts sounding like him

sorry for misunderstanding you. I woke up not too long ago,

Then you honestly should stop staying up so late researching stuff so you can "counter" me. Now I literally am becoming concerned for you. I should stop posting in this thread solely for your physical well-being.
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
24.10.2012 - 07:10
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Daggon on 23.10.2012 at 19:18

And some people dare to say this is not generic? I can write no less than ten similar bands in less than a minute without even thinking about it!

Could you possibly make such a list please? And why is this Italics douche not banned/his posts removed?
24.10.2012 - 08:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by [user id=111774] on 24.10.2012 at 07:10

And why is this Italics douche not banned/his posts removed?

If people could be banned for making unquantifiably poor, self-oriented arguments and being stuck in a total loop then he would be banned, but unfortunately (really) that's not a crime here.

It's like arguing with a goldfish; you can yell, shout and reason with it all you want. It doesn't matter; the same points, the same total and complete nonsense and aimless drivel will be brought up again with no recourse.
24.10.2012 - 08:30
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
This took 8 years to make? I mean it's ok, but to me it feels like a handful of interludes amongst 3 aimless, meandering tracks, too long for their own good.

That being said, it's basically the same reaction I had to the first album; enough interesting parts to pull me in, but not enough substance to keep me interested.

It's ok, that's about it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.10.2012 - 09:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Italics on 24.10.2012 at 03:31

You still seem worked up based off of your language and lengthy responses... but by all means, if you want to insist that you're not upset, be my guest. It reminds me of a person screaming "I'M NOT F***ING ANGRY!!!"

Umm, if you say so?

Quote:
And I understood your "points" (weak as they are) plenty fine... I just found your misspellings and awkward grammar amusing. That's all. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Umm, what awkward spellings and grammar? (please, educate me)

Quote:

I'll leave the irony of this one untouched.

What irony?

Quote:

Actually no, no it's not. Realistically, you know it's not, too - but I'm not expecting you to admit to that any time soon. All it did was prove that a genre that truly is "noise" attracts more fans than the mindless drivel that you fill your ears with.

What? When did you prove anything?

Quote:
Again - it's hard for me to tell at times whose cause you're trying to further here. I should just let you debate yourself from here on out... it'd be more effective AND more entertaining. It's like the whole "fun AND educational" thing... you know... two birds, one stone.

What? This is a non-sequitur of no meaning about anything.

Quote:

Anyway, what I'm REALLY trying to say here is... thank you for agreeing with me on this one.

Eh? When did this happen?

Quote:

Oh, and by the way... I got a chuckle (literally, I did!) out of you saying "I like how you ignored my second example" and then proceeding to quote my response to your second example. Well done, soldier! Your foot is gonna look like swiss cheese by the time we're done here...

Seriously...: What? What in God's drivel are you even on about?

Quote:

To the idea that I don't "understand" your "music":
1) There is nothing much to dissect with the music you enjoy. 99% of it is noise. You yourself - if I were to remove the tags from all your songs - would probably be incapable of telling one song from the next. It's wildly unpopular - even less popular (as you kindly demonstrated for me already - again, thanks!) than some of the most unpopular genres on the planet.

Apparently, according to your rating, you've only ever listened to Immortal (which you gave the minimum scores). So what would you know about my music seeing as you chose it arbitrarily and have never listened to any of it?

Quote:

2) You obviously feel that you have some sort of advanced taste in music that 99.99% of humans don't have... I get that. It doesn't make you any less wrong.

Actually I feel like I have advanced KNOWLEDGE of music that you NEVER had. I think 99.99% of people could comprehend my tastes. You are part of the 00.01% that could not.
Quote:

(Oh, and by the way, your original argument with the bands I picked was that I was selective or had some sort of agenda with who I chose. After I pointed out that I just took the first line, you conveniently changed your tune. I'm loving the flip-flopping... it truly is election season!

What? What on high heaven are you on about?

Quote:

Thanks for using my own words to portray an idea that you were not adequately able to put into words yourself. Are you beginning to see why I'm having a hard time distinguishing whose side you're on here?

I'm on the side of reason, sanity and clarity. What side are you on?

Quote:
Yes... you have been extremely level-headed. Hence the constant name-calling of "butthurt" (about?) and the angsty+lengthy responses you've made for me.

I'm not the one clasping at bizarre, made up arguments and non-points that never existed

This dialogue has been... educational.
24.10.2012 - 09:26
HumanSpirit
Written by Alex F on 22.10.2012 at 21:32

Written by [user id=109246] on 22.10.2012 at 21:30

You should... You never know how many excellent (or very bad) albums/bands are there you haven't heard so far.

