Metal Storm logo
Extreme Doom metal

19.03.2010 - 02:51
whatsacow
I'm relatively knew to the genre and have just gotten into it through bands like Esoteric, Shape of Despaor and Swallow the sun.
I would like to get further into this genre and reccomendations would be much appreciated.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
19.03.2010 - 03:05
ß
Problem?
Written by whatsacow on 19.03.2010 at 02:51

I'm relatively knew to the genre and have just gotten into it through bands like Esoteric, Shape of Despaor and Swallow the sun.
I would like to get further into this genre and reccomendations would be much appreciated.

Try this here http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=411
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
19.03.2010 - 03:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yarp, you want the funeral doom thread which, illogically, is in the melodic metal forum and the drone thread (further down from this post on this forum).

Meanwhile, check out Burning Witch, Khanate, Asunder, Evoken, Catacombs, Hyatari, Hjarnidaudi etc.
19.03.2010 - 06:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
My immediate suggestion is simply to check out the MS 2009 awards - extreme doom category, and using our archive system, do likewise with prior years.

some suggestions of mine:

Ahab - either of their albums are fucking brilliant.
Profetus - Coronation of the Black Sun ('09)
Colosseum - II - Numquam was the Staff ED pick this year, as with Ahab, their first album is great as well.
Process Of Guilt - Erosion ('09) (won staff "regular" doom, but sort of straddles the line for me, def extreme vocals)
Skepticism - Alloy ('08)
Norrt - Gudsforladt

and send Marcel a pm. he'll bombard you with more extreme doom than your pathetic, wretched soul will be able to withstand.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.03.2010 - 19:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Please never ever call Swallow The Sun extreme doom again hahaha

Just goign through my collection at a glance I came across the following for you, besides the bands mentioned earlier:

Winter
Coffins
Graves At Sea
dot (.)
Mournful Congregation
Wreck Of The Hesperus
Moss
Atavist
Thorr's Hammer
Horus
Ataraxie
Imindain
Bethlehem (though a mix of black and doom)
Otesanek
Persistence In Mourning
The Funeral Orchestra
Runemagick
Corrupted
Acid Witch (though almost more death metal)
Hooded Menace
Zoraster
Highgate
Aldebaran
Volition
Unearthly Trance
Bunkur
DoomThrone
Funeralium
Stabat Mater
Amen Ra
The Arm And Sword Of A Bastard God
Comatose Vigil
Grudge
Anatomia
Deinonychus
Fleshpress
Dolorian
Forgotten Tomb
Earth
The Ethereal
Loss
Longing For Dawn
Monolithe
Indesinence
When The Deadbolt Breaks
Rote Mare (some of the stuff is extreme doom)
Mourning Dawn
Insanity Reigns Supreme
Paganus
Depresed Mode (first one)
Faal
Despond
Thergethon
Unholy
Ophis
Beyond Black Void
Sol (first one)
The Knell
The Angelic Process (not sure if it doom but imo it does fit in here)
Until Death Overtakes Me
Umbra Nihil
Disembowelment
Fatum Elisum (borderline extreme)
Nadja
Night Of Suicide
Eight Hands Of Kali
Doom: Vs (borderline extreme)
Castle
Spina Bifida
Grieving Age (borderline extreme)
Orthodox
Arcana Coelestia
Urna
Torture Wheel
Wraith Of The Ropes
Rigor Sardonicous
Night Must Fall
Black Shape Of Nexus (aka B.Son)
Culted
The Austrasian Goat
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2010 - 19:39
ß
Problem?
Here are some other bands worth checking out

Persistence In Mourning
Intaglio
Auaesuve
Funerary Dirge
Reido
Towards Darkness
Longing for Dawn
Wijlen Wij
Solarfall
Nivathe/Senthil
Urna
Ea
Comatose Vigil
Во Скорбях (Vo Skorbyah)
Откровения Дождя (Otkroveniya Dozhdya)
Ankhagram
Autumnia
Abstract Spirit
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
23.03.2010 - 04:16
whatsacow
Written by BitterCOld on 19.03.2010 at 06:04

and send Marcel a pm. he'll bombard you with more extreme doom than your pathetic, wretched soul will be able to withstand.

