Metal Storm logo
Does a genre called "Extreme Power Metal" really exist?

Original post

Posted by marinBG, 01.09.2006 - 21:39
I don't know whe ever tought of that name at all... and the strangest thing is when I see that Children Of Bodom are listed like that... quite frankly it pisses me off quite a lot!
and the most annoying thing is that I've read for example Alexi Laiho say that it doesn't matter how that style of the band is reffered to by people no matter if they say black, death or whatever kind of metal AS LONG AS IT'S NOT POWER METAL! And I really don't think that Children Of Bodom and Manowar for example should be both counted in the same cathegory... and I don't really think that the word "extreeme" changes so much... and I don't think it's the same style at all... for me the two styles have nothing in common...
and I think it is alfully rude and wrong to try to push a genre name to people that even the bands that are supposed to be in do not agree with... for me the most important opinion about stuff like that is the one of the people who create the music... there for if a band does not consider themselves something, you don't have the right to tell them what kind of music they play... especially when the bands is not made from complete retards...
I think people here should drop this gender name and go with melodic death metal or something... or finnish melodic death metal... or in other cases with Gothenburg Metal or something... But for me Extreeme Power Metal is comlitly incorrect... especially for Children Of Bodom

Poll

Do you agree with such genre label?

Yep! I think it's correct...
Whatever man... it doesn't really matter
Nope, I think it's incorrect!!!
I don't like it but it's ok!

Total votes: 463
20.11.2008 - 13:56
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Written by Bad English on 20.11.2008 at 13:51

Written by Dreamwar_86 on 20.11.2008 at 13:45

Thrash is one of the most styles i listen
and i could say it sometimes sounds kind of thtash you can't deny it

I dodnt saw any thrsh band in your profile, where are fav bands so ...

well it's because im more into prog buy i like a lot of thrash bands like Kreator,Destruction,Exodus,Testament,Annihilator,Anthrax,Flotsam And Jetsam etc.

OK MY point is for example Naildown is labeled as melodic death metal so i don't see much difference from this extreme power metal thing you feel me?
----
Stay Metal !!!
20.11.2008 - 14:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
People like you labeled Grave Digger, Iron Maiden, old Rage, Running Wild liked power even ifs pure Heavy metal
Here is example The Eternal posted new video,
nenber-I love it good death/doom
bad english-its not death/doom its gothic metal
member-sorry I read band play death/doom

I wanna say people dont know much about genres nowdays
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.11.2008 - 09:26
laid2rest
Account deleted
Didn't DragonForce invent the term to 'describe their style of music'?
25.11.2008 - 09:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 25.11.2008 at 09:26

If Dragonforce is extreme power metal, then I dont know whocan desribe cheaesy flower metal better
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.11.2008 - 10:51
laid2rest
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 25.11.2008 at 09:31

Written by Guest on 25.11.2008 at 09:26

If Dragonforce is extreme power metal, then I dont know whocan desribe cheaesy flower metal better

ROFL
I guess that term must've been taken
26.11.2008 - 16:42
Galar
Wicked Mung
If it does, Wintersun is the best example that I can think of
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
28.11.2008 - 10:36
Jewfasa
Account deleted
There is always gonna be a new genre made up. Shit i could Say Extreme noob pwning power goth metal. and that would probably be a genre.
01.12.2008 - 07:07
Lehctim
Can't we just call all of this stuff "melodic metal"? I mean, to me, a genre is more like a musical philosophy, like what is trying to be achieved with a type of music, and a subgenre helps describes different sounds within a genre. So power metal and melodeath and bodom are all really aiming for melody so to me its all "melodic metal".
26.12.2008 - 02:37
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Lehctim on 01.12.2008 at 07:07
Can't we just call all of this stuff "melodic metal"? I mean, to me, a genre is more like a musical philosophy, like what is trying to be achieved with a type of music, and a subgenre helps describes different sounds within a genre. So power metal and melodeath and bodom are all really aiming for melody so to me its all "melodic metal".
No. That's not specific enough. Some people go to any lengths to avoid harsh vocals, some want the double-kicks, and your idea makes no distinction between albums of energy and albums of doom. Terminology like extreme power makes it easier to find the tunes to which one wants to listen (when it's used correctly of course). Usually, it's not that hard.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
26.12.2008 - 14:50
Lehctim
Written by Syk on 26.12.2008 at 02:37

No. That's not specific enough. Some people go to any lengths to avoid harsh vocals, some want the double-kicks, and your idea makes no distinction between albums of energy and albums of doom. Terminology like extreme power makes it easier to find the tunes to which one wants to listen (when it's used correctly of course). Usually, it's not that hard.

Albums of energy and albums of doom have different musical philosophies, so they are different genres. Sounds are described by subgenres then, which is basically just describing what something sounds like to someone and you can get as specific as you want. But as a wider genre I think all of this stuff is melodic metal because they focus on melody.
26.12.2008 - 15:43
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Lehctim on 26.12.2008 at 14:50

Albums of energy and albums of doom have different musical philosophies, so they are different genres. Sounds are described by subgenres then, which is basically just describing what something sounds like to someone and you can get as specific as you want. But as a wider genre I think all of this stuff is melodic metal because they focus on melody.

