Metal Storm logo
Worst letdown ever.

Original post

Posted by selken, 29.01.2008 - 04:21
All these bands have been known for being elite both outside and inside metal world, but sometimes they got the wrong idea
Remeber when you were waiting even 3 years for your favorite band's brand new album, you run to the store buy the album (in a higher price cause is hot, you don't even want to wait until it gets cheaper) and back to your home or in your car you put that disc with that smell of new and push "Play" and you say WTF IS THIS??? Did I got a wrong album??, you check the cover and nop your nightmare is not, this albums sucks, well, that happened to me with last Sonata's album, I was about to crash my father's car because of the shock, well, I think you got my point, lets talk about your experience, tell us which album dissappointed you the most and how was your experience. C'mon ppl talk and get back here

Poll

Which album is the worst crap you ever wasted your money with?

Metallica - St. Anger
Other worse (really?, tell us which)
Megadeth - Risk
These albums are not so bad
In Flames - Come Clarity
Sonata Arctica - Unia
Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet
Helloween - Chameleon
Kreator - Endorama

Total votes: 257
02.02.2008 - 02:02
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@pyroleprechaun: Agreed. They set the bar too high...most progressive metal bands can't go too many places after putting out some of the most technical, musically proficient, conceptually consistent works of art...Scenes From A Memory in my opinion was just that...I don't think any of their recent work holds a candle to that album even though I treasure all of their albums after that period (except Octavarium of course which I haven't really listened to since I bought it...) I don't share your opinion on Systematic Chaos though but whatever...I just thought that anything they would put out after Octavarium would be better than that predecessor...however, Portnoy's singing is kind of annoying on Constant Motion but the first track is a great start to the album...the first time I listened to it I was like 'wow..they're back!'
02.02.2008 - 02:06
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Author on 02.02.2008 at 02:02

the first time I listened to it I was like 'wow..they're back!'

I believe I had the same opinion after listening to the first song or two, but sadly the rest of the album doesn't hold up imo. I'll check it out again one of these days.
02.02.2008 - 03:17
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
On another note, I don't think Endorama was a letdown...
02.02.2008 - 14:10
Smurfophagist
Written by Author on 02.02.2008 at 03:17

On another note, I don't think Endorama was a letdown...

I agree. It was somewhat worse than other Kreator albums, but we all make mistakes, I like the album.
I find Risk to be a huge disappointment.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
02.02.2008 - 14:45
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Filip: Well...I find it up to par with most Kreator albums to be honest with you...it still has a speedy thrashy energy to it and it shows an experimental side of Kreator, no? I like the song Passage To Babylon despite what other Kreator fans say...it wasn't a mistake in Petrozza's eye...rather, a further push in their experimental peak of the 90s...more of an artsy feel to it which is respectful...
02.02.2008 - 15:19
Son of Odin
Had to give my vote to Metallica. St Anger (and Load & Reload) are crap.
Sonata arcticas Unia is also crap, just like Helloweens Chameleon.
Two other albums that should be on that list is Edguys Superheroes and Blind guardians A twist in the myth, crap.
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
02.02.2008 - 15:50
Baz Anderson
Staff
for these to be "disappointments" you really need to have been around at the time before they were released and anticipating their release, no?

so for me the biggest disappointments I can remember were for;
Strapping Young Lad's "The New Black" and
Iron Maiden's "A Matter Of Life And Death"

both 2006 strangely seeing as I have been buying albums for long before then as well.
02.02.2008 - 16:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 02.02.2008 at 15:50

for these to me "disappointments" you really need to have been around at the time before they were released and anticipating their release, no?

Yes, I agree with you. I can't understand how for example teenagers can judge if those albums are letdowns since they only heard them in relation to the entire discography which had already been published, so there would have been no anticipation at all.

Quote:

so for me the biggest disappointments I can remember were for;
Strapping Young Lad's "The New Black" and
Iron Maiden's "A Matter Of Life And Death"

Strapping was indeed a huge letdown. It came across as something Devin did quickly so that it was released before the summer festival season. A total rushjob.
And Iron Maiden well I was hoping for something better than the previous couple of albums but of course that was the same sort of anitcipation I have had with Metallica ever since after And Justice.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2008 - 16:41
Inlรฉ
Most recent one that springs to mind is The Scythe by Elvenking...
All fans who say that the band haven't adopted an emo sound (Listen to the vocals for gods sake!) are just kidding themselves. Awful.
03.02.2008 - 17:19
Stigma
Account deleted
Megadeth's Risk would be the one for me. COB's Are You Dead Yet is somewhat decent (and boring), and Metallica's St. Anger is actually quite interesting and listenable. But anyway, Risk was my first Deth-album, and after listening it, I couldn't understand what the big deal around this band was. The I heard their material from the 80's.
04.02.2008 - 16:11
matos
Noctiferia - Slovenska morbida
Explanation: excellent black/death (per aspera) -> average industrial (slovenska morbida)
----
04.02.2008 - 22:48
Warman
Erotic Stains
I guess that Baz and Marcel has a point. In that case I'd say Dark Passion Play by Nightwish. It's a good album but it has no chance against their previous albums (except the first) and I love Tarja's voice so much and was really dissapointed with Anette since I thought they would actually pick a great singer like Turunen.
----
06.02.2008 - 23:56
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Baz Anderson on 02.02.2008 at 15:50

for these to be "disappointments" you really need to have been around at the time before they were released and anticipating their release, no?

