Metal Storm logo
Why do people hate metalcore?

Original post

Posted by patrickmetal12, 21.12.2010 - 18:54
A friend of mine asked my why i hated metal core and all those other weird -core bands out there.
I really dislike like the music they make. I want to be able explain why it is hated so much.
enlighten me (and everyone who comes across this topic)
01.02.2011 - 19:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 31.01.2011 at 11:45

I don't hate Metalcore, i just hate bands like "BFMV" and "A7X" which they make me puke with thier clean pop annoying voice that's not metal!.

My favorite Metalcore band will be Black Bomb A, from france.

same with me, when i see bands that just record the same shit every album and make millions of dollars it makes me really angry, because there are bands that really deserve to make millions, but are still stuck driving their moms Jetta to the gig

My favourite metalcore band is either shadows fall or Baptized in blood (although the more towards melodic deth)
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.02.2011 - 00:44
Slayer666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.01.2011 at 01:56

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 30.01.2011 at 16:33

Metal core is all into taking money ....
There are few exceptions....

Metalcore = Norwegian black metal at the end of the day. Both are within the metal spectrum, bands of both genres sell their material in order to make money (most of which is used to produce more material), and both genre's primary markets are teenagers and young adults.

You're right! Of course, how did I not see it before?! Because when Darkthrone recorded "A Blaze In The Northern Sky", when Mayhem recorded "Deathcrush", Immortal "Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism" and all those other chart-topping hits, I bet they were all thinking: "Hellyeah, this one is gonna make us RICH and drowning in hot pussy!".
That's why it all had such crappy production and was limited to a 1000 copies at the very most! It all makes sense now.
02.02.2011 - 01:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 02.02.2011 at 00:44

*sarcastic post*

Obviously they weren't thinking they'll make money, but they wouldn't have put a price on their music if they didn't feel the need to be compensated financially for their efforts.

Just because metalcore is typically more polished doesn't mean the musicians are looking for money any more than musicians in any other genre.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.02.2011 - 09:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

You're right! Of course, how did I not see it before?! Because when Darkthrone recorded "A Blaze In The Northern Sky", when Mayhem recorded "Deathcrush", Immortal "Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism" and all those other chart-topping hits, I bet they were all thinking: "Hellyeah, this one is gonna make us RICH and drowning in hot pussy!".
That's why it all had such crappy production and was limited to a 1000 copies at the very most! It all makes sense now.

All those albums you just mentioned weren't limited at all
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2011 - 12:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Boxcar Willy on 01.02.2011 at 19:26
My favourite metalcore band is either shadows fall or Baptized in blood (although the more towards melodic deth)

Shadows Fall have always frustrated me. They have some really great songs, but are also amazingly inconsistent with the quality of their material. Still, they are one of only a tiny amount of metalcore bands who have made stuff that I've genuinely enjoyed. xD

@Marcel's post: haha!
03.02.2011 - 00:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2011 at 09:41

I'm pretty sure ABITNS was limited in its initial release as a vinyl LP through Peaceville. I bought Until the Light Takes Us and Gylve mentions it being limited at first, although it's obviously gone on to be re-released several times.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.02.2011 - 10:58
Slayer666

Oh, poo, you've totally murdered my point now.
03.02.2011 - 11:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.02.2011 at 00:42

I'm pretty sure ABITNS was limited in its initial release as a vinyl LP through Peaceville. I bought Until the Light Takes Us and Gylve mentions it being limited at first, although it's obviously gone on to be re-released several times.

Only the vinyl was limited NOT the cd. The white disc cd was limited to 3000 but the black disc cd wasn't. Remember that ALL vinyl at that stage was hugely limited if possible to get hold of at all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2011 - 12:11
Bond Of Blood
Account deleted

Deathcrush was limited to 1000 copies, and was not re-Released until 93
12.02.2011 - 23:27
Void_Eater
Account deleted

Funny how you're complaining about bands being in it for money, yet you use a Dimmu Borgir album cover as an avatar

Oh, and hating on a style of music and not knowing why? That's as much trend following as those teenagers who blindly love all things core to impress their br00tal friends.
15.02.2011 - 10:57
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 12.02.2011 at 23:27

Funny how you're complaining about bands being in it for money, yet you use a Dimmu Borgir album cover as an avatar

Oh, and hating on a style of music and not knowing why? That's as much trend following as those teenagers who blindly love all things core to impress their br00tal friends.

