Metal Storm logo
What band have you played out?

Original post

Posted by LeChron James, 06.02.2008 - 12:31
Have you ever liked a band so much that you're now sick of them? if so, who? discuss.
18.09.2009 - 22:02
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by danielllewis on 18.09.2009 at 05:26

Oh, and wintersun simply because I'm tired of hearing the same album with the same 8 songs over and over again.

Yeah ditto....I try to listen to it as little as possible thesedays.
24.10.2009 - 21:17
Hanyuchan
Metallica
15.11.2009 - 22:43
Jan
I was heavily into Therion a couple of years back - listened to them all the time.

But I overdid it and now rarely select one or their albums - with Secret of the Runes as the possible exception.

Still looking forward to their 2010 album though - interesting to see which direction they will choose.
22.11.2009 - 17:29
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I try not to make that mistake, now. I overplayed Cradle Of Filth (I mean ALL the albums), and now I have a hard time maintaining their #1 place in my heart, but I know it's just because I know every track by heart. And I'm such a big fan of them, I know when they'll release a new album, I'll buy it on the release day and listen to it 20 times on that same day and get sick of it within a week... But I can't help it. But CoF have so many albums, it's not like Equilibrium, my second fav band. 2 FREAKING AWESOME ALBUMS! How can I possibly not know every riff and melody on TF and Sagas? But I was more careful with Arkona's Goi Rode Goi, I have listened to it 20 times or so on the first week, but I try to listen to it every now and then, now.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
31.12.2009 - 23:04
I_Die_Often
Megadeth, Metallica, Flotsam & Jetsam... the old bands that got me into this stuff
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
16.02.2010 - 09:34
Gobobbles
Account deleted
I did this with almost every straight power metal band I like. When I first got into true metal/real metal...whatever you wanna call what we listen to, all I really enjoyed was power metal. Now I'm not sure if it was because of outplaying them or if it was just my shifting tastes, but bands like Freedom Call, Hammerfall, Helloween, Edguy, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, etc. became very boring to me and they fell out of my normal metal listening patterns (they do receive the occasional play here and there). A few did survive my transformation though and they remain a constant in my life; bands like Blind Guardian, Human Fortress, Kamelot, and Stratovarius. Also, a side-effect of this is that it's very difficult for me to get into any new power metal.
21.02.2010 - 23:14
☭ Mr. S &#9773
Owner of the DSA
AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, Helloween (big time), Slipknot (but only because I hate "All Hope is Gone").
----
Seize the weed of production!
22.02.2010 - 01:01
danielllewis
Cannibal Corpse, definitely. I was 12 or something when I first started listening to them, and I was like "oh my god this is so heavy, I can't believe I'm actually listening to it". (For those of you my age, you know what I mean).

Anyway, eventually I came to realize that in the grant scheme of death metal, there are so many better bands like suffocation, nile, vital remains, origin, deicide, bloodbath, hypocrisy, etc...
----
22.02.2010 - 02:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
None. There are just some bands I don't listen to as much now, purely because the amount of bands that I like and listen to has steadily increased over the years. In fact, most of the bands that originally got me into metal, like Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden, Priest, Helloween and Death are still among my fave bands.

In complete contrast to Daniellewis, I also like bands like Deicide, Nile and Hypocrisy, but I love Cannibal Corpse as well. And dont see the previous death metal bands mentioned as being ''better'' than them.
25.02.2010 - 23:02
Don Martin
le fu-
Autopsy, definetly.