Agreed, hence why I said Iron Maidens 'A Matter Of Life And Death' sure there were worse albums put out by bands I'd otherwise thoroughly enjoy, but that album is the only album that comes to mind that was terribly disappointing that was released in my time of being a metalhead.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.02.2008 - 21:21
Imraghil
Why is Unia in the list?? Unia is one of the best albums of Sonata Arctica!
21.02.2008 - 04:54
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
I picked Come Clarity because In Flames is my favorite band because of their old style. I'm so disapointed by their new style I can't even put it into words.
21.02.2008 - 18:03
Godfather
I think St.Anger is a disaster.
22.02.2008 - 00:58
tulkas
el parcero
i thought there ould be more votes for unia, which was my vote. i was really expecting somthing that could match they're discography so far, but man did they let me down... btw, i didn't vote for the others 'cause i'm not really into those other bands, but if it was the case, i guess i would have voted for st. anger. everyone that i know that like metallica tells me it really sucks! hehe
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
22.02.2008 - 02:04
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
All MetallicA albuns since 1996...
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
22.02.2008 - 18:48
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Sonata Arctica - Unia all teh way. it's completely boring. I didin't even finish listening to it.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
23.02.2008 - 05:46
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Risk all the way, although the first 4 songs are pretty good.
23.02.2008 - 09:11
m3t4lh34d
I have a few big letdowns.

Metallica - St. Anger
In Flames - Come Clarity
Lamb Of God - Sacrament (I really though LoG lost a lot of their thrash edginess with this release.)
Trivium - The Crusade (Yes, I loved Ascendancy. Yes, I am not afraid to admit that. This album, however, is unlistenable.)
24.02.2008 - 02:13
Lord of Entropy
Account deleted
I had the extreme misfortune of Risk being the first (and only) Megadeth release i actually bought and boy did that ruin that band for me. I'd heard so many good things about the band but...GAH worse then St Anger which at least started to move back to Metallica's older material.
24.02.2008 - 02:55
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by m3t4lh34d on 23.02.2008 at 09:11

Lamb Of God - Sacrament (I really though LoG lost a lot of their thrash edginess with this release.)

I kinda thought Lamb of God lost their edge with Ashes of the Wake. I still like all their albums though, but Ashes was when they really went mainstream.
24.02.2008 - 15:29
cadenz
St. Anger was a really really big letdown, but the worst disappointment of my life was Metallica's Load. James & co. were my gods prior to that album, so my hopes were 500 miles high. That's a long way down. *Crash.*
24.02.2008 - 17:19
รŸ
Problem?
For me it was come clarity not sure why but i should of been expecting it to be bad since the last good cd In Flames made was Clayman
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
24.02.2008 - 17:53
FOOCK Nam
Children Of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet for me, biggest letdown, 'cause reflection this album to all Children Of Bodom previous stuff, its really a downfall.

I disagree that Strapping Young Lad 2006 is letdown. Their The New Black is added more epic/clean vocal elements which make them more diverse. I would agree that if someone say its not more extreme as Strapping Young Lad, but its not totally a dissappointing stuff.

Sonata Arctica - Unia. I love the song Paid In Full, nice guitar and keyboard. Though other songs I havent listened much, so cant judge...

Agree for Helloween - Chameleon, totally a downfall.
24.02.2008 - 18:59
Torelli
I can't belive so many vote for "Come clarity". It seems like many have forgot a certain earlier in flames record realised in 2004....

Yes, I'm talking about "Sountrack to your Escape". I remember that I thought that the cover art looked really gorgous, but then I put it in the cd player...Needless to say, it was not a bright suprise. Were had all the power gone? The good sense of melodies? The feeling? Nothing seemed to be right...After some years have passed, I can't say that I like it, no matter how many chances I give it. But the cover art is still gorgous, and strange enough, on of my favorite IF song is on that album("My sweet shadow")

I don't think "Come clarity" is that bad. Actually, I think it's quite good actually. A step forward, without too much back tracking to earlier albums.
24.02.2008 - 20:27
รŸ
Problem?
It's an alright cd at most. But coming from a band like In Flames I would of expected more from them
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
24.02.2008 - 20:36
cadenz
I agree with Torelli. For me, both Reroute to Remain and Soundtrack to Your Escape were major disappointments. RtR was a big letdown, and I hoped that In Flames would be back on the right track by the next album. They were not. StYE is really a horrible album in my opinion, and therefore my expectations for Come Clarity were minimal. You can imagine my surprise when I listened to it and really liked the stuff! I still think it's nothing compared to the stuff IF made in the 90's, but it's way better than the two previous albums, which makes it hard for me to see it as a letdown in any way.
19.03.2008 - 04:51
phynix
Account deleted
It pretty much says it all when I saw this topic and the first album that came to mind was St. Anger, and I had not even seen the choices.