06. An Infinite Mind
07. Watcher Of The Skies
08. The Distance
09. Deep Cold

Top 20 albums of 2011: 5

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
I know, very few albums deserve the rating you can see on the left, but trust me, I could only think of two or three more that would. Omnium Gatherum have showed me another dimension of metal music that is both strange and awesome. New World Shadows cannot be compared to other bands or albums. Of course I could name a few out of the melodic death and gothenburg genre, but even if I would, one could not even think of how this record sounds like. People have to listen to it, there is no other way to explain the music, since it is that complex and original. Hailing from Finland, Omnium Gatherum created their final breakthrough with New World Shadows, a nine-song album that runs for about 52 minutes.

Read more ››
published 07.05.2011 | Comments (32)

Found in 90 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 117   Visited by: 2106 users
25.05.2011 - 20:02
Rating: 10
Spacerunner
It's not the kind of music that you can listen to in any mood at any time. It has a very special atmosphere and demands appropriate emotional background. But when it's there this album is one of the best musical journeys of past years.
27.05.2011 - 19:20
Megi
There are bands that aim to play at a thousand notes per second and become video game icons. There are bands that decide to create something so obscure that even recording a guitar part at Open F# 1/4th tuning while eating a corpse in a submarine is average joe, and still doesn't get them that perfect tone. There are bands that hire the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, New Zealand Mawa Aboriginal Percussionists and that dude who played clarinet in middle school for their 89 minute opuses that current technology can't even store on their hard drive.
Then there is bands that plug in and just make music. Omnium Gatherum is one such band. This album isn't overrated, it's getting the praise it deserves. New World Shadows proves that all you need is a guitar, bass, and keys here and there to sound absolutely huge. I think what makes this album tick is just its raw emotion, and passion in the playing. People can tell the difference between art and wankery. Completely agree with Spacerunner, this album really has a unique atmosphere. The word that pops into my head is "hope". Good stuff
04.06.2011 - 00:18
Absolutely incredible.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
07.06.2011 - 00:08
Saeed_p
11.06.2011 - 01:51
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Saeed_p on 07.06.2011 at 00:08

Unless you're kidding, all I have to say is to your .
11.06.2011 - 02:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff

I'd suggest you reconsider your voting methods, lest someone with more powers than me take a look at your history.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.06.2011 - 23:04
Rating: 7
DevilishSong
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.06.2011 at 02:43

I'd suggest you reconsider your voting methods, lest someone with more powers than me take a look at your history.

Thanks for your warning to him , it's not his first time to do such a stupid voting to the respectable albums. so shame ...
11.06.2011 - 23:40
Rating: 8
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher

what could someone expect from STUPID people? i hope he'll be banned to death soon!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
12.06.2011 - 00:12
Saeed_p
Written by Deadmeat on 11.06.2011 at 23:40

what could someone expect from STUPID people? i hope he'll be banned to death soon!

lol i had to notice that metalstorm have a lot of intrusive and fool members like you !!!! sorry
it was my own opinion guys and of course i dont care about your nonsenses!!!
please be a bit logic that you receive nothing if you try to support the bands!!! do you? think about it and be honest.
12.06.2011 - 00:36
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Saeed_p on 12.06.2011 at 00:12

lol i had to notice that metalstorm have a lot of intrusive and fool members like you !!!! sorry
please be a bit logic that you receive nothing if you try to support the bands!!! do you? think about it and be honest.

i've not even listened to this band so i am not willing to support them. my point is that you are the stupid-fool here who wants to see his fav albums on top and votes nice albums with 10 and those he doesnt like only with "1". if you are not doing this for this reason then you are even more stupid if you cannot even judge just a bit logically what you dont like...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
12.06.2011 - 01:06
Saeed_p
Written by Deadmeat on 12.06.2011 at 00:36

Written by Saeed_p on 12.06.2011 at 00:12

i've not even listened to this band so i am not willing to support them. my point is that you are the stupid-fool here who wants to see his fav albums on top and votes nice albums with 10 and those he doesnt like only with "1". if you are not doing this for this reason then you are even more stupid if you cannot even judge just a bit logically what you dont like...

