Iced Earth
Stratovarius
Judas Priest (1990-2005)
Manowar

Total votes: 221
17.05.2006 - 08:22
Scared4Life
Account deleted
I put JP in this list because i consider their post painkiller era power metal. And Ms dosnt class IE as Power either, but i think IE could easily be classed as Power/Thrash at times. Anyway cast your vote for the gods of power metal.

Its a very hard decision, but i will vote for Nightwish, the early era was fantastic, though the same cant be said for recent times.
17.05.2006 - 09:22
Warman
Erotic Stains
Nightwish without doubt!!! They mean so much to me, and 90 % of their songs sends shivvers down my spine.
----
17.05.2006 - 09:39
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I disagree with Manowar being in the list, but my most favourite Power Metal is Iced Earth, yeh their genre Dark Heavy metal is a bit silly i think, its Heavy / Power Metal.
My vote is because IE have never released bad material, i love all their work, they are just an amazing band for me.
17.05.2006 - 09:51
Scared4Life
Account deleted
lol, i was tossing up between Therion and Manowar, but im not sure if you would class Therion as Heavy or Power. Whereas Manowar dispite the fact im not a fan are godfathers of the genre along with Helloween, Strato, and JP
17.05.2006 - 09:54
Lost One
Account deleted
For me it is Sonata Arctica. I really find it hard to choose between Kamelot and Sonata Arctica, but in the end I went with the latter because of the fantastic speed metal compositions as well as the intricate love songs and beautiful ballads. Tony Kakko's vocals are among the very best in the metal scene and their live shows are an absolute treat. This is without a doubt one of the most talented bands ever, and they will always have my support.

That said, DragonForce would have my vote as well if they appeared on this list. Their form of extreme speed / power metal appeals to me as well, and their live shows are killer. But then, if DragonForce should be on the list, so should dozens of other bands. I guess power metal just is my genre of choice, hehe.
17.05.2006 - 10:17
Silhouette
I voted Kamelot, since they're very power metal, but still original and fresh. My second choice would've been Helloween.
17.05.2006 - 10:33
Thorein
Account deleted
Hmm, my favo is Nightwish.
But in this thread, I think Iced Earth is the best.
Dark Lyrics, great vocalists and the combo of heavy and power
17.05.2006 - 10:45
Eight
Shapeshifter
Sonata Arctca from that list, but you should add Others for those who enjoy other Power metal bands, i would choose Wuthreign Heights if they would been here
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
17.05.2006 - 15:28
Daibh
Account deleted
I will have to side with the unique and mighty Kamelot. They never fail to impress, even when they are at their most cheesy.
17.05.2006 - 16:17
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
i chose Sonata Arctica, but i think there are much better powermetal bands, my favourites in the field are: DragonForce, Magica, Rhapsody, Avantasia, Lunatica, Hammerfall and Dreamtale
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
17.05.2006 - 16:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
LOLO LOL LOL
Judas Priest power metal, Manowar power metal, if I be mod. I will lock this pool.
How many times I can repeet Manowar is heavy metal/traditional, Judas Priest are heavy metal, not power metal.
Iced Earth are heavy/thrash/power metal not power metal.
If you wanna say you must explain something about ewery band.

But Im glad I dont see Grave Digger here

From those bands its hard to choose between Nightwish and Blind Guardian, and firts Stratovarius album
I wote for Nightwish, becasue Blind Guardian starts like speed metal
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.05.2006 - 16:57
Dragonheart
Account deleted
From this list, Nightwish as my real favourites are all missing (Edguy, Hammerfall, DragonForce...)
17.05.2006 - 17:28
Valar
IndianSteel
Blind Guardian with no doubts in my mind, Iced Earth comes close but Blind Guardian are in the league of their own. Nightfall in The Midlle Earth is a godly release and so are the rest of the albums.
Are Judas Priest supposed to be in this list
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
17.05.2006 - 17:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valar on 17.05.2006 at 17:28

Blind Guardian with no doubts in my mind, Iced Earth comes close but Blind Guardian are in the league of their own. Nightfall in The Midlle Earth is a godly release and so are the rest of the albums.
Are Judas Priest supposed to be in this list

Thats what I talking in my previusly post Judas Priest Shoud Not be Here because its heavy metal, not power metal, and Blind Guardian think, thay play real power metal only in "Nightfall In Midle Earth"
----

apos;'
[image]
17.05.2006 - 19:24
Milan
Account deleted
Manowar and Judas Priest definetly not power metal!!! The best are Blind Guardian definetly!!!
17.05.2006 - 19:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Milan I agree whit you totaly but he forgot werry god power metal band
Brainstorm from germany, I dont know but this band isnt so popular, dunno why but I like them, and in germany are werry good unqnown power metal bands.
And I like Salamandra from Slovak republic, great album are "Grreat Moravian Elegies"

