Metal Storm logo
Within Temptation

02.08.2006 - 19:20
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
There was no topic about this great Dutch band, so, here it is.

I love this band, I have the 3 albums and love them, specially "Mother Earth" and "The Silent Force" , the lyrical content, the music itself and the beautiful Sharon's voice make this band unique. Now I'm looking forward to get last DVD.

So, welcome to the thread!
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
02.08.2006 - 20:02
O Sinistron
Hopeless Sinner
Does anybody Knows if they're up to make an South America, or an World, Tour?
----
Last.fm
02.08.2006 - 20:34
Bitch Boy
A great band. I love their musical progression. The first albums were ok, but "The Silent Force" is excellent. Sharon's voice is beautiful, but not as beautiful as Floor Jansen's.

I would like them to come in this year's Live n Louder, but they aren't even considered...
02.08.2006 - 20:41
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
The only time I enjoyed them, was live. Other than that, I think they are boring.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.08.2006 - 20:51
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by Bitch Boy on 02.08.2006 at 20:34

A great band. I love their musical progression. The first albums were ok, but "The Silent Force" is excellent. Sharon's voice is beautiful, but not as beautiful as Floor Jansen's.

You 're the only one who says that "The Silent Force" is an excellent album, besides me, everybody says that this is a bad album, really commercial, nothing special, but well, I'm glad that now we're 2 who think the same. Excellent album. Which are your favorite songs?
----

Sensorium - Epica
02.08.2006 - 20:55
Bitch Boy
I don't care if TSF is commercial or not, I think it has a very good production and sound. My fav songs are Jillian (actually for me this is WT's best, along with Enter), Forsaken and Aquarius.

Which are yours?
02.08.2006 - 21:03
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Hehee I'm gonna see them at Ankkarock next weekend
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
02.08.2006 - 21:04
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
My favorite ones are: "See Who I Am", "Jillian", "Stand My Ground", "Forsaken", "It's The Fear" and "The Swan Song" (Bonus Track)
----

Sensorium - Epica
02.08.2006 - 21:05
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by heresiarch on 02.08.2006 at 21:03

I envy you so much... in a good way of course
----

Sensorium - Epica
03.08.2006 - 01:30
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I was a very big fan of WT a few years ago. I was pretty much obsessed with them I couldn't decide which I liked better between Mother Earth or Enter (since they're very different) but in my heart The Dance reigned surpreme (it's still one of my favourite EP's in metal). When the Silent Force came out I felt really let down, that they seemed to care for the money more than the music. Now I still enjoy Enter, etc, from time to time but can't get as excited about them as I used to. I know it's silly but it's how I feel

I do think they're great live, though. I have the Mother Earth Tour DVD and would just DIE to get the new DVD but it's not released in the States nor is it even made for my region! Even though I'm not a very dedicated fan any longer I would go to great lengths to see them live if they toured N. America.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
03.08.2006 - 02:10
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
My favorite is Mother Earth (also the title song) i really enjoy that album, silent force is good, but no the best...
03.08.2006 - 03:22
Daru Jericho
I was actually watching a bonus live disc that came with my Silent Force album and the band certainly seem better live than on disc. For a start, Sharon Den Adel's vocals are much stronger and don't sound as weak as on disc. The Silent Force is just too average an album to be considered good or special in anyway. Their older stuff was much better. Songs like 'Ice Queen' and 'Morther Earth' are dramatic and good.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

03.08.2006 - 06:36
Alouqua
Account deleted
I don't know why, at the beginning I like this band but now i can't stand Sharon voice... is something really weird because she is kind of sweet but well I guess is normal, is not the first time that happen to me. I discover some other female singers that I like more
About their albums... i just have heard some songs, i don't have a complete album...
What i really like of this band is the videos! they make good metal videos!
03.08.2006 - 14:48
LeDruide
Written by The Alchemist on 02.08.2006 at 20:51

You 're the only one who says that "The Silent Force" is an excellent album, besides me, everybody says that this is a bad album, really commercial, nothing special, but well, I'm glad that now we're 2 who think the same. Excellent album. Which are your favorite songs?

Now we are 3
I like this album very much, though I can understand people saying it's commercial, with songs like 'See Who I Am' which I enjoy listening to. On this album, I also like 'Jillian' and 'Angels'. 'Stand My Ground' is meant to be the hit of the album but I don't think it is. Nice song anyway.
About the shows, I have The Silent Force Tour and it's really a great gig. I just don't like all the Sharon's dresses, but this is not the main point.
03.08.2006 - 15:43
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by The Alchemist on 02.08.2006 at 20:51

I think I'll join the club of people that think 'The Silent Force' is great. It contains my all time favorite WT track 'Aquarius'. I don't find it commercial or 'popish'
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
03.08.2006 - 22:12
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Yes, if there are already some persons who think that "The Silent Force" is a good album, it means that it isn't a bad album.
I agree with the fact that the band changed very much with "The Silent Force" but they don't sound really commercial. I think that their gothic sound is gone, and now they have a dutch sound, at least this is my feeling when I hear this album.
----

Sensorium - Epica
05.08.2006 - 03:13
Bitch Boy
MS describes WT's new sound as Symphonic Metal (without being gothic), and I think it's an accurated description to the style of TSF.

