Metal Storm logo
Do you like female vocalist in metal bands?

Original post

Posted by Paladin, 18.04.2010 - 01:12
I think it is not good.it is better that female vocalist sing in symphonic metal.not like arch enemy vocal in death.I think female vocalist cannot broadcast anger of metal.
30.08.2010 - 15:40
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 30.08.2010 at 15:28
Weird. The way she sings in Queen of Siam isn't that noticeable, it's pretty fine actually. On the newer albums, I'd say she's harsher than Angela.

Its not THAT noticeable no, but I still think Id prefer that album with a male vocalist. Her voice now definitely suits the music better, IMO. I wish I could do vocals like that without getting a sore throat. lol
30.08.2010 - 15:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Can't say I really see the issue with Angela's vocals, aside from the obvious fact it gets butchered in post-production. It's not like she sounds particularly effeminate anyway - "ooh she sounds so girly" - can't see anyone realistically thinking that. Besides, she sounds completely different live; far deeper.

For a second I thought you people were talking about Lydia Lunch when refering to the Queen of Siam album. Now she's a woman.
30.08.2010 - 15:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 30.08.2010 at 15:48

Can't say I really see the issue with Angela's vocals, aside from the obvious fact it gets butchered in post-production. It's not like she sounds particularly effeminate anyway - "ooh she sounds so girly" - can't see anyone realistically thinking that. Besides, she sounds completely different live; far deeper.

For a second I thought you people were talking about Lydia Lunch when refering to the Queen of Siam album. Now she's a woman.

I totally agree. The last couple of albums especially, have had a number of ocassions were overproduction leaves her voice sounding very processed. But thats a fault of the production, not her vocals. On Wages Of Sin, which had decent vocal production, she sounds great. And she is better live, Ive seen them twice, and been very impressed with her vocals both times. xD I also cant see how anyone could call her vocals in any way "effeminate"...

No... with a name like Lydia, I thought she must be a guy!
30.08.2010 - 15:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 30.08.2010 at 15:55

Written by Guest on 30.08.2010 at 15:48

I totally agree. The last couple of albums especially, have had a number of ocassions were overproduction leaves her voice sounding very processed. But thats a fault of the production, not her vocals. On Wages Of Sin, which had decent vocal production, she sounds great. And she is better live, Ive seen them twice, and been very impressed with her vocals both times. xD I also cant see how anyone could call her vocals in any way "effeminate"...

No... with a name like Lydia, she must be a guy!

Lofl, I meant in the expression sense "Now THAT'S a woman!" kind of thing. She was a bit of a hottie back in her day, and rather kinky too =P
30.08.2010 - 16:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 30.08.2010 at 15:58
Lofl, I meant in the expression sense "Now THAT'S a woman!" kind of thing. She was a bit of a hottie back in her day, and rather kinky too =P

I actually realised that was probably what you meant after I posted it. But I didnt bother editing it, cos I thought it was funny.
30.08.2010 - 16:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 30.08.2010 at 16:05

Written by Guest on 30.08.2010 at 15:58

I actually realised that was probably what you meant after I posted it. But I didnt bother editing it, cos I thought it was funny.

Yeah yeah, a likely story ;]
30.08.2010 - 16:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 30.08.2010 at 16:09

Hey, Its the truth, I did realise it before you said it. Though I guess Im still stupid for not knowing what you meant right away.
30.08.2010 - 16:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 30.08.2010 at 16:14

Written by Guest on 30.08.2010 at 16:09

Hey, Its the truth, I did realise it before you said it. Though I guess Im still stupid for not knowing what you meant right away.

Heheh, I'm just playing with you
30.08.2010 - 16:59
vezzy
Stallmanite
Watch the entendre there, Joe.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
30.08.2010 - 17:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 30.08.2010 at 16:59

Watch the entendre there, Joe.

I don't know what you could possibly mean...
30.08.2010 - 17:08
lilith
Written by RavenKing on 30.08.2010 at 14:19

Written by lilith on 30.08.2010 at 10:06

Avoiding a band just because they have a female vocalist is just as stupid(imo) as listening to a band because they're female fronted.

The reason is quite simple. I know my tastes very well, so I'm aware there's no chance I could enjoy a metal band if they use female vocals, unless it's impossible to hear that the vocalist is female.
Find it stupid or not, I don't care. My tastes are what they are.
And there are way too many female-fronted metal bands since a while. This trend is getting ridiculous.

Ok then, it just sounded like you have a problem with the gender . I agree with the last part, though. And about Angela, I could easily tell she's a female when I first heard Arch Enemy.
30.08.2010 - 17:11
vezzy
Stallmanite
I guess it becomes somewhat evident after a while, but it could always be the pitch of the shriek. Who knows?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
30.08.2010 - 17:21
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I hadn't been able to enjoy metal with a female vocalist... the first two albums of After Forever are close to be an exception
30.08.2010 - 19:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 30.08.2010 at 16:20
Heheh, I'm just playing with you

I had a feeling you were, the ";]" kinda gave it away, but I still wasnt totally sure... lol

@Angela: I think on later albums, there is slight signs it's a female singing. The screams, and shrieks especially, being a little more effeminate than on the earlier Arch Enemy albums with her on vocals. Though it doesnt happen nearly frequently enough to distract from the music. On Wages... especially, her vocals sounded very Jeff Walker influenced, which is no bad thing! xD
30.08.2010 - 22:41
lilith
My first AE album was Anthems of Rebelion and first I thought hey, a female growler, cool! But that was because I didn't know other female growlers. After listening to more music I didn't find her vocals to be such a big deal anymore. Plus, she's the main reason some people started listening to the band.
31.08.2010 - 00:54
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 30.08.2010 at 15:08

Written by Daniell on 30.08.2010 at 14:27
So, if a female vocalist tricked you into thinking that it's male vocals, you'd possibly even enjoy the band?
And when you knew the truth you'd stop enjoying the band??
It's a peculiar case of anti-feminism and misoginism...

