Metal Storm logo
What is the meaning of life?

24.04.2008 - 15:10
Berfones

I have been looking the MS forum for this thread and I was amazed to find that the only matches to my search were Monty Pyton movie and some other thing that bearly mantion it, so I decided to open my own thread (hopfully this one will not be locked after one day) and to ask you what is the meaning of life for you, I know that this is a very abstract question, so everyone will have a different answer to it, and some will have several answers.
My meanings of life are music and my book, I think of them as my meanings of life because that if one of them will sieze to be I will probably kill myself.
This thread can also be a place for philosophical questions such as what came first, the chicken or the egg? (I have the answer to it if you want...), and one more thing, can someone tell me why do the mods hate Varg Vikernes threads so much?
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
24.04.2008 - 15:19
Valentin B
Iconoclast
the meaning of life for me and most of the mods is that varg vikerness suffers a whole lot before he dies miserably:P kidding..

anyway i don't really know yet. life is a rollercoaster, and if you're on a rollercoaster you can't just think about the machines, how fast it's going, where it's heading etc. i'm gonna continue to live in ignorance for the time being

and really? you have the answer to the question? what is it?
24.04.2008 - 15:50
Berfones

Written by Valentin B on 24.04.2008 at 15:19

the meaning of life for me and most of the mods is that varg vikerness suffers a whole lot before he dies miserably:P kidding..

anyway i don't really know yet. life is a rollercoaster, and if you're on a rollercoaster you can't just think about the machines, how fast it's going, where it's heading etc. i'm gonna continue to live in ignorance for the time being

The egg, the dinosours lived before there were any chickens and they laid eggs thus the egg came before the chicken
and I think you're right about the ignorance, but I meant (in a way) that the meaning of life, for me at least, is the most important things to me, the things I live for...
----
24.04.2008 - 16:45
addiction

Written by Berfones on 24.04.2008 at 15:50

The egg, the dinosours lived before there were any chickens and they laid eggs thus the egg came before the chicken
and I think you're right about the ignorance, but I meant (in a way) that the meaning of life, for me at least, is the most important things to me, the things I live for...

first of all you are wrong about the chicken and egg thing...the saying has absolutely nothing to do with what you said and you completely missed the point if you believe the answer you gave...
there is an answer that is close to the truth but again is scientific and therefore only right in the ways we know. the point of the saying is that there is probably no answer to it, but it good to try and find the truth, because in this journey you gain a lot on the way...the answer to the question is not important at all....the journey to the answer is what it is all about....

and i more or less answered your question about the meaning of life...i dont know the meaning of life....i dont think anyone in the history of our world ever knew the meaning....i dont know if there is a meaning...but i dont think it is important to find the meaning of life, since if you find the meaning of life there is no point living anymore anyway...it will not be exciting, it will not be fun. part of the joy of being alive is that you never really know what is coming.....every now and then though it is wise to just stop and enjoy the beauty around you....
----
alive in the superunknown
24.04.2008 - 16:59
Berfones

Written by addiction on 24.04.2008 at 16:45

Written by Berfones on 24.04.2008 at 15:50

first of all you are wrong about the chicken and egg thing...the saying has absolutely nothing to do with what you said and you completely missed the point if you believe the answer you gave...
there is an answer that is close to the truth but again is scientific and therefore only right in the ways we know. the point of the saying is that there is probably no answer to it, but it good to try and find the truth, because in this journey you gain a lot on the way...the answer to the question is not important at all....the journey to the answer is what it is all about....

and i more or less answered your question about the meaning of life...i dont know the meaning of life....i dont think anyone in the history of our world ever knew the meaning....i dont know if there is a meaning...but i dont think it is important to find the meaning of life, since if you find the meaning of life there is no point living anymore anyway...it will not be exciting, it will not be fun. part of the joy of being alive is that you never really know what is coming.....every now and then though it is wise to just stop and enjoy the beauty around you....

the chicken and the egg is a trick question, so I gave a trick answer, that's the point, if someone is trying to take you down (in this question for example) you can take him down in his own way.
and I said in the first post that the meaning of life is different for everyone, my meaning gives me a point, your meaning will take it if you find out what it is.
I do think that it is useless trying to find what is the real meaning of life and what started it all and things like that because it is not important, it doesn't matter what made you be here, the important thing is that you are here now, don't waste your life trying to find the answer, because if there is no answer you have just wasted your life, but if some thought about this are coming to you it is not a waste, but don't lose yourselfe in it
----
24.04.2008 - 18:31
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
It depends on who you ask. Some people will say to serve God. Others will say to help people. Others will say to live an individual happy life. Others will say... You get my point? It's interesting you made this topic as I recently picked up Existentialism: A Very Short Introduction and while I was familiar with this subject before, I decided I wanted a more "scholarly" approach to it. Anyway, I believe the meaning of life depends on the individual, and that is what's important. People make of their life whatever they desire, or maybe don't desire. It depends on the person and this is just my opinion.
----
The force will be with you, always.
24.04.2008 - 23:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
LIFE IS CRISTALL MASCARADE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think life its special, perosn individualy life ye sbut not generaly, remeber Type o Negative 'Ewery Thing Dies''

