Metal Storm logo
Best Swedish Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal band

Original post

Posted by Valmont, 13.07.2006 - 01:37
One extremely important piece of the melodic death jigsaw puzzle is the Gothenburg style, named after the city from which it originated. It is not certain what band originally started the Gothenburg sound, but it is widely accepted that In Flames, At the Gates, and Dark Tranquillity are the three major popularizers of the style, and some of the only widely known bands to practice it, with newer bands such as Arch Enemy and The Haunted being offshoots of Carcass and At The Gates respectively. -Wikipedia
I thought i can just give a little info. Not that you need it tho. Anyways so, which one is it for you? I guess this will end up Amon Amarth being the leader. I don't know maybe because they stayed pure from the beginning but my choice is Dark Tranquillity. They are giving the little signs of turning out like In Flames tho but i follow them!

Poll

Which one is the best Swedish "Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal" band?

Dark Tranquillity
Amon Amarth
In Flames (pre-Clayman)
Arch Enemy
At The Gates
Edge of Sanity
Other
Soilwork

Total votes: 429
18.03.2007 - 21:03
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I was undecided between In Flames and Dark Tranquillity, but i vote for Dark Tranquillity because, in my opinion, i think that their sound in general (guitars and drums specially) is better than In Flames...Ah..and i think that Dark Tranquillity's lyrics are way more interesting than the In Flames lyrics...but still, In Flames are very good!
21.03.2007 - 00:09
Hellrat
Account deleted
My vote goes to In Flames Pre and Post Clayman Although I have really been getting into Arch Enemy lately that chick can fucking growl she puts a lot of male throats to shame.
24.03.2007 - 00:02
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Hmm, Dark Tranquillity is also great... Actually, all Gothenburg Metal bands are great (EVEN PRE AND POST CLAYMAN IN FLAMES!)... Hehe, just to show off a little, everyone I know who likes Dark Tranquillity thinks my growl sound just like Mikael Stannes
25.03.2007 - 04:24
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 24.03.2007 at 00:02

Hmm, Dark Tranquillity is also great... Actually, all Gothenburg Metal bands are great (EVEN PRE AND POST CLAYMAN IN FLAMES!)... Hehe, just to show off a little, everyone I know who likes Dark Tranquillity thinks my growl sound just like Mikael Stannes

Your growl sounds like Mikael Stanne's growl? That's great! So, it must be awesome!
25.03.2007 - 06:09
FrOsTmOuRnE
Account deleted
thats a very hard poll to choose from

Amon Amarth
At The Gates
Arch Enemy
Dark Tranquillity
Edge of Sanity
In Flames (pre-Clayman) are all very good but id have to choose Dark Tranquillity can i choose all of them? if i cant i choose again

Tranquillity FTW
25.03.2007 - 17:03
Melodeath Master
Written by Unconsecrated on 25.03.2007 at 04:24

Written by =maD.Doc:. on 24.03.2007 at 00:02

Your growl sounds like Mikael Stanne's growl? That's great! So, it must be awesome!

Hehe, yeah. Everyone thinks so xD Hehe
29.03.2007 - 09:36
dracov
DT... !! I've listened to inflames, amon amarth, arch enemy, edge of sanity, Dt are my favourite, the lyrics, the music, the feelings... first time i heard lethe i felt the suffer, the pain in the song, in the vocals.. great band! my fav album the gallery
----
Suffering.. Just suffer, you do not have to die
11.04.2007 - 23:06
Ultraraw
Account deleted
I think In Flames is the Best.Vocals and Music is so great
13.04.2007 - 01:22
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
Dark Tranquillity without a doubt. They're just about a whole level above any other Melodic Death Metal band. They do a fantastic job of treating fans with something diferent for each and every album they do. They do an incredible job live as well, I can't get into any band's show more than I can get into their show.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
13.04.2007 - 11:01
FOOCK Nam
I love all though, the Natural Born Chaos album is too hard for me to refuse voting for Soilwork.
15.04.2007 - 12:22
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Very difficult to make a choise. Dark Tranquility, In Flames are very great and Arch Enemy too.

