Metal Storm logo
What kind of metalhead are you at concerts?

Poll

What kind of metalhead are you at concerts?

The headbanger
The quiet listener
something else
The "I'm evil and you know it" dude
The badmouth spectator
The "I go there just to drink beer" dude

Total votes: 192
27.05.2009 - 12:03
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
This is meant to be funny and also it will be interesting to see where the majority lies. Also, a lot of people listen to metal and don't consider themselves metalheads, so I use that term as a general starting point, this is a metal forum after all.

I'll tell you, I'm a mix of the headbanger and the quiet listener. How about you?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.05.2009 - 12:12
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I'm a mix of the quiet listener and the dude that goes there just to drink beer (I voted for the quiet listener because I guess I listen more than I drink )
27.05.2009 - 12:23
Smurfophagist
I am the 'I'm evil and you know it dude' followed up by 'I'm getting my ass kicked dude'
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
27.05.2009 - 12:32
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
I always make my way to the front, in the beginning I feel like a chinese chicken all squashed up but after a while I always seem to end up with a circle of space around me. I'm not violent, I just let the music carry me away so I don't even know myself what I do. That's why I voted Headbanger!!!
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
27.05.2009 - 12:43
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I headbang and raise my fists and shout. it's the MUSIC that matters, everyone who goes to shows just to be tr00 or for whatever reason other than that gives metal a bad name.

i hate people who just go there for the lulz or to sit around with their arms crossed looking grim/depressed as if their pet hamster just got squashed by a speeding truck or to drink absurd amounts of beer and generally be assholes.

more details here http://metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=17192
27.05.2009 - 13:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
When I was younger I used to be the headbanger, stagediver, mosher. But as I got older I moved towards the bar and now I am the quiet listener with the glass of beer (which is never empty) in his hand.
But I am the one who shows up BEFORE the first band starts (no matter how many bands play and no matter how many I don't know) because I am there for the music first and foremost.

I TOTALLY despise those people that JUST show up for one band and aren't there to check out the openers (unless they of course really can't make it, but that goes without saying) or leave after their favourite band without good reason.

And I noticed that by standing at the bar one gets a better idea if the gig was actually GOOD. People that go apeshit at the front actually somehow ALWAYS think every gig is good no matter how bad it was.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.05.2009 - 14:20
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.05.2009 at 13:43

And I noticed that by standing at the bar one gets a better idea if the gig was actually GOOD. People that go apeshit at the front actually somehow ALWAYS think every gig is good no matter how bad it was.

true, but sometimes people need to go apeshit and think afterwards "damn, those guys controlled the stage!", i mean, if i attended a Priest gig and didn't stay at the front i might have noticed something bad like the guitars are turned way too low or something, or Rob's losing his voice (never the case, just giving examples ) and such disappointments would just cause a decline in my interest in the band. of course it's justified only when the band considered is among your favorites, i wouldn't care for example if Edguy or Helloween(which are bands from which i moderately like what i've heard thus far) had a horrible gig since i'll just say "ah well, they suck, what can you do?" but to go from "omg this band is awesome" to "they were SO disappointing when i saw them!" could be a bit extreme..

btw Marcel do/did you ever use earplugs? i want to try them out for the upcoming Manowar gig, i'll be at the very front and hate it when my ears ring for 3 days after the show. that way i can hear the instruments more clearly, be where the action is as far as fans are concerned, and not have horrible ringing ears/hearing problems the day after. and i am pretty sure Manowar can't disappoint me when they play, i'm used to Joey's retarded bass solos
27.05.2009 - 14:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 27.05.2009 at 14:20

true, but sometimes people need to go apeshit and think afterwards "damn, those guys controlled the stage!", i mean, if i attended a Priest gig and didn't stay at the front i might have noticed something bad like the guitars are turned way too low or something, or Rob's losing his voice (never the case, just giving examples ) and such disappointments would just cause a decline in my interest in the band. of course it's justified only when the band considered is among your favorites, i wouldn't care for example if Edguy or Helloween(which are bands from which i moderately like what i've heard thus far) had a horrible gig since i'll just say "ah well, they suck, what can you do?" but to go from "omg this band is awesome" to "they were SO disappointing when i saw them!" could be a bit extreme..

btw Marcel do/did you ever use earplugs? i want to try them out for the upcoming Manowar gig, i'll be at the very front and hate it when my ears ring for 3 days after the show. that way i can hear the instruments more clearly, be where the action is as far as fans are concerned, and not have horrible ringing ears/hearing problems the day after. and i am pretty sure Manowar can't disappoint me when they play, i'm used to Joey's retarded bass solos

Rob never losing his voice? This is an example of a quote that could only be given by someone who stands up close. Cause Rob's HAS deteriorated IMMENSELY over the years. He can't reach his high notes anymore and his low end also sounds dodgy (to put it mildly) and what is even more embarassing is that Rob has to read the lyrics for the songs of papaer and autocue nowadays.