Relax, it's another generalization made by another ignorant person. There's cash grabbing bands in every genre, people are disillusioned enough to think their favourite genre is devoid of cash-grabbing.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.02.2011 - 21:24
ANGEL REAPER

I dont like new dimmu Borgir ...however I do like this album cover ....
BTW That is my answer on question "why people hate ..."..I dont hate anything ,just this core stuff is not my kind of stuff ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
16.02.2011 - 02:55
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 15.02.2011 at 21:24

BTW That is my answer on question "why people hate ..."..I dont hate anything ,just this core stuff is not my kind of stuff ...

It is a great cover. Besides, I like new Satyricon and Cradle of Filth, so Its not my place to judge you on this.
16.02.2011 - 03:00
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Guest on 16.02.2011 at 02:55

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 15.02.2011 at 21:24

It is a great cover. Besides, I like new Satyricon and Cradle of Filth, so Its not my place to judge you on this.

and yes this new dimmu borgir is not what it used to be.....
I dont judge you,you dont judge me = we're cool....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
16.02.2011 - 03:08
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Doc G. on 15.02.2011 at 10:57

Relax, it's another generalization made by another ignorant person. There's cash grabbing bands in every genre, people are disillusioned enough to think their favourite genre is devoid of cash-grabbing.

And yes Dimmu Borgir are sellouts ....As the rest 90% of so called mainstream metal ....
sorry,I didnt meant to sound like hypocrite,I merely DIDNT WANT TO GENERALIZE THE MATTER ....
I WAS JUST GIVING THE ANSWER ON THREAD'S QUESTION ,STATING MY OPINION ON WHY PEOPLE HATE...
I DONT HATE IT,END OF STORY...
Can you understand what am i saying or you are just ignorant fanboy ?
BTW : I agree with you on the " cash-grabbing" opinion
----
16.02.2011 - 03:15
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 16.02.2011 at 03:08

And yes Dimmu Borgir are sellouts ....As the rest 90% of so called mainstream metal ....
sorry,I didnt meant to sound like hypocrite,I merely DIDNT WANT TO GENERALIZE THE MATTER ....
I WAS JUST GIVING THE ANSWER ON THREAD'S QUESTION ,STATING MY OPINION ON WHY PEOPLE HATE...

Calm down. I understand what you mean now. Perhaps, for future reference, if you're going to post something that could be taken as an attack on an entire genre, a more in depth explanation would help you from being misunderstood.

Quote:
I merely DIDNT WANT TO GENERALIZE THE MATTER

Funny, because that's exactly what you did.

Also, I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy. There is a lot of metalcore I like, and I believe it gets a bad wrap because of a lot of shitty bands. But as a whole I wouldn't consider myself an expert on the genre by any stretch.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.02.2011 - 03:19
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Doc G. on 16.02.2011 at 03:15

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 16.02.2011 at 03:08

Calm down. I understand what you mean now. Perhaps, for future reference, if you're going to post something that could be taken as an attack on an entire genre, a more in depth explanation would help you from being misunderstood.

Quote:
I merely DIDNT WANT TO GENERALIZE THE MATTER

Funny, because that's exactly what you did.

Also, I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy. There is a lot of metalcore I like, and I believe it gets a bad wrap because of a lot of shitty bands. But as a whole I wouldn't consider myself an expert on the genre by any stretch.

#1 sorry its my mistake for such "spartan"post...but i was teach to always answer "laconic"-short,military short
#2same for me,except im not in -core stuff ,but there is always bands i like ,and i dont like (and that is not a matter of genre,but taste )
----
16.02.2011 - 13:28
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I simply dont enjoy this kind of music...and i dont like the bands' appearance
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

16.02.2011 - 13:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ellrohir on 16.02.2011 at 13:28
and i dont like the bands' appearance

That's a total non-issue, or it should be.
16.02.2011 - 13:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Why? they have chosen some kind of appearance to represent some ideals of their own (or it is just because they are posers, hm?)...they have to accept and get along with the fact, this will be discouraging people who arent with such "ideals"...
----

16.02.2011 - 14:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ellrohir on 16.02.2011 at 13:58

Why? they have chosen some kind of appearance to represent some ideals of their own (or it is just because they are posers, hm?)...they have to accept and get along with the fact, this will be discouraging people who arent with such "ideals"...

No, Im sorry, I don't agree with that at all. You have to look and dress a certain way in order to "be metal"? Please. Its people who think that, who are the posers.