I would say it's more safe to say Wintersun are among the best than calling them average. There are tons of average to bad bands... But there aren't tons of excellent bands out there.

You're right, there are tons of average to bad bands, and Wintersun are among them

After a little peek at your fave bands and seeing Mastodon among them, you can't be taken srsly. Sorry kid, you need to learn about music.
24.10.2012 - 09:37
HumanSpirit
Written by malaikat on 23.10.2012 at 02:27

Metalstorm staff trying to sound all edgy® and progressive?;
Metalstorm users trying to hide fanboyism and innability to provide decent argument on both sides;

Yep another glorious thread on MS.

lol. Check mate. Cheers mate, you deserve a cold one.
24.10.2012 - 10:43
Rating: 8
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
When is someone just gonna use the closing track from Gold Cobra?

Written by [user id=4365] on 24.10.2012 at 08:04

Written by [user id=111774] on 24.10.2012 at 07:10

It's like arguing with a goldfish;

Re-name him Klaus?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
24.10.2012 - 11:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Italics on 24.10.2012 at 03:36

Anyway, no need for me to delve into this one too much. You're attempting to prove to me that Meads of Asphodel are more popular/better than Sonata Arctica because they played/sold out at some random venue.

Meads Of Apshodel?

where in God's name did I ever mention them? First off they never played that venue here and secondly I would never go see them.

Random venue?
Nope, totally not, 013 in Tilburg was chosen because they programme ALL sorts of metal (besides pop, jazz and other music) and is the best known metal venue in The Netherlands with the best sound system, best lay-out etc etc. But you wouldn't know since you don't live here.
And I was comparing the bands playing the exact same venue where most of them have played in festivals as well and those festivals didn't sell out, whereas Roadburn sells out every single year (with like I said last year in a record breaking 7 minutes).

Quote:

Actually... you're comparing a festival to a single band...

Almost all the bands mentioned also played different sorts of festivals in 013 and not a single one of those festivals sold out.

I am sure that Sonata Arctica and all those bands are more popular than the bands I go to see, but live they don't draw any substantial crowds either. Most probably because fans of popular bands are usually not as dedicated seeing the bands they like live when you compare them to fans of so-called totally unpopular bands.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.10.2012 - 11:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Italics on 24.10.2012 at 03:48

Then you honestly should stop staying up so late researching stuff so you can "counter" me. Now I literally am becoming concerned for you. I should stop posting in this thread solely for your physical well-being.

so now all of a sudden you're an expert on someone's health and how long they should sleep and how they should spend their days off?

As for "countering" at least I come up with fatcs unlike you, sir.

You are one funny little man.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.10.2012 - 14:29
Rating: 5
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by HumanSpirit on 24.10.2012 at 09:26

After a little peek at your fave bands and seeing Mastodon among them, you can't be taken srsly. Sorry kid, you need to learn about music.

So you're saying that because I enjoy Mastodon my opinion can't be taken seriously? That's like me telling everyone on this page that since they enjoy Wintersun they can't be taken "srsly". Learn how to spell and learn how to deal with people having differing opinions.
24.10.2012 - 15:19
MeloDeathViking
Well, back to the review/album here. I agree with Baz on the fact that the album seems almost in complete. I love the music that's on it, but I feel like we won't know what the album truly sounds like until Time II comes out. I believe they are probably two pieces of one whole. First thing I do when Time II comes out is make a playlist of I & II together and listen to it in order.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
24.10.2012 - 15:38
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 24.10.2012 at 15:19

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.10.2012 at 11:27

Anyway, no need for me to delve into this one too much. You're attempting to prove to me that Meads of Asphodel are more popular/better than Sonata Arctica because they played/sold out at some random venue.

Except The Meads of Asphodel have never played live. Ever. Nice little knowledge fail there my little goldfish friend.

Joe, I think you wanted to quote a different person...
24.10.2012 - 15:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

Except The Meads of Asphodel have never played live. Ever. Nice little knowledge fail there my little goldfish friend.
24.10.2012 - 15:41
fanapathy
Get a room guys. Is this even occasionally being modded
24.10.2012 - 16:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 24.10.2012 at 15:39

DEAR LORD!

They must be AWFUL because they don't play life therefore there's no audience... so no fans... DAMN your bands really SUCK.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.10.2012 - 16:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.10.2012 at 16:10

DEAR LORD!

They must be AWFUL because they don't play life therefore there's no audience... so no fans... DAMN your bands really SUCK.