As for earplugs they SHOULD BE WORN at EVERY SINGLE CONCERT.
When I started going to gigs way back in 1983 I didn't wear earplugs and have come to regret it. Yes, I suffered ear damage because of that.

From your comment on the ringing of ears I gather you have experienced that already? That they rung for more than one or two hours? If that is the case I can guarantee you your ears are already damaged.

Btw, I now have custommade earplugs (which I btw forget to bring along quite often ) and even if you don't have earplugs ALL normal concert halls and clubs usually sell the throwaway types for low prices at the bar, or at least should sell them.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.05.2009 - 14:31
ForeverDarkWoods
I'm something of a mixture between the headbanger, the quiet listener, and the beer-drinking dude. It all depends on the band, the setting, and my general mood at the time of the show. If it's a band I really like, I tend to want to somehow show my appriciation by being at the front and really living it up to the max, but as for more underground opener acts that I don't know much about or bands that I don't really have that much of an interest in, I tend to stay back and have a few beers and just listen to the music. This way you can really enjoy your favourite bands, but still take the time to listen more properly to the unknown opener acts. Sometimes this lets me find good bands that I haven't heard before, and that's always a good thing.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
27.05.2009 - 14:49
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.05.2009 at 14:27

Written by Valentin B on 27.05.2009 at 14:20

Rob never losing his voice? This is an example of a quote that could only be given by someone who stands up close. Cause Rob's HAS deteriorated IMMENSELY over the years. He can't reach his high notes anymore and his low end also sounds dodgy (to put it mildly) and what is even more embarassing is that Rob has to read the lyrics for the songs of papaer and autocue nowadays.

As for earplugs they SHOULD BE WORN at EVERY SINGLE CONCERT.
When I started going to gigs way back in 1983 I didn't wear earplugs and have come to regret it. Yes, I suffered ear damage because of that.

From your comment on the ringing of ears I gather you have experienced that already? That they rung for more than one or two hours? If that is the case I can guarantee you your ears are already damaged.

Btw, I now have custommade earplugs (which I btw forget to bring along quite often ) and even if you don't have earplugs ALL normal concert halls and clubs usually sell the throwaway types for low prices at the bar, or at least should sell them.

no, i haven't ever seen a club that sells ear plugs... honestly lol. i know a shop nearby though that sells stuff like those that help hearing for old people, could they have stuff like that too?
27.05.2009 - 16:03
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Voted for the headbanger guy cause that's what i like most. but there are some times that i belong to other categories...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
27.05.2009 - 16:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 27.05.2009 at 14:49

no, i haven't ever seen a club that sells ear plugs... honestly lol. i know a shop nearby though that sells stuff like those that help hearing for old people, could they have stuff like that too?

Why lol at the idea of a club selling earplugs?
Good chance such a shop as you mentioned sells them or else a shop that caters to people that work on assembly lines in noisy factories. Or else a music store that sells instruments (drums, guitars etc.)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.05.2009 - 17:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.05.2009 at 16:09

Good chance such a shop as you mentioned sells them or else a shop that caters to people that work on assembly lines in noisy factories. Or else a music store that sells instruments (drums, guitars etc.)

i lol'd because i've never seen any club sells this stuff yet you consider that every club HAS to sell ear plugs, didn't even cross my mind once that the places with live music over in western europe have them on sale
27.05.2009 - 17:29
tulkas
el parcero
I voted the headbanger, but i'm also a quiet listener. if it is a big huge concert i'll headbang as much as i can, although usually with the openers, who most of the time, if not always, are local bands, i don't usually headbang. right there i'm the quiet listener, trying to know the band because i've never seen an opener band that i know, but i'd liked some of them. and when it's a local gig or something, i'm more of a quiet listener because of the reasons i mentioned, but ocasionally, if the band moves me, i'll stand up and headbang a bit
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
27.05.2009 - 17:47
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Valentin B on 27.05.2009 at 17:24

i lol'd because i've never seen any club sells this stuff yet you consider that every club HAS to sell ear plugs, didn't even cross my mind once that the places with live music over in western europe have them on sale

You should at least always be able to find disposable ear-plugs in drugstores. They ought to gave the foam and silicon variety. Otherwise, if you really cant find ANYTHING, noise canceling canalphones can do the job, although they decrease noise levels only by roughly 20 dB (making a 100dB gig barely bearable at 80dB and the usual 110+dB metal gig still too loud.)
27.05.2009 - 18:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by jupitreas on 27.05.2009 at 17:47

Written by Valentin B on 27.05.2009 at 17:24

You should at least always be able to find disposable ear-plugs in drugstores. They ought to gave the foam and silicon variety. Otherwise, if you really cant find ANYTHING, noise canceling canalphones can do the job, although they decrease noise levels only by roughly 20 dB (making a 100dB gig barely bearable at 80dB and the usual 110+dB metal gig still too loud.)

yeah i'm gonna try at the drug stores, thanks
27.05.2009 - 18:54
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I also like to see the opening bands. I started to like Pure Reason Revolution when I saw them open for Porcupine Tree (I knew their first record before but they convince me live).

I usually am open-minded when it comes to bands I never heard before.

And about earplugs, I see a lot of people wearing them at metal concerts, I'm sure it makes for a good sound mix lol If you're in the front rows, your ears get killed.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.05.2009 - 20:00
TheOwl
I love to drink & smoke at lives & festivals. When I was much younger did loads of stagediving and moshing, now just enjoy and get wasted!!
27.05.2009 - 20:05
HugeTheConqeror
I consider myself the "Headbanger-who-tries-to-keep-himself-out-of-the-way-of-the-moshpit-because-I'm-getting-too-old-for-that-shit" dude.

I am also a Metal journalist/reviewer for one of the online magazines, however, so if I'm reviewing the show, I try to strike a good balance between headbanging and staying back a bit so I can get a good feel for the performance and also jot down some notes for later.

AS for the earplugs, I saw them for sale at the merch table when I went to Pagan Fest a couple of weeks ago. I actually liked that, since it was almost like the bands were communicating to the fans that wearing them does not make you anly less of a true fan.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
27.05.2009 - 20:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

at the Opeth gig last week they were selling earplugs at the Merch stand. the funniest was the hand drawn sign next to them stating: "These are NOT Opeth ear plugs!"

as far as who am i at gigs? i stand back by the bar and listen for most bands or for those i am unfamiliar with. if it's a band i really love - Enslaved, High on Fire (bring earplugs if you see them) i'll move up close. for Slayer, i'm near the pit, part of that jostling wall for a chunk of the show just to get the energy out.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.05.2009 - 20:26
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I had to vote for the "something else" category. At first I was going to pick "The headbanger" but that no longer fits me. I wish it could, but it seems like I have very little chances to head bang. So my write in is: Heavy Metal Priest. It is impossible for me to go to a show around here without having people coming up to me to chat. The last show I went to I got to see only part of it because several people really wanted to talk to me right then and there.
----
(space for rent)
27.05.2009 - 21:26
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
What's "I'm evil and you know it" dude?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.05.2009 - 21:26
Winterfog
I am the "I go there just to drink beer" dude , because in my country there are only few bands that worth going to a concert and listen to them... So I stopped going to concerts , but when an international band comes then I become the headbanger and enjoy till death
27.05.2009 - 21:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Bloodtears you forgot option, locking for girls

Marcel - I agree if I go I go for all , but if for example My Dying Bride be Hadliner and my chamical romance and linkin park are openers I would show up for MDB only, ok wasnt good example

I more mix between banger and The quiet listener
Depends of how far Im for home, where is it opan air or inside,
If its open air I definitly try find place where sit in grass and rest, if its 5 houyrs something it takes a lot of energy, summer Im more banger, winter inside The quiet listener
But I never go in front of stage, biggest gig was in Ullevi aka Scandimnavium 2005 Iron Maiden 82 000 people,(I wish sweeds go to hockey n football so much )
I was far far away from stage

Ozzy/BLS I was sitting and wathing show
Slade/Sweet I sit where was sound syetem and ontrol room, more talking whit dutch woman

Europe - I was far from stage banging , so

About booze I try not waste my self, those who fly whit plains eat 2kg watter melone and drink beer ou know why
im shows aint no good beer anyweay speecly in Swe its expencive, in Lv no way i gonna drink fucking Cēsu beer

So I vote for something else but its means mix whit banger n silant listener
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.05.2009 - 21:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Bad English on 27.05.2009 at 21:30

Bloodtears you forgot option, locking for girls

yeah lol one time i actually went for the final part of a 10 hour show just for that, i had previously bought my ticket so i could talk with this drummer about forming a band and then figured "what the hell, why don't i go back? i still have the stamp on my arm and there's that band which i wanted to see, maybe i could pick up some hot pussy" it almost worked
27.05.2009 - 22:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Lies. there are no chicks at metal shows. as the joke goes... what has 2,000 legs and 2 tits?

the crowd at an Overkill show.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.05.2009 - 22:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well there re girls in metal shows but they looking for band members , nobody looks at simply guys like me

and music is main think in show, enjoy it secend, lil booze 3th girls last
----

apos;'
[image]
27.05.2009 - 22:38
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Bad English on 27.05.2009 at 22:35

A really good show is when you can get it all.

Great music, headbanging, booze and girl(s)....
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
27.05.2009 - 22:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 27.05.2009 at 22:38

if you go from Lulea to Gothenburg whit and need go beck by trin you fisicly can not hav fun whit girls
----

apos;'
[image]
27.05.2009 - 22:42
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Bad English on 27.05.2009 at 22:40

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 27.05.2009 at 22:38

if you go from Lulea to Gothenburg whit and need go beck by trin you fisicly can not hav fun whit girls

If you go to Stockholm from Norrköping and got a place to stay, then you can.

Too bad she got too drunk that one time. she puked and shit so she got thrown out and had to go home. So there was no fun with girls that time. Just almost.
----