09. Demiurge
10. The Last Vigil

The best Djent / Math Metal album of 2012

Additional info
Release dates:

March 23: Germany
March 26: rest of Europe
March 27: North America

Koloss will be released as a CD digi, limited edition Magic Cube (CD digi plus DVD exclusive to Nuclear Blast mail-order) and two-LP brown vinyl.

Guest review by
flightoficarus
Rating:
The most common complaint I hear about Meshuggah, from the monotone vocals to the djent-spawning guitar crunch, is repetitiveness. It is true that a passing listen yields a surface-level of uniformity that some may find unappealing. However, there was an interview with the band stating something that has stuck with me: every instrument is treated as percussion. Considering this fact helped everything resonate on a deeper level with me. The drums, of course, are technical beyond measure with their polyrhythms and constant changes, but the guitars and the vocal cadence are given equal attention in their meticulous placement within the time signatures. Nothing is left to chance with Meshuggah.

Read more ››
published 23.04.2015 | Comments (8)

Found in 54 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 66   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 1368 users
20.01.2011 - 07:21
Mechanist
Account deleted
Yiah.
21.01.2011 - 13:53
Twisted Zoul
Ones again it's time to bow for the godz
09.02.2011 - 04:16
Leliel
OK ... waiting for Octoberfest !!! AHAHAHAHA
----
Look At Me ... I'm Alive !!!
20.02.2011 - 09:37
3rdWorldFuckFace
Account deleted
The band that spawned
a hundred copycats.........
a whole new genre (djent)..........
thousands of forums on metal drumming...........
is back in 2011 with a new album?????????? Thank u God!
09.03.2011 - 18:26
Rating: 7
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
October eh? i can ask for it for my bday!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.08.2011 - 01:34
Rating: 8
infernaldeath87
CAN'T WAIT.
30.08.2011 - 01:16
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Its like Fuck Yeahhhhh!!!
10.12.2011 - 21:18
Rating: 4
theFIST
Hopefully the"ll speed up a bit
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
18.01.2012 - 03:33
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Can't wait for this!!!
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

02.02.2012 - 15:41
johnniepop
Can't wait to hear it, and later see them live in Sofia on 3rd of June
11.02.2012 - 03:31
sandisrd
This will be another heart braking MASTERPIECE from MESHUGGAH boys!...
14.02.2012 - 00:01
Rating: 6
Rulatore
Fuck, the artwork is just amazing, hope the album will be too

Edit: This is better be good, already ordered the t-shirt the art is amazing
11.03.2012 - 09:02
3rdWorld
China was a neat
From what i've seen in samples,Gonna be very meh... for me. So they chose to ignore the progression outside their walls, and stick to their guns ?? And slowed down, making an organic and heavy record?? Clearly, not MESHUGGAH enough for me.
13.03.2012 - 02:28
Rulatore
Written by 3rdWorld on 11.03.2012 at 09:02

From what i've seen in samples,Gonna be very meh... for me.

Same here... as one said, when they play fast it's good, otherwise, almost all the times is boring
14.03.2012 - 15:45
sandisrd
Many complain about ''boring, slow tones'' sound!, listening only samples and already making they judgment!, well for fact that even song ''Do not look down, The demon's name is surveillance utt!'' sounds so promising (technically step forward), still makes people doubt!. One thing in matter of fact what people can't ignore is that ''Koloss'' WILL be a groove and organic as ''Meshuggah'' predicted!.:)
Each song speak for herself, possible this album will be my favorite ''Meshuggah'' release yet!, and of course THIS MUSIC IS NOT FOR EVERYONE!, so lets keep are involuntary thought for ourselves and make are final judgment on release not unnecessarily speculate about things what we don't know!...;)
15.03.2012 - 22:37
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I really hope they bring out an album that knocked my socks off like the did back in 1998 - "Chaosphere" is still one of my most loved albums, never ages or gets boring! Wasnt too fond of "Obzen" - "Pineal Gland Optics" and "Bleed" were sweet but the rest sort of it didnt gel with me. From what Ive heard so far theyve slowed down again "Nothing"-style (which is my least favorite Meshuggah album) - just too fucking slow.

Really hoping it turns out great, if not then I will just carry on listening to "Vildhjarta" - those guys are really on a different level!
19.03.2012 - 22:12
Rulatore
Just finished the album, it was like I expected, only few standouts and the rest is too slow ( too boring ). Definitely cant get into this band/genre.

Highlights: Do Not Look Down, The Hurt That Finds You First ( in the end gets boring ), Marrow ( best track on the record, really good ), Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion ( it could be shorter, but ok ).

My opinion
19.03.2012 - 22:55
sandisrd
Well there is no room for compromise!, this is another masterpiece from instrumental masters Meshuggah!?
On Koloss you will find heart ripping tones with master mind lead guitarist Fredrik phenomenon sounds!, if you really want to threat yourself with overwhelming metal treasure!, than don't hesitated anymore and BUY not DOWNLOAD!, buy original CD!?Koloss without doubt is worth to be in you shelves!?
19.03.2012 - 23:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Rulatore on 19.03.2012 at 22:12

Just finished the album, it was like I expected, only few standouts and the rest is too slow ( too boring ). Definitely cant get into this band/genre.

Highlights: Do Not Look Down, The Hurt That Finds You First ( in the end gets boring ), Marrow ( best track on the record, really good ), Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion ( it could be shorter, but ok ).

