Metal Storm logo
Best Swedish Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal band

Original post

Posted by Valmont, 13.07.2006 - 01:37
One extremely important piece of the melodic death jigsaw puzzle is the Gothenburg style, named after the city from which it originated. It is not certain what band originally started the Gothenburg sound, but it is widely accepted that In Flames, At the Gates, and Dark Tranquillity are the three major popularizers of the style, and some of the only widely known bands to practice it, with newer bands such as Arch Enemy and The Haunted being offshoots of Carcass and At The Gates respectively. -Wikipedia
I thought i can just give a little info. Not that you need it tho. Anyways so, which one is it for you? I guess this will end up Amon Amarth being the leader. I don't know maybe because they stayed pure from the beginning but my choice is Dark Tranquillity. They are giving the little signs of turning out like In Flames tho but i follow them!

Poll

Which one is the best Swedish "Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal" band?

Dark Tranquillity
Amon Amarth
In Flames (pre-Clayman)
Arch Enemy
At The Gates
Edge of Sanity
Other
Soilwork

Total votes: 429
24.09.2006 - 02:09
Veeken
Account deleted
DT owns!
24.09.2006 - 03:38
Invoked
Account deleted
I'd pick Dissection or Necrophobic, but I guess they aren't really considered part of the "Gothenburg scene" (even if they're from the area and helped shape the sound). I picked Dark Tranquillity, who were miles ahead of most of their peers. "Punish My Heaven" simply blows away anything In Flames has ever done. Arch Enemy is pretty boring (even more-so after getting that monotonous growling chick), and At the Gates unfortunately took the same path of commercialization as Carcass. From the little Soilwork I've heard, it doesn't seem like they're really adding anything to the genre, but they're still far superior to imitators in the US such as As I Lay Dying and countless others.
24.09.2006 - 06:34
HelplessHysteria
Account deleted
Written by [user id=1909] on 11.08.2006 at 02:23

I voted In Flames but Clayman-era included....In Flames 1994 - 2000 was for me the best Melodic Death band.

Soilwork was fantastic on their first couple of albums including Natural Born chaos, but they took an unbelievable nose-dive after that and went from great to fuckin horrible in a matter or 3 years...

Dark Tranquillity has always been great eventhough I never really got into them as much as i did with In Flames (not sure why). "Damage Done" and "Character" are two class albums though.

At the Gates released probably one of the best albums with "Slaughter of the Soul" in 1995, but thats the only album of theirs that i really liked so I couldnt really vote them as the best.

Ive never been a huge fan of Amon Amarth, probably because its so slow and sort of bores me. Sure its probably heavier than the bands mentioned but still not really my cup of tea...

Arch Enemy - Cant stand them...

Edge of Sanity - Never bothered listening to them

Fucking horrible? That's what I would call In Flames after Lunar Strains. I guarantee you Figure Number Five is a more diverse album than anything In Flames released after Strains.

Damage Done was a great album, Character didn't impress me. I think everything Dark Tranquillity did between The Gallery and Damage Done was as good as melodic death metal gets.

I think Terminal Spirit Disease and With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness were their better releases. Slaughter of the Soul is incredibly repeatitive. It's a great first listen, but it doesn't have longevity, but many seem to disagree with me.

Yeah Arch Enemy sucks.

Edge of Sanity is more Progressive Doom than Melodic Death. Good project from Mr. Swano though.
24.09.2006 - 09:28
BlackMin
Account deleted
Arch Enemy, In Flames and Dark Tranquillity have done some great releases in the past. Nowadays i cant stand any of them. For what comes to singe record, i think i would have to choose Slaughter of the Soul. Crimsom from Edge of Sanity is great albums aswell but i wouldnt really classify them as melodeath band, its more like proggressive death metal ala Opeth.. Its a really tought decission but i would pick Amon Amarth, since they havent made a singe "let down" album, oh well Fate of Norns wasnt that great but the rest of their albums are simply awesome.
25.09.2006 - 12:03
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Written by [user id=16314] on 24.09.2006 at 06:34

I voted In Flames but Clayman-era included....In Flames 1994 - 2000 was for me the best Melodic Death band.

Soilwork was fantastic on their first couple of albums including Natural Born chaos, but they took an unbelievable nose-dive after that and went from great to fuckin horrible in a matter or 3 years...

Dark Tranquillity has always been great eventhough I never really got into them as much as i did with In Flames (not sure why). "Damage Done" and "Character" are two class albums though.

