Metal Storm logo
Why do people hate metalcore?

21.12.2010 - 18:54
patrickmetal12
A friend of mine asked my why i hated metal core and all those other weird -core bands out there.
I really dislike like the music they make. I want to be able explain why it is hated so much.
enlighten me (and everyone who comes across this topic)
21.12.2010 - 19:13
Malevolent-Jim
Most of the bands sound the exact same and don't do anything remotely interesting.It's popular to hate because its what's trendy in metal now, particularly Deathcore.
21.12.2010 - 19:24
Windrider
Raureif
Every core-shit is somehow emo-shit imo
21.12.2010 - 19:26
slaytanic12
Because most of it sounds almost exactly the same although some of it is decent the rest is just cheaply made bullshit with nothing but breakdowns (in my opinion)
21.12.2010 - 21:04
IronAngel
I don't hate coreshit. Some of it is great, some of it is really boring. Just like the shit that ends with "metal". I think it's pretty infantile to hate a genre and make vague generalizations, anyway.

People hate it because it's trendy to hate it, I wager. Besides, it's an easy target. It exists between worlds and is similar enough to metal to make a comparison but different enough to excommunicate.
12.01.2011 - 00:29
Axe Argonian
Most people hate it for a few good reasons.

1) Most metalcore is simply not metal. With more hardcore punk influence than heavy metal influence, most metalcore can be classified as a sub-genre of Hardcore punk, not a sub-genre of metal. There are some metalcore bands that draw more influence from heavy metal than they do from hardcore punk, but there aren't many. Bands like The Devil Wears Prada, Atreyu, and Norma Jean are examples of bands the lean more towards punk than metal. Killswitch Engage, Trivium, and Lamb Of God, on the other hand, have more metal leanings than punk leanings.

2) Hardcore punk vocals. As mentioned above, most metalcore bands draw much influence from hardcore punk, including the vocals. Most metalcore singers scream their lyrics in a very loud, punk-like, eardrum-popping manner, whereas heavy metal singers do not. The screaming is admittedly a property of hardcore punk, not of metal.

3) Popular and trendy. Just as many metal heads hated "nu-metal" when it was very popular, they now hate metalcore during a time when metalcore/deathcore/emocore is popular and trendy. Some people may say that it is very narrow-minded to despise metalcore for not being like other metal genres, but they should understand that metal heads hate metalcore for its posing as heavy metal while actually being more related to hardcore punk.

I should add, however, that those who enjoy speed metal, thrash metal, black metal, and death metal and hate all things related to punk are hypocrites. It is a true fact that if it were not for punk, heavy metal would have evolved only as far as a Judas Priest-like and Motorhead-like sound. Speed metal (brought about by the "New Wave of British Heavy Metal") is the product of classic heavy metal supplemented by the fast tempos and attitude of punk rock; thrash metal is the product of speed metal merged with the anger and aggression of hardcore punk; and death metal and black metal are the products of an extreme take on thrash metal. Punk has contributed to the world of metal and should be respected for doing so.

However, metalcore is taking the balanced relationship of heavy metal and punk in a direction that favors the punk side of the relationship. Whereas the aforementioned genres of metal are the results of a healthy balance of metal and aspects (key word here: ASPECTS) of punk, metalcore leans more towards hardcore punk than heavy metal, thanks to its extensive use of hardcore punk vocals. True, one might say that with metalcore, heavy metal is evolving, but with the aggression of thrash metal and fundamentals of hardcore punk, is metalcore, then, not an evolution of hardcore punk and not heavy metal? Therefore, metalcore can truly be classified as an evolved version of hardcore punk and not heavy metal.

I hope this helps you understand the truth about metalcore and gives you a more well-grounded argument in your opposition to metalcore.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
12.01.2011 - 00:50
IronAngel
Written by Axe Argonian on 12.01.2011 at 00:29

Most people hate it for a few good reasons.

1) Most metalcore is simply not metal. With more hardcore punk influence than heavy metal influence, most metalcore can be classified as a sub-genre of Hardcore punk, not a sub-genre of metal. There are some metalcore bands that draw more influence from heavy metal than they do from hardcore punk, but there aren't many. Bands like The Devil Wears Prada, Atreyu, and Norma Jean are examples of bands the lean more towards punk than metal. Killswitch Engage, Trivium, and Lamb Of God, on the other hand, have more metal leanings than punk leanings.

