08. Thorns Of Weakness
09. Salvia Divinorum
10. The Prologue Of Completion
11. Shreds Of Remains

(Progressive) Technical Death metal
Recorded: DB Recording Studios, Slovenia / Grindhouse Studio, Greece 2007
Label: Lacerated Enemy Records
Total Running Time: 42:45

If there's one thing you learn pretty damn fast in the exiting world of reviewing, it is to never trust a press sheet. Cerebrum is advertised as "the new hope of technical death metal". For a minute there I was worried Necrophagist's recording studio has been bombed, or that all members of Atheist, Pestilence and Obscura are diagnosed with a mysterious and incurable disease after opening the sealed tomb of a pharaoh on their last Egyptian tour. While such sloganesque statements might work for politicians running for president, Cerebrum don't yet have that kind of standing and charisma to sell their debut as the new best thing on the tech death market.

By that I didn't mean this is a bad debut, because it's not. Sure Spectral Extravagance might seem nothing quite world-shattering, but it's nothing ridiculously atrocious either. It's just that I keep having a hard time getting my head around this album. Almost like these guys thought it was expected from them - being a tech death band by the name of Cerebrum - to come up with such mind dazzling material. Varying from the usual, that's what's going on with Cerebrum. Almost like their intention is putting back the prog in technical death metal and the tech back in progressive death metal. For one, Cerebrum are adding an almost unhealthy portion of technicality into their sound, which totally ruins the aim of creating something memorable. As a matter of fact, the rapid and unpredictable tempo changes become mind numbing. To boot the sound a bit, technical wizardry gets melted with an almost proggy groove. Though at the same time, unnecessary parts are stretching out the perceived length of the songs. That's Spectral Extravagance for you in a nutshell.

Listening to Cerebrum is like ordering piquant Chinese food; it tastes good for a while but you never manage to get through the whole dish by yourself. And yet, the Spectral Extravagance story is one you approve or don't. Like a street with an end, listening to one song equals more or less listening to the entire album; there aren't that many attractive passages on this road. For most people, the biggest persuasive argument to give the whole Cerebrum thing a go will probably be the namedropping of the session drummer. This is where George Kollias (of Nile fame) comes into the picture. Just a kind turn for his fellow countrymen, or yet another clever marketing trick by appealing on a well-established guest musician who practically sells himself - or both - who knows?

Cerebrum's debut is fairly innovative next to organized and sophisticated. And yet, the whole idea still doesn't really float my boat. I blame the lack of a healthy dash of balance. Perhaps the immortal Yogi Berra (the Major League Baseball catcher, not the cartoon character) said it best: "You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going. You just might not get there." Now, I'm not exactly sure what it means either, but I do like the sound of it.

Written by Thryce | 05.12.2009

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 86 users
06.12.2009 - 19:28
Rupert

Good review, I think I know exactly what you mean. And given that, I feel like I should be steering away from this, but I'm now more intrigued!

Hits total: 4841 | This month: 2