wow. that wasn't an understatement.
thanks for the suggestions. i think i have enough to get me through for a while.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
23.03.2010 - 05:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by whatsacow on 23.03.2010 at 04:16

thanks for the suggestions. i think i have enough to get me through for a while.

he's a doom pusher.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.03.2010 - 05:07
whatsacow
Written by BitterCOld on 23.03.2010 at 05:01

Written by whatsacow on 23.03.2010 at 04:16

he's a doom pusher.

really? i hadn't noticed. theres only 80 or so bands listed. but they are awesome, so yeah.
----
23.03.2010 - 09:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Marcel's list say all, I read it and whit out deep thinking can not edd anything here, sohis list is best
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.03.2010 - 20:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I realize I did forget to mention Ea and Wijlen Wij but thankfully Brendan mentioned them.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.03.2010 - 05:46
spirit_inblack
harshhead
And just to add a few more, I'll say that Fungoid Stream, Zaraza, and Wormphlegm, 1000 Funerals (ehh, not that extreme sounding though), and Hierophant.
24.03.2010 - 16:29
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I seriously tried to think of a band that Marcel didn't mention, but I failed Leaving aside the fact that I have never heard most of these bands
24.03.2010 - 18:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by spirit_inblack on 24.03.2010 at 05:46

And just to add a few more, I'll say that Fungoid Stream, Zaraza, and Wormphlegm, 1000 Funerals (ehh, not that extreme sounding though), and Hierophant.

Wormphlegm are certainly worth it too. Forgot to mention them since I don't own their vinyl only release. And that one is impossible to get hold of now, anyways. Btw, I also forgot to mention Funeral Moth, good band. Never liked Fungoid Stream though. As for Hierophant, I consider that the same as Catacombs
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.03.2010 - 18:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Daniell on 24.03.2010 at 16:29

I seriously tried to think of a band that Marcel didn't mention, but I failed Leaving aside the fact that I have never heard most of these bands

I think Marcel didn mention band who' will form in in future, because seems he mention all important bands in genre and even whit doom-metal.com its almoust not possible tell who's missing 99% bandsd are here
----

apos;'
[image]
24.03.2010 - 20:35
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2010 at 18:44

Written by spirit_inblack on 24.03.2010 at 05:46

Wormphlegm are certainly worth it too. Forgot to mention them since I don't own their vinyl only release. And that one is impossible to get hold of now, anyways. Btw, I also forgot to mention Funeral Moth, good band. Never liked Fungoid Stream though. As for Hierophant, I consider that the same as Catacombs

Yeah, they're one in the same. And now that I think of it, may as well lump in P.H.O.B.O.S. as well. I'm definitely checking that Funeral Moth band too, since I usually love the more extreme Asian metal bands.
17.04.2010 - 13:00
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Nivathe - Enveloped In A Diseased Abyss (review right here.)

A side-project of 'Plague', one of the guys in Senthil. Nivathe offers a sickening mix of Black metal, Funeral Doomish tones, and bits and pieces of Noise and Ambient. It's all pretty... sick. Recommended.

EDIT: Btw Marcel should be banned for posting such a list. Give some descriptions, man.

Errrm.... I'll go suck my own dick a bit more and do some additional self-promotion. Here's an article I wrote a while ago, with some of my favourite 'sick' bands. Not all of it is Funeral/Extreme doom, but you should be able to find something to your liking there.

Article "Welcome To My Nightmare... (An Introduction To The Sick And Twisted)"
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.06.2010 - 09:57
Hi!
Doom metal became to my fav genres about one years ago or little more...
My favourites are (at the moment):
Novembre
Autumnal
The Howling Void
(Check them, all of these three are very special, unique and genious imo!)
Anathema
(momently just) old My Dying Bride, Katatonia's Brave... (I don't know many of their albums yet)

Oh, and of course Opeth and Amorphis, if we say they've got place at here... But I think both's earlier works were progressive doom/death metal albums. (If we take them into a category, I think this's the right choose.)
21.06.2010 - 13:58
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I don't know the 3 bands you mention, but Anathema, My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Opeth and Amorphis can't really be called extreme doom mate. Opeth and Amorphis have never played doom at all. Amorphis's debut, "The Karelian Isthmus" is just a melodic take on Scandinavian death metal (as good as it is of course), while Opeth has always played a mix of death metal and progressive metal, with prog being the most prominent (at least in my humble opinion).
21.06.2010 - 14:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Daniell on 21.06.2010 at 13:58

I don't know the 3 bands you mention, but Anathema, My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Opeth and Amorphis can't really be called extreme doom mate. Opeth and Amorphis have never played doom at all. Amorphis's debut, "The Karelian Isthmus" is just a melodic take on Scandinavian death metal (as good as it is of course), while Opeth has always played a mix of death metal and progressive metal, with prog being the most prominent (at least in my humble opinion).

