01. Venator
02. From Scythe To Sceptre
03. Outlive The Hand
04. Sun's Delusion
05. Held In Hollows
06. Husks
07. Aspect
08. Countless Skies

After hearing and reviewing the first offering of Melodic Death Metal from Australia's Be'lakor I found it to be a rather promising debut. The promise wasn't misplaced either as the band have backed themselves up rather nicely with this new album entitled Stone's Reach. While their previous release The Frail Tide was good, the new album is cleaner production-wise and I think a deeper piece of work as well.

Stone's Reach actually begins surprisingly softly. Ambience with soft cymbal taps and soothing guitar notes lull the listener into going along with something soft and simple. Not before too long however heavy guitars and harsh growls take over. The introduction to this first song however is perhaps an indication that while this is Melodic Death Metal, it's somehow a work of dark beauty. Stone's Reach is filled with examples of clever changes of pace, mournful solo-esque guitar work and extraordinary melodies; all of this coming from an album which is of a type of Death Metal.

It's one thing to write a good piece of music though, it can all fall apart if it isn't executed properly. Well Be'lakor has shone through in that department as well. The drumming is as technical as it needs to be and the guitar work contains the right amount of heaviness for each scenario in each song while being all the time well performed. The keyboards/ambience and piano of Steven Merry is applied better this time around. It adds that extra layer to the songs when it entwines with them. The harsh guttural growled vocals could fit in with Brutal Death Metal music but yet they don't seem out of place here either. The song (or rather opus) "Countless Skies" exemplifies all the good parts of Stone's Reach. It starts slowly with a brilliant and deep guitar riff (which later features as a kind of solo) and just builds up with ambience and technical piano work. Launching with double bass drumming and fast guitar work doesn't detract from the splendour this song seems to contain. This song would have to be my favourite on Stone's Reach which is handy as it concludes the album leaving good thoughts of the album.

Stone's Reach isn't as much a good piece of Melodic Death Metal as it is a piece of art. Despite the music feeling very much this way, the cover art, back cover and booklet imagery is all a good representation of this work. Be'lakor have created a piece of dark and delightfully melodic Death Metal that you won't want to pass up the chance to hear.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Raiden | 02.10.2009

Guest review by
Njord
Rating:
When I listened to this album for the first time my first thought was "this is clearly melodic death, but there's something about it", something that marks the line between another copy and a new way of design from the same prototype. Despite the guitars following Gothenburg death metal, one innovation of this band is the demarcation of that style because there's no chorus/verse imposed law, there's no fear of falling into doom or entering solos at low speed. It's very important to be creative inside the musical genres and this Australian group achieve it in a brilliant way.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2009 | Comments (9)

Comments

Comments: 42   Visited by: 526 users
02.10.2009 - 11:05
Rating: 9
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Favorite album of 2009 thus far, and I don't see my opinion changing any time soon.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.10.2009 - 23:05
3dd
Brilliant album, one of the best of the year. "Aspect" is my favorite track.
02.10.2009 - 23:12
flamey
Nice review, I'll check this out then.
03.10.2009 - 01:28
Rating: 10
MetalSpider
This is a great album by an underrated band! These guys are really good!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
03.10.2009 - 01:39
Rating: 8
Dominus
The Shooter
Great Album
03.10.2009 - 01:59
Devilspeed
I'm a little embarrassed to say that I had never heard of Be'lakor until a couple weeks ago. Had listened to 'Sun's Delusion' on their myspace page and it really impressed me. So, after hearing a lot and reading much about it, I decided to order. Maybe it was my low expectations but the entire album fucking blew me away. I must have played it 3-4 times straight. Much better than their debut, which I immediately looked into after 'Stone's Reach'. I've listened to a lot of good shit this year but Persefone's 'Shin-Ken' and this are by far what have stood out the most for me.
03.10.2009 - 02:09
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Very good album, bit of a mix between insomnium/opeth/amon amarth (their good bits). Pity the album doesnt get the recognition it deserves due to a bunch of fucktards giving it a 1/10 just for the sake of getting THEIR favourite bands placed higher in the year's rankings. Very childish....but anyway enough ranting, awesome album, refreshing and one of the best melodic death albums of the year.
03.10.2009 - 02:23
Kinzoku
Amazing. Got their debut album after listening to this 4 or 5 times straight and was just as impressed. Best of 2009 so far.
03.10.2009 - 03:24
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Good review. I like the last line, I think it reflects the album well. "dark and delightfully melodic"
04.10.2009 - 14:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Okay album, played well and all but nothing spectacular about it. Problem is they play a style that has been done to death and it is impossible for them to stand out and grow above the melodic death metal masses.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.10.2009 - 07:20
Rating: 7
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Had to check this one out after all the talk, and two positive reviews... but while I find it a good listen from start to end, no bad points, good musicianship, I really don't see what all the excitement is about. Outside of some offbeat arrangements, I've heard most all the ideas before, and don't find the vocals so unique. They have some potential to break the mold, but I just am not seeing it yet.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
08.10.2009 - 19:31
FOOCK Nam
Very brilliant, they use instrumentals, specially, piano or keyboard better than some band I know like Eternal Tears Of Sorrow. Excellent music
11.10.2009 - 02:25
Janne
Hugin
Which one is the best song on the album?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
11.10.2009 - 08:03
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
In my opinion it's "Countless Skies".
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
11.10.2009 - 12:15
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Yeah, I would also say "Countless Skies", that song is just awesome!
13.10.2009 - 04:06
Morphis
I also liked this album one of my favorites of this year.

