Metal Storm logo
Why do people hate metalcore?

Original post

Posted by patrickmetal12, 21.12.2010 - 18:54
A friend of mine asked my why i hated metal core and all those other weird -core bands out there.
I really dislike like the music they make. I want to be able explain why it is hated so much.
enlighten me (and everyone who comes across this topic)
25.09.2011 - 03:09
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
I don't like Metalcore because the sound just doesn't appeal to me, the vocals, the breakdowns, etc. and how it's penetrated itself into the metal world....
13.11.2011 - 19:18
Fade To Black
Metalcore is the flavour of the "week". In the eighties glam metal bands were every where, the nineties had grunge and then Nu-metal. The reason people hate metal core is that there's so many metalcore band the good one don't rise to the top as quickly if at all. In ten year when techno metal is the new big thing (hopefully not) we'll look back at the dozen or so good metalcore bands and call the newest sub genre shit.
14.11.2011 - 14:31
sheriko
There are so many crap metalcore bands out there indeed, but there are some good aswell. And well the crap ones shine the most.
----
All metal sounds good! ;)
Today I killed, he was just a boy
Eight before him, I knew them all
In the fields a dying oath:
I'd kill them all to save my own

Cut me free, bleed with me, oh no
One by one, we will fall, down down
Pull the plug, end the p
14.11.2011 - 20:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Ya unfortunately the bad metalcore bands are more popular than the good ones.

Kind of like rap. All anyone knows is the radio/MTV stuff. I'm not saying everyone has to be an underground kvlt music listener, it's just strange how all the low-quality generic stuff breaks into the mainstream, gives the genre a bad name to people who look for "good" music, and yet the underground stuff they would enjoy doesn't see the light of day.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.11.2011 - 21:52
brapp32
Who would you consider good metalcore bands?
14.11.2011 - 22:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by brapp32 on 14.11.2011 at 21:52
Who would you consider good metalcore bands?

Converge, Zao, Misery Signals, Horse the Band, Sikth... Probably my top 5, although there aren't many bands outside of that top 5 that I enjoy.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.11.2011 - 23:16
brapp32
I've tried giving horse the band and converge a chance but unfortunately I couldn't get into either one of them. I like sikth they got an interesting sound. Misery signals not sure why but I never really gave them a chance. I'll give them and zao a listen to see what they are all about.
14.11.2011 - 23:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by brapp32 on 14.11.2011 at 23:16
I've tried giving horse the band and converge a chance but unfortunately I couldn't get into either one of them. I like sikth they got an interesting sound. Misery signals not sure why but I never really gave them a chance. I'll give them and zao a listen to see what they are all about.

These are mostly non-melodic metalcore bands. If you like melodic metalcore (like As I Lay Dying and Killswitch Engage) I won't be able to help with recommendations.
----
14.11.2011 - 23:29
brapp32
Never really got into Killswitch engage. I found them to be a little on the boring side. The clean vocals annoy me to. AILD are a solid band. I only really like their newer stuff. Mostly there last 2 albums. I'm more into bands like Parkway Drive and August Burns red. Are they considered melodic metalcore? I checked a few songs from Zao and Misery signals, you were right not really feeling either one of them.
14.11.2011 - 23:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by brapp32 on 14.11.2011 at 23:29
I'm more into bands like Parkway Drive and August Burns red. Are they considered melodic metalcore?

They are, ya. A bit different from the likes of KSE and AILD though. A bit more...I dunno, "rough"? Definitely two bands I'm not into though.
----
14.11.2011 - 23:57
brapp32
I kinda figured you weren't really a fan of either one of those. Any chance you like The Acacia Strain. I'm hearing that they are gonna be the main support for Lamb Of God when they go on tour in 2012.
15.11.2011 - 00:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by brapp32 on 14.11.2011 at 23:57
Any chance you like The Acacia Strain. I'm hearing that they are gonna be the main support for Lamb Of God when they go on tour in 2012.