I'm glad to see that some people consider TSF a great album too.
05.08.2006 - 13:01
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Yeah 'symphonic' is probably the best way to describe the new sound...it's not 'gothic' that's for sure
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
05.08.2006 - 16:31
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Written by heresiarch on 02.08.2006 at 21:03

My mistake they've cancelled the concert and I wasn't awared of it aahh big disappointment
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
05.08.2006 - 16:31
O Sinistron
Hopeless Sinner
I Think they're so gothic today as they had ever been, it means Few!
To me the band was always more Power or more symphonic, but I Think they still keep their little "gothicity"!
And abaout the last CD it's just amazing! Even compared to the other 2!

The 3 WT Albums are diferent, they're never the same, and in my opinion, still very good!
Songs such as 'It's The Fear', 'Memories' and 'Jane Doe' I consider excellent, I Don't Like Much, Stand My Ground!
And The song 'Running Up That Hill' Is also great!

PS: Listening to 'Within Temptation - Dark Wings' in Metal Storm Radio (Requested by Me)!
----
Last.fm
05.08.2006 - 20:41
Bitch Boy
@ O Sinistron: The EP's and singles are also good. "Running up that hill" is a very good song and I love the video.
05.08.2006 - 21:48
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Don't forget WT's EP "The Dance"!! Just because they released it before they were as famous doesn't mean it's not worth a listen. One of the greatest EP's ever released in melodic metal IMO
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
05.08.2006 - 22:31
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Mather Earth is great, but "The Silent Force" sound like Evanescence xD, Kyrinan you are right, The Dance is great, one of the best EP's ever.
----
06.08.2006 - 09:21
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I really like these guys,I like quite a bit of their songs,but the more I listen to their newer stuff, I realize that at least to me its becoming a bit more mainstream. Dont get me wrong they are quite enjoyable to listen to. I enjoy Sharon den Adel's voice very much.
08.08.2006 - 22:28
RazorbladeMiss
Account deleted
Do some people not like The Silent Force simply because it's a "more commericial" sound, or because they actually don't like the sound of more commercial music? You hear about bands "selling out" all the time, but I don't think this applies so much to WT - symphonic metal always has a really polished sound - the more epic you get, the bigger the sound (e.g. using orchestras), the less 'metal' it can sound (Nightwish's "Sleeping Sun" is a good example of this - you take away their 'metal' sound and you're left with, essentially, pop). What I'm getting at is I think WT were always headed in this direction; they always had a softer side. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but it all depends on what kind of music you like.

I have to say I found WT a bit disappointing live though, especially compared to simillar bands. Sharon seemed to lack charisma - and what the hell is up with that dancing?! It's like "quick, duck - alien quasar attack!"
09.08.2006 - 01:16
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Guest on 08.08.2006 at 22:28

Do some people not like The Silent Force simply because it's a "more commericial" sound, or because they actually don't like the sound of more commercial music?

I don't like The Silent Force because I actually don't like the sound of it. Nearly all the songs are generic, radio-friendly, and boring (imo of course). You can get music like that ANYWHERE, and from Within Temptation I expected much better than average. I know there are a few good songs but even those feel a bit forced; not as geniune or inspired as their previous releases.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
15.08.2006 - 22:01
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
I would describe this band as enjoyable yet never as memorable. It would be mainly because of Sharon's voice which is very soft and charming. Now, instrumentally speaking I see no greatness in this band; the guitarist seems to be jamming at the guitar most of the time instead of looking for making a good guitar riff (at least from the songs I have heard).
----
Christless
15.08.2006 - 23:51
RavenLord
A pretty good Dutch band, but not a touch on Epica or After Forever. Obviously, the best thing about them are the keyboards and Sharon's voice. The metal part of their sound is not incredibly defined, but if you just want good music, Silent Force is an excellent album, albeit with some annoying filller (Pale, Memories). It's not very heavy or very deep, but good to listen to, moreso than most pop metal spewed by the metalcore scene, among others. Also, their cover of 'Running up that Hill' is beautiful, and really catchy. I think Mother Earth is better than Silent Force, although I've only heard a few songs from that (Neverending Story and Our Farewell being good examples of ballads that are far better than the soft songs on SF). Still, I would go and see them live, if it didn't involve too much travelling, or if they were playing at a festival that I wanted to go to.
----
18.08.2006 - 13:04
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
A very boring band in my opinion, they fail to keep me interested due to their monotonous sound they provide and the whole 'beauty and the beast' idea is overused if anything... also, their sound is far too commercial now, so I fail to see me listening and ejoying them in the future...
19.08.2006 - 01:37
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Guest on 18.08.2006 at 13:04

A very boring band in my opinion, they fail to keep me interested due to their monotonous sound they provide and the whole 'beauty and the beast' idea is overused if anything... also, their sound is far too commercial now, so I fail to see me listening and ejoying them in the future...

Within Temptation hasn't done "beauty and the beast" style singing since 1998.

I agree with you 100% that they are "far too commercial now" and that they have become "a very boring band" with makes me sad since they used to be good
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"