Hard to choose the best song "Countless Skies" is definitely a very good one, such is "From Scythe To Sceptre".
This album as no bad/boring song for me, very good alignment.
14.10.2009 - 02:07
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I love this album, ive never been big on most melo death bands (such as Amon Amarth, who i find terrible). There are ones i like though, just not alot.
I think ive found my favourite. The melody in this band is an incredible journey, its so relaxing to the ears! The vocals are very like Amon Amarth, and i wont say i find them amazing for my personal tastes, but the music as a whole blends them in nicely.

I really love Sun's Delusion as a favourite.
14.10.2009 - 18:39
warrior_of_ice
This album is a tough rival for Insomnium's "Across The Dark" for my fav. album of the year
14.10.2009 - 21:44
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Brutal Death vocals in the line of Cannibal Corpse suck, can't stand it...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
21.10.2009 - 20:35
A brillant piece of work here - an album that clearly stands out among the sea of bland in the metal world over the past year or so. The arrangements, vocals and overall production are simply outstanding - enough to bring me out of the ether void and actually register on this site to state this is one of the best albums start to finish I have heard in a very long time - and I go back to the early days of NWOBHM. A ten out of ten for me and I hope these guys get some recognition - they clearly have done their homework here and deserve it - plain and simple. I appreciate albums that have pushed the artists - like SepticFlesh "Communion" for example. Anyways my two cents...
03.11.2009 - 02:16
hobaleo
Account deleted
Perfect album.
03.11.2009 - 09:24
-N-
One of the best album of 2009!!!!
"From Scythe To Sceptre" is my favorite track.
14.11.2009 - 06:19
Rating: 7
Though I've only listened to the entire album once over, I find it to be extremely well-written and composed. Definitely in my top ten favorite releases for 2009, but probably not in my favorite top three. Still, I highly recommend it.

Also, the reviewer states:

"Stone's Reach isn't as much a good piece of Melodic Death Metal as it is a piece of art."

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that all metal is art.
09.12.2009 - 20:20
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
This album truly embraces the beauty of dark atmospheres, kind of reminds me the atmosphere of Lord of the Rings
10.12.2009 - 09:29
warrior_of_ice
Album never gets boring
10.12.2009 - 09:35
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I like the Album, but it didn't seem to stick. Musically it's great, but it just hasn't intrigued me as much as other albums this year have. 8.5
----
Brujerizmo!
11.12.2009 - 00:56
ROMIL
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gib_AWX0HPA
26.12.2009 - 12:44
Panterica
Wow, I started with Countless Skies, it's such a great song.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
01.03.2010 - 07:53
Rozz
I prefer my finnish melodeth, and im aussie , ok album
06.03.2010 - 18:57
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Great review... this album is very good. these guys look to have a lot potential...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!

Hits total: 23156 | This month: 36