Same about Novembre its Italian vesrion about Opeth
----

apos;'
[image]
21.06.2010 - 17:17
Got Mayhem?
Um...trying really hard here to think of a band that hasn't been mentioned.

Tyranny

I'll add more if I can think of it but so far it looks like this has been covered pretty well. Also, why the hell do people think it necessary to mention Opeth for just about every rec thread? The day someone suggests them as a solid NWOBHM act is the day I die.
----
09.02.2011 - 12:41
JD
Account deleted
What is the best Extreme Doom album for 2010?
09.02.2011 - 12:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 09.02.2011 at 12:41

What is the best Extreme Doom album for 2010?

we will see on March 1
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.02.2011 - 13:06
IronAngel
I liked Fungoid Stream's Oceanus best, I think. I'm fairly sure it won't win the awards, but something just clicked with that album.

That said, the MS Awards nominees are all worth checking out. Ophis and Svart are especially great.
09.02.2011 - 13:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by IronAngel on 09.02.2011 at 13:06

I liked Fungoid Stream's Oceanus best, I think. I'm fairly sure it won't win the awards, but something just clicked with that album.

That said, the MS Awards nominees are all worth checking out. Ophis and Svart are especially great.

My favourite, though not too original, is Ophis, damn the intensity and that drumming and especially the production. Fungoid Stream is great too
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.02.2011 - 13:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.02.2011 at 13:09

Written by IronAngel on 09.02.2011 at 13:06

My favourite, though not too original, is Ophis, damn the intensity and that drumming and especially the production. Fungoid Stream is great too

Mine too
----

apos;'
[image]
09.02.2011 - 17:21
Luneth
Account deleted
I really like Swallow the Sun, Ahab and Shape of Despair so would recommend them.
09.02.2011 - 18:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I can see the huge fucking list that Marcel is going to post.

PS: Sorry my fella Luneth, but I don't see STS or SOD as being extreme at all. That's just me I guess. Shape Of Despair is still pretty damn good though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.02.2011 - 18:35
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.02.2011 at 18:31

I can see the huge fucking list that Marcel is going to post.

PS: Sorry my fella Luneth, but I don't see STS or SOD as being extreme at all. That's just me I guess. Shape Of Despair is still pretty damn good though.

Can't really say otherwise, I don't know too much about the genre, what defines extreme doom?
09.02.2011 - 18:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 09.02.2011 at 18:35

Can't really say otherwise, I don't know too much about the genre, what defines extreme doom?

Well, out of the three you mentioned I would say that Ahab is a bit more extreme. But that's why I love about Doom you know... the meaning of extreme is a bit blurry and since Doom is a genre heavily based on atmosphere... It depends if the atmosphere is extreme to you.

I personally see Ahabs debut to be quite extreme, I really felt the pressure of the ocean and the fearful beast that was the white whale... Not to mention that I can't swim very well and I'm a bit scared about drowning and stuff so I have deep respect for the ocean... So for me that album was a bit of a schock at first, in the good sense of the word.

I wouldn't see Shape Of Despair as extreme due to the extremely beautiful atmosphere (imo) that SOD creates, it's a sad one indeed but very pretty and elegant. I don't really like STS but they remains me to some My Dying Bride stuff and both bands seems to safe and not heavy to create a dangerous feeling of doom.

Probably that's the way I would put it: I don't feel the DOOM... That feeling when you know you have lost the battle that is life... I don't really feel it in those two bands for example, probably Shape Of Despair but they do it in a pretty way But bands like Catacombs, Esoteric, Ahab, Acid Bath, Bloody Panda, Dolorian, Early Katatonia, Khanate among others really make you feel tiny. But that's just me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.