2) Hardcore punk vocals. As mentioned above, most metalcore bands draw much influence from hardcore punk, including the vocals. Most metalcore singers scream their lyrics in a very loud, punk-like, eardrum-popping manner, whereas heavy metal singers do not. The screaming is admittedly a property of hardcore punk, not of metal.

3) Popular and trendy. Just as many metal heads hated "nu-metal" when it was very popular, they now hate metalcore during a time when metalcore/deathcore/emocore is popular and trendy. Some people may say that it is very narrow-minded to despise metalcore for not being like other metal genres, but they should understand that metal heads hate metalcore for its posing as heavy metal while actually being more related to hardcore punk.

I should add, however, that those who enjoy speed metal, thrash metal, black metal, and death metal and hate all things related to punk are hypocrites. It is a true fact that if it were not for punk, heavy metal would have evolved only as far as a Judas Priest-like and Motorhead-like sound. Speed metal (brought about by the "New Wave of British Heavy Metal") is the product of classic heavy metal supplemented by the fast tempos and attitude of punk rock; thrash metal is the product of speed metal merged with the anger and aggression of hardcore punk; and death metal and black metal are the products of an extreme take on thrash metal. Punk has contributed to the world of metal and should be respected for doing so.

However, metalcore is taking the balanced relationship of heavy metal and punk in a direction that favors the punk side of the relationship. Whereas the aforementioned genres of metal are the results of a healthy balance of metal and aspects (key word here: ASPECTS) of punk, metalcore leans more towards hardcore punk than heavy metal, thanks to its extensive use of hardcore punk vocals. True, one might say that with metalcore, heavy metal is evolving, but with the aggression of thrash metal and fundamentals of hardcore punk, is metalcore, then, not an evolution of hardcore punk and not heavy metal? Therefore, metalcore can truly be classified as an evolved version of hardcore punk and not heavy metal.

I hope this helps you understand the truth about metalcore and gives you a more well-grounded argument in your opposition to metalcore.

I agree with your analysis of metalcore and pretty much the reasons some people hate it, too. But what stands out there is that you call them good reasons. "Metalcore is not metal", "metalcore vocals are hardcore punk screams" or "metalcore is trendy" are reasons from a satirical charicature, not really something I can take seriously.

I'm not really sure if metalcore "poses as" heavy metal, either. I couldn't speak for all of the bands (especially since I don't even know the style well), but I can imagine they're mostly quite aware of their sources of inspiration. In general, few artists seem interested in posing as representatives of any particular style, it tends to be the fans and critics who implement those labels.

That said, I can see why people wouldn't enjoy metalcore. I don't really like it myself. I just think that the reasons for singling it out and "hating on it" are mostly ridicilous. That goes for pretty much any genre: it's really naïve to "hate" a style of music and make a big deal of it. Getting worked up and wallowing in your insignifigant negative feelings towards a style of music or any other form of art or entertainment usually just wastes your energy and nobody else cares. Certainly not the artists.

Windrider: I'm not sure if you've actually ever listened to Emo, but you've got your categorization backwards there. Emo(core) is a derivation of hardcore punk, not the other way around. Most people here have completely wrong ideas about Emo anyway, and use it as a substitute for "whiny mainstream alternative rock" and those funny looking teens with bad hygiene. My Chemical Romance or Funeral For A Friend have little to do with Emo. Check out Sunny Day Real Estate instead. And then there's the harsher kind like Circle Takes The Square, and Envy, who're actually pretty metal and their latest album is really good post-hardcore/post-rock/post-metal. Funeral Diner are ace, too. There's plenty of nice music in the core-styles (though not quite so in the metalcore corner).
30.01.2011 - 14:48
Luneth
Account deleted
I can take some Metalcore, Avenged Sevenfold is a band I used to really love a lot and I also enjoy Killswitch Engage with a few non metal friends every now and again while chilling out. I know absolutely nothing about Deathcore.

I don't think there's a great mystery in this topic personally; the majority of metalheads in this community have been listening to metal easily 10/20+ years, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Metalcore phenomenom is a relatively new one, yes? Well...people don't like change, as negative as it sounds its just one of those things.

