Metal Storm logo
What is you favorite thought provoking song?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 31.08.2006 - 22:08
I'm interested in seeing what song you would choose and possibly why the song makes you think.
27.01.2007 - 13:39
APOHAKC
The Bard
You are gay - Anal Cunt, everything about this song you can see in the tittle
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
27.01.2007 - 14:32
lordz
IzZo
lets see....
Walk by Pantera makes me wana punch someone in the face
emptey words by Death is amazing makes me think of promises which I made but I couldnt fullfill or keep.........

non-metal... I would go with Mos Def the rapper and the guy from the Roots ... they got some deep lyrics that makes you think ....
27.01.2007 - 14:50
darksun
Actually any slayer song makes me feel great and helps me feel relaxed by pouring my hatred and anger.And for some romance coming home or before the winter from stratovarius,all songs of sentenced,old rock ballads,and even 50-60-70's pop and blues can be effective for my tears.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
22.02.2007 - 09:35
Danny Thomas
maybe arcturus nigthmare heaven or kinetic
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
22.02.2007 - 14:41
Pinusar
Account deleted
I'd say Nevermore off the top of my head. Most of the bands make me think and I like it because it makes me feel that I'm taking more part in listening or "feeling the song". Ah, right! Anathema and Candlemass are also worth a mention for me, their dark or mysterious lyrics create atmosphere I enjoy very much.

I Hate-Overkill, is a song that doesn't provoke too much of deep thinking for me, but I really love the pissed off theme of this song.
22.02.2007 - 15:17
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've two songs: Sleeping Stars by Wintersun and A Dying God Coming into Human Flesh by Celtic Frost. They're both very beautiful, atmospheric and relative slow and I guess that's why they make me think.
----
22.02.2007 - 15:39
Eight
Shapeshifter
Anathema - Forgotten Hopes
Aria - Oskolok l'da
and Human Fortress - Under Black Age Toil

Thats all for now i guess, but these songs really makes my brain work..
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
22.02.2007 - 16:24
Sunioj
Dissection - In the cold winds of Nowhere

The song gives me goosebumps whenever I listen to it...its like Jon is predicting his own death. And I feel related to the song because it just makes me think...about nothing direct. Just the first two lines.

"Search for my subconscious,
Leads me to myself"

I cant explain, its so eerie...
22.02.2007 - 17:58
Bitch Boy
Therion, Thy Majestie, and Rhapsody of Fire's songs, obviously because of the lyrics and the orchestration, make me think of stories, The LOTR-type.

And Katatonia's Evidence reminds me of my junior high days
22.02.2007 - 18:04
Warman
Erotic Stains
I forgot to say Drown in Ashes by Celtic Frost, very sad lyrics about lost love. It makes me think because it's about a subject not mentioned too much in metal lyrics and they're also sung very emotional and touching by Tom Gabriel Fischer, also female choir sung beautiful by Lisa Middlehauve.
----
22.02.2007 - 18:51
Basso
Account deleted
Napalm death - You Suffer

With the unforgettable lyrics, "You Suffer, But why?". Yes why do I suffer?
22.02.2007 - 20:00
Gothya
it's a song in spanish that everytime i'm listening to it, makes me think what the hell i'm doing with my life, thinking 'bout the mistakes i've done, what i can expect of my life in my future and sometimes makes wish a new beginning for my life; but it also makes me realize i'm wasting my time hating people or trying to love people whom don't even care about me, it seems like i'm out of this epoch, out of this time; and living my life like a puppet that everybody seems to be; and i still cant find a my place... and this is the song i'm talking about "Como las hojas" from Vago(mexican rock band) ....everything is always an endless painful circle...

this song makes me think so much, because of the lyrics, wich are very Real and Truthful, and it's just like the stuff i always end up feeling no matter what
----
OUR HEART MAKES THE PLANS,BUT IT IS THE LORD WHOM DIRECTS OUR STEPS
22.02.2007 - 23:26
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
The first song on "this godless endeavor" its very thought provoking. "Born" its in my toplist definately.
The future isnt looking very promissing...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
23.02.2007 - 05:12
Trifixion
Account deleted
Probably Empty Words by Death. Really every damn song on Symbolic is thought provoking in one way or another but if I had to choose one it'd be that. Especially the chorus. Lyrically, Without Judgement is probably more thought provoking but Empty Words has the lyrics and actual thought provoking music, to me anyway.
Promises, a potential to hurt, is anything real?
If that doesn't get you thinking along that chorus riff I don't know what will.
27.02.2007 - 00:27
Black Serpent
Account deleted
Cradle of Filth - Gilded Cunt^^

(Though it's a pretty good song^^)
27.02.2007 - 18:30
Sunioj
Written by Guest on 27.02.2007 at 00:27

I didnt know golden vaginas is thought provoking ...now that I think about it, it certainly is.
27.02.2007 - 19:39
Black Serpent
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 27.02.2007 at 18:30

Written by Guest on 27.02.2007 at 00:27

I didnt know golden vaginas is thought provoking ...now that I think about it, it certainly is.