We love and die, but there be other life after this, so I dont see anything special here, work, work for living, hard work, damn we cant take all to afterlife ,
When I was younger i try hear ewery metal band, read ewery lyric, get all from it, same whit bock and otherthings, now i take best and what i like because we cant do all in life, and never will
Only what we can do its enjoy it and wating till we die, lolyer life-longe rlife

and life is cristal mascarade

Death metal, black metal, doom metal, thay had filosophy about life and its strong, even im more follow to doom, but also Edge of Sanity says something good about life

Black Tears

When I'm in this state of mindI'm wishing I was blind. Sometimes life ismore than pain, to meI feel the power of my grief. Death would besuch a relief. All the secrets that I hidewould die, with me.Depression is my only friend. Will thistorture never end? Let me carry on tothe dreamers sky.I keep crying in my dreams.Can you hear my endless screams?When I fade away I fade, away.Chorus:This Fluid on my cheek, it drains me I get weak. My heart is cold and bleak.Black blood. Black tears.Life is just a masquerade. In dept to myself, but I can't pay. Soon I'll call it all a day, away. I've never felt what you call guilt.I still believe "Do what thou wilt"My sorrow will destroy the world I've built.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwhzmUismio
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.04.2008 - 23:48
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
LIFE IS A BITCH TOO EXPENSIVE TO BE A FRIEND
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
25.04.2008 - 00:57
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
25.04.2008 - 01:04
addiction

Written by hanna of steel on 25.04.2008 at 00:57

hahahahahahaha!!!!! 42 is the meaning of life!!! that was actually funny! is it from a film or from your own interpretation of what the meaning of life is?
and since we found the meaning of life now (which is 42), the next step is to wonder: why 42?
----
25.04.2008 - 02:07
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by addiction on 25.04.2008 at 01:04

hahahahahahaha!!!!! 42 is the meaning of life!!! that was actually funny! is it from a film or from your own interpretation of what the meaning of life is?
and since we found the meaning of life now (which is 42), the next step is to wonder: why 42?

No, I believe the next step to wonder is: why not? I think she meant (besides being funny) there is no one interpretation and everyone will have their own.
----
The force will be with you, always.
25.04.2008 - 02:35
addiction

Written by Clintagräm on 25.04.2008 at 02:07

No, I believe the next step to wonder is: why not? I think she meant (besides being funny) there is no one interpretation and everyone will have their own.

well to be honest, and although i have already said my opinion on this, which you can read...humans will always have the need for such questions...once one is answered, at least one more will pop up...so although i agree that the answer is not the point, humans will never be satisfied...and there are not really any interpretations on this matter, just illusions...
----
25.04.2008 - 02:39
tulkas
el parcero
like it's been said, it depend on the person and how his life is. everyone has a differnt life style, goes through different expericnes throughout life and in the end that's what gives us our own view of the world. imo the real meaning of life will never be found because of what i said, and because there are so many views that it's just not possible that one is the true and real one; just like with religions.

on the other hand, going through life is just trying to learn as much as you can abot whatever your interest may be. like addiction said some posts above, it's not about finding the answer or knowing the truth but getting to it is what really counts. it's how you live your life and how you view the wrold what really counts, that's what makes us differt from each other. imo, there is no real meaning, because of what i said... but we still live, and we may or may not like it, but it doesn't matter if our life experience is positive or negative, if we're happy or not, what matters is what we learn about the world and about ourselves.
that's how i see it, at least generally... there's a lot more
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
25.04.2008 - 10:09
Berfones

the hitch-hiker guide to the galaxy (or something like that)
----
25.04.2008 - 10:10
Berfones

I waited someone to say that already, thanks
----
25.04.2008 - 10:11
Berfones

Written by Clintagräm on 24.04.2008 at 18:31

It depends on who you ask. Some people will say to serve God. Others will say to help people. Others will say to live an individual happy life. Others will say... You get my point? It's interesting you made this topic as I recently picked up Existentialism: A Very Short Introduction and while I was familiar with this subject before, I decided I wanted a more "scholarly" approach to it. Anyway, I believe the meaning of life depends on the individual, and that is what's important. People make of their life whatever they desire, or maybe don't desire. It depends on the person and this is just my opinion.

