Metal Storm logo
What is you favorite thought provoking song?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 31.08.2006 - 22:08
I'm interested in seeing what song you would choose and possibly why the song makes you think.
18.12.2007 - 03:40
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Omen by Norther because it makes me think about the last relationship I was in . (emo I know.... )
20.12.2007 - 15:04
Tombspawn
Account deleted
You Suffer by Napalm Death.
Of course.
Non-metal (And non-grindcore) would be pretty much anything by Bad Religion.
25.12.2007 - 20:09
Ascalon
It deppends on what I want to think ... maybe an emotional problem, maybe just an abstract existencial issue, but fome some songs that make me think about a lot fo stuffs are:

The Enigmatic Spirit - Vintersorg

Running Alone - Angra

Blackwater Park - Opeth

Destiny - Stratovarius

Sign of the Cross - Avantasia

Bleeding Heart - Angra

And a lot more .. because the joy of interpret the lyrics it's the reasons why I love metal .. that every word said by a good musicians tells you something about your life it's THE good thing in life ....
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
27.12.2007 - 10:04
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
prob something long and epic - dream theater change of seasons comes to mind, but anything long and epic is pretty thought provoking
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
27.12.2007 - 14:09
Piro
This is actually a very odd one. Burzum- Lost Wisdom always gets me thinking. ( The No Vocal Version). I have no idea why, but once I played that song and started writing an opinion article for a Social Studies class I was taking, I ended up doing way more research than neccessary and just kept on asking questions. I think its the uncertain atmosphere that song tries to create that makes me want to know more about what I am writing about. Loved that song, and always will.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
28.12.2007 - 15:37
A.J Thunder
Dont really know if this is my favourit but it kicks ass amd yeah it gets me thinking.

So more Napalm Death

Napalm Death-Suffer the children.

- When all is done
Who shall benefit? Who is the one?
Not to those who pass on
But those dictators divine waving their deceitful wands-
31.12.2007 - 21:33
Olli
Vicarious by Tool, the lyrics give alot to think about.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
01.01.2008 - 01:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 23.09.2006 at 02:58

Good music shouldn't make you "think", just the opposite, it has to make you feel an abstraction and isolation and concentrate only on it... good music is stunning, and when you're stunned you make anything but thinking... jst feel.

I'm agree... I hate to think so much when I listen to a song... I only fly away.
That's for me the best feeling. Just relax and let the song continue with it's journey to a "far away land" xD.
And for me the best songs for that... the band DEVIL DOLL!!!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.01.2008 - 02:04
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Stratovarius have a few...........

"Infinity"
"Fantasia"
"Elements"

......They all make me conscious of what the world would be like without religious obsticals. They're the kind of songs that make me relate to the shit that keeps me awake at night.
01.01.2008 - 02:24
Ellie
Account deleted
Overkill by Overkill for me I would suppose
03.01.2008 - 09:12
A.J Thunder
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.01.2008 at 01:55

Good music shouldn't make you "think", just the opposite, it has to make you feel an abstraction and isolation and concentrate only on it... good music is stunning, and when you're stunned you make anything but thinking... jst feel.

I'm agree... I hate to think so much when I listen to a song... I only fly away.
That's for me the best feeling. Just relax and let the song continue with it's journey to a "far away land" xD.

That sounds really "gay"

What kind of music do you listen to then?
03.01.2008 - 10:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by A.J Thunder on 03.01.2008 at 09:12

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.01.2008 at 01:55

That sounds really "gay"

What kind of music do you listen to then?

Jajajjaja I'm sorry. Maybe I used the wrong words. I mean.. when I listen to music [It can be Doom, some ghotic, death, black and sooo on] It feels like I'm senseless and when I listen to the music... I think about nothing. Because the music is already thinking for me.
Hard to explain. But I hope that it doesn't sound "gay" this time

And like I said before. The best band for me to do that is Devil Doll [The profile of the band is here in metalstorm] But it's not really a metal band. They use a lot of influences. Rock, Gothic, Classical and slavonic folk music.
A bit underground, but thanks to the internet is really easy to find anything about them.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.01.2008 - 18:02
torniojaws
Almost all dark ambient songs, but especially Raison d'Être, Sephiroth, old Delerium, etc. You can picture almost anything in your mind.
----
Vortech - New album out! VortechMusic.com Industrial Death Metal
04.01.2008 - 19:38
Dominique
Account deleted
One of Metallica, is my thought provoking song. It's too certain.

" I can't remember anything, Can't tell if this is true or dream, Deep down inside I feel to scream, This terrible silence stops me "
10.01.2008 - 10:39
Slinx
Account deleted
Sugar, Sugar by the Archies.
10.01.2008 - 11:02
Harmonic
Account deleted
Thought provoking? I'll go with Amon Amarth's "Gods Of War Arise." The lyrics really get me wondering what it was like to be a Christian in the Dark Ages and die at the hands of Vikings. For those of you who don't have an aversion to reading, try "The Hammer and the Cross" by Harry Harrison. Great stuff, particularly the business about "cutting the blood eagle."
11.01.2008 - 04:34
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Written by Guest on 10.01.2008 at 10:39

Sugar, Sugar by the Archies.

