01. Natassja In Eternal Sleep
02. Summer Of The Diabolical Holocaust
03. The Dance Of Eternal Shadows
04. Unholy Black Metal
05. To Walk The Infernal Fields
06. Under A Funeral Moon
07. Inn I De Dype Skogers Favn
08. Crossing The Triangle Of Flames

Under a Funeral Moon is the cream in the Oreo of Darkthrone's Peaceville trilogy, a cream that seems to be overlooked by fans - most likely due to the change in ingredients. It's only a slight change, but a change nonetheless. Compared to her siblings, she's the ugly one of the bunch, but definitely the smartest.

Still present is the quintessential Norwegian black metal sound typical of the early '90s, raw and under-produced, but done so in a way that can almost be off-putting... at least, more so than is traditional of black metal's most influential second wave pioneers. The instrumentation is to be expected of a release from this period, with chainsaw-like distorted guitars; a vile, raspy vocal delivery; and extreme blastbeat mayhem.

The difference lies in the unequaled songwriting depth and variation. The songs are twisted, contorted in a way that structurally leaves them sticking out like a sore thumb, honest and uncompromising and disgusting in every aspect. It's a test of will, a test of your listening ability. The organic feel is anything but accessible, and the average listener could experience serious dementia as a result of attempting to digest such corruption.

The strong occult vibe synonymous with early Darkthrone is blatant this time around, relentless in its presence, dragging you into the darkness of a wintry night, so cold in the midnight frost, leaving you in solitude to slip into an eternal rest... a frozen, dying mess. This genuine, honest approach is a challenge to the listener, a challenge to work through the chaos and grit and sift through to reach the light. And the only light present is cast from the mocking moon, casting shadows and playing with your mind until you don't know whether you're dead or alive.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written on 14.01.2012 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 215 users
14.01.2012 - 12:08
VloRD
This was the first black metal album along with mayhem's ordo ad chao I listened to...I also remember dismissing the entire genre as nonsensical, but now its one of my favorite albums of all time...all in the span of one year...

BTW, why did you retire?!?
----
14.01.2012 - 12:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by VloRD on 14.01.2012 at 12:08
This was the first black metal album along with mayhem's ordo ad chao I listened to...I also remember dismissing the entire genre as nonsensical, but now its one of my favorite albums of all time...all in the span of one year...
BTW, why did you retire?!?

Those are an odd first two to listen to, but I understand the process for sure. I remember the first time I listened to black metal I was like... people call this music? And now it's my favorite genre.

As for retiring, I just couldn't handle the workload. And now I have time to review albums like this.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.01.2012 - 13:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This album has needed a review for a while. I once considered doing it but that never happened. I prefer the albums either side of it but it still rocks as an album.
14.01.2012 - 13:18
Rating: 8
vezzy
Stallmanite
To think that this guy proofreads reviews.

Under a Funeral Room.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
14.01.2012 - 13:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 14.01.2012 at 13:18
I prefer the albums either side of it but it still rocks as an album.

Same here but still a very good album.... It has been a while since I listened to their triology. It's under my list of "stuff I know by heart but haven't bought at all even though they are cheap, just out of pure lazyness and thinking about other albums".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2012 - 13:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 14.01.2012 at 13:18

To think that this guy proofreads reviews.

Under a Funeral Room.

It's a pretty boss typo though.
14.01.2012 - 13:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.01.2012 at 13:26

I prefer the albums either side of it but it still rocks as an album.

Same here but still a very good album.... It has been a while since I listened to their triology. It's under my list of "stuff I know by heart but haven't bought at all even though they are cheap, just out of pure lazyness and thinking about other albums".

I think whether or not or how much you like x Darkthrone album is often down purely to how they approached the production on said album. Pretty much a different sound on each, and as it stands I like TH slightly more.
14.01.2012 - 13:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 14.01.2012 at 13:48
I think whether or not or how much you like x Darkthrone album is often down purely to how they approached the production on said album. Pretty much a different sound on each, and as it stands I like TH slightly more.

Exactly, Besides from the production... There aren't many differences at all in the triology when it comes to overall songwriting tbh.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2012 - 16:00
Lokaeda
Account deleted
I find this album better than Transylvanian Hunger (which is not bad). Still, Those two albums are not my favorites in Darkthrone's discography, I prefer Soulside Journey, Hate Them, Dark Thrones & Black Flags which I all find to be more interesting ^^
14.01.2012 - 16:03
RavenKing
This is my favorite Darkthrone album.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.01.2012 - 17:56
Slayer666
Partially disagreed, out of the Peacevile Trilogy, Transilvanian Hunger takes the cake, IMO.
Nice review as usual, though.
14.01.2012 - 18:43
RavenKing
Written by Slayer666 on 14.01.2012 at 17:56

Partially disagreed, out of the Peacevile Trilogy, Transilvanian Hunger takes the cake, IMO.

"Transylvanian Hunger" is a good album and I like it but it has a weakness, Imo: it is repetitive and has almost no variation.
I see this album the same way I see Slayer's "Reign In Blood", as a one-dimensional release.
----
14.01.2012 - 21:30
@gent_-_orange
Nice review, But I think A Blaze in the Northern Sky is still the best from Darkthrone. I just find the songwriting to be at its best on that album.
14.01.2012 - 22:05
Void Eater
Account deleted
The title track to this album I think was the first black metal song I heard. That thrashy riff at around 40 seconds into the song is one of my favorite black metal riffs. Great album, best of Darkthrone.
14.01.2012 - 23:45
Uldreth
Written by RavenKing on 14.01.2012 at 18:43

"Transylvanian Hunger" is a good album and I like it but it has a weakness, Imo: it is repetitive and has almost no variation.
I see this album the same way I see Slayer's "Reign In Blood", as a one-dimensional release.