So what are you trying to say here? This thread is in the melodic metal category, and Extreme Power is the subgenre of the melodic metal? So what's the argument about?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.12.2008 - 02:46
Lehctim
Written by K✞ulu on 26.12.2008 at 15:43

So what are you trying to say here? This thread is in the melodic metal category, and Extreme Power is the subgenre of the melodic metal? So what's the argument about?

No argument really, Im trying to point out that "extreme power metal" has no musical philosophy of its own, so I dont consider it a genre. But if you need to explain what a specific band sounds like than extreme power metal can be a helpful description. I guess Im trying to say that I dont consider subgenres to be official, just a way of describing a band's style and every band has its own subgenre if you get specific enough.
27.12.2008 - 08:02
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Lehctim on 27.12.2008 at 02:46

Written by K✞ulu on 26.12.2008 at 15:43

No argument really, Im trying to point out that "extreme power metal" has no musical philosophy of its own, so I dont consider it a genre. But if you need to explain what a specific band sounds like than extreme power metal can be a helpful description. I guess Im trying to say that I dont consider subgenres to be official, just a way of describing a band's style and every band has its own subgenre if you get specific enough.

ok, in this case I'm eager to find out how many genres are there in your opinion?

But, just to stop the argument: by the word "genre," the creator of the thread meant what you perceive as a "subgenre." so do you accept the term "extreme power metal?"
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.12.2008 - 11:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Contuining with the above posts in mind. There is only ONE genre and that is metal and all the rest can be considered subgenres or even sub-subgenres. Melodic metal and extreme metal (which btw can be melodic as well) are probably the two subgenres and from there on you'll have the sub subgeneres such as black metal, death metal, us power metal, european power metal, extreme power metal, doom metal (which can be split up into melodic doom and extreme doom and maybe even sludge doom, stoner doom, drone doom), thrash metal etc etc.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.12.2008 - 19:41
Lehctim
Yes, I accept the term "extreme power metal" but don't see it as official, more just an informal description. Ensiferum calls their music "heroic folk metal," which describes it well, and "extreme power metal" describes COB well, but you could also call it "extreme melodic metal" or something and it would also be right, IMO.
As for genres, I disagree that "metal" is the one all encompassing genre for metal music, because as I said I think that a true genre is a musical philosophy. A jazz band could make a great classical album but if they were trying to make jazz than they failed. So a black metal band could make a great technical death metal album but if they were going for atmosphere than they also failed. So the genres that I think are relevant aim for either atmosphere, musicality, melody, or concepts. Within metal, these genres include doom and black metal for atmosphere, prog, death and tech metal for musicality, power and melodeath for melodic, and concept music happens in all genres. Of course there are bands that incorporate more than one "musical goal" in their music, such as Wintersun having atmosphere, musicality and melody at once. So that's what I think for now and sorry for getting slightly off topic.
04.01.2009 - 00:09
Elfeder
The term extreme power metal is more for bands like eternal tears of sorrow and kalmah that use death metal motives & harsh vocal singing and mixing those with lyrics about legends or fairytales etc.(fantasy stuff)
so this is extreme power metal from my point of view (also I call it "Finish melodic death metal")
04.01.2009 - 11:43
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Lehctim on 27.12.2008 at 19:41

As for genres, I disagree that "metal" is the one all encompassing genre for metal music, because as I said I think that a true genre is a musical philosophy. A jazz band could make a great classical album but if they were trying to make jazz than they failed. So a black metal band could make a great technical death metal album but if they were going for atmosphere than they also failed. So the genres that I think are relevant aim for either atmosphere, musicality, melody, or concepts. Within metal, these genres include doom and black metal for atmosphere, prog, death and tech metal for musicality, power and melodeath for melodic, and concept music happens in all genres. Of course there are bands that incorporate more than one "musical goal" in their music, such as Wintersun having atmosphere, musicality and melody at once. So that's what I think for now and sorry for getting slightly off topic.

well, i must disagree with the general thrust of your response.

man and a koala bear are not particularly similar to one another, no?

yet they are both classified, ultimately, as mammals. from there, they are further differentiated by ever more specific sub classifications, such as class, order, family, genus, etc. but ultimately, mammals.

marcel is correct in that metal is the very wide umbrella under which all bands fall. everything else falls under that into ever more specific (and in some cases, ever more ludicrous) sub and sub-sub (and sub-sub-sub, ad-infinitum) genres.

and i agree with marcel, even as a metal fan who hates for non-metal people to lump me in with the COB/Nightwish/Manocheese lovers as a "metalhead."