Ironically, I just saw an interview yesterday with Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse who was talking about how a lot of metal bands now don't look the way they used to. With the typical "metalhead" appearance. And that how they looked didn't matter as long as they made good metal. And I completely agree with him. A band's appearance should have no bearing on their music is judged. Only posers allow superficial, non-musical elements to come into it when judging a band.
16.02.2011 - 17:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.02.2011 at 14:12

Written by Ellrohir on 16.02.2011 at 13:58

No, Im sorry, I don't agree with that at all. You have to look and dress a certain way in order to "be metal"? Please. Its people who think that, who are the posers.

Ironically, I just saw an interview yesterday with Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse who was talking about how a lot of metal bands now don't look the way they used to. With the typical "metalhead" appearance. And that how they looked didn't matter as long as they made good metal. And I completely agree with him. A band's appearance should have no bearing on their music is judged. Only posers allow superficial, non-musical elements to come into it when judging a band.

This reminds me of the brief anecdote from Varg (while in prison). He was mentioning how he and Fenriz were eating corn flakes in the Helvete record shop, and these "heavy metal" guys came in - all dressed up with leather and spikes and denim, because they thought they had to "look" "heavy metal".

He said he and Fenriz (and the rest of the group they were talking with) just went silent and tried to ignore the guys because they "didn't want to get to know them".

I know it's ironic because he's taken press photos with weapons and shit and Fenriz dawns the corpse paint, but at the end of the day the message is clear: all these "true metal" musicians we talk about don't give a shit if some "mallcore" band wears skinny jeans and Converse shoes with death metal band t-shirts (when they don't play death metal) and straighten their hair and stretch their ears...

If they play their style right, if they become famous because of their sound (regardless of the trend behind the scene), they've done their job, and for all anyone cares they could be wearing a wife-beater and their boxers with loafers.
----
16.02.2011 - 17:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
You definitely dont have to dress "metal way", you should see me and my typical clothing some day, but if you dress and look like emo fagot, you must count with the danger, someone would despise you because of that...

to say it shortly: it isnt about how you should look like, but it is about how you shouldnt look like...
----

16.02.2011 - 21:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ellrohir on 16.02.2011 at 17:30

...but if you dress and look like emo fagot...
...it isnt about how you should look like, but it is about how you shouldnt look like...

Man, I thought there were enough music trolls as it is, now we have fashion and sexual orientation trolls on this site?

People are free to dress and look and think however they like. In fact, I hope more people continue to dress like "emo faggots" in spite of people like you who think it's such a travesty.
----
16.02.2011 - 21:50
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Here we are again with the issue "what people can" contra "what i can think about them"...their free will to dress "like emo faggots", my free will to think about them they are...
----

16.02.2011 - 23:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

but if you dress and look like emo fagot,

it's funny you use a gay slur in the course of discussing metal modes of dress considering the metal image of leather and spikes was launched by a homosexual man who picked up his stage wardrobe at S&M leatherdaddy shops.

----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.02.2011 - 00:03
Sonic MrSumo
What a futile topic.

I don't see the point in creating a thread with the primary objective of shitting all over an entire genre.

Some people like Metalcore, other people dislike Metalcore. Some people like Funeral Doom, other people dislike Funeral Doom.

Move on...
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
17.02.2011 - 00:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 16.02.2011 at 23:15

but if you dress and look like emo fagot,

it's funny you use a gay slur in the course of discussing metal modes of dress considering the metal image of leather and spikes was launched by a homosexual man who picked up his stage wardrobe at S&M leatherdaddy shops.

Thank you - for some reason a more logical response wouldn't come to me!

+1 for that picture by the way. He's the man.

^ totally an emo faggot :
----
17.02.2011 - 00:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Give me a choice between Halford in his leather suit and this guy and i'll tell you what i would choose...

anyway, i made a statement about what is my problem with metalcore and suddenly a number of people try hard to convince me i am wrong...how can i be "wrong" about my personal tastes and feelings? and second question - what exactly do you expect to hear from here - "ok, guys, you are right, i am reconsidering my opinion and i am liking metalcore from now on"
----

17.02.2011 - 00:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 17.02.2011 at 00:03

What a futile topic.

I don't see the point in creating a thread with the primary objective of shitting all over an entire genre.

Some people like Metalcore, other people dislike Metalcore. Some people like Funeral Doom, other people dislike Funeral Doom.

Move on...

The point of the thread is for enlightenment. It was created in order to gain an understanding behind the reasons for "so many people" hating on what seem people refuse to call a sub-genre of heavy metal.

It's more than just:
"Why do you hate black metal?"
"Because Satanists are gay!"

It's a thread for users to discuss more in-depth reasons for disliking the genre. One could and should be made for all genres, as the simple "tastes differ" argument is simply conversation-ending.
----