My opinion

That's odd, apart from Marrow which is pretty good the other songs you mentioned are amongst the tracks I found weakest. I Am Colossus (mainly for excellent vocal performance), Behind The Sun (the second half is probably my favourite part of the album) and Marrow (which you can practically dance to) were the stand out tracks for me I think. Not sure about Swarm and Demiurge yet (Demiurge seems ok), my mind went a bit blank when they came on. On the whole not a hugely impressive album though.
21.03.2012 - 21:42
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Holy hell Marrow is such a killer track, shame the rest of the songs aren't really sticking yet. I mean the music isn't bad, but I just find my attention waning after a few minutes. I like me some Meshuggah, but I don't know about this. Seems very "Bleed" oriented... hoping it's a grower.
22.03.2012 - 00:45
Rating: 10
Chino
Awesome!!!!! :banger::banger:
22.03.2012 - 14:02
pisymbol
Written by Guest on 19.03.2012 at 23:33

On the whole not a hugely impressive album though.

On first listen, I initially thought the same. But now I have the opposite view point after getting my head (ears?) around this album:

What's interesting is their track placement totally confounds me and I believe might be the weakest aspect of the album. Its hard for me to get comfortable with the album when they change it up track after track. For instance, the first track, I Am Colossus, has a tempered groove throughout it with a "slow-and-steady wins the race" progression that builds and builds, takes off, and then resets itself. Only to be followed by a Meshuggahisque fugue in The Devil's Name Is Surveillance, where there are several melodies built on top of a single rhythmic pattern. Then back to slow and steady groove albeit a bit boring at times with Do Not Look Down (probably the weakest track on the whole album though it does exude a menacing groove).

Highlights: I Am Colossus, The Devil's Name Is Surveillance, Marrow, Swarm (this single track will go down as one of their all time greats, btw I am a hobbyist beekeeper, trust me), and Demiurge

This album is a lot stronger than obZen.
22.03.2012 - 22:12
sandisrd
Written by anus on 22.03.2012 at 17:35

I'm very dissapointed with this album. I expected more from Meshuggah

You can be very disappointed on yourself!, this is a masterpiece for you to enlighten yourself!...
22.03.2012 - 22:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by sandisrd on 22.03.2012 at 22:12

You can be very disappointed on yourself!, this is a masterpiece for you to enlighten yourself!...

Compared to Destroy Erase Improve, Nothing and Catch 33 this has a long way to go to reach masterpiece territory. Now excuse me while I go be disappointed all down myself...
23.03.2012 - 00:38
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by pisymbol on 22.03.2012 at 14:02

Written by Guest on 19.03.2012 at 23:33

On the whole not a hugely impressive album though.

On first listen, I initially thought the same. But now I have the opposite view point after getting my head (ears?) around this album:

What's interesting is their track placement totally confounds me and I believe might be the weakest aspect of the album. Its hard for me to get comfortable with the album when they change it up track after track. For instance, the first track, I Am Colossus, has a tempered groove throughout it with a "slow-and-steady wins the race" progression that builds and builds, takes off, and then resets itself. Only to be followed by a Meshuggahisque fugue in The Devil's Name Is Surveillance, where there are several melodies built on top of a single rhythmic pattern. Then back to slow and steady groove albeit a bit boring at times with Do Not Look Down (probably the weakest track on the whole album though it does exude a menacing groove).

Highlights: I Am Colossus, The Devil's Name Is Surveillance, Marrow, Swarm (this single track will go down as one of their all time greats, btw I am a hobbyist beekeeper, trust me), and Demiurge

This album is a lot stronger than obZen.

That really sums it up nicely, been listening to it a bit more... quite hypnotic actually. Found some of the tracks like Swarm and Demiurge started to grow on me.
23.03.2012 - 08:45
Rating: 8
BugVommit
Definitely an album that grows on you... Especially if you are in the right mood for it!
23.03.2012 - 20:14
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Definitely better than Obzen...but is it just me or is this perhaps the least complex Meshuggah album ever released? Very straightforward, theres hardly any mind-bending timings - Haake will play this shit live without breaking a sweat!

Good album though, a bit more accessible I think, but some decent songs. Nothing mind-blowing yet, but like the above poster said, this seems to be a grower.
24.03.2012 - 02:57
sandisrd
Written by Guest on 23.03.2012 at 20:14

Definitely better than Obzen...but is it just me or is this perhaps the least complex Meshuggah album ever released? Very straightforward, theres hardly any mind-bending timings - Haake will play this shit live without breaking a sweat!

Good album though, a bit more accessible I think, but some decent songs. Nothing mind-blowing yet, but like the above poster said, this seems to be a grower.

Applause to a true and honest man thoughts!!!...I'm think the same!, this album is a true art without any doubts!...
24.03.2012 - 12:57
BaZaH
Account deleted
They have once again raised the bar for heavy.
24.03.2012 - 23:17
Rulatore
Written by Guest on 23.03.2012 at 20:14

but is it just me or is this perhaps the least complex Meshuggah album ever released? Very straightforward, theres hardly any mind-bending timings - Haake will play this shit live without breaking a sweat!

I'm not an expert in this thing, but 'Marrow' seems pretty technical and hard to play ( drums part at least ), but dont know, this is me

and I prefer more their straightforward/fast songs than those boring-pseudo-complex-song structures ( still I dont like all the faster songs )

Hits total: 28289 | This month: 52