Yep, clearly no one would ever go to their shows because no one likes them.
24.10.2012 - 16:30
Oriax
WTF! A 2 day old Review and its already got 197 comments!?!

Just to point something out here (that might already have been mentioned..?)
The Average of your rating (10 I 9 I 9 I 7) = 8.75 / 10
Ag but I agree with your score never the less.
24.10.2012 - 16:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Oriax on 24.10.2012 at 16:30

Just to point something out here (that might already have been mentioned..?)
The Average of your rating (10 I 9 I 9 I 7) = 8.75 / 10

Yes, and it has been explained that those four together do not necessarily make up the final score
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.10.2012 - 16:52
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by [user id=4365] on 24.10.2012 at 09:13

Holy shit quoting

This amused me, i didn't know when it was going to end
24.10.2012 - 23:02
HumanSpirit
Written by Alex F on 24.10.2012 at 14:29

Written by HumanSpirit on 24.10.2012 at 09:26

So you're saying that because I enjoy Mastodon my opinion can't be taken seriously? That's like me telling everyone on this page that since they enjoy Wintersun they can't be taken "srsly". Learn how to spell and learn how to deal with people having differing opinions.

English is NOT my main language (thank God) but your argument is EXACTLY what I mean.

learn how to deal with people having differing opinions.

You dont like Wintersun? Fine, nobody will get hurt but implying they are an average band just because you dont like them? Are you even a musician? I bet a six pack you arent...

So, practice what you preach kid. You dont like a band, good, but don't go around thinking you are a music know-it-all when your own taste is rather questionable.

Cheers.
24.10.2012 - 23:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by HumanSpirit on 24.10.2012 at 23:02

You dont like Wintersun? Fine, nobody will get hurt but implying they are an average band just because you dont like them? Are you even a musician? I bet a six pack you arent...
So, practice what you preach kid. You dont like a band, good, but don't go around thinking you are a music know-it-all when your own taste is rather questionable.
Cheers.

He's not a musician... so what?
So if you want to...Let's say: Give your thoughts about a movie. You have to be a director, right? Or at least have quite some experience in the whole movie industry, right?
Because that's what you are saying... and It's retarded. He can say whatever he wants about any band... and so can you! I alsoI don't remember reading anywhere that he claimed he was a "know-it-all" so the "practice what you preach" argument is not really valid here.

Also... Man, you must have some sad inferiority problems if you dismiss someone's opinion just because of a band they listen to.
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.10.2012 - 01:08
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick

English is NOT my main language (thank God) but your argument is EXACTLY what I mean.

Cheers.

I am absolutely and utterly confused by your statements. What does me (not) being a musician have to with anything? I don't go around thinking I am a music "know-it-all"... you were the one who stated that my opinion was de-validated by my liking of Mastodon. You don't like Mastodon, I happen to, and that lead you to believe that my opinion couldn't be taken seriously, that's completely unreasonable. Also I didn't realize that English wasn't your primary language, I was being slightly closed minded by assuming so, so sorry for attacking your spelling
25.10.2012 - 01:50
HumanSpirit
Written by Alex F on 25.10.2012 at 01:08

Cheers.

I am absolutely and utterly confused by your statements. What does me (not) being a musician have to with anything? I don't go around thinking I am a music "know-it-all"... you were the one who stated that my opinion was de-validated by my liking of Mastodon. You don't like Mastodon, I happen to, and that lead you to believe that my opinion couldn't be taken seriously, that's completely unreasonable. Also I didn't realize that English wasn't your primary language, I was being slightly closed minded by assuming so, so sorry for attacking your spelling

Dont worry about the spelling thing, common problem in international websites lol.

What I meant with my musician statment is that you cant go around saying " X band is an average band"... What are your bases? On what argument? And thats why I brought Mastodon to the mix here, I dont like them, I really dont appreaciate their music BUT I DONT SAY THEY ARE AN AVERAGE, BAD, SHIT OR ADJECTIVE YOU WANT BAND.

That's the main issue... Im not defending Wintersun, I like em yeah but it's not my band lol Im just making a point out here that everyone has different tastes.

Now back to Wintersun, to be honest I did get a little butthurt, I wont say "Wintersun music is the most complex metal in the world omg omg" nah... But in composition and song writting they are actually very structural and (If I may) progressive... (except the lyrics, I cant stand any more "IM SO SAD AND IM FREEZING" kind of shit lol)

Anyway, I wasnt trying to start a fight or anything bro, Im chill... You cant take the interwebz srsly.

btw, I only quoted you and answered straight to you and wont waste my TIME (lol) on Mr. Doctor. Again... this wasnt a internet fight. Cheers mate.
25.10.2012 - 02:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by HumanSpirit on 25.10.2012 at 01:50
What I meant with my musician statment is that you cant go around saying " X band is an average band"... What are your bases? On what argument?