I know, that is why I said that the answer may be different for eveyone
----
25.04.2008 - 10:15
Berfones

Written by Bad English on 24.04.2008 at 23:16

LIFE IS CRISTALL MASCARADE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think life its special, perosn individualy life ye sbut not generaly, remeber Type o Negative 'Ewery Thing Dies''

We love and die, but there be other life after this, so I dont see anything special here, work, work for living, hard work, damn we cant take all to afterlife ,
When I was younger i try hear ewery metal band, read ewery lyric, get all from it, same whit bock and otherthings, now i take best and what i like because we cant do all in life, and never will
Only what we can do its enjoy it and wating till we die, lolyer life-longe rlife

and life is cristal mascarade

Death metal, black metal, doom metal, thay had filosophy about life and its strong, even im more follow to doom, but also Edge of Sanity says something good about life

Black Tears

When I'm in this state of mindI'm wishing I was blind. Sometimes life ismore than pain, to meI feel the power of my grief. Death would besuch a relief. All the secrets that I hidewould die, with me.Depression is my only friend. Will thistorture never end? Let me carry on tothe dreamers sky.I keep crying in my dreams.Can you hear my endless screams?When I fade away I fade, away.Chorus:This Fluid on my cheek, it drains me I get weak. My heart is cold and bleak.Black blood. Black tears.Life is just a masquerade. In dept to myself, but I can't pay. Soon I'll call it all a day, away. I've never felt what you call guilt.I still believe "Do what thou wilt"My sorrow will destroy the world I've built.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwhzmUismio

not everything dies, take a look at this verse:
"cattle die, kinsmen die
thus one's self must also die
I know one thing that will never die
the reputation of each dead man"
it's from the norse mythology, I don't remember the exact name of the codak but I now it is verse number 78
----
25.04.2008 - 10:16
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Berfones on 25.04.2008 at 10:09

Yeah - it's from Hitch-hikers Guide.

I know this is a serious discussion , but the temptation got too much for me
----
25.04.2008 - 10:17
Berfones

Written by addiction on 25.04.2008 at 02:35

Written by Clintagräm on 25.04.2008 at 02:07

well to be honest, and although i have already said my opinion on this, which you can read...humans will always have the need for such questions...once one is answered, at least one more will pop up...so although i agree that the answer is not the point, humans will never be satisfied...and there are not really any interpretations on this matter, just illusions...

You are absolutely right
----
25.04.2008 - 14:32
Berfones

Written by hanna of steel on 25.04.2008 at 10:16

Written by Berfones on 25.04.2008 at 10:09

Yeah - it's from Hitch-hikers Guide.

I know this is a serious discussion , but the temptation got too much for me

I was waiting for this answer since I opened this thread, this and the movie ("the meaning of life" not the hitch-hikers)
----
25.04.2008 - 16:46
addiction

i realised it was from the hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy later on when i thought about it, but i was sure i had heard it before...:) and i am glad we agreed...:)
----
25.04.2008 - 18:16
GT
Coffee!!

Bugger...you got to say it first. Just saw this thread today and thought if no one else had given that answer I would.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
25.04.2008 - 18:18
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by GT on 25.04.2008 at 18:16

Bugger...you got to say it first. Just saw this thread today and thought if no one else had given that answer I would.

Sorry about that ..........it was too tempting to resist.
----
25.04.2008 - 18:53
GT
Coffee!!
Written by hanna of steel on 25.04.2008 at 18:18

Written by GT on 25.04.2008 at 18:16

Sorry about that ..........it was too tempting to resist.

Exactly! That's why I hoped to say it, but you beat me to it I just have to be quicker next time
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
28.04.2008 - 13:26
Berfones

I'm bored!!!!there are no posts here!!! write something!!!:devil:
----
29.04.2008 - 06:23
tulkas
el parcero
and what if everything is just like in it was a chapter of south park, where the earth and all our existance is just a reality tv show for aliens??

i acutally discussed this with a friend last night, haha. said if it was true then we would do nothing, bore them, make them destroy the earth but take us 2 in their spaceship and let us watch the end of the earth from a privileged view... hehe.

couldn't resist, I had to post this, hehe
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
29.04.2008 - 06:50
selken
Irreligious
Life HAS NO mean!!! YOU give your life a mean.
----
29.04.2008 - 07:00
PsychoNerd

life is what you make it, everybody has a different meaning, you can't just ask what it is because people have different things which they find meaningful
----
The computer Nerd
29.04.2008 - 15:35
Berfones

Written by tulkas on 29.04.2008 at 06:23

and what if everything is just like in it was a chapter of south park, where the earth and all our existance is just a reality tv show for aliens??

i acutally discussed this with a friend last night, haha. said if it was true then we would do nothing, bore them, make them destroy the earth but take us 2 in their spaceship and let us watch the end of the earth from a privileged view... hehe.

couldn't resist, I had to post this, hehe

I hope it is like that, this is cool, I want a front line sit to the end of the world too...
----
29.04.2008 - 15:37
Berfones

Written by PsychoNerd on 29.04.2008 at 07:00

life is what you make it, everybody has a different meaning, you can't just ask what it is because people have different things which they find meaningful

I asked it because everybody has a different meaning, I was interested in knowing what are the others' meanings
----