Not in the least, although that should be an interesting tour. I know a lot of people fighter over bands like LoG and Shadows Fall being metalcore because they seem better suited for alternative thrash, but those who think of them in the metalcore light should definitely enjoy that show.
----
15.11.2011 - 00:14
brapp32
I'm pretty excited about it. It's not often that you get to see 2 of your favorite live bands do a show together. I'm kind of curious to see who else is playing with them.
30.11.2011 - 20:12
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Ah metalcore, probably the type of metal i hate the most. Why? To me i dont see any talnet in all that screaming. one of my good friends plays in a metalcore/deathcore band and they dont even have any lyrics, their singer just screams into the microphone. Thats pretty fucking stupid if you ask me, and the breakdowns? They are not hard to play at all, and they are really boring as well. Wheres all the guitar solos? There seems to be ALOT of double bass too, sure its cool and all, but it doesnt have to be the only thing the drummer does. Now my friend use to love thrash and old school metal like i still do, but a couple years ago that changed. Metalcore and deathcore is obviously alot more popular than other kinds of metal right now, but i just dont see it. The black hair dye, gauges, and all that other emo shit. Its for pussys i say, but thats just my opinion.
30.11.2011 - 21:17
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 30.11.2011 at 20:12

Ah metalcore, probably the type of metal i hate the most. Why? To me i dont see any talnet in all that screaming. one of my good friends plays in a metalcore/deathcore band and they dont even have any lyrics, their singer just screams into the microphone. Thats pretty fucking stupid if you ask me, and the breakdowns? They are not hard to play at all, and they are really boring as well. Wheres all the guitar solos? There seems to be ALOT of double bass too, sure its cool and all, but it doesnt have to be the only thing the drummer does. Now my friend use to love thrash and old school metal like i still do, but a couple years ago that changed. Metalcore and deathcore is obviously alot more popular than other kinds of metal right now, but i just dont see it. The black hair dye, gauges, and all that other emo shit. Its for pussys i say, but thats just my opinion.

To be honest, it's not like death metal/grindcore bands don't just scream into a mic either. I recall reading an Insect Warfare interview where they admitted that only some of the lyrics are actual words, the rest is mindless, cool-sounding screaming.

Also, for fuck's sake, learn what the word "emo" means.

And learn to spell pussies.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
30.11.2011 - 21:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by vezzy on 30.11.2011 at 21:17
I recall reading an Insect Warfare interview where they admitted that only some of the lyrics are actual words, the rest is mindless, cool-sounding screaming.

Reminds me of Torsofuck. The guy literally just gurgles into the mic but their lyrics read like a journal entry. You just know he isn't singing along to anything they wrote down on a piece of paper. In fact they probably wrote the lyrics after the songs were recorded. If he did gurgle anything important he obviously forgot what he was gurgling about.

Just for the record, I love Torsofuck. This isn't me bashing them, just adding to the debate.
----
30.11.2011 - 21:27
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.11.2011 at 21:21

Reminds me of Torsofuck. The guy literally just gurgles into the mic but their lyrics read like a journal entry. You just know he isn't singing along to anything they wrote down on a piece of paper. In fact they probably wrote the lyrics after the songs were recorded. If he did gurgle anything important he obviously forgot what he was gurgling about.

Just for the record, I love Torsofuck. This isn't me bashing them, just adding to the debate.

Oh yeah, Torsofuck. Pretty much any guttural vocal style where the vox are highly unintelligible allow you to cheat and produce just about any sound from your diaphragm or whatever.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
30.11.2011 - 23:11
Kennoth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.04.2011 at 16:37

Written by IronAngel on 28.04.2011 at 16:29

I would understand if normal, civilized people laughed at hardcore dancing. Yeah, it does look awfully silly. But when it comes from metalheads, it always seems so ironic. We are not very cool ourselves.

Absolutely true.

You both have a point. Just call it a personal preference.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
02.12.2013 - 22:02
Mimo210
I used to hate metalcore like hell. I thought my hears were bleeding everytime I heard people growling their throats out. I thought it was the most disgusting thing on earth, and I even insulted those who listened to metalcore. I now realise I was a real dickhead. I mean, I didn't even try to listen to it only once, and I was criticizing that certain genre because... I don't know!
As soon as I got to listen more metalcore bands I've completely loved it. And I hate to see people bitching about metalcore, it kind of reminds of me. I think it's stupid to try to force your thoughts to others. Okay, I don't like those mainstream whores that make so-called music nowadays, Miley Cyrus for example. But I don't get to her video clips and comment things like "how can even people listen to this shit?" or "this slut sucks cock" and isnulting people that listen to her. Because it's just a matter of perspective what you listen to and what you consider music. Haters gonna hate.
People say that Bring Me The Horizon is popular because of whiny emo bitches that are in love with Oliver Sykes. I starting listening to them and fell in love with their music. I'm not a whiny emo bitch, and believe me, I didn't even know how the vocalist was like when I first got into them. I've never heard to a band because the vocalist or the guitarist or the drummer is hot. Yeah, I may sound a bit random right now but these are things people need to understand. Respect there are people that like this music and stop bitching about it. People going on concerts to diss the band and ruin the set and shit. This is so fucking selfish, other people have payed to see them live! I think Parkway Drive rock, you may think they suck, this world would be better if everyone kept their thoughts for theirselves and didn't try to upset one another.
Ok, I talked way too much... Excuse me for the vulgar language I used. :p
The topic wasn't exactly that but I think I talked about everything that involves metalcore nowadays.
I hope you guys read all this and think I might be right and, hey, I just registered xD, and thank you for your time...
06.12.2013 - 22:56
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
I love Metalcore. But I can understand a lot of people hate it in the Metal community, because it's not fitting compared to other genres. It appeals more to Hardcore/Deathcore fans.
15.12.2013 - 20:42
DyingWorld
I always hated metalcore. When I was just getting into metal, it seemed like metalcore was all there was, as far as new stuff goes. To me, Atreyu seemed like the kind of band that My Chemical Romance fans would listen to if they wanted something "heavy." Sure, perhaps that doesn't apply to a band like Lamb of God, who I'm not a fan of, but that's one of the reasons why I hated the genre. It just seemed like the Warped Tour bands with breakdowns and bad screaming. This is why I just stuck to old school metal until I found my way. To each, their own.
16.12.2013 - 10:40
Uldreth
Written by DyingWorld on 15.12.2013 at 20:42

I always hated metalcore. When I was just getting into metal, it seemed like metalcore was all there was, as far as new stuff goes. To me, Atreyu seemed like the kind of band that My Chemical Romance fans would listen to if they wanted something "heavy." Sure, perhaps that doesn't apply to a band like Lamb of God, who I'm not a fan of, but that's one of the reasons why I hated the genre. It just seemed like the Warped Tour bands with breakdowns and bad screaming. This is why I just stuck to old school metal until I found my way. To each, their own.

Atreyu is hardly a representative of metalcore.

This band however...
08.01.2014 - 20:14
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I'm probably generalizing, but I think people on here probably hate metalcore because they believe it stands against the whole "'masculine" and "underground" image that is personified through genres like death and thrash metal. It's seen as poppy, trendy, lacking of substance, and threatens the "badass" image that metal heads in general feel the need to preserve and maintain as their own. I still don't really care for metalcore , but I'm not going to go out of my way to hate someone just because they like it, I want to be more tolerant of other people's tastes.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
22.02.2014 - 04:59
I own a couple of Converge CDs and Botch are one of my favorite bands, most people who hate metalcore usually don't have much experiance with hardcore music anyways. I mean yea a lot of metalcore these days is scene crap but some of the older stuff is really good.
Written by Guest on 30.11.2011 at 20:12

Dude are you like 12? Breakdowns have been used by bands, since forever really. Bands like Death and Slayer used them. As for "emo shit", well emo is a subgenre of indie with roots in hardcore punk, it's actually a favorite genre of mine. Some great emo bands are Sunny Day Real Estate, American Football, and Mineral. Screamo has nothing to with metal either, here's some actual screamo.
04.04.2014 - 13:04
Uldreth
Written by AtDawnTheySquee on 22.02.2014 at 04:59

Dude are you like 12? Breakdowns have been used by bands, since forever really. Bands like Death and Slayer used them. As for "emo shit", well emo is a subgenre of indie with roots in hardcore punk, it's actually a favorite genre of mine. Some great emo bands are Sunny Day Real Estate, American Football, and Mineral. Screamo has nothing to with metal either, here's some actual screamo.

Yeah, considering he bashed breakdowns cause they are not hard to play but at the same time he likes 80s hardcore which was again absolutely simple musically shows he is talking bs, plus the rest of his argument consists of trying to crap on metalcore vocals for no discernible reason other than he doesn't like them (I am not a vocalist but I seriously don't think screaming is easier than growls) and then comes the "looks" fallacy and the "not-knowing-what-emo-is" fallacy, although that post is quite old.

And yes, most people who hate on metalcore as a whole has no clue about hardcore music at all.
Most of the arguments against the genre can be summed up as either trying to portray poppy bands as the standard of the genre or complaining about using a different musical ethos, as if angular stop-start riffing instead of chord progressions were somehow objectively worse and the lack of guitar soloes amounted to anything (I tend to really hate soloes these days, sometimes they are good, but most of the time it is pointless wankery that just breaks songs and not in a good way).

Although not related to the debates in this thread, I also find it really funny how some people are so vehemently opposed to calling metalcore metal, even though they fully accept post-metal as metal, but the two genres before 2000 were pretty much the same and post-2000, post-metal became LESS metal and metalcore became MORE metal. Sense, it does not make .
21.06.2014 - 22:02
JayMo4
I don't mind whether people like or hate metalcore, but what doesn't make sense to me is when people love melodic death metal and hate metalcore. So much of those bands walk such a narrow line between one genre or the other that it's hard even to tell the difference. Often, I think what makes one band metalcore and one melodeath is that the former is from the US and the latter Sweden.

Then you really start to realize how silly it all is when even bad melodeath is almost guaranteed to get rated in the high 7's and up on metalstorm (it seems like there are hundreds of melodeath albums rated in the 8's that are nothing at all special to me,) and even the best metalcore albums are lucky to get anywhere near an 8. Don't get me wrong, I understand when the trendy bro-core stuff is a turn-off. But that hardly describes the entire metalcore genre.
24.06.2014 - 11:44
Ganondox
Written by JayMo4 on 21.06.2014 at 22:02

I don't mind whether people like or hate metalcore, but what doesn't make sense to me is when people love melodic death metal and hate metalcore. So much of those bands walk such a narrow line between one genre or the other that it's hard even to tell the difference. Often, I think what makes one band metalcore and one melodeath is that the former is from the US and the latter Sweden.

Then you really start to realize how silly it all is when even bad melodeath is almost guaranteed to get rated in the high 7's and up on metalstorm (it seems like there are hundreds of melodeath albums rated in the 8's that are nothing at all special to me,) and even the best metalcore albums are lucky to get anywhere near an 8. Don't get me wrong, I understand when the trendy bro-core stuff is a turn-off. But that hardly describes the entire metalcore genre.

I don't go around hating on metalcore, but melodeath just sounds better to me, both the clean and screamed vocals sound less ridiculous, and there is more melody and less chugging. I like some metalcore, and it's by no means my least favorite metal genre, but it's not my favorite.
01.07.2014 - 07:28
Guib
Thrash Talker
Frankly I don't hate metalcore at all... the only thing I dislike about it, is the crowd hardcore-dancing during live shows. That's it.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
01.07.2014 - 10:01
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by deadone on 01.07.2014 at 08:47

Written by Guib on 01.07.2014 at 07:28

Frankly I don't hate metalcore at all... the only thing I dislike about it, is the crowd hardcore-dancing during live shows. That's it.

We started getting that stupid hardcore dancing at Death Metal shows about 10 years ago. One of the things that stopped me going to the pit.

I once elbowed some dickhead in the gut who tried that shit with me. Then security took him out.

I see, well frankly I'm surprised you had that during a DM show. Well there's places for that thing they do... and Death Metal gigs are not among them.
Sorry for you.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
02.07.2014 - 08:04
no one
Account deleted
There was a big hardcore/metalcore scene in nz a while back. I used to get drunk and hassle the straight edge kids.......mman i was soo coool!

I used to go to there gigs because they would always play alongside punk bands. The pit would usually part and individuals would take turns going in the middle doing there hardcore dance moves.

Was pretty funny really, but they were all very passionate i'll give them that