I could be wrong here, but I think he means he could enjoy female vocals if they didnt sound female. I dont think he has a problem with the gender, just the female sounding voice along with metal music. I can hardly be accused of anti-feminism and mysoginism seeing as a I am female, and I dont like female vocals in metal music. There are rare exceptions like Angela Gossow, because her vocals are very male sounding, but generally, I dont think female voices suit metal imo.

Oh no, you're not wrong. It's a pure matter of vocals SOUNDING female or not. It has nothing to do with gender. I have nothing against women in metal, if they play guitar, bass or drums. It's just that vocals sounding female don't fit metal music, imo.
If a female vocalist sounds so much as a man you can't even guess it's a woman, I would not mind. And I would not stop listening to a band I like, only because I learned that the vocalist is female.
For example, there's a Hungarian Black Metal band named Tymah (Tuman). The vocalist is female but I have no problem with vocals from this band at all because she doesn't sound like a woman. I'm planning to get their albums sooner or later.

Those who see anti-feminism in my comments are completely mistaken and put my words out of context. My best friends in life are female, to tell the truth.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
31.08.2010 - 05:25
bkrownd
Written by lilith on 30.08.2010 at 22:41

My first AE album was Anthems of Rebelion and first I thought hey, a female growler, cool! But that was because I didn't know other female growlers. After listening to more music I didn't find her vocals to be such a big deal anymore. Plus, she's the main reason some people started listening to the band.

Angela isn't much of a "growler", though she does go a little low every now and then. (effects?) IMO, her voice is most effective when she's shrieking her head off like she's raging mad - it's very gripping. I never liked the death metal growly thing, and the fact that Angela doesn't barf-bark like a Cookie Monster wannabe is why I like the current Arch Enemy a lot.
20.09.2010 - 22:48
akvan
No i don't , nowise , because women's vocal is very very weak
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
21.09.2010 - 17:44
RobertNowhere
Robin Crosby from Fear of God is one of the greatest female vocalists in the history of metal, as far as im concerned...right up there with Ozzy Ozbourne, Robert Plant, Xasthur......
----
http://robertnowhere.blogspot.com
22.09.2010 - 22:18
Tanster
Yeah i dislike when females are Lead vocalist in bands, It just makes it super akward. They should stick to singing or playing instruments.
29.09.2010 - 00:59
Panterica
So far I haven't been able to find female vocalist which I really liked, can anyone give me some names (No Arch Enemy recommandations)?
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
29.09.2010 - 11:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Panterica on 29.09.2010 at 00:59

So far I haven't been able to find female vocalist which I really liked, can anyone give me some names (No Arch Enemy recommandations)?

Maybe try Mythic or Acrostichon or Fear Of God - Within The Veil.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.09.2010 - 17:05
whatsacow
I really love it in unexpect and diablo swing orchestra. and metallica
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
29.09.2010 - 17:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by whatsacow on 29.09.2010 at 17:05

and metallica

Yep, I also really like what Marianne Faithful does there
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.09.2010 - 01:46
bkrownd
Written by RobertNowhere on 21.09.2010 at 17:44

Robin Crosby from Fear of God is one of the greatest female vocalists in the history of metal, .....

Dawn Crosby.
30.09.2010 - 02:34
whatsacow
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.09.2010 at 17:21

Written by whatsacow on 29.09.2010 at 17:05

and metallica

Yep, I also really like what Marianne Faithful does there

nice.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
30.09.2010 - 03:36
ToxicZombie
Account deleted
In general, it's not a big deal. But I'm not a fan of the whole operatic style most women metal vocalists use.
30.09.2010 - 11:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by bkrownd on 30.09.2010 at 01:46

Written by RobertNowhere on 21.09.2010 at 17:44

Robin Crosby from Fear of God is one of the greatest female vocalists in the history of metal, .....

Dawn Crosby.

I hadn't noticed that post by RobertNowhere, but if I had I would have broken down and cried my eyes out
(see my sig)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.10.2010 - 03:46
bkrownd
First I heard of Dawn Crosby was "Holy War" on the Best of Metal Blade comp. Great song, and her husky vocals worked quite well on that mid-tempo thrashy track.

Hey, I just saw a bunch of Detente and Fear of God live video listed on YouTube. I'll have to check it out when I get home this evening....
01.10.2010 - 08:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by bkrownd on 01.10.2010 at 03:46

First I heard of Dawn Crosby was "Holy War" on the Best of Metal Blade comp. Great song, and her husky vocals worked quite well on that mid-tempo thrashy track.

Hey, I just saw a bunch of Detente and Fear of God live video listed on YouTube. I'll have to check it out when I get home this evening....

Detente has reincarnatd first with Ann Boleyn of Hellion on vocals and now Tiina Teal, so beware you get the proper ones with Dawn.
As for Fear Of God, there's also a crap Swiss grindcore band by that name.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996