At the Gates released probably one of the best albums with "Slaughter of the Soul" in 1995, but thats the only album of theirs that i really liked so I couldnt really vote them as the best.

Ive never been a huge fan of Amon Amarth, probably because its so slow and sort of bores me. Sure its probably heavier than the bands mentioned but still not really my cup of tea...

Fucking horrible? That's what I would call In Flames after Lunar Strains. I guarantee you Figure Number Five is a more diverse album than anything In Flames released after Strains.

Damage Done was a great album, Character didn't impress me. I think everything Dark Tranquillity did between The Gallery and Damage Done was as good as melodic death metal gets.

I think Terminal Spirit Disease and With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness were their better releases. Slaughter of the Soul is incredibly repeatitive. It's a great first listen, but it doesn't have longevity, but many seem to disagree with me.

Yeah Arch Enemy sucks.

Edge of Sanity is more Progressive Doom than Melodic Death. Good project from Mr. Swano though.

You cant guarantee me of anything cozz its my opinion....this topic isnt about right and wrong its about choice
25.09.2006 - 18:17
Tydirium
Account deleted
In this case I chose Amon Amarth, but I think they do
not fit into the list of bands... They differ very clearly
from the rest...

If I had to choose from the other bands, which are real
melodic death bands (to my mind) i would choose In Flames
because they own Soilwork and Dark Tranquility (etc.) to my
mind by there whole popularity and style...
27.09.2006 - 07:31
Sasuke_Avenger
Account deleted
Written by Metalguaska on 11.08.2006 at 06:38

Definitely Arch Enemy is by far, the best band of the listed above, it just a great band, with a great singer, and a really good song-writing, this makes Arch Enemy the full package, i really don't have anything to criticize to them, and they are one of my favorite bands... the other bands are quite good, but none of that bands has affected me the way Arch Enemy has done it...

Yeah, Arch Enemy is the best, and I don't see any prolbem about the way Angela singing metal songs.
The Amott Brothers' teamwork is incredible, and if you ask me, I'll say their guitar playing skill are the best of all (except Yngwie Malmsteen, though, but we're talking 'bout Gothernburg metal here, right ?) . Daniel's drums and Sharlee's bass are also real good. Their songs always dark and getting darker after time
I love the album "Wages of Sin" and "Ravenous" is the best

Arch Enemy is the no 1, and Dark Tranquillity is the no2
27.09.2006 - 08:57
BlackMin
Account deleted
Written by [user id=16657] on 27.09.2006 at 07:31

Written by Metalguaska on 11.08.2006 at 06:38

Definitely Arch Enemy is by far, the best band of the listed above, it just a great band, with a great singer, and a really good song-writing, this makes Arch Enemy the full package, i really don't have anything to criticize to them, and they are one of my favorite bands... the other bands are quite good, but none of that bands has affected me the way Arch Enemy has done it...

Yeah, Arch Enemy is the best, and I don't see any prolbem about the way Angela singing metal songs.
The Amott Brothers' teamwork is incredible, and if you ask me, I'll say their guitar playing skill are the best of all (except Yngwie Malmsteen, though, but we're talking 'bout Gothernburg metal here, right ?) . Daniel's drums and Sharlee's bass are also real good. Their songs always dark and getting darker after time
I love the album "Wages of Sin" and "Ravenous" is the best

Arch Enemy is the no 1, and Dark Tranquillity is the no2

Yeah the Amott brothers are awesome, Michael has done some amazing guitar work since the beginning of Carcass. Tbh the "guitars" are the only reason why im still listening to Arch Enemy, sometimes ^^ ..
27.09.2006 - 13:32
Mariela.
Account deleted
Arch Enemy will get my vote because of Angela! I think she's such a strong woman and I respect her. She has shown that a girl can be in a metal band and sing something else than clean vocals!
27.09.2006 - 14:31
DyNo!!
Account deleted
..... i was undecided of vote at the gates or dark tranquillity ... i voted dark tranquillity 'cause i've listen more DT stuff than ATG...
27.09.2006 - 15:09
Tydirium
Account deleted
Written by [user id=3041] on 27.09.2006 at 13:32

Arch Enemy will get my vote because of Angela! I think she's such a strong woman and I respect her. She has shown that a girl can be in a metal band and sing something else than clean vocals!

Live they are a great disappointment...
27.09.2006 - 16:37
Hyvaarin

I voted Dark Tranquillity because I think that their music is the best (and also because of their influence over the genre).
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
28.09.2006 - 02:42
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by [user id=11853] on 27.09.2006 at 15:09

That's not what I've heard or seen.
28.09.2006 - 08:59
Mariela.
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Hyvaarin on 27.09.2006 at 16:37

I voted Dark Tranquillity because I think that their music is the best (and also because of their influence over the genre).