But I think this pool shoud be locked
Hi didnt discribe nothing about bands.
----

apos;'
[image]
17.05.2006 - 21:40
Dam3k
I went for Sonata Arctica cuz their Mikko Härkin keyboards era... pwn me =) Iced Earth is also roxor but they ain't power metal... neither do Judas Priest I think... so that's why I vote Sonata Arctica near by Nightwish... anyway i'm not so much in power metal right now
----

17.05.2006 - 21:51
Etaín
Went for Kamelot. Amazing band! Normally i would have picked Nightwish, but with all recent events i didnt.
17.05.2006 - 21:55
Hellish Star
Iced Earth because I like the US style of power metal...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
17.05.2006 - 22:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hellish Star on 17.05.2006 at 21:55

Iced Earth because I like the US style of power metal...

I agree US sound of power metal are best sound, but in Europa are too some good bands, Brainstorm, The Arrow, Salamandra, but Iced Earth are great band and I hawe all albums, but moustly I like firts 2 and song "Birth Of The Wicked"
----

apos;'
[image]
17.05.2006 - 22:29
Baz Anderson
Staff
yeh - ive got to say this too. Judas Priest are NOT a power metal band, and 'Painkiller' wasnt a power metal album
just a good, fast and aggressive heavy metal album

of course anyone that knows me by now will know i am going to vote for Helloween
they should be the very first band you think of when you think 'power metal'
i think its rather sad i am the first one voting for Helloween - even after there has already been 20 votes
17.05.2006 - 23:55
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
My favourite band from the list (and in general) is Nightwish, so I guess I'm voting for that one. I have always been amazed by their music, by Tarja's voice (yes, I know she's gone so there's no need to remind me), by Emppu's riffs, Tuomas's compositions, everything! "Wishmaster" is probably the best Power Metal album ever (together with Blind Guardian's "Nightfall in Middle-Earth"), and "Ghost Love Score" my favourite song after Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls".

Manowar and Judas Priest (including "Angel of Retribution") are Heavy Metal in my book, by the way, although I doubt this is the accurate thread to discuss this subject.
18.05.2006 - 00:03
scorp
Account deleted
Heavenly and Lost Horizon are great but Nightwish,Kamelot and SA from that list.
18.05.2006 - 00:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Author on 17.05.2006 at 10:33

Hmm, my favo is Nightwish.
But in this thread, I think Iced Earth is the best.
Dark Lyrics, great vocalists and the combo of heavy and power

About lyrics I agree they are deep, dark, amazinng and not power metal lyrics, its more thrash metal lyrics, based to violance, history,a and also heavy metal lyrics about Hitory(Vaterloo), and pain,loss(Watched Over Me)

I hawnt seen them playing live, but I think concerts are more how thrash/heavy metal shows not power, whit moshing .
----

apos;'
[image]
18.05.2006 - 01:12
Shojo
Account deleted
I voted for Kamelot, closely followed by Nightwish. I have to say that Kamelot's recent albums never seem boring to me, but the last Nightwish-albums weren't that great. I also consider Blind Guardian as a great band, but I cannot listen in every situation to their music because it is sometimes really boring!
18.05.2006 - 01:26
Stigmatized
Blind Guardian, the gods. One of the most consistent bands. Not to mention they have Hansi, who may be the single greatest vocalist of all time.
18.05.2006 - 01:37
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
mmm Sonata Arctica is just probably my favorite band alongside Angra by the way where are they? and Edguy??? man WHERES EDGUY!???'.. i love all of them and they should be on that list IMO ... about BG yeah they are supperior but i dont know sonata has a catchiness to them that makes them be first on my list well not only that but well they are a supreme band...
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
18.05.2006 - 05:37
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
iced earth, theyre very different sounding then your average power metal band
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.05.2006 - 17:52
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Blind Guardian for me i love all their albums especially Imaginations From The Other Side
they have the best Epic sound on earth and the vocalist is just great
----
Stay Metal !!!
18.05.2006 - 18:07
Laevos
Account deleted
Sonata Arctica for sure. I think they're the new kings of power metal, overpassing even Stratovarius. I love their albums, and my fav among 'em is Ecliptica. All the songs are great!