Metal Storm logo
Dimmu Borgir - Album Title And Artwork Revealed

Dimmu Borgir have revealed the cover artwork and album title for their next effort, the follow-up to 2007's In Sorte Diaboli. The album will be called Abrahadabra. Its artwork was created by German artist Joachim Luetke (Kreator, Arch Enemy, Meshuggah) and was revealed step-by-step in 4 pieces during the last days. Abrahadabra will be released in Germany on September 24, in the rest of Europe on September 27, and in North America on October 12 via Nuclear Blast Records.

The word "abrahadabra" (which roughly translates into "I will create as I speak") first publicly appeared in Chapter III of Liber AL vel Legis (commonly referred to as "The Book of the Law") written by Aleister Crowley in Cairo, Egypt in 1904.

Dimmu Borgir singer/songwriter Shagrath shares the following about the new album: "After eleven months of total focus, dedication and professional team work, Darkness has been reborn. Some people have expressed their concern about the future of the band since the departure of some members of the clan. Let me assure you that things happen for a reason. The black flame burns brighter than ever before. With the mixture of our different musical preferences and the personalities involved, I will dare to say we have created a BEAST, the most detailed work to date out of our 17 years of existence. I know it's too much of a cliché to brag when you have a done a new album, but to put it short and simple, it's a fist in the face to all the doubters out there. Forward - Onward - March... Enter the supreme unknown."

For the second time in the band's career (i.e. 1996's Stormblåst), a one-word album title breaks the tradition of a three-word album title for a new studio release dating back to Dimmu Borgir's 1994 debut, For All Tid.

Guitarist/songwriter Silenoz has this to say on the topic: "We knew there would be some big changes with this album in more than one way and since we've had the three-word-title tradition for many years now, we thought it'd make a lot of sense for us to move on from that. It has served its purpose. We are a band that's all about change and moving forward. An album title consisting of one word goes hand-in-hand with the new material ? it describes both the musical and lyrical content in a more imaginary way, not to mention the unity and the everlasting flame which is Dimmu Borgir. Expect the unexpected!"

When asked about the central figure in the artwork and who/what he's supposed to represent, artist Joachim Luetke responds: "I think that's obvious. Since the whole "setting" is located in an icy, bleak, winter-y, post-industrial era, we're pretty close to H.P. Lovecraft's nameless elder gods. They're represented by the mask's tentacles. In short: the mask/face personifies dominion of powers far beyond mankind. The nameless gods witnessed the birth of our universe and they'll watch it implode. To them, the age of mankind is but a blink of an eye."

Source: dimmu-borgir.com
Band profile: Dimmu Borgir
Posted: 11.07.2010 by Windrider

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 45   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 449 users
11.07.2010 - 14:53
@gent_-_orange
Dont realy have high hopes for this .. but ill get it anway
11.07.2010 - 14:59
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
The black flame burns brighter than ever before... which is why we'll tour with Korn.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
11.07.2010 - 15:19
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Thryce on 11.07.2010 at 14:59

The black flame burns brighter than ever before... which is why we'll tour with Korn.

This.

Bad title, bad cover art. But we shall see about the music.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
11.07.2010 - 15:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Maybe they meant the black flame of ragga and funk, MON!

I think the cover art is pretty nice. At least it's not a fucking skull with bleeding snakes coiled around it.

Don't really care about the music, sure it'll be an expensive sounding synth-fest.
11.07.2010 - 16:12
I_Die_Often

----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
11.07.2010 - 16:49
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Cool, it seems they are right about the big fist on someones face, lol
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
11.07.2010 - 17:30
His Eminence
Account deleted
The album name sounds really dumb to me. I might check it out. Hopefully it doesn't sound too much like the last one...
11.07.2010 - 17:33
Zhao
The Arkaholic
The black flame burns brighter than ever before.
Did they just steal a line from Rhapsody of Fire?
11.07.2010 - 17:38
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
If they album name was dumb, why all of you interested in it? they dumbed you maybe
----
11.07.2010 - 18:18
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Looks pretty cool. At least it follows the legacy of DCA and the re-issued Stormblast.