Thet's a heavy one dude! hehe
11.01.2008 - 04:37
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
There are so many songs, but the one that make me wanna live everyday is Swords In The Wind by Manowar. Perfect Music and perfect lyrics. The one that makes me battle: Blood Is The Price Of Victory from Ensiferum.
11.01.2008 - 18:56
Slinx
Account deleted
Damn right, it makes me ponder the meaning of life... and if I should try to get that girl from next door in the sack.;D
24.03.2008 - 02:34
MetalFäng
Account deleted
Alison Hell. Imagine going insane because your parents won't comfort you?!
29.03.2008 - 05:25
strayreverie
Account deleted
I've been listening to "A Trace of Blood" by Pain of Salvation a lot which has very thought-provoking lyrics and music, especially because it's a guy singing from experience about such a horribly sad, sensitive, unusual topic (stillbirth). The imagery in the words is very vivid.

"Still I follow that trace of blood
Always leading back to you
Hollow years of damming that flood
Two young souls in misery
Missing you..."
08.05.2008 - 21:21
Trinstar
"Stairway To Heaven" has provoked more thoughts and ideas than any other song.
"Supper's Ready" by Genesis over a nice evening of hallucinogenic drugs is always great for thinking.
"The Ritual" by Yes and "Tarkus" by ELP are thought-provokers, especially when drug induced.

As far as SOBER and METAL goes..."Fade to Black" is a great one. And I've never been suicidal or anything, but as far as pure "thoughts" goes, it is a provoker, since I've always wondered what goes through a person's mind to become suicidal, and if it's anything like the song. Gets me thinking!

And for some reason, "Halloween" by Helloween makes me think about weird stuff.
----
Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal, proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
There's magic in the metal; there's magic is us all
24.06.2008 - 00:11
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Most of the songs by Death (Control Denied too) like Empty Words, Philosopher, Secret Face, Deffensive Personalities, Flattening of Emotions.... All songs are well written and deal with things I encounter in real life almost ever day... People, mostly... Its frightfully true...

Also, many songs from Megadeth, and all songs from Psychoparadox's album Apeiron...

Generally, life related and philosophical/psychological lyrics...

Psychoparadox - Alogia

My illnesses are temporary,
Harder to other people than to myself.
They are totally without shape,
Deep, pervertly dirty but radiant.
They are insanely animated and again,
Limited by corporal claustrophobia.
My illnesses are week in front of my mind,
Shaped in the shell of exterior
Its infinity is running wildly from the veins to the arteries.
It is red 'cause of the shame which ends one more circle
And comes back to the beginning again
My thoughts are threatening,
More to other people than to myself.
They are the form of teeth which bit the peace of time
Trying to make the space for the one more life,
That space is filling itself with the spring air,
That space is strong as an oak with the thousand years old back,
Marked by the storms of the past.
I'll stand, lonely, looking for myself.
Through my glorious past.
----
24.06.2008 - 06:59
sq_xeper
any song from Symbolic, but I would go for the title track, Chuck always managed to write to good lyrics
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
24.06.2008 - 22:19
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Probably the whole Dream Theater album, Scenes from a Memory.. makes wonder if reincarnation is real or not, and because of personal reasons
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
25.06.2008 - 00:26
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i actually cant think of any song that makes me think in an intellectual or emotional way...obviously though any song is gonna make me think about something.

i would say agalloch makes me think more philosophically than anything else, so i would go with them on these terms.
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
25.06.2008 - 01:02
Nightwish; The Poet And The Pendulum.
Metallica; One.

I think there are others but they're the first to come to mind atm.
25.06.2008 - 01:24
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Dancers to a Discordant System by Meshuggah off Obzen

a 10 minute long epic that explores the future and collapse of the world

their lyrics are like poetry and are excellently written
25.06.2008 - 03:03
supersoad1
Account deleted
Written by Ascalon on 25.12.2007 at 20:09

It deppends on what I want to think ... maybe an emotional problem, maybe just an abstract existencial issue, but fome some songs that make me think about a lot fo stuffs are:

The Enigmatic Spirit - Vintersorg

Running Alone - Angra

Blackwater Park - Opeth

Destiny - Stratovarius

Sign of the Cross - Avantasia

Bleeding Heart - Angra

And a lot more .. because the joy of interpret the lyrics it's the reasons why I love metal .. that every word said by a good musicians tells you something about your life it's THE good thing in life ....

true all that
26.06.2008 - 06:22
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Eye of the Beholder - Metallica
and
Silent Science - Martyr

great lyrics
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln