Metal Storm logo
Does a genre called "Extreme Power Metal" really exist?

Original post

Posted by marinBG, 01.09.2006 - 21:39
I don't know whe ever tought of that name at all... and the strangest thing is when I see that Children Of Bodom are listed like that... quite frankly it pisses me off quite a lot!
and the most annoying thing is that I've read for example Alexi Laiho say that it doesn't matter how that style of the band is reffered to by people no matter if they say black, death or whatever kind of metal AS LONG AS IT'S NOT POWER METAL! And I really don't think that Children Of Bodom and Manowar for example should be both counted in the same cathegory... and I don't really think that the word "extreeme" changes so much... and I don't think it's the same style at all... for me the two styles have nothing in common...
and I think it is alfully rude and wrong to try to push a genre name to people that even the bands that are supposed to be in do not agree with... for me the most important opinion about stuff like that is the one of the people who create the music... there for if a band does not consider themselves something, you don't have the right to tell them what kind of music they play... especially when the bands is not made from complete retards...
I think people here should drop this gender name and go with melodic death metal or something... or finnish melodic death metal... or in other cases with Gothenburg Metal or something... But for me Extreeme Power Metal is comlitly incorrect... especially for Children Of Bodom

Poll

Do you agree with such genre label?

Yep! I think it's correct...
Whatever man... it doesn't really matter
Nope, I think it's incorrect!!!
I don't like it but it's ok!

Total votes: 463
27.08.2015 - 10:18
Ganondox
Written by Zap on 26.08.2015 at 14:59

Yeah, what Ilham said. The "extreme" tag is just to make it easy to distinguish between normal power metal and, well, more extreme versions of power metal.

And again, I'm not against calling it extreme power, I just don't consider it sepperate genre from either power metal or melodeath.
27.08.2015 - 12:33
Zap
Written by Ganondox on 27.08.2015 at 10:18

And again, I'm not against calling it extreme power, I just don't consider it sepperate genre from either power metal or melodeath.

Sorry, I hadn't read most of the discussion before I posted, I just posted mainly in reply to the topic. I agree with you, I don't think it's a separate genre.
13.09.2015 - 22:27
Ritual_Suicide
Account deleted
Its just a catch all for power metal bands who heavily incorporate elements of black and/or death metal. Its not really its own genre.
14.09.2015 - 03:45
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Ilham on 26.08.2015 at 14:35

I don't understand the debate. Power metal does exist right, and the "extreme" some people put in front of it is just a descriptor to be able to distinguish between bands like Norther, COB, Wintersun, etc, and other bands that have a softer vocal delivery like Hammerfall and all that stuff. Saying bands like COB aren't power metal is using the vocals as the only determining factor for the genre.

I agree
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.09.2015 - 09:47
Amy
Nope it's empowered extreme metal haha. Anyways it is probably a way to describe bands like Wintersun or Children of Bodom. Not enough to be power metal but too much grooving on the keyboards to be extreme metal. It's not a genre itself but more of a mix of two.
----
\m/
14.09.2015 - 11:52
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Amy on 14.09.2015 at 09:47

Nope it's empowered extreme metal haha.

You mean death flower metal?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
15.09.2015 - 04:30
Amy
Written by M C Vice on 14.09.2015 at 11:52

Written by Amy on 14.09.2015 at 09:47

Nope it's empowered extreme metal haha.

You mean death flower metal?

Nope. Sunshine and lollipops grindcore with lyrics focused on baking cookies.
----
\m/
15.09.2015 - 06:14
Amy
Written by deadone on 15.09.2015 at 05:26

Written by Amy on 15.09.2015 at 04:30

Nope. Sunshine and lollipops grindcore with lyrics focused on baking cookies.

Everything in the world is essentially some form of -core.

Yes. Does that mean there's a genre called lifecore?

Ok, I might be taking this too far now
----
\m/
15.09.2015 - 06:40
Guib
Thrash Talker
Can you smell the off-topicness
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here