I played all Autopsy cd's SO much the last two years. From the point when I got into them (2008, I was 12) to a few months ago I played an Autopsy cd almost every day, for like, 2 times. I think I even can sing along to the songs when being played backwards... But Autopsy nonetheless is the best oldschool death metal band ever, in my opinion. Maybe when I pick it up in a few months, a new Autopsy fever will begin. Right now I am more into psychidelic 60's music like, obviously Black Sabbath, Blue Cheer, King Crimson, Yes, ...
----
What a tackastrophe!
01.03.2010 - 23:19
xplanet2112
I think I've played out Opeth, Paradise Lost, and Type O Negative... Three of my favourite bands ever. Last year I played Amorphis's 'Skyforger' so much I don't think I want to hear it again even though I think it's a great CD! I was into the ProgMetal thing in a heavy way but now I'm checking out alot of leftfield Blackmetal such as Deathspell Omega, Fen, Wolves In The Throne Room, and Blut Aus Nord to name but a few.
----
www.myspace.co.uk/interminate
05.03.2010 - 01:43
whatsacow
I've outplayed certain albums, but not bands. For example I can't listen to opeth's Blackwater Park or Ghost Reveries, But i can listen to still life, or MAYH
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
11.03.2010 - 14:38
zxc
Dream Theater / Liquid Tension Experiment. I listened to DT and LTE non-stop for a full year, with no other music, and they were my first real introduction to metal and awesome music in general. As I began to explore some other bands (Pain of Salvation, Opeth, Porcupine Tree...) and exploring some great new (to me) genres (doom metal, dark ambient, neoclassical, neofolk) I began listening to DT less and less. I don't ever have the urge to put DT on any more. I don't dislike DT at all though, I just don't have that urge to listen like I used to. I can play all their music in my head anyway, like a media player inside my skull, except for some songs on WDADU, FII, and 8VM which I'm not familiar with (which is quite remarkable given how much I've listened to DT). At the time I listened to particular songs on repeat hundreds of times before switching to a new song. Now I still do that, but I also go by albums a fair bit. I don't think I'll get sick of any bands from now on, though, as I listened to a much wider variety of artists now, and I'm discovering more as I go.
11.03.2010 - 15:58
Urs Blank
I'm currently in an overdose of Opeth.
After many months trying my best to get my friends into it, a few finally felt in love with Opeth. And now they spin BP, GR and SL over and over again!!

But one thing is sure, I'll buy their next album on the release day!
14.03.2010 - 06:55
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
I don't think I've been able to fully "play out" a band, I sometimes go months without listening to them, but will eventually go back to listening to them.
26.03.2010 - 20:09
Winterthrone
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Megadeth
Cradle Of Filth
Helloween
Rhapsody Of Fire
Stratovarius
Children Of Bodom
Old Sonata Arctica
Nightwish (Til' the next album comes out)
Dream Theater
Korn
Rage Against The Machine
Pantera
Black Sabbath
Gamma Ray
Blind Guardian
Old Slayer
Iced Earth
Arch Enemy (except for The Root Of All Evil)
Kreator

These were all the first metal bands I was into when I was younger from (12 to 20 years old). They are never completely out of my playlists, however, sometimes nostalgia takes my mind and I'm gonna give 'em a spin. I just listened to them so much that I'll prefer to listen to something that still has the power to surprise me. Anyway, I was more into Powermetal, Prog Metal, Old-School Thrash Metal and Heavy Metal in those day. Now I'm more into Death Metal, Black Metal, Punky Thrash Metal, Folk Metal and Avant-Garde...
27.03.2010 - 04:30
Archetype
Scar Symmetry - I'm not a fan of the most recent album and I think that generally they're an easy band to overplay. The "boy band" elements present in the newest album also aren't doing them any favours, I think.

Fun to listen to at first, but gets old pretty quick.
29.04.2010 - 17:48
Written by Hanyuchan on 24.10.2009 at 21:17

Metallica

I've played them so much that anyone else would have gotten sick of it...not me.
----
I'd rather like what I like because I like it, despite if everyone hates me for it, then like what I hate just to be accepted by you.
13.11.2010 - 07:46
Mongoose2557
Account deleted
Tyr.
I love Tyr a lot. One of the greatest metal bands in my opinion. But lately, I can't get through a full song anymore.
This usually happens with band I listen to a lot. But not for this long. I hope it passes soon.
13.11.2010 - 13:17
Luneth
Account deleted
I've overdone Sonata Arctica; DragonForce; Dragonland; Celesty; Versailles and Galneryus