Metalcore is obviously aimed at a younger generation of metallers hence the bands images and sounds.
30.01.2011 - 16:33
ANGEL REAPER
Metal core is all into taking money ....
There are few exceptions....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
31.01.2011 - 01:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 30.01.2011 at 16:33

What proof do you have of that? Because metalcore is melodic and primarily marketed to teenagers?

Look at power metal, death metal (replace melodic with brutal), etc.

Almost every genre has its share of bands who have a vested interest in trying to make money (although they'd be better off writing hip-hop singles), but for the most part, metal is a non-profit form of art (come to think of it, similar to almost every other art form).

Metalcore = Norwegian black metal at the end of the day. Both are within the metal spectrum, bands of both genres sell their material in order to make money (most of which is used to produce more material), and both genre's primary markets are teenagers and young adults.

Don't get me wrong, I rarely listen to any -core music, but the unjust hate it gets is just plain idiocy.

PS - not calling you or anyone here in particular an idiot, just voicing my opinion.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.01.2011 - 02:48
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.01.2011 at 01:56

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 30.01.2011 at 16:33

What proof do you have of that? Because metalcore is melodic and primarily marketed to teenagers?

Look at power metal, death metal (replace melodic with brutal), etc.

Almost every genre has its share of bands who have a vested interest in trying to make money (although they'd be better off writing hip-hop singles), but for the most part, metal is a non-profit form of art (come to think of it, similar to almost every other art form).

Metalcore = Norwegian black metal at the end of the day. Both are within the metal spectrum, bands of both genres sell their material in order to make money (most of which is used to produce more material), and both genre's primary markets are teenagers and young adults.

Don't get me wrong, I rarely listen to any -core music, but the unjust hate it gets is just plain idiocy.

PS - not calling you or anyone here in particular an idiot, just voicing my opinion.

I've said "There are few exceptions "!
Like I said everything that is primary made to make money is not the kind of quality i'm usually looking for...
I agree with you till the some point ,but I must say that -core things somehow lack the "soul of metal" although it probably have the "heart of metal".
Personally I've been exposed to metalcore because some of my friends listen to it but I've just fond that its not "it".The fact that songs usually looks the same and that in the end everything is coming to "bashing ,breaking,screams and everything all over again",are not my style and style of 90% of people that listen to metal...I have also came to conclusion that such music easily appeal tho younger audience because in that age people are usually revolted and always in "rebellion mode "....
And at the end yes everything revolve around money,yet -core stuff is aimed to make money in first place ,while metal is just metal,you play your type of music on away you like it and if the rest of world like it you get money if not you play for yourself ...Btw -core stuff is also sometimes good stuff,and sometimes there pop out some bands that are listenable but its just not my kind of shit....
I hope you understand what i mean...........
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
31.01.2011 - 02:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 31.01.2011 at 02:48

*response*

I completely understand. It's unfortunate you have such a biased understanding of metal and its several sub-genres. Hopefully you're able to open your mind in the future and understand that -core music isn't "false" metal by any stretch of the imagination. The fact that it "all sounds the same" is because you simply don't like the style. A lot of black/death/thrash/power/etc. sounds "the exact same" to a lot of people who don't like those genres - heck, even fans of the genres realize a lot of similarities amongst songs/albums/artists.

Again, good luck with perhaps broadening your understanding of not only metal, but pop culture.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.01.2011 - 03:05
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.01.2011 at 02:52

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 31.01.2011 at 02:48

*response*

I completely understand. It's unfortunate you have such a biased understanding of metal and its several sub-genres. Hopefully you're able to open your mind in the future and understand that -core music isn't "false" metal by any stretch of the imagination. The fact that it "all sounds the same" is because you simply don't like the style. A lot of black/death/thrash/power/etc. sounds "the exact same" to a lot of people who don't like those genres - heck, even fans of the genres realize a lot of similarities amongst songs/albums/artists.

Again, good luck with perhaps broadening your understanding of not only metal, but pop culture.

I never said false music or I am thinking about metalcore as such music ....
Fact > 1.I listen to metal
2.I play metal
4.I compose metal
5.I understand it very well
Yes I said that I agree with you till the some point,just I am telling you that 90% of people that I know think the same on this mater as I do...
And that is also a fact ,
About broadening my views > I am open minded person and I don't hate -core I just don't think its worth of my time....
----
31.01.2011 - 03:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 31.01.2011 at 03:05

About broadening my views > I am open minded person and I don't hate -core I just don't think its worth of my time....

