Metal Storm logo
Best Swedish Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal band

Original post

Posted by Valmont, 13.07.2006 - 01:37
One extremely important piece of the melodic death jigsaw puzzle is the Gothenburg style, named after the city from which it originated. It is not certain what band originally started the Gothenburg sound, but it is widely accepted that In Flames, At the Gates, and Dark Tranquillity are the three major popularizers of the style, and some of the only widely known bands to practice it, with newer bands such as Arch Enemy and The Haunted being offshoots of Carcass and At The Gates respectively. -Wikipedia
I thought i can just give a little info. Not that you need it tho. Anyways so, which one is it for you? I guess this will end up Amon Amarth being the leader. I don't know maybe because they stayed pure from the beginning but my choice is Dark Tranquillity. They are giving the little signs of turning out like In Flames tho but i follow them!

Poll

Which one is the best Swedish "Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal" band?

Dark Tranquillity
Amon Amarth
In Flames (pre-Clayman)
Arch Enemy
At The Gates
Edge of Sanity
Other
Soilwork

Total votes: 429
13.05.2009 - 06:13
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Amon Amarth is going to consistantly get better.... It's why I took them.
----
16.05.2009 - 22:45
Glower
Next time someone starts a poll for Swedish or Gothenburg bands, don't forget Evergrey. My vote went to them.
16.05.2009 - 23:25
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Glower on 16.05.2009 at 22:45

Next time someone starts a poll for Swedish or Gothenburg bands, don't forget Evergrey. My vote went to them.

Evergay would just be out of place in this poll. This poll is about melodic death metal and Evergay is play shitty power metal (as opposed to good power metal, I'm not dissing power metal, just Evergrey).
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
17.05.2009 - 00:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 16.05.2009 at 23:25

Evergay would just be out of place in this poll. This poll is about melodic death metal and Evergay is play shitty power metal (as opposed to good power metal, I'm not dissing power metal, just Evergrey).

I agree even some evergray songs are good, but generaly there better bands in Sweden how Evergray and Evergray solds to much ,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.05.2009 - 08:53
JackSyn
Well from the list which u put up there i would have to go with DT but if u were to put Scar Symmetry up there i will pick them without even looking at the other bands :< scar symmetry may be new but in their 3 albums they have done it all really :p
31.07.2009 - 02:15
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Guest on 30.07.2009 at 18:49

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 16.05.2009 at 23:25

yeah Evergrey don't play Melodic Death but awesome Power/Progressive!!!

I don't know about that "awesome" part, but each to their own I guess.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
01.08.2009 - 23:23
Solstafir!
Hmmm....this is like the hardest decision ever...
I'll have to go with DT...they have been the most consistent...
god...I might just change my mind coz I love In Flames and Amon Amarth just as much!!!
02.08.2009 - 21:31
wormdrink414
Elite
Amon Amarth is the only Gothenburg band I actually listen to. I suppose it is the resemblance in themes explored by most folk metal bands that makes the sometimes too simple and repetitive riffs tolerable. That and Johan's vocals are always amazing.
02.08.2009 - 21:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by wormdrink414 on 02.08.2009 at 21:31

Amon Amarth is the only Gothenburg band I actually listen to. I suppose it is the resemblance in themes explored by most folk metal bands that makes the sometimes too simple and repetitive riffs tolerable. That and Johan's vocals are always amazing.

actuary AA is only band in list who can be like ''folk'' because other hasnt nothing do whit folk
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.09.2009 - 14:00
Heru Goroth
The 300th vote goes for arch enemy... but in flames and amon amarth are great bands too...
----
Yes, you are indeed the few;
I am the one...
30.09.2009 - 14:44
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I can only vote for Amon Amarth from this list
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.09.2009 - 14:58
GamlaSonn
Oh I noticed Edge of Sanity up there, a bit optimistic seeing as the majority of their work is pure DM or progg DM?

Anywho, Hypocrisy for me, they just have so many good albums and I'm getting a tad bored of Gothenberg metal and the viking themed amon amarth
01.10.2009 - 12:54
Guib
Thrash Talker
Voted for Arch Enemy
and it is not because I would %#%$#@ Angela...

-_-

Not at all, they're also really good lol
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
01.10.2009 - 13:06
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've been such a fag lately. Avatar's second album "Schlacht" has been spinning 'round and 'round in my stereo. I love it! And this is the typical "modern" Gothenburg radio Metal I despise, it's a disgrace. But then again, I actually liked In Flames' latest attempt "A Sense of Purpose".
----
01.10.2009 - 16:03
Filosofem Child
Account deleted
Amon amarth for me !!
02.10.2009 - 07:54
His Eminence
Account deleted
Dark Tranquility has my vote for this one. Soilwork and In Flames went from really good to horribly mediocre over time. I like At The Gates, but the only album I happen to have listened to by them is Slaughter of the Soul. Amon Amarth and Arch Enemy are good, but they don't beat DT in my opinion.
05.10.2009 - 14:53
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Uhh Scar Symmetry eats all of them for breakfast, lunch dinner and inbetween snacks. Sure the other bands have more of a "history" and fanbase or whatever but the quality of Scar Symmetry is undeniable if you ask me. Ridiculously epic vocals, monster drumming and the kind of stylish and lavish and jaw dropping solos that makes a guitar-nut like myself completely lose control...pretty easy choice actually.
10.07.2010 - 17:34
Behdaad
DEAD
Written by Guest on 05.10.2009 at 14:53

Uhh Scar Symmetry eats all of them for breakfast, lunch dinner and inbetween snacks. Sure the other bands have more of a "history" and fanbase or whatever but the quality of Scar Symmetry is undeniable if you ask me. Ridiculously epic vocals, monster drumming and the kind of stylish and lavish and jaw dropping solos that makes a guitar-nut like myself completely lose control...pretty easy choice actually.