That's the thing dude... What base? What argument?

He doesn't need one... it's called an opinion. If he finds it average and boring. That's how it is to him. The same way you find Mastodon awful and just the same way I really don't like broccoli... I don't need any basis for taste, if you don't like it you just don't and the beautiful thing is that you DO have the right to say it out loud if you feel like it.

Just to be clear... I'm not fighting with you. I'm just commenting on something. It's a forum after all so hopefully you won'y take my comments as a personal attack.
Mastodon sucks to you, Alex finds Wintersun an average band and I really can't stand Broccoli. It's all the same thing really. I doubt Alex will get pissed off if you say Mastodon sucks. It's your opinion, dude! You can say whatever the hell you like!
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.10.2012 - 03:21
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I rated the album between 7.5-8 and i'll briefly explain why now after several listens.

The songs are very good, but are HEAVILY saturated by symphonics, which blend the vocals and guitars together. The music is so saturated that none of it 'stands out' as being an independent part except maybe the intro to the album and the opening riff off track 3. So what we have is GOOD music, but is so blended together it can be a little boring and seems to drag on a bit. I was thinking at first, 'maybe i just need to listen to it as i would classical music', but it's not exactly the same thing.

I think the score is lowered also because there is only 30 odd minutes of actual full songs. Had they have thrown in some beefier songs in between these, it may have worked a lot better?

Overall, it's a great album, i don't see much fairness in rating it below a 7 or above a 9. If you rated it below a 7 you are listening to the wrong genre clearly. If you rated it above a 9 you must find that 30 minutes of song pure masterpieces as to compensate for the shortness of the album (which is not going to be the case).
25.10.2012 - 03:56
nanogasm
My first listen I was disappointed that the guitar work and harsh vocals took the background with the symphonic riffs and clean vocals taking the fore, but I've come to really enjoy the ethereal sound. And when the songs do glimmer with their 'old' sound, it accentuates the composition with good punch.

I noticed this album needs a good sound system to enjoy. There is a lot of modulation and decibal effects which become awkward to listen to on a crap system. Jari seems to deliberately create muffled segments within songs to make the crisp follow-ups stand out that much stronger. I found a huge difference on my high end system that can handle the layering and sampling.

The album is short but you can tell a boatload of work was put into it. Perhaps a bit too much - like an artist who keeps adding and adding with the goal of perfection, but failing to realize that artistic beauty is often best captured in simplicity of form. It's not that the song writing is complex - in fact it's fairly simple. It's the sound engineering that is complex.

The songs flow meticulously well with one another, despite twisting from japanesque instrumental to epic folk to symphonic melodic. Perhaps too many styles under one hood for most, but I'm definitely digging this release. Well wroth the wait IMO.
25.10.2012 - 06:20
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Listened to it one more time ( ) and almost want to drop my rating to a 4, I honestly can't believe it took him 8 years to make this. It's disappointing to me, and I wasn't even expecting much.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.10.2012 - 16:26
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Dark Cornatus on 25.10.2012 at 03:21

Overall, it's a great album, i don't see much fairness in rating it below a 7 or above a 9. If you rated it below a 7 you are listening to the wrong genre clearly. If you rated it above a 9 you must find that 30 minutes of song pure masterpieces as to compensate for the shortness of the album (which is not going to be the case).

I can't agree with such a strong statement. I found Wintersun's debut quite decent, so I rated it with a 7, whereas this one is a bit of a letdown, so I gave it a 6. In my opinion it's still not as bad as some people imply, but it's undeserving of the hype that surrounds it. I suppose many people are seduced by the rich sound of the album, and the technical prowess of the musicians. They indeed are impressive, but they can't hide the fact that the songs aren't as good as the band's performance.
25.10.2012 - 19:52
Mattybu
Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.10.2012 at 06:20

Listened to it one more time ( ) and almost want to drop my rating to a 4, I honestly can't believe it took him 8 years to make this.

I doubt this album is of 4 quality, I mean obviously if you're out desecrating graves and buying disposable cameras to photograph dead friends it's not a good soundtrack, but it must be at least average. but that aside I agree the 8 years is pretty ridiculous. if you're gonna make 5 minutes of music per year every second of the album better be jam packed with magical things xD

Hits total: 26986 | This month: 9