Those facts prove nothing about your apparent knowledge of metalcore being a sell-out genre that was only invented in order to make money, lacking soul and some "it" factor that only select metal bands possess (i.e. non--core bands).

I won't argue any further as you aren't going to see it any other way - just thought I'd let you know the door you're standing in front of leads to another room.
----
31.01.2011 - 03:19
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.01.2011 at 03:10

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 31.01.2011 at 03:05

Those facts prove nothing about your apparent knowledge of metalcore being a sell-out genre that was only invented in order to make money, lacking soul and some "it" factor that only select metal bands possess (i.e. non--core bands).

I won't argue any further as you aren't going to see it any other way - just thought I'd let you know the door you're standing in front of leads to another room.

People play -core and listen to it because its cool at the moment ,metal by pop standards is so uncool...get it?
----
31.01.2011 - 03:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 31.01.2011 at 03:19

People play -core and listen to it because its cool at the moment ,metal by pop standards is so uncool...get it?

All right, I knew you weren't going to change your view, but just imagine this for 3 seconds:

People play -core and listen to it because they like it.

[genre] by [genre] standards is so uncool, fyi.
----
31.01.2011 - 04:02
SlaytanicGonzo
Let me start by saying that I don't like Metalcore AT ALL. It's one of the only few Metal sub genres I don't listen to. But that doesn't mean I hate it or that it sucks, as a lot of metalheads would seem to think. It's just a type of metal, just like Black, Doom, Death or Power. It's just different, if you don't like it that doesn't mean it's bad.
I do agree that most band and song names are INMENSELY stupid. But that's it.

"they luk lik a bunch of emo fags": Well, yeah, and Black Metal musicians look like a bunch of fat guys who want to look so grim and evil that they end up looking ridiculous. And I like Black Metal, but their image is stupid and unnecesary. Are you really that superficial to judge a band by how the members look?

"they hav breakdowns which r st00pid": Yeah, I don't like that either. But hating Deathcore for that is like hating Death Metal because "you can't understand shit", or hating Black Metal because "they repeat the same riff over and over again", or hating Doom because "it's soooo slow", or hating Power Metal because "it's too melodic and not brutal enough". If you don't like that, fine, but that's part of the style. It can still be good music.

"da vocals are soooo annoying rofl": I find them annoying too, honestly. But some 'core vocalists have great skill. And some people may find Death Growls or Black Metal Shrieks annoying, but that doesn't mean it sucks, it's not easy at all to "sing" like that, like it or not.

"theyr sooooo commercial": I can assure you neither of my non-metal friends who listen to actual commercial music would stand a whole Suicide Silence or Bullet For My Valentine song.
31.01.2011 - 04:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by SlaytanicGonzo on 31.01.2011 at 04:02

*rant*

End of thread.
----
31.01.2011 - 05:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.01.2011 at 03:25

All right, I knew you weren't going to change your view, but just imagine this for 3 seconds:

Shit, Troy, that's damn near logical! Metalcore is like any other genre, some bands are awesome, most bands suck. Sadly, the ratio of great bands compared to shitty bands is staggeringly low in any genre.

Also keep in mind that the genre covers a lot of sounds, like pretty much any other genre. Just because you like black metal, doesn't mean you automatically like symphonic black. The bare-bones description of "metalcore" is hardcore punk mixed with extreme metal. Of course, it's developed it's own distinct sound of the past few years so it doesn't just sound like a hybrid genre anymore. I've found myself getting into a lot more metalcore recently, but that doesn't automatically mean I love Avenged Suckfold, or Bullet For My Valentine.

What it comes right down to, is what happens with every genre. People hear the most marketable, plastic, commercial bands then paint the entire genre with that brush. Sadly, most mainstream metalcore is more blatantly shit than many other genres.

