Metal Storm logo
Best Swedish Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal band

Original post

Posted by Valmont, 13.07.2006 - 01:37
One extremely important piece of the melodic death jigsaw puzzle is the Gothenburg style, named after the city from which it originated. It is not certain what band originally started the Gothenburg sound, but it is widely accepted that In Flames, At the Gates, and Dark Tranquillity are the three major popularizers of the style, and some of the only widely known bands to practice it, with newer bands such as Arch Enemy and The Haunted being offshoots of Carcass and At The Gates respectively. -Wikipedia
I thought i can just give a little info. Not that you need it tho. Anyways so, which one is it for you? I guess this will end up Amon Amarth being the leader. I don't know maybe because they stayed pure from the beginning but my choice is Dark Tranquillity. They are giving the little signs of turning out like In Flames tho but i follow them!

Poll

Which one is the best Swedish "Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal" band?

Dark Tranquillity
Amon Amarth
In Flames (pre-Clayman)
Arch Enemy
At The Gates
Edge of Sanity
Other
Soilwork

Total votes: 429
28.10.2006 - 04:59
danzig111
Account deleted
Most definately Amon Amarth! The content/theme of their material gets me so excited, it touches my heart. Though I have no Viking Blood.....their music makes me feel right at home, it makes me wanna embark on an epic crusade of some sort

......though In Flames were good too
28.10.2006 - 08:34
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
AMON AMARTH! the basslines and the guitar riffs synch so well.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.10.2006 - 01:21
Grey_Dandelion
Dark tranquillity...they are from another dimension-light years away
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
04.11.2006 - 08:13
Eternal Flames
Edge Of Sanity are the best for me. Crimson and Crimson II were masterpieces. The use of keyboards really enhances the album. Edge Of Sanity aren't like the rest of the generic Gothenburg metal bands. They are more unique and therefore my vote goes to them. At The Gates follows very closely behind though. They're probably one of the first bands that really started the Gothenburg style. It's a shame that neither band have any lead in the poll.
04.11.2006 - 09:11
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
Amon Amarth without any thought, their consistency throught out their albums is awesome, live shows are awesome, seen those videos and the energy they generate is really awesome, also, the riffs are great, bass lines haunting, drums automatically fall in place without saying a word.

Awesome thread, will keep checking this, btw im applying to Gothenburg for my masters, hoping my application gets accepted.
06.11.2006 - 19:12
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Very very hard choice...
I was in doubt between Dark Tranquillity, In Flames and Soilwork. In the end I chose Dark Tranquillity, all their albums are amazing and different. My favorite is Damage Done but Character, The Gallery, The Mind's I...all incredible works! And their technical approach, almost prog in some situations, drives me crazy!
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
06.11.2006 - 22:36
Twist
Twisted Kid
For me,it's either Arch Enemy or Soilwork. I like all the bands on the list,but out of them,these two stand out the best. Arch Enemy has the really tight riffs,that get my hair and neck really moving and nice solos that are actually memorable and melodic,not just blinding and deafening fast shredding. A big plus for the band is a hot singer.

Soilwork has a really massive sound,good lyrics and the music gets me beating stuff to pieces. Unlike many fans,I like their three latest more than the earlier,Stabbing The Drama being my favorite. A big plus for the band is that Will Smith is a fan of theirs (not really a very good reason to give a plus,but if a big star is a fan of theirs,then who gives a shit).
----
Is this where we suffer LOL
07.11.2006 - 00:57
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Why not Clayman? It wasn't that bad of an album.

If I COULD choose, I would choose Arch Enemy, hands down.

Mind you, it would only be becuase of their earlier material.
07.11.2006 - 11:09
Seelenlos
Amon Amarth forever, but also Arch Enemy or Dark Tranquility could be a good answer... but at the end albums like With Oden on our side make the vote goes to AA
08.11.2006 - 22:10
DeathMuffin
Arch Enemy for me...their songs are memorable and have structure but are still harsh...what more could you want?
28.11.2006 - 16:19
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Dark Tranquillity for me !!!!

And then In Flames (all periods) and At The Gates for Slaughter Of The Soul (I still have difficulties with their earlier material)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
28.11.2006 - 19:17
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Amon Amarth really shouldn't be on that list, they're not all that much melodeath..I guess they are, but we have the viking label for a reason....either way, I'm voting Edge of Sanity.

EDIT: Whoops, accidentally hit Amon Amarth when voting >-<
28.11.2006 - 21:30
RavenLord
Written by Guest on 28.11.2006 at 19:17

Amon Amarth really shouldn't be on that list, they're not all that much melodeath..I guess they are, but we have the viking label for a reason....either way, I'm voting Edge of Sanity.

