Metal Storm logo
Discuss about your favorite debut albums.

Original post

Posted by Elyar S., 31.07.2010 - 02:13
Today when I commented on In Mourning's debut album called Shrouded Divine; decided to open this topic. Its interesting for me to hear best debut albums because I think bands with best debuts are so important. It shows that they did something special in that time before they become famous, I can mention another new band with a very good debut album like A Fores of Stars with The Corpse Of Rebirth.

But lets talk about some important albums in history of metal like Iron Maiden's Iron Maiden which is a masterpiece for sure, those melodic guitars with Paul's strong vocals and Steve's unique bass sound. A masterpiece instrumental song like "Transylvania" or one of the best ballads of metal ever like "Remember Tomorrow" and yes born of NWOBHM maybe.

Or take a look at Metallica's Kill 'Em All album and born of thrash metal. A brutal instrumental song by adorable Cliff Burton . And songs like "The Four Horseman" or "Seek and Destroy" ...

Godfathers of metal Black Sabbath started with Black Sabbath in 1970 and made the history of metal with songs like "Black Sabbath" and "N.I.B" and brought us doom and heavy metal.

I can talk a lot and mention a lot of other albums but its better to see what you think all?
31.07.2010 - 15:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 31.07.2010 at 15:48

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2010 at 15:41
Who would thse eople say invented the death growl then if not Kam Lee?

Some people say it's the singer of Possessed who invented it. (And that Possessed invented death metal) I guess its an eternal arguement, which is hard to give a definitive answer to. But IMO at least, it was Kam and Mantas who first did the death metal thing. Though I would dispute that Possessed even were death metal. *puts flame suit on*

Jeff screams more than he growls. But Possessed did coin the prhase death metal, just like Venom coined the phrase black metal.
As for musically starting the trend, well that would be a mix up of Possessed, Death, Slaughter, I would say.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2010 - 15:51
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
A truly magnificent discussion about debut albums!
31.07.2010 - 16:25
vezzy
Stallmanite
The three Massacre demos and Infestation of Death (which is a bootleg, as far as I know, but whatever) utterly destroy anything Mantas ever did, but that's just me.
Anyway, back on topic.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
31.07.2010 - 16:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by vezzy on 31.07.2010 at 16:25

The three Massacre demos and Infestation of Death (which is a bootleg, as far as I know, but whatever) utterly destroy anything Mantas ever did, but that's just me.
Anyway, back on topic.

That is just you.

Yeah back to debut albums.

Well, Testament's The Legacy is a true classic which destroys every album in their own catalogue.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2010 - 16:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Cant give list its huge from ToT ToT till Ac/Dc , simnply I cant give you list but I like mosut band sdepute, but after thay changing style, I dont listebn it those who know my taste know what I mean
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.07.2010 - 17:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2010 at 15:50
Jeff screams more than he growls. But Possessed did coin the prhase death metal, just like Venom coined the phrase black metal.
As for musically starting the trend, well that would be a mix up of Possessed, Death, Slaughter, I would say.

Yep, I think its because they coined the phrase death metal, and Jeff's voice somewhat resembled death vocals that many credit them with starting the genre. That, and their debut came out 2 years before Death's. But for me, Kam has the archetypal death metal voice. And Death's music, unlike Possessed's really was something totally different. Also, Mantas and Death released demos before Possessed's first album came out, which I think negates that as an arguement. Listening to "Scream Bloody Gore" is like listening to the aural equivelant of a low budget, brutal, b horror movie. Definitely unique for its time. xD I think Possessed most definitely were an influence on early death metal bands, but Id say Death were the first real death metal band. I know thats only my opinion, but what the heck. lol

Okay, I'll stop being a geek now!
31.07.2010 - 17:15
In Bone Factory
From the new bands : Irminsul - Irminsul - 2009
----
The End Is Nigh ...
31.07.2010 - 17:22
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 31.07.2010 at 17:11

Yep, I think its because they coined the phrase death metal, and Jeff's voice somewhat resembled death vocals that many credit them with starting the genre. That, and their debut came out 2 years before Death's. But for me, Kam has the archetypal death metal voice. And Death's music, unlike Possessed's really was something totally different. Also, Mantas and Death released demos before Possessed's first album came out, which I think negates that as an arguement. Listening to "Scream Bloody Gore" is like listening to the aural equivelant of a low budget, brutal, b horror movie. Definitely unique for its time. xD I think Possessed most definitely were an influence on early death metal bands, but Id say Death were the first real death metal band. I know thats only my opinion, but what the heck. lol

Not really geeky. It's common knowledge, IMO. =\

Anyway, I'll add Evildead's Annihilation of Civilization on the list. Savage thrash debut.
----
31.07.2010 - 17:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 31.07.2010 at 17:22

Anyway, I'll add Evildead's Annihilation of Civilization on the list. Savage thrash debut.

I wouldnt say so... my opinion on the matter certainly isnt universally held anyways. I think Death/Mantas were the first real death metal band, and nobody will convince me otherwise. But there's plenty of people who would disagree with that opinion. lol

Other debuts I love are Annihilator's "Alice In Hell", Forbidden's "Forbidden Evil", and Helloween's "Walls Of Jericho". The latter being extremely influential as well as being an awesome album.
31.07.2010 - 17:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Possessed's demo was out before the most of Mantas' stuff
Imo and also that of loads of others who were there at the time... Possessed's music was such a step forward from thrash in terms of aggresivenes and total deliverance that we at the time considered that first death metal and of course Mantas shortly afterwards as well, same for Slaughter.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2010 - 17:30
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 31.07.2010 at 17:26

Written by vezzy on 31.07.2010 at 17:22

I wouldnt say so... my opinion on the matter certainly isnt universally held anyways. I think Death/Mantas were the first real death metal band, and nobody will convince me otherwise. But there's plenty of people who would disagree with that opinion. lol

Other debuts I love are Annihilator's "Alice In Hell", Forbidden's "Forbidden Evil", and Helloween's "Walls Of Jericho". The latter being extremely influential as well as being an awesome album.