EDIT: I like how pretty much everyone who posted something a long the lines of "coreshit is just emo bullshit" or some other equally ignorant spew is under 20. I find it kind of funny. I was probably the same way 3 or 4 years ago though.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
31.01.2011 - 05:04
ANGEL REAPER

If they play it because they like to play it and get tone of money for that that is ok,but if they play it for money only because its cool at the moment that is nothing than sellout ...I however dont like it,and so on....
----
31.01.2011 - 05:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 31.01.2011 at 05:03

What it comes right down to, is what happens with every genre. People hear the most marketable, plastic, commercial bands then paint the entire genre with that brush. Sadly, most mainstream metalcore is more blatantly shit than many other genres.

Way too true - and this of course applies to, as you said, every genre. What's that flowery quote - life isn't about how many breaths you take, but how many moments take your breath away? That's like music. It's not about the...nope nevermind. Saw bewbs. Lost train of thought.
----
31.01.2011 - 05:08
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Doc G. on 31.01.2011 at 05:03

Shit, Troy, that's damn near logical! Metalcore is like any other genre, some bands are awesome, most bands suck. Sadly, the ratio of great bands compared to shitty bands is staggeringly low in any genre.

Also keep in mind that the genre covers a lot of sounds, like pretty much any other genre. Just because you like black metal, doesn't mean you automatically like symphonic black. The bare-bones description of "metalcore" is hardcore punk mixed with extreme metal. Of course, it's developed it's own distinct sound of the past few years so it doesn't just sound like a hybrid genre anymore. I've found myself getting into a lot more metalcore recently, but that doesn't automatically mean I love Avenged Suckfold, or Bullet For My Valentine.

EDIT: I like how pretty much everyone who posted something a long the lines of "coreshit is just emo bullshit" or some other equally ignorant spew is under 20. I find it kind of funny. I was probably the same way 3 or 4 years ago though.

Finnally,someone who get it...
----
31.01.2011 - 05:10
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.01.2011 at 05:07

Way too true - and this of course applies to, as you said, every genre. What's that flowery quote - life isn't about how many breaths you take, but how many moments take your breath away? That's like music. It's not about the...nope nevermind. Saw bewbs. Lost train of thought.

Life is about how you will spend your last breath .....btw
----
31.01.2011 - 05:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 31.01.2011 at 05:04

If they play it because they like to play it and get tone of money for that that is ok,but if they play it for money only because its cool at the moment that is nothing than sellout ...I however dont like it,and so on....

What makes anything "okay"? I'm pretty sure the musicians just do whatever they want - money-related or passion-related, whatever. It's like an athlete. Some probably dedicate their lives to playing a professional sport for the fame/glory/money, while others are passionate about the sport - and then of course there's the anomaly of an athlete who wanted the fame/glory/money and plays out of a passion for the game.

I don't understand your logic at all, I'm sorry. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree because our bickering is leading us and everyone who reads this little back-and-forth in the same direction:

Nowhere.
----
31.01.2011 - 05:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I think this thread has enough serious in it now. My work here is done.
----
31.01.2011 - 05:20
ANGEL REAPER
Like I said -cores aren't my kind of shit.....
If its yours TG than fine ,enjoy it ...
----
31.01.2011 - 06:59
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
What Goes Up Must Eventually Come Down
rock and roll in 50's
Beatlemania & hard rock/psychedelic in 60's & 70's
heavy metal in 80's
alt metal in 90's
metalcore in 00's

Metalcore's time in the mainstream metal scene is nearly or almost over as everyone went for the overkill and it backfired..........
it was cool back then now it is a thing of the past.........
31.01.2011 - 10:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 31.01.2011 at 06:59

What Goes Up Must Eventually Come Down
rock and roll in 50's
Beatlemania & hard rock/psychedelic in 60's & 70's
heavy metal in 80's
alt metal in 90's
metalcore in 00's

Metalcore's time in the mainstream metal scene is nearly or almost over as everyone went for the overkill and it backfired..........
it was cool back then now it is a thing of the past.........

I fail to see your logic behind this...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
31.01.2011 - 11:45
JD
Account deleted
I don't hate Metalcore, i just hate bands like "BFMV" and "A7X" which they make me puke with thier clean pop annoying voice that's not metal!.

My favorite Metalcore band will be Black Bomb A, from france.
31.01.2011 - 13:12
IronAngel
I'm just now listening to Every Time I Die for the first time, it's pretty cool. I like the vocals, something Down-esque about them.