EDIT: Whoops, accidentally hit Amon Amarth when voting >-<

Amon Amarth ARE Melodic Death. By nature of the fact that they play death metal...which is melodic. Apart from their lyrics and image, there isn't anything particularly 'Viking' about their music. I was under the impression that Viking Metal had to incoporate something resembling folk metal into the music, as well as having Viking-themed lyrics.
----
28.11.2006 - 21:58
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Well, I agree with you fully, it is melodic death metal...but not in the strictest sense of the gothenburg sound. The viking imagery, themes and attitude put forth by the band both live and by the art in which they surround themselves constitutes a viking metal band, folk metal is not the essential part....Korpiklaani and Finntroll are folk metal bands because they do not have any viking imagery, for example, and Ensiferum is a viking metal band because they have viking imagery and incorporate folk-elements in their music. Because A (Viking bands need viking imagery to be viking metal) is true, does not mean B (Viking bands need folk music to be viking metal) is true.
29.11.2006 - 05:35
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Amon Amarth is a melodic death metal band with Viking lyrics. Their sound pretty much defines what Melodic Death Metal is.
29.11.2006 - 18:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
From the list I choose In Flames, although I don't consider them to be one of my favourite bands anymore. But they do mean a lot to me, it's the band I've seen live most times (3 times) and they've done a lot of amazing songs. I'd also consider Colony to be one of the best album ever!
----
29.11.2006 - 21:22
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 29.11.2006 at 05:35

Amon Amarth is a melodic death metal band with Viking lyrics. Their sound pretty much defines what Melodic Death Metal is.

Fine, but I will still consider Doomsword viking metal, not epic doom metal with viking lyrics.
01.01.2007 - 19:10
hooligan
Account deleted
Amon Amarth. Awesome lyrics and kick ass melodic riffs. Dark Tranquillity and Arch Enemy are also great bands but I still choose Amon Amarth.
02.01.2007 - 15:44
Sunioj
Its a hard choice, my top thre are in flames, arch enemy and at the gates, I think I will go with AE, cuz I like most of their albums.
03.01.2007 - 15:14
oliviaa
Amon Amarth! Easy choise there!
----
10.01.2007 - 17:35
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Gah, it was a hard choice, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Soilwork and Dark Tranquillity are some of my favos. But i chose Amon Amarth, i guess the impact that had With Oden On Our Side is too great to be forgotten already.
10.01.2007 - 17:36
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Oh, i forgot In Flames.
12.01.2007 - 01:43
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I love all of those bands, but my vote is going to have to go to At The Gates. All of their albums are superb, even though they are really hard to get into. Slaughter Of The Soul is really great.
12.01.2007 - 12:37
Eight
Shapeshifter
Gardenian are also great, theve got Bruce Dickinsonish vocals mixed with growl and they are kinda unknown so that makes them aumatically the best
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
12.01.2007 - 14:59
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
I chose amon amarth because I'm more into death metal than into gothenburg metal.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
22.02.2007 - 05:22
devildriver86
idk this is a hard one its between In Flames (pre-clayman) Dark Tranquillity and Arch Enemy i love all three bands but personaly im gona have to go with In Flames (pre-clayman) they got me started with gothenburg metal and since then i havent turned back so that is who i vote for
22.02.2007 - 09:26
Danny Thomas
i chose Dark Tranquillity, but iv'e been really into Amon Amarth's new album as well, so its a tough call. but i'd say overall dark tranquillity is in my top 5 favorite bands of all time
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
22.02.2007 - 11:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Paganblood on 12.01.2007 at 14:59

I chose amon amarth because I'm more into death metal than into gothenburg metal.

I agree Amon Amarth are more death/viking how gethenburg so I dunno why thay are in poll
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.02.2007 - 11:51
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Bad English on 22.02.2007 at 11:36

Written by Paganblood on 12.01.2007 at 14:59

I agree Amon Amarth are more death/viking how gethenburg so I dunno why thay are in poll

They are in this poll because he title of the poll also says ' swedish melodic DM'... but placing Amon Amarth among the list of gothenburg bands is quite odd, I agree.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
18.03.2007 - 14:35
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
I wonder why it's just In Flames Pre-Clayman... They are still Melodic Death/Gothenburg... But not as much death as before... The only two albums I consider real Death from them is Lunar Strain and Jester Race. After that they where more own sound. In Flames, just as simple as that. I vote for In Flames, both Pre-Clayman and after Clayman. Hail In Flames \m/