Indeed, Scar Symmetry is a good band, but Dark Tranquillity is an older band. Maybe a few years later, Scar Symmetry is the first band of Melodic Death, but today, it's time for Dark Tranquillty, Amon Amarth, In Flames etc.

My vote goes for Dark Tranquillity.
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
11.07.2010 - 18:08
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Scar Symmetry
13.07.2010 - 02:17
Weaponz248
In Flames for me. All their stuff is great.
13.07.2010 - 02:40
Kennoth
Written by Angelic Storm on 11.07.2010 at 18:08

Scar Symmetry
----
*insert something deep and profound*
13.07.2010 - 02:42
Kennoth
Written by Guest on 05.10.2009 at 14:53

Wholeheartedly agree on this one.

Perhaps they get a little more credit when they get a bit older.
----
13.07.2010 - 02:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
at people that say Scar Symmetry here.

Genric pedestrian middle of the road Gothenburg metal... oh wait... that's how 99% of all people that like metal want and like their metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.07.2010 - 03:16
Kennoth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.07.2010 at 02:44

Genric pedestrian middle of the road Gothenburg metal... oh wait... that's how 99% of all people that like metal want and like their metal.

No need to get offensive now. Things can be said about doom metal too.
----
13.07.2010 - 03:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Kennoth on 13.07.2010 at 03:16

Nothing offensive about this. Just stating the facts,

99% of the metallers don't like doom. Because it makes them think and it is too slow for them and most of it is more original (though heavily inspire by the old masters Sabbath) than what you hear in the Gothenburg department. SS and 45 Solution are NOT melodeath and neither are modern day Dark Tranquillity and In Flames and Arch enemy have never been meloddic death caus ethey had and have nothing to do with death metal whatsoever. Read the articles on melodic death metal here on MS to enlighten you all
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.07.2010 - 03:31
Kennoth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.07.2010 at 03:24

Written by Kennoth on 13.07.2010 at 03:16

Nothing offensive about this. Just stating the facts,

99% of the metallers don't like doom. Because it makes them think and it is too slow for them and most of it is more original (though heavily inspire by the old masters Sabbath) than what you hear in the Gothenburg department. SS and 45 Solution are NOT melodeath and neither are modern day Dark Tranquillity and In Flames and Arch enemy have never been meloddic death caus ethey had and have nothing to do with death metal whatsoever. Read the articles on melodic death metal here on MS to enlighten you all

Subjective opinion is not a fact.

Doom is one of the most neglected metal genres, yes. People prefer speed I guess. So what? Does this make their taste any better or worse than yours?

Saying that Solution and SS have no ties to death metal is ludicrous. While they focus a lot on melodic clean vocals, and melody in general, there are still growls, blast beats and just about most of the things you expect from death metal act. Also, I don't listen to Arch Enemy or In Flames or Dark Tranquility, but if they're not melodic death, just what are they?
----
13.07.2010 - 03:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I think it's just taking some very simplistic traits of death (blast beats and growls) then piling the sugar on top.

"most of the things you would expect for a death metal act"

i guess we expect different things then. to me, DM is still the shit i grew up with in the late 80s early 90's. it's harsh, fast, raw. it's not slick, produced, polished, and catchy.

barely Diet Death. just one calorie!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.07.2010 - 03:58
Kennoth
Written by BitterCOld on 13.07.2010 at 03:42

i guess we expect different things then. to me, DM is still the shit i grew up with in the late 80s early 90's. it's harsh, fast, raw. it's not slick, produced, polished, and catchy.

That's where melodic part of 'melodic death' kicks in. You're just gonna have to accept the fact that the genre has become too big, and inevitably, fusing with other genres will happen.

Besides, if you're not a fan of that specific subgenre, there's always 90's old death, or CC-esqe Brutal one.

(also, polished production is a trend embraced even by a lot of bands you would once call 'raw')
----
13.07.2010 - 04:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Kennoth on 13.07.2010 at 03:58

Written by BitterCOld on 13.07.2010 at 03:42

That's where melodic part of 'melodic death' kicks in. You're just gonna have to accept the fact that the genre has become too big, and inevitably, fusing with other genres will happen.

the big thing is it doesn't just "kick in", it overwhelms and overrides any of the brutality. there are some melodic BM bands that capture both melody and raw aggression. the melodeath i've bothered to listen to in recent years just lacks any of the ferocity in the attack of the "death" part of the name.

to each their own, i guess.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.07.2010 - 04:08
Kennoth
Written by BitterCOld on 13.07.2010 at 04:03

to each their own, i guess.

Definitely.

While I agree that some melodeath bands are heavier than others, as I said on several other occasions, I can't stomach songs which consist solely of harsh vocals; I prefer a harmonic combination of the two (second being clean ones obviously). Scar Symmetry definitely isn't a band if you prefer rawness and brutality, though they too have their moments. (on a sidenote, let us not forget their 'progressive' elements too)
----