But for all the music I said Amon Amarth. For their song, their music, their universe. And only for their last album "With Oden On Our Side" a really fucking great masterpiece
15.04.2007 - 13:20
LoUd3
Account deleted
Nightrage... Their new realse is pure love <3
16.04.2007 - 20:18
Kuningas_Arthur
Account deleted
Arch Enemy, definetly Arch Enemy.
16.04.2007 - 22:27
Lehtori
Account deleted
Arch Enemy
but all Gothenburg metal is great, and the bands qualities lie very similar; so hard decision
18.04.2007 - 11:36
Raptus666
I can't choose between:
Amon Amarth
Arch Enemy
In Flames
Soilwork
23.05.2007 - 17:30
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Its between Arch Enemy & Dark Tranquility for me. I went for Arch Enemy, why? I'm listening to Wages of Sin
25.05.2007 - 09:07
Sunioj
Written by Guest on 23.05.2007 at 17:30

Its between Arch Enemy & Dark Tranquility for me. I went for Arch Enemy, why? I'm listening to Wages of Sin

Hell yeah dude, its probably my fav gothenburg album of all time besides whoracle by in flames. My favorite songs would have to be Dead bury the dead, Enemy within, and ravenous!
25.05.2007 - 16:50
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 25.05.2007 at 09:07

Written by Guest on 23.05.2007 at 17:30

Hell yeah dude, its probably my fav gothenburg album of all time besides whoracle by in flames. My favorite songs would have to be Dead bury the dead, Enemy within, and ravenous!

Man the whole album rocks, Burning Angels is awesome too the team of Chris and Micheal Amott on guitars would stand up to any other metal band.
25.05.2007 - 23:35
FeskarN
All the bands are so fucking awesome! But i choose In Flames because thay are one of my favorite bands.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
27.05.2007 - 20:39
Hamird
Lieutenant
AMON AMARTH. is the best one, and also others are good, like inflames i enjoy ... but JOHAN HEGG and his band come first for me
02.06.2007 - 21:11
Melodeath Master

If you want to listen to my band follow this link I dunno if it really sounds like Stannes voice on our demo, but the other guys in my band and others of my friends at least thinks so
02.06.2007 - 23:08
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 02.06.2007 at 21:11

If you want to listen to my band follow this link I dunno if it really sounds like Stannes voice on our demo, but the other guys in my band and others of my friends at least thinks so

I've listened to your band's music and i agree with your friends By the way, good sound man!
02.06.2007 - 23:26
APOHAKC
The Bard
I votes for Amon Amarth, seecond choice would be Dark Tranquillity, not a fan of other bands
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
03.06.2007 - 03:15
Robstar
huh... is quite hard to ell those are all great swedish metal ... but I'll choose Dark Tranquillity , I had the change to see them live during their Character tour and it blew my fucking mind... M yvote goes to Dark Tranquillity .
----
Nothing is unreacheable
Robstar
huh... is quite hard to tell those are all great swedish metal ... but I'll choose Dark Tranquillity , I had the change to see them live during their Character tour and it blew my fucking mind... M yvote goes to Dark Tranquillity .
----
Nothing is unreacheable
Robstar
huh... is quite hard to tell those are all great swedish metal ... but I'll choose Dark Tranquillity , I had the change to see them live during their Character tour and it blew my fucking mind... My vote goes to Dark Tranquillity .
----
Nothing is unreacheable
16.06.2007 - 20:07
Jiri
That was a tough poll. I ended up going for Dark Tranquillity. Most of them are grwat bands!
16.06.2007 - 23:50
In Chaos
In Flames is the best band from sweden so I just have to choose In Flames. but why does it stand pre-clayman cos to me In Flames is sill Gothenburg metal.
Arch Enemy and Soilwork is great too.
20.06.2007 - 03:57
Nazeef
I consider AMARAN one of the best Swedish Melodic Metal, It's unfortunate to see them split, PRISTINE IN BOUNDAGE is one of my favorite album!!!
But here's AMON AMARTH running along the Northern Line!!
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
23.06.2007 - 02:16
Infurnace
I pretty much like all the bands, but if I have to choose one of them, I would pick Amon Amarth. They simply play great Viking/Melodic Death Metal.