Hehe, you may feel an inner lust and get mad over that
27.02.2007 - 20:29
RavenLord
Primordial - The Coffin Ships

Pretty much anything this band do is enough to get you thinking. Every note and word is so heart-felt, it just sucks you straight in. Nemtheanga's vocals are so emotional, so filled with rage and despair, you can't help but sympathise with the Irish emigrants forced to journey West in atrocious conditions.

Also, all Sabbat lyrics written by Martin Walkyier are very thought-provoking. The man simply has a way with words. 'Best of Enemies' and 'Mythistory' are particularly well written, as is 'For Those Who Died'
----
03.03.2007 - 04:38
FOOCK Nam
If I Could Fly of Helloween, Towards Dead End of Children Of Bodom, Heart Of Steel and Brother Of Metal by Manowar, all of the provoke my thought, getting my spirit up with the advocate of solitude and inner power "In solitude I stand", "No matter where I am, Im alone", "They tried to test our spirit".
04.03.2007 - 08:46
villain
Det Som En Gang var - Burzum
its a very visual, thought provoking song, very emotional. How something great was destroyed and is no more than a distant memory. The best of Burzum.
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
04.03.2007 - 09:37
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
most of the songs by summoning, burzum's 'key to the gate', and some of amon amarth songs. Also, many more black metal songs, and Kreator's songs in their album 'Enemy of god'.... I get lost into imaginations whenever I hear these..
----
that which shines without names and forms...
04.03.2007 - 11:05
Hyvaarin
In the past couple of months I've been getting right into Sentenced's lyrics, especially those off The Cold White Light. There's a lot of existential positivity in the brutally depressive music.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
04.03.2007 - 12:41
Judas
The Amputator
Whenever I listen to 'Midgards Eldar' by Enslaved, I lose myself in thought. I agree with everyone who mentioned Burzum's 'Det Som En Gang Var' as a very ethereal song suitable for long periods of solitude, and Windir's 'Svartesmeden Og Lundamyrstrollet' always makes me pensive about life in general too. None of the songs make me overly joyful or depressed, they just make me evaluate whatever I was thinking about at the time of listening.

EDIT: How could I forget Drudkh's 'Furrows of Gods'? That and Orphaned Land's 'The Storm Still Rages Inside' round out my list of Top 5 Thinking Songs!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
09.03.2007 - 08:57
Sonic MrSumo
Hollow by Pantera

The first half of the song is so desperate, and then the desperation just turns into pure aggression. A very good feel for the lyrics.

and...

Junkhead by Alice In Chains

The lyrics are really an autobiography of Layne Stailey's (the band's vocalist) drug habbit that ended up killing him.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
02.07.2007 - 16:43
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
10000 days by tool
Its just got some really catchy lyrics and it creates a world in itself that you can just switch off too
02.07.2007 - 16:51
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Art of Life by X Japan, the lyrics are just amazing and it really makes you think about the true meaning of love, and also life in general well its my favorite song it always makes me think about lots of stuff =D

And also Pain of Salvation songs specially Ashes (acustic is even better) its really disturbing because the song is all nice and shit, but then you start paying attention to the lyrics and you are like WTF? it talks about sexual abuse with a huge age gap
----
02.07.2007 - 23:21
OneWithMisery
Almost everything from Sentenced I think...the lyrics just..suck you in, especially if you're a morbid person like me.. Oh, and I hate you from Slayer-hehe, it just makes me want to dedicate it to someone (you know who the f*ck you are)...
----
Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'till it goes CLICK!
03.07.2007 - 00:13
Account deleted
Gotta be Moonsorrow - Jotunheim. I get in a trance when I spin Verisäkeet.
03.07.2007 - 02:51
Ernis
狼獾
"Ragnarök" by Tyr....this song has spirit and passion in it...and it is sad but hopeful....as are in fact all the songs in this album.....I do love this album....
17.12.2007 - 15:41
Starlight
Account deleted
Fortunately there are a lot of songs which inspirate me for thinking.
Most of them are about having emotions - good or bad; love, desire, daydream or just make me enjoy being alone with my thoughts which is good sometimes.
Let's see...

Anathema - Closer
Katatonia - My Twin
Lake of Tears - To Blossom Blue
Tiamat - Too Far Gone
Swallow the Sun – Out of This Gloomy Light
Rush - The Larger Bowl
Tool - Schism