Metal Storm logo
Metal fans unlike other music fans

20.10.2009 - 04:30
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Metal fans, in contrast to fans of other styles of music, seem to be the most serious and devoted to the genre. I see that metal music is very versatile and can invoke a variety of emotions combined with creative technicalities that end up having a very profound effect upon the listener. What are your thoughts?
20.10.2009 - 04:42
tulkas
el parcero
I guess to some extent it is true that metal fans remain more "true" to their musical taste and follow it most of their lives, but it also depends mostly on the person.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
20.10.2009 - 05:09
Hexenmeister
I think it's simply due to the fact that metal is not mainstream. In most countries, you can't just turn on the radio and hear metal bands or walk into any music store and find metal CDs. You have to do your own research to learn about bands and seek out their music.

This means that metal fans, by default, are required to be more invested in their music.
20.10.2009 - 05:13
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Written by Hexenmeister on 20.10.2009 at 05:09

I think it's simply due to the fact that metal is not mainstream. In most countries, you can't just turn on the radio and hear metal bands or walk into any music store and find metal CDs. You have to do your own research to learn about bands and seek out their music.

This means that metal fans, by default, are required to be more invested in their music.

Yes, I agree. There is a great deal of personal investment by seeking out the bands that aren't easily accessible. from there its like you open a pandoras box.
20.10.2009 - 06:00
GamlaSonn
These threads about how metal fans are different from others are stupid imo
20.10.2009 - 06:47
FOOCK Nam
Well, no negative too much criticism from me, I only think like if a music fan is extremely into and infatuated love dance music...and you know what, there more subgenre in dance or techno music than metal atm, if you search in music.download.com , and well a lot of metalheads who are not devoted to much on metal exploration.
20.10.2009 - 18:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
No we are not differen compared to RnB, Rap, Techno, House, Drum And Bass, Americana, Blues, Jazz, Classical music fans. They are as much into their music as we are into ours.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2009 - 23:16
soadbyob
Account deleted
I agree with Hexenmeister, to be a devoted metalhead you have to search to find the music, you cant just turn on some radio like a little bitch
21.10.2009 - 05:44
Culty
We are a bit different actually... stronger necks.
----
Gfnttlr
21.10.2009 - 05:57
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 20.10.2009 at 04:30

Metal fans, in contrast to fans of other styles of music, seem to be the most serious and devoted to the genre. I see that metal music is very versatile and can invoke a variety of emotions combined with creative technicalities that end up having a very profound effect upon the listener. What are your thoughts?

Please, please, please!; go and learn about other styles of music before making comments like that!
----
(space for rent)
21.10.2009 - 07:12
bard
There are a lot, a LOT of metalheads that would never bother to dig too deep into the genre's history or undergound, and are content with whatever sounds energetic, angsty, and easily approachable. There are also of course very devoted fans of the genre in it's entirety, but this dichotomy probably exists in every music genre.
----
21.10.2009 - 19:22
soadbyob
Account deleted
Its because metal is a lifestyle, not just music
23.10.2009 - 04:43
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
No really, I haven't seen anyone into any other style thats as diehard as true metal fans is all im saying. im not embarrassed nor feel ignorant for saying so. deal with it.
23.10.2009 - 08:55
Charly546
That would mean metal is somehow different from other music.

It isn't. It's just another genre.
23.10.2009 - 09:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Metal fans think they are different than fans of other musical genres because they desperately want to believe they are somehow superior to fans of other musical genres.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.10.2009 - 10:59
bard
Written by Guest on 23.10.2009 at 04:43

No really, I haven't seen anyone into any other style thats as diehard as true metal fans is all im saying. im not embarrassed nor feel ignorant for saying so. deal with it.

Just for the sake of good discussion...I live with hardcore fans of 'true rap', and I can say from firsthand experience that fans of other genres of music can have the same zeal and devotion to their music as metal fans do. While metal can be a lifestyle to some, my roommate would definitely consider rap to be his lifestyle. That's all he's about, and that's what he debates with his friends about most of the time. The same is true for fans of oldschool punk music, or truly independent college rock, or any other actual fans of music I've met. We're not the only ones that have to do our homework to follow our tastes, is what I'm saying.
----
23.10.2009 - 11:11
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 23.10.2009 at 09:24

Metal fans think they are different than fans of other musical genres because they desperately want to believe they are somehow superior to fans of other musical genres.
sadly in reality, pop fans can do equally crazy stuff if not crazier... People should watch those random documentaries. Me and my gf watched one of Britney and the fans in the documentary sound totally deranged lol (just like some metal fans I'm sure)
----
loves 小巫
23.10.2009 - 11:21
GamlaSonn

HAHAHAAHHAHAHAH
23.10.2009 - 11:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Metal fans are different - I'm unaware of any other music genre where the fans partake in ostentatious discussions about themselves being different...like the topic at hand.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.10.2009 - 18:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Doc G. on 23.10.2009 at 11:35

Metal fans are different - I'm unaware of any other music genre where the fans partake in ostentatious discussions about themselves being different...like the topic at hand.

i'm sure if you trolled INDIEROCKSTORM or PUNK-ANUS they'd be equally self congratulatory/mastubatory. if anything, i think the indie rock guys (think Jack Black's character in High Fidelity) are the worst... i used to loathe going to the local indy record store because of them.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.10.2009 - 19:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by bard on 21.10.2009 at 07:12

There are a lot, a LOT of metalheads that would never bother to dig too deep into the genre's history or undergound, and are content with whatever sounds energetic, angsty, and easily approachable. There are also of course very devoted fans of the genre in it's entirety, but this dichotomy probably exists in every music genre.

Thank you for saying what I was thinking... But way better than what I could have written
I totally agree with you. We're not different from the others.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.10.2009 - 19:41
Elio
Red Nightmare
Seriously, who isn't bored of this shit about metalheads being the best people?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.10.2009 - 20:13
Jonnz of Steel
Written by Elio on 23.10.2009 at 19:41

Seriously, who isn't bored of this shit about metalheads being the best people?

I'm not bored of it, it's highly entertaining and a nice boost to my ego to read about how much better I am than the rest of the world, who are beneath me because I like heavy metal.
24.10.2009 - 23:28
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
You can stop wasting your time, Elio
----
loves 小巫
25.10.2009 - 05:39
jollygreen
I believe that people who listen to metal are more involved with the music personally. Almost everyone of you have some instrument that can be used in some type of metal and your were more than likely inspired by metal to play it. Matter of fact almost any instrument can be used in metal. People who listen to what may be called more mainstream like pop or rap are not usually gonna own a synthesizer or feel the need to learn a musical instrument to play their favorite repetitive beats. Granted that rap is more revolved on the lyrics and thats fine and dandy. The fans are more instrumentally involved which means they put in alot more personal time into metal music. Its all about the relation to your life and how you can incorpirate it besides just listening.
25.10.2009 - 18:50
IronAngel
I think it's quite normal and healthy to feel good about oneself. A bit of self-deception can do wonders!

That said: Marcel, Dane and OldBitterCraig (and Jonnz, I guess!) said everyting I wanted to say, and were quite correct. A bit of hubris and narcissism is good, but seriously - get a grip, and look outside the window for once.
30.10.2009 - 17:01
Umideath
Because metal is different from other music & not just music
----
My Top 90 Metal Albums Of 2023 - Part 2 >> https://youtu.be/6Yi7zV9Xo58 - Part 1
https://youtu.be/8F0E_CAfmMM
30.10.2009 - 17:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by jollygreen on 25.10.2009 at 05:39

Almost everyone of you have some instrument that can be used in some type of metal and your were more than likely inspired by metal to play it.

What a weird statement this is. Most people that are totally into metal and are totally devoted to it don't play an instrument at all. Most die hard metallers I know have never touched an instrument in their lives.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.10.2009 - 17:37
-Soulreaper-
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.10.2009 at 17:06

Almost everyone of you have some instrument that can be used in some type of metal and your were more than likely inspired by metal to play it.

What a weird statement this is. Most people that are totally into metal and are totally devoted to it don't play an instrument at all. Most die hard metallers I know have never touched an instrument in their lives.

It's the opposite for me. Most people I know or have met that are really into metal play an instrument (or lie about it).
30.10.2009 - 17:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by -Soulreaper- on 30.10.2009 at 17:37

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.10.2009 at 17:06

It's the opposite for me. Most people I know or have met that are really into metal play an instrument (or lie about it).

Maybe at most 45% of all metalheads play an instrument then I think.
But to state that almost all metallers play one (like the girl I quoted said) is of course an overexaggeration.

Imo less metallers play an instrument than that rapfans rap.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996