1). I agree that they were the first. Also, you should check out Deathstrike's Fuckin' Death (Master side-project) originally released in 1985. It was a pretty early death metal demo, but it also had quite a few traces of doom. Early death/doom, possibly.

2). I never did like Alice in Hell or Annihilator as a whole. Don't know why.
----
31.07.2010 - 17:41
Elyar S.
Gud är Död

a lot of ppl say that it was Necrophagia which started death metal. Even if its true I dont think they were as important as Death for death metal for sure.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
31.07.2010 - 17:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2010 at 17:27

Wasnt Mantas' first demo released in the same year as Possessed's? Dont quote me on that though!

I realise its a neverending debate really, and the debateable nature of the subject just makes that all the more so. xD
31.07.2010 - 17:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 31.07.2010 at 17:48

Wasnt Mantas' first demo released in the same year as Possessed's? Dont quote me on that though!

I realise its a neverending debate really, and the debateable nature of the subject just makes that all the more so. xD

Yes the same year. If I remember correctly the Possesed one was released a month prior to that of Mantas.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2010 - 17:55
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2010 at 17:51

Written by Angelic Storm on 31.07.2010 at 17:48

Yes the same year. If I remember correctly the Possesed one was released a month prior to that of Mantas.

Possessed demo released in January you mean? because metal-archives says that Mantas's released in February but there is not any date for Possessed's "Death Metal".
----
31.07.2010 - 18:04
vezzy
Stallmanite
Does anyone actually own all the Death/Mantas rehearsal tapes? There are 12 in total.
----
31.07.2010 - 18:05
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
It has nothing with this topic but when you look at the debuts of these 3 bands by date:

1 - Possessed - Seven Churches - October 16th, 1985

2 - Necrophagia - Season of the Dead - February 1987

3 - Death - Scream Bloody Gore - May 25th, 1987

and I dont know about the others, maybe there are some others btw these dates too.

so when it comes to debuts I think its true that Necrophagia did it because as Marcel said Possessed is somehow thrash metal, or whatever.
----
31.07.2010 - 18:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by vezzy on 31.07.2010 at 18:04

Does anyone actually own all the Death/Mantas rehearsal tapes? There are 12 in total.

What I think is that some people added stuff there that has never been released and can only be found on vinyl bootlegs.
So like with Metallica who only have two demos but MA says there are more.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2010 - 18:18
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2010 at 18:12

What I think is that some people added stuff there that has never been released and can only be found on vinyl bootlegs.

What about the Megaforce demo?
----
31.07.2010 - 18:23
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Death Angel's "The Ultra-Violence" is one of the very good debuts IMO, a thrash metal song with almost 10 minutes, it kicks ass man.
----
31.07.2010 - 18:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by vezzy on 31.07.2010 at 18:18

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2010 at 18:12

What about the Megaforce demo?

That is a demo that was never sold. It should be called a promo instead.
The only demos Metallica have released are the Power Metal one and No Life Till Leather ones
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2010 - 19:10
Sangre Sani
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden - One of the best Iron Maiden albums in my opinion.
Metallica - Kill'em All - Fucking awesomeness
Paradise Lost - Lost Paradise - It's darker than inside of anus.
Anthrax - Fistful Of Metal - Deathrider rules!
31.07.2010 - 21:28
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
"The Strength The Sound The Songs" by Volbeat is a brilliant debut IMO, even if Jeff doesnt like it
----
31.07.2010 - 22:04
skrätte
I Hate You
Written by Elyar S. on 31.07.2010 at 06:14

@skrätte, so Black Sabbath's debut is a bad album hmmm, I will think about it man

I would LOVE to know where I said that. Please quote me in your response. One of us needs to learn how to read, and I'm quite sure it isn't me.
----
31.07.2010 - 22:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Sangre Sani on 31.07.2010 at 19:10
Anthrax - Fistful Of Metal - Deathrider rules!

Deathrider is an awesome song! xD I wouldnt class the album as a classic myself, because I think it has too much filler. But "Deathrider", "Metal Thrashing Mad", "Panic".... all classic songs.

Other awesome debuts:

Holy Diver - Dio
Left Hand Path - Entombed
Symmetric In Design - Scar Symmetry
The Haunted - The Haunted
Feel The Fire - Overkill
Wayward Sons Of Mother Earth - Skyclad
Primal Fear - Primal Fear
31.07.2010 - 22:43
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Angelic Storm on 31.07.2010 at 22:15

Yes, this is indeed very good, but again I much prefer the demo material.

Entombed released their best stuff under the Nihilist monicker.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
31.07.2010 - 23:45
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 31.07.2010 at 22:43

Written by Angelic Storm on 31.07.2010 at 22:15

Yes, this is indeed very good, but again I much prefer the demo material.

Entombed released their best stuff under the Nihilist monicker.

Definitely.
----
01.08.2010 - 00:21
Baz Anderson
Staff
Ok, I am drunk. Call me back later. 07815994435.
01.08.2010 - 00:21
Baz Anderson
Staff
Thread sorted.
01.08.2010 - 00:45
vezzy
Stallmanite
Quote:
Ok, I am drunk. Call me back later. 07815994435.

What the hell?
----