07. In The Mind Of The Last Whale
08. Silence This Parasite
09. A Fading Stance
10. When The Joyful Dead Are Dancing
11. Until Yet A Few More Deaths Do Us Part

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The Montreal-based asylum known as Unexpect broke a 5-year silence after with their new opus Fables From The Sleepless Empire. And the least I can say is that it is a demanding listen. Absolutely insane actually! This is the toughest review I had to write seeing that there is more music to be found on the opening track than on most albums. If any musical label can be applied to these guys, only extreme avant-garde metal would do them somewhat justice. And this is just a snooty way to say I have no clue.

Read more ››
published 12.11.2011 | Comments (16)

Guest review by
chaosscizzors
Rating:
It seems like more often than not whenever the band Unexpect is brought up or I share a song from the band that I always seem to get a lot of the same responses; "It's too random and disjointed" or, since we're on the internet, a blatant "THAT WAS SHIT". For quite a while now I haven't been able to wrap my head around why Unexpect would be seen so negatively by metalheads. I remember one person saying something to the effect of "metal written by insane asylum patients" and my immediate thought is "well that sounds pretty damn metal."

Read more ››
published 14.02.2013 | Comments (4)

Shit got crazy, and I got scared.

Fat & Sassy!'s picks | More picks ››

Found in 35 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 76   Visited by: 906 users
04.04.2011 - 22:03
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Cant fukng wait for this to be released!!! its been a long 5 years...\m/
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

05.04.2011 - 00:35
Rating: 8
zero
I want it so much!!!!
31.05.2011 - 21:22
Rating: 10
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Seriously this has probably been my most anticipated album of the last couple of years and NOW I just happen to broke when its released....
01.06.2011 - 12:45
HateSpark
Had to log in to say THEY DID IT AGAIN ! :O this album is pretty good
01.06.2011 - 19:30
MechanisT
Account deleted
How someone can rate this a 2 is beyond me. Excellent album. "Words" is my pick of the bunch at the moment, although the whole album is a highlight on its own. Great stuff!
01.06.2011 - 19:37
HateSpark
^ he/she probably have tried to expect the unexpected
01.06.2011 - 20:55
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Well it does not sound unexpected... but it's as crazy as before, and that is great
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
01.06.2011 - 21:22
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.06.2011 at 20:55

Well it does not sound unexpected... but it's as crazy as before, and that is great

Actually, I think he's referring to the guy who rated this with a 2, in response to my comment earlier on.
01.06.2011 - 21:32
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Guest on 01.06.2011 at 21:22

Actually, I think he's referring to the guy who rated this with a 2, in response to my comment earlier on.

Oh well, I was just commenting on the album! I did expect some crazy stuff like Unexpect did before, and we totally got that (hence the 'does not sound unexpected')
----

I am awake"
01.06.2011 - 21:34
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.06.2011 at 21:32

Written by Guest on 01.06.2011 at 21:22

Oh well, I was just commenting on the album! I did expect some crazy stuff like Unexpect did before, and we totally got that (hence the 'unexpected')

Indeed we have! I'm totally immersed into its weirdness at the moment!
01.06.2011 - 21:52
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
It's hard to choose between a 9 and a 10 here. I like this better than In A Flesh Aquarium simply because A: it connects to more styles (especially in The Quantum Symphony), B: it is more structured and definitely not as self-indulgent as before, and C: far simpler passages for the listener to absorb (sometimes less is more in this genre). Not as weird as before, but actually a better listen.
01.06.2011 - 22:16
Rating: 8
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I am in awe...
02.06.2011 - 00:13
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
I have just finished the first track and I'm ready to give it a 10 already but cannot justify rating before I'vs listened to this entirely but I cannot see any reason I would rate this any less then 10 at this point. Even just based off the first track and now patrtially into 2nd track I have to completely agree with Daydream Nation on all 3 of his points except of course about Quantum Symphony because I'm not there yet. I am so happy to hear and see though that this past 5 years of waiting for this has not been in waste and vane!!! Definitely been at the top of my anticipated albums list.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

02.06.2011 - 00:21
Evican
Ann O'War
Wow, amazing. I'm going to be listening to this one on repeat for a while.
02.06.2011 - 03:55
Hammer Pie
Very different feel from In a Flesh Aquarium, like a different meal made of similar ingredients. Awesome album.
02.06.2011 - 03:56
Rating: 9
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Yet again, sheer insanity!
02.06.2011 - 08:30
HateSpark
People who rated 2 & 1 seriously need to get a life
02.06.2011 - 09:29
Tetravirulence
Bass pop outs are amazing
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
02.06.2011 - 14:00
Rating: 9
Lasaron
Album of the year!
02.06.2011 - 19:50
HateSpark
After 5 spins my favorite track are " The Unfed Pendulum " , " Orange Vigilantes " and the first track . though all the songs are awesome ! this band is a wonder .
03.06.2011 - 03:34
strade
This is... very challenging.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
03.06.2011 - 17:29
The Voyager
The Table
What is with the 1's here? I mean, come on. If you have some kind of predisposed hatred towards avant-garde music, you probably shouldn't be rating this anyway. And if you're just rating it down so Septicflesh can keep the top spot, then that's pretty childish.
03.06.2011 - 18:11
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Written by The Voyager on 03.06.2011 at 17:29

What is with the 1's here? I mean, come on. If you have some kind of predisposed hatred towards avant-garde music, you probably shouldn't be rating this anyway. And if you're just rating it down so Septicflesh can keep the top spot, then that's pretty childish.

This. You can tell all the 1s are by the same person.
03.06.2011 - 18:32
MechanisT
Account deleted

Indeed. One falls, a million appears.
03.06.2011 - 19:10
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Well, yeah. I think we have two pairs of clone accounts here: TitiAnderson = RobinhodeSouza (same date of creation + similar album collection) and melodicheart = never-lasting (same email server although different state country). + similar voting patterns within each pair...

analysis by K?ulu ©.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
03.06.2011 - 21:16
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite

That's all because the album appeared as first of 2011...
----

I am awake"
04.06.2011 - 04:16
Tesseract91
This is definitely an album that gets better and better each time you listen to it. I need a towel.
Pure masterpiece and easily in my Top 5 for the year.
04.06.2011 - 18:40
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I love this kind of records

First listen: Mind f**k, then with every listen you start to understand the structure of the songs, discovering new things, like passages that seemed ridicolous before etc.

The musicianship is great, and the use of the vocals is remarkable!

This could be easily on the top albums of the year.
04.06.2011 - 20:10
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 03.06.2011 at 19:10

Well, yeah. I think we have two pairs of clone accounts here: TitiAnderson = RobinhodeSouza (same date of creation + similar album collection) and melodicheart = never-lasting (same email server although different state country). + similar voting patterns withing each pair...

analysis by K?ulu ©.

06.06.2011 - 03:33
sasquatch
I had no idea this was coming out. Adds to the list of amazing music that has come out or will come out this year. One song in, amazing.

Hits total: 22490 | This month: 37