I kind of agree.

Out of the Peaceville Trilogy, I like Transylvanian Hunger the least.
It is too repetetive and primitive. I don't mind droning or repetetive music at all as evidenced from my like for blackgaze (and atmospheric music in general) however those always have a sort of 'enchanting' quality to it that TH lacks. I think it is also quite overrated, being the 'paragon' black metal album so often.
15.01.2012 - 00:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
This album has needed a review for a while. I once considered doing it but that never happened. I prefer the albums either side of it but it still rocks as an album.

Agreed (which is why I decided to do it in the first place), and agreed (although this album is still boss).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.01.2012 - 00:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by vezzy on 14.01.2012 at 13:18
Under a Funeral Room.

Fixed... and there's no way I can make this out to look like some sort of ironic accident.
----
15.01.2012 - 00:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 14.01.2012 at 16:00
I find this album better than Transylvanian Hunger (which is not bad). Still, Those two albums are not my favorites in Darkthrone's discography, I prefer Soulside Journey, Hate Them, Dark Thrones & Black Flags which I all find to be more interesting ^^

That's an odd mix... usually when you think Darkthrone, you think the Peaceville trilogy.

You fucking un-elitist.
----
15.01.2012 - 00:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 14.01.2012 at 17:56

I actually prefer the ol' Blaze, but TH is still a great album (and slightly better overall than this in my opinion). And thanks.
----
15.01.2012 - 00:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by @gent_-_orange on 14.01.2012 at 21:30
Nice review, But I think A Blaze in the Northern Sky is still the best from Darkthrone. I just find the songwriting to be at its best on that album.

Agreed. The rating here will look like it's my favorite Darkthrone album but this actually sits behind le Blaze and TH for me.

I guess you could say I kinda love the Peaceville trilogy...
----
15.01.2012 - 00:45
@gent_-_orange
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.01.2012 at 00:08

Written by @gent_-_orange on 14.01.2012 at 21:30

Agreed. The rating here will look like it's my favorite Darkthrone album but this actually sits behind le Blaze and TH for me.

I guess you could say I kinda love the Peaceville trilogy...

To me A Blaze is a more "song" based album with the most memorable moments, further through the trilogy the albums became more atmosphere based (not to say ABITNS did not have atmosphere because it certainly did) and meant to be taken as a whole, I Enjoy all three no doubt about it but with TH the individual songs dont stand out as much due to the repetition, But i know after listening to the album i enjoy it (if that makes sense). I would say this album strikes a balance between Blaze and TH but its as good as neither in that respect IMO.

All three of the trilogy are excellent but for very different reasons and you are fully justified choosing any of them as your favourite.
15.01.2012 - 00:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by @gent_-_orange on 15.01.2012 at 00:45
All three of the trilogy are excellent but for very different reasons and you are fully justified choosing any of them as your favourite.

I think that's what makes the trilogy so great. Anyone who listens to black metal identifies with at least one of them as an instant classic and can pick out what's good and bad in all of them, but there aren't many people who universally shit on all three.
----
15.01.2012 - 02:03
RavenKing
Written by @gent_-_orange on 15.01.2012 at 00:45

with TH the individual songs dont stand out as much due to the repetition

That's exactly what I meant when I said it is a one-dimensional release.
----
15.01.2012 - 03:12
Slinky666
Account deleted
I like this album.
15.01.2012 - 20:07
Slayer666
Written by RavenKing on 14.01.2012 at 18:43

That's exactly it, really. I see TH as a constant flow, as a one big whole. It's meant to be listened from start to finish, like it's one huge track. And I think that's its greatest strength, the thing that separates it from the other Darkthrone albums and makes it superior.
15.01.2012 - 22:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yarp, it's called consistency. Mark of a great album.
15.01.2012 - 23:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 15.01.2012 at 22:40

Yarp, it's called consistency. Mark of a great album.

Well, you know there is a fine line between consistency and being just monotonous/one-dimensional.
But yeah, I agree... TH is perfect as it is tbh. Can't say much about UAFM since I haven't heard it that much. Damn I really need to get their triology soon, just heard it in my computer a couple of times
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.01.2012 - 01:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.01.2012 at 23:22

Well, you know there is a fine line between consistency and being just monotonous/one-dimensional.
But yeah, I agree... TH is perfect as it is tbh. Can't say much about UAFM since I haven't heard it that much. Damn I really need to get their triology soon, just heard it in my computer a couple of times

Well I certainly don't agree that this album is monotonous. Many of the songs on this album differ in speed, tone and approach quite a lot without sounding like they belong on another album.
16.01.2012 - 07:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 16.01.2012 at 01:40

Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.01.2012 at 23:22

Well I certainly don't agree that this album is monotonous. Many of the songs on this album differ in speed, tone and approach quite a lot without sounding like they belong on another album.

I haven't said anything about the albums though.
I just understand if someone feels like the albums (specially TH) are one-dimensional.
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.12.2012 - 02:20
Illog1cal
Account deleted
I don't find the production to be that much of an issue because I think it works. An example of an album with terrible production would be Suffocation's 'Breeding the Spawn', the main difference is that Suffocation never wanted the production to sound bad, mistakes happened and it ruined the album for the most part. In Darkthrone's case, they purposefully chose this aesthetic due to the influence Venom had on them (in terms of production, not so much musically) and it was crafted in such a way that it would improve the listening experience to those who understand it, and like I said already, it works.

I like it because it has a very natural sound.

Hits total: 7045 | This month: 33