I can listen to them forever though, no matter how many times I listen to their albums.
16.11.2010 - 00:33
ProjectEndgame
Account deleted
Overdone Metallica. Because of Megadeth... (this isn't a joke, I actually stop listening to Metallica because of Megadeth).
17.11.2010 - 04:20
SlaytanicGonzo
Cannibal Corpse. It was the band that got me into Death Metal (and Extreme Metal in general) but now I maybe listen to 2 songs a month.
23.11.2010 - 01:15
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Most things Power Metal for me. It was one of the first genres i got into and over time, you hear so much of it that you crave other genres. Over the last 5 years, i have been more into the extreme genres and most recently (last year or two), i have gotten into Technical Death Metal.

I wouldn't say i have played out a band too much, but you definitely do not crave them as much over time. It gets to the point where the "4 out of 5 star" songs and below, get skipped. If i had to pick the most out played bands, i would say: Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, Therion, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Asmegin, Haggard and Rhapsody. I still listen to them, but just the main songs.

For some reason though, there are bands i have played since the early days and still listen to quite a lot, such as: Edenbridge, Iced Earth and Ensiferum.
24.11.2010 - 12:52
RavenKing
I don't know if it's because I played them out or a change of tastes but, apart from a few exceptions here and there, I can't stand traditional Heavy Metal and Powermetal. There's no way I can listen to those genres now because it bores me to death. I started getting sick of those genres around the millenia and it only got worse and worse until I reached the point at which I ended up listening almost exclusively to extreme metal genres. And I know there is no going back for me, as I even prefer hearing music on radio than traditional Heavy Metal or Powermetal.

However, I can't imagine the day I could get bored of Black Metal or Thrash. I have the feeling I simply found the music that really suits me (BM mostly) and don't need anything else, as for metal.

I would add that, judging by comments on this thread, lots of people seem to grow tired of old bands, something I find normal and logical. Imo, it's normal to get sick of bands who repeat themselves all the time, usually with poorer results each time. Also, Powermetal got much more commercial, soft, pop-ish with time (if you ask me, this genre started to suck big time around the millenia). As for traditional Heavy Metal, it belongs to the past, as far as I'm concerned. I find this genre outdated and irrelevant today.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
24.11.2010 - 21:20
arwestromen
Was really into In flames and Choldren of Bodom for a while, now I can't stand it....now every song sounds the same to me
oh oh and folk/viking metal for the same reason except this time the bands and their songs just melted together into one ugly blur
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
25.11.2010 - 02:22
RavenKing
Written by arwestromen on 24.11.2010 at 21:20

oh oh and folk/viking metal for the same reason except this time the bands and their songs just melted together into one ugly blur

Not surprising to get this feeling from a genre so plagued by genericness, unoriginality, mediocrity and poor songwriting, if you ask me. There's way too many Folk/Viking Metal bands and many of them sound the same, indeed. Very boring genre. Even more than Powermetal.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
25.11.2010 - 18:53
arwestromen
Written by RavenKing on 25.11.2010 at 02:22

Not surprising to get this feeling from a genre so plagued by genericness, unoriginality, mediocrity and poor songwriting, if you ask me. There's way too many Folk/Viking Metal bands and many of them sound the same, indeed. Very boring genre. Even more than Powermetal.

Hear, hear
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
25.02.2012 - 20:32
Pantera, especially Cowboys from Hell. I used to listen to this album so much...
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
25.02.2012 - 22:05
Oaken
Hipster
Iron Maiden. I've got past them, and I rarely listen to them. I don't even consider them to be one of my favorite bands right now.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
26.02.2012 - 00:25
Necrox
Written by Xim on 14.03.2010 at 06:55

I don't think I've been able to fully "play out" a band, I sometimes go months without listening to them, but will eventually go back to listening to them.

I agree, unless I happened to change my taste and find myself hating what I used to listen to