Wow now c'mon go there and pick the cup up!!!
i didn't know how idler u would be!!! and searching for clues to answer me!
listen bum ; skiddoo!!! it didnt related to you... AND i dont like you to have a lot time to listen albums all long day and night ; ive got more great tasks in my life and dont wanna waste my time with the fools anyway.
So plz shut your spacious mouth and sit on your belt!
12.06.2011 - 01:11
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Saeed_p on 12.06.2011 at 01:06

listen bum ; skiddoo!!! it didnt related to you... AND i dont like you to have a lot time to listen albums all long day and night ; ive got more great tasks in my life and dont wanna waste my time with the fools anyway.

well you stupid bitch i didnt relate TO you either. i tried to answer to you ina serious way in order to make a discussion but your stupidity won so go vote everything you dont like with "1" and i dont give a shit. the forums have been created for discussion and you dont seem adequate enough to do this so.....
----
12.06.2011 - 10:35
Rating: 7
DevilishSong
Written by Deadmeat on 12.06.2011 at 01:11

Written by Saeed_p on 12.06.2011 at 01:06

well you stupid bitch i didnt relate TO you either. i tried to answer to you ina serious way in order to make a discussion but your stupidity won so go vote everything you dont like with "1" and i dont give a shit. the forums have been created for discussion and you dont seem adequate enough to do this so.....

leave this stupid kid alone , he didn't even understand what you said , i hope , as Troy said , if he wouldn't change this childish behavior , Moderators will take a good decision about him.
12.06.2011 - 11:11
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by DevilishSong on 12.06.2011 at 10:35

he didn't even understand what you said ,

unfortunately you are right...
----
13.06.2011 - 06:10
Pyramid God
I've only heard a few songs but a 1 for this album is a joke vote.
13.06.2011 - 19:53
Rating: 9
Hughes
Troll is always a troll
14.06.2011 - 19:01
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Don't know why everyone is pulling down on the album, it's one of the strongest efforts this year. Even if they are remained in the overused Gothenburg-style melodic death they have got some new to show, and that is very admirable. It takes interest from the from the first seconds if you have the time and mood for it. If you know their previous works it can be also found out that they are writing their songs in one big concept (songs with "flame") or some older melodies have continuations in their new songs (eg. Just Signs -> The Distance). NWS is a huge piece of the puzzle.
----
16.06.2011 - 17:04
Spacerunner
Yes, turisas13, tyrturisas88, $hark - the same user, rated "1" three times. What a childish behavior.
21.06.2011 - 11:28
calebSA
I heve reported 1's as spam.. As you can se NWS is on the top again
21.06.2011 - 13:24
Vonpire
Written by calebSA on 21.06.2011 at 11:28

Wow, didn't knew we could do that

Nice shit|
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
21.06.2011 - 17:38
Yugosaki
Great
----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEBpRWr2IA
21.06.2011 - 21:03
JÄY
Metal slave
Finally gave this a serious listen...its so pretty that its a little hard for me to get into....but the writing is great and with a quick hit of the skip button on "an infinite mind" im pretty much on board
26.06.2011 - 03:19
Spacerunner
Written by calebSA on 21.06.2011 at 11:28

It's not for a long: p altar, barryomen, Canibalistic, DonSeipel - without a mistake it's the same g(r)eek person))) I think he's someone from Septic Flesh...
No, just kidding)) Love both bands. BTW with septics the same problem. At least three ratings are spam from a guy with email domain "gmx".
11.07.2011 - 20:23
Pankar95
This album is darker and has way more variety in its music most melodeath albums that have come out since the beginning of the genre
25.07.2011 - 20:47
Hughes
Gave it a go again since i need time to get used to brutal vocals on an album and final conclusion is me likes
09.08.2011 - 07:56
Until the End
I can actually order all the songs which I like most to least. 1) The Distance 2) Nova Flame 3) Ego 4) Soul Journeys 5) New World Shadows 6) Everfields 7) Deep Cold 8) Watcher of the Skies 9) An Infinite Mind.

From that you'll be able to tell I don't like the more progressive aspects of the music which 'An Infinite Mind' seems to contain a lot of. That song in particular goes a little too slow and drags on a smidge for my liking.

The pacier, more "melo-death" sounding songs are real pleasers though. I wouldn't mind seeing 'The Distance' or 'Ego' live, my neck would get sore pretty quick. And to speed up that 'Just Signs' riff heard in 'The Distance' was absolute genius.

Finally, I don't really believe the album justifies a 10, I don't think any album does but you can't give 9.5 so I had to round it up.
21.09.2011 - 19:38
Album is f***ing incredible screw everyone who bogged down the rating on this one.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
10.10.2011 - 23:31
JaimeLeonel
This deserves a 8.6. no more, no less.
Really good and solid album
----
k
26.10.2011 - 21:12
Vikingr
Excellent Melodeth album, definatley head and shoulders above the general pack
02.11.2011 - 19:54
Cyroth
A real easy listen, I found it to be straight forward and enjoyable.
----

Hits total: 40572 | This month: 73