Arch Enemy has great music to..if u mean that...
28.09.2006 - 09:01
Mariela.
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Dangerboner on 28.09.2006 at 02:42

That's not what I've heard or seen.

Agree. I love Arch Enemy live and will se them live again in november!
28.09.2006 - 09:31
Hyvaarin
Written by [user id=3041] on 28.09.2006 at 08:59

Just highlighting the fact that you didn't actually mention the music .
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
28.09.2006 - 09:37
Mariela.
Account deleted
Written by Hyvaarin on 28.09.2006 at 09:31

Written by [user id=3041] on 28.09.2006 at 08:59

Just highlighting the fact that you didn't actually mention the music .

Yes, I understood that.
28.09.2006 - 11:41
Sasuke_Avenger
Account deleted

I've never seen them live (cuz i'm in Vietnam, and I think they don't even know that Vietnam has some real metalheads and even some satanism guys here ), but I've watch some of their live clip and they live even better than in the album

Has anyone here have their new DVD Live Apocalypse ?
28.09.2006 - 16:27
Damageplan
Account deleted
I think, Arch Enemy is one of the best bands in swedish melodic death metal and death metal in general.

Don't forget, the carcass ex-member Michael Amott. He's so f***ing talented musician \,,/
30.09.2006 - 23:21
Bash'
:)
actually .. three main bands it's hard to choose between them ..

Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth ..

gonna see later who am going to decide ... but it's not viewable to see the current results..!! maybe they can give me an ispiration for whom i might vote..!!

but i may will get Amon Amarth out of my list.. still there is two, and i newly getting onto Dark so i don't want to be biased for Arch just becoz i know them from b4..
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
01.10.2006 - 03:02
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'm pretty surprised at the result of the poll. I thought that Amon Amarth would be on top, not near the bottom.
01.10.2006 - 03:05
Stigmatized
Written by Dangerboner on 01.10.2006 at 03:02

I'm pretty surprised at the result of the poll. I thought that Amon Amarth would be on top, not near the bottom.

Hmmmm, I feel the opposite. I think the bands that are getting all the votes are far superior to Amon Amarth. Or were you just making a reference to their popularity?
01.10.2006 - 03:07
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Stigmatized on 01.10.2006 at 03:05

Written by Dangerboner on 01.10.2006 at 03:02

Hmmmm, I feel the opposite. I think the bands that are getting all the votes are far superior to Amon Amarth. Or were you just making a reference to their popularity?

Well, I was making a reference to their popularity, but I do feel that they sould be near the top. I voted for Arch Enemy, but Amon Amarth would be second for me. The only person that can harmonize guitars as well as Amon Amarth do is Dave Mustaine.
01.10.2006 - 21:15
Bitch Boy
I voted Dark Tranquillity. Their atmosphere and lyrics make this band the best from the list, but Arch Enemy is quite close, Angela's vocals and both Amott's guitars are just great.
01.10.2006 - 22:04
Flame
I voted In Flames. They are just the best on the list, but At the gates
is also good.
05.10.2006 - 20:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

But who sad girl cant rock?
Of cours eif its like Lita Ford in song ''Kiss Me Deadly'' Im but Sngela has proove she is like lil swedish tarj Turunen, but in Sweden was one more band whit 19by years old girl from Stockholm and some 3 demo and band name wa swhit letter d I think D and she sings simmilar and band play simmilar but re unknown, but I forgot name of it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.10.2006 - 11:01
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
I cant really decide between Arch Enemy and Dark Tranquillity.............
but I guess DT is a better Melodic band IMO
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
27.10.2006 - 06:26
TheReAl_StEvE-O
Account deleted
Written by [user id=1909] on 25.09.2006 at 12:03

Written by [user id=16314] on 24.09.2006 at 06:34

Arch Enemy Are awesome, though about Soilwork I have to agree with you Stabbing the Drama and Figure Number Five Sucked.In Flames have always been good claymen or not.
27.10.2006 - 06:35
TheReAl_StEvE-O
Account deleted
My vote goes for Arch Enemy but I REALLY like Amon Amrth too. Cant wait to see them live with COB
28.10.2006 - 04:19
tulkas
el parcero
I voted for Amon Amarth, although it was hard decision with Arch Enemy and Dark Tranquillity, those 2 bands are also amazing. It was really hard, but in the end I chose A.A.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top