your following assessment fails in one very obvious way... "a jazz band could make a great classical album... ...so a black metal band could make a great technical death metal album..." Jazz and Classical are worlds apart. While there are differences in the subsequent comparison, even you yourself went on to further reinforce marcel's point, as both your terms "black" and "death" carry the "metal" tag immediately following the adjective descriptor. a black metal band making a technical death metal album might have failed to make a proper, atmospherically correct black metal album, but they still made a metal album, whereas your aforementioned jazz band skips genres entirely to do their classical work. any moron metalhead with nary a coltrane nor mozart cd in their collection can differentiate between jazz and classical, whereas, say, my mother, who grew up on Beethoven and Mozart couldn't discern a black metal album from a death metal album if you spotted her the corpsepaint and gardening tools.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.01.2009 - 22:05
Lehctim
@BitterCOld
I'm talking about musical philosophies as genres, not sound styles as genres. Atmospheric music as a genre includes black and doom in metal, but there is music outside of metal that is created for the purpose of atmosphere. This is hard to explain and off topic so I'll leave it at that for now.
04.01.2009 - 23:46
HammerHorde
I am new here and haven't read this entire thread, but I think you can label music any way you want to. Sure, there are niche categories where genre names stick, but call it whatever you want, it's still metal!

Ryan
Hammer Horde
www.hammerhorde.com
----
Ryan
Hammer Horde
http://hammerhorde.com
15.01.2009 - 23:42
written in stone
Account deleted
Whatever is doesnt really matter, consider this at the end of any metal genre it always says metal so guess its all metal. haha.
17.01.2009 - 11:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 28.11.2008 at 10:36

There is always gonna be a new genre made up. Shit i could Say Extreme noob pwning power goth metal. and that would probably be a genre.

Noob pwning does not describe the music. Extreme is used to describe harsher qualities in metal, and power metal is typically known as very melodic. It takes much of the virtuosity and epic production and adds a harsher edge to it (and as Marcel stated, sped up).

Lord knows I hate stupid genre names as much as the next guy (I had a hard time accepting "stoner metal" as a genre and I still refuse to accept "viking metal" as a genre), but I fully understand the reasoning behind the term "Extreme power metal".
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.04.2009 - 15:10
Tordah
Yes, "Extreme Power Metal" means power metal with extreme vocals and blastbeats (I think). I don't know why Kalmah are classed as it because they are mostly Melodic Death Metal with influences from Power Metal.
13.06.2009 - 13:05
Illwish
I think it is a valid tag. However, it is not melo-death.

It is bands such as Kiuas and Persauder, who are based in Power Metal, but have large extreme metal influences.
13.06.2009 - 14:33
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Voted for "Nope". not because i don't think the music style exists but because i believe it is an incorrect naming. most of those bands have almost nothing similar to power metal...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
13.06.2009 - 21:41
IronAngel
You can't say it's incorrect if people use it. That's what genres are: etablished ways of describing and classifying music (or other cultural activities). They're completely arbitrary and subject to change as people give them new meanings. There's nothing in music itself that makes it black metal or trip hop, it's people who see similarities and call them the same.

"Extreme power metal" is a name that's used relatively often about several bands, so it's completely ridicilous to claim it doesn't exist. Whether it's an intuitive and well-chosen name is another matter, but I can't really be arsed to ponder that.
17.06.2009 - 17:17
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Completely disagree. At the heart of the music it isn't power metal - it is death metal.
The only similarities are melodic solos.
People also say that Dragonforce is 'extreme power' yet this would place them alongside Kalmah, Wintersun etc. If you put growling vocals on Dragonforce it wouldn't fit, I can assure you.

Even though I disagree it is a common term and nothing can change that now.
17.06.2009 - 21:42
Andresopeth
What is the problem of name in the things you listen to?, i mean, why is weird to someone that there's a genre called "Brutal Melodic Folk Metal" but there's normal another one called "Melodic Death Metal", the main issue should be if you like or you do not like the music, who cares how people clasify it??????, who cares which name people put on it????. Music is what it is, it is described itself and is the only thing we can be sure of, in my personal though, i don't care how it is called by others
17.06.2009 - 21:48
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Andresopeth on 17.06.2009 at 21:42

What is the problem of name in the things you listen to?, i mean, why is weird to someone that there's a genre called "Brutal Melodic Folk Metal" but there's normal another one called "Melodic Death Metal", the main issue should be if you like or you do not like the music, who cares how people clasify it??????, who cares which name people put on it????. Music is what it is, it is described itself and is the only thing we can be sure of, in my personal though, i don't care how it is called by others

hasn't ever someone asked you what style of music you prefer????
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
18.06.2009 - 16:07
Andresopeth
Written by Deadmeat on 17.06.2009 at 21:48

Yes, and when someone aske me that i answer with the names of the bands i like the most. Names of genre are subjective, would someone explain why a genre is called "Brutal" or "Death" or "Black", they're just names which is most important is music itsel, i don't care about how people call what i listen to.
18.06.2009 - 16:09
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Andresopeth on 18.06.2009 at 16:07

Written by Deadmeat on 17.06.2009 at 21:48

Yes, and when someone aske me that i answer with the names of the bands i like the most. Names of genre are subjective, would someone explain why a genre is called "Brutal" or "Death" or "Black", they're just names which is most important is music itsel, i don't care about how people call what i listen to.

every band you like has elements from those music styles. they can have the elements of 1 music style or of 10 mixed.. but the music styles exist...
----