As for the title, they have never actually been propular for good album titles. I do miss the 3-word-nonsense times already
----
11.07.2010 - 18:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
No, it was Rhapsody Of Cheese shortly following the lawsuit that made them tack "of Fire" on to their name. here.

probably won't pick up the new Rhapsody of Borgir album...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.07.2010 - 19:08
a MasT

ya korn wtf
11.07.2010 - 19:46
NaittsirK
93 !!!
I just love thelemic influence in metal music
----
Between two worlds I am quested not to be...
11.07.2010 - 20:26
Opethian
Sounds cool, IMO this album cover would look better if they brouhght back their original logo
11.07.2010 - 20:50
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
" An album title consisting of one word goes hand-in-hand with the new material"

So we should expect a bland, simple, pseudo-intellectual album which tries to be dark and deep but is just another fish in the pond (let alone a dumbfish)
11.07.2010 - 21:19
moe5512
Not too bad cover art... i think the album will sound great
11.07.2010 - 21:49
Got Mayhem?
Written by Paradox0 on 11.07.2010 at 20:50

" An album title consisting of one word goes hand-in-hand with the new material"

So we should expect a bland, simple, pseudo-intellectual album which tries to be dark and deep but is just another fish in the pond (let alone a dumbfish)

It's not often when you read such a long news update from a band and still have no clue whatsoever as to what's going on.
----
11.07.2010 - 22:00
trendkill-
Album name reminds me of harry potter.
11.07.2010 - 23:11
Eddie Misery
Lmao @ Harry Potter comment..haha

In Sorte Diaboli was little more than disappointment for me, and the video from that album was funny.

This would also be more exciting if not for the fact that they will be touring with Korn..haha...ahhhh... :/ ...that kills me a little bit inside. Not that I'm a huge Dimmu fan anyway, but surely there are any number of better bands (in the same genre no less) that they would be better suited to touring with??
12.07.2010 - 01:45
DahliaRock
It sucks that the album name reminds so much of Abracadabra, but needless to say, it sticks more because of that same reason. By the way, for people that straightaway diss it because, i think it does give the message that they are trying to give, that they are still strong and bla bla and all that bs which, hopefully, will be proven right when we listen to it.

oh, I bet Dimmu Borgir did google it, but nevertheless, good name and art =)
12.07.2010 - 02:15
SatyriconChick
I'm looking forward to seeing how this new album will sound. Hopefully it's better than In Sorte Diaboli - which I do like, but not as much as some of their older releases.
12.07.2010 - 06:37
METAL!
This is so cheesy it's unbelieveable. Sooo tired of shit like this.
12.07.2010 - 08:51
I actually find the album art to be rather good, or at least interesting.

As for the album title, it indeed does sound odd, but you certainly can't pre-judge the music content and quality based simply on that...

Apologies to relay the trite banality of "you can't judge a book by it's cover."

Black metal isn't my usual area of interest, but I'll check it out anyway.
12.07.2010 - 11:08
Dark Blood
The Avenger
"Expect the unexpected!"... I'm scared. but curious nonetheless. Let's see what they have in mind.
And yes.. the album title looks like a Harry Potter magic word... lol. The artwork is not bad though.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
12.07.2010 - 17:00
Heinosity
Account deleted
Why is everyone bashing Dimmu Borgir? They are one of the best black metal bands in existance. In Sorte Diaboli was a good album. Definitely not their best, but still good. Oh well, it really doesn't matter anyway. Those of you that frequent this website don't exactly have great taste in metal music, and looking at ratings on the album charts on here proves that beyond the shadow of a doubt. Fuck you stupid people, you should die slowly from cancer of the rectum.
12.07.2010 - 17:19
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Author on 12.07.2010 at 17:00

Why is everyone bashing Dimmu Borgir? They are one of the best black metal bands in existance. In Sorte Diaboli was a good album. Definitely not their best, but still good. Oh well, it really doesn't matter anyway. Those of you that frequent this website don't exactly have great taste in metal music, and looking at ratings on the album charts on here proves that beyond the shadow of a doubt. Fuck you stupid people, you should die slowly from cancer of the rectum.

because they have really bad videos about Jesus and religionists cant take it, this is my opinion. and why they dont bash the other satanist bands? because they are not so popular as this one. take a look at Cradle of Filth, good or bad they cant take it too.
----
12.07.2010 - 22:07
moe5512
Im also tired of hearing you people whining about dimmu. if you dont like them dont read their updates so we who are fans of dimmu can be allowed to be exciting about their future release without all the hate messages...
12.07.2010 - 22:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'm curious to see how it will turn out without some members but I also have no expectations thanks to the last album.
----
12.07.2010 - 23:23
nataliec
Just saw this on FEARnet too.. Can't wait to get this album!
13.07.2010 - 01:31
Sword_Chant
We want something as good as Enthrone Darkness Triumphant album!!!! Not the same, but AS GOOD!!!!! I live in hope

Hits total: 6345 | This month: 2