Metal Storm logo
London 2012 Olympics

Original post

Posted by Koen Smits, 27.07.2012 - 18:41
Here you can discuss every minute of the 2012 London Summer Olympics.
08.08.2012 - 15:30
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.08.2012 at 15:01

Written by Spirit Molecule on 08.08.2012 at 11:25
Most of the athletes for the Olympics are from a poorer background.

Perhaps the athletes themselves come from a poor background, but the countries that are sending them are economically stable.

True, but when a country doesn't provide enough funding for these athletes, it doesn't really matter.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
08.08.2012 - 15:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Spirit Molecule on 08.08.2012 at 15:30
True, but when a country doesn't provide enough funding for these athletes, it doesn't really matter.

That's what I'm saying, it's up to the country to send and fund the athletes, so their background is usually irrelevant. Countries with more money can put money into their sports programs, whereas countries without have to prioritize and at the end of the day, athletic funding is a luxury, not a necessity.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.08.2012 - 16:15
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.08.2012 at 15:47

That's what I'm saying, it's up to the country to send and fund the athletes, so their background is usually irrelevant. Countries with more money can put money into their sports programs, whereas countries without have to prioritize and at the end of the day, athletic funding is a luxury, not a necessity.

Well with India, I'm sure there is funding, but, by the time it reaches the athletes, half of it is eaten up by the higher ups.
Which brings me back to Marcel's point. It's not about the country being poor, but about the corruption level.
I don't think it is a luxury either, if you're not willing to spend on developing your athletes, don't even bother sending them to compete.
----

Last fm
Don't click here
08.08.2012 - 16:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Spirit Molecule on 08.08.2012 at 16:15
...if you're not willing to spend on developing your athletes, don't even bother sending them to compete.

Well you have to fund your athletes in order for them to be eligible to compete. If you're say, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and you only invest a meager amount of money into a specific sports program for training, equipment, etc. and your athletes aren't able to say, run a marathon quick enough to qualify for the Olympics, then you're not going to have any athletes to send.

This is in part why China and the United States are always at or near the top of the charts in terms of total medals: because they have a large population, enormous funding for their athletes, and in addition to that they still use the Olympic stage for political warfare (democracy is better than a dictatorship and all that nonsense).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.08.2012 - 17:04
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
If my fifth grade paper was correct, I'm pretty sure Canada provides no finacial support to our athletes apart from the plane ticket there. :/
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.08.2012 - 17:10
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.08.2012 at 16:40

Well you have to fund your athletes in order for them to be eligible to compete. If you're say, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and you only invest a meager amount of money into a specific sports program for training, equipment, etc. and your athletes aren't able to say, run a marathon quick enough to qualify for the Olympics, then you're not going to have any athletes to send.

This is in part why China and the United States are always at or near the top of the charts in terms of total medals: because they have a large population, enormous funding for their athletes, and in addition to that they still use the Olympic stage for political warfare (democracy is better than a dictatorship and all that nonsense).

Isn't that what I said? Well apart from using the Olympic stage for political warfare
----

Last fm
Don't click here
08.08.2012 - 17:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 08.08.2012 at 17:04
If my fifth grade paper was correct, I'm pretty sure Canada provides no finacial support to our athletes apart from the plane ticket there. :/

Either times have changed or your paper was wrong - our federal government subsidizes all of our Olympic athletes, and those who medal receive additional prize money. I think you have to place in the top six or the top eight in order to receive a bonus, but as a Canadian amateur athlete training to compete in the Olympics, your training costs are covered by the government.
----
08.08.2012 - 17:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Spirit Molecule on 08.08.2012 at 17:10
Isn't that what I said? Well apart from using the Olympic stage for political warfare

Well you said not to bother sending them if you don't support them financially - I was just pointing out that it's not a matter of picking and choosing. It's not like you call the Olympic committee and say hey, I've got an athlete here who wants to race against Usain Bolt. His best time in the 100m is about 15 seconds, but we're gonna send him anyway.

That runner has to officially break a set time in order for his country to even have the option of sending him.
----
08.08.2012 - 17:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.08.2012 at 17:11

Written by Boxcar Willy on 08.08.2012 at 17:04

Either times have changed or your paper was wrong - our federal government subsidizes all of our Olympic athletes, and those who medal receive additional prize money. I think you have to place in the top six or the top eight in order to receive a bonus, but as a Canadian amateur athlete training to compete in the Olympics, your training costs are covered by the government.

Well, times have changed, I think I got a B+ on the paper C:

It's good that our government supports our athletes, I can imagine why'd I'd even go if I had to pay my own way there, I'd rather go to the World championships for my sport then
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.08.2012 - 17:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.08.2012 at 17:14

That runner has to officially break a set time in order for his country to even have the option of sending him.

the strange thing is that qualifying times or distances or whatever aren't in place for all sports. For some sports, like athletics they are in place, but for example for swimming they aren't
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.08.2012 - 17:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Boxcar Willy on 08.08.2012 at 17:15

It's good that our government supports our athletes, I can imagine why'd I'd even go if I had to pay my own way there, I'd rather go to the World championships for my sport then

Your government has been supporting its athletes financially and such from before the Montreal Olympics, so from before you were even a glimmer in your dad's eyes
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.08.2012 - 18:00
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.08.2012 at 17:56

Your government has been supporting its athletes financially and such from before the Montreal Olympics, so from before you were even a glimmer in your dad's eyes

In my paper it said that they're aren't paid for their training, thus training and jobs and school interfere with each other, my paper was an arguement stating that the government should provide aid for it's training athletes.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.08.2012 - 18:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Boxcar Willy on 08.08.2012 at 18:00

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.08.2012 at 17:56

In my paper it said that they're aren't paid for their training, thus training and jobs and school interfere with each other, my paper was an arguement stating that the government should provide aid for it's training athletes.

you got a b+ for that? no substraction of point for writing "aid for it's training athletes."?

All kidding aside almost no country pays their athletes fully for training and such. They give them a small grant to make up for travelling expenses and coaching costs and loads of times that subsidy isn't enough by far. SO athletes still have to seek out private sponsors.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.08.2012 - 18:12
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Quote:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.08.2012 at 18:09

you got a b+ for that? no substraction of point for writing "aid for it's training athletes."?

All kidding aside almost no country pays their athletes fully for training and such. They give them a small grant to make up for travelling expenses and coaching costs and loads of times that subsidy isn't enough by far. SO athletes still have to seek out private sponsors.

>_>

It was fifth grade.

Anyway, lets talk about the actual games

I was watching the gymnastic bar thingy, and was expecting some girl to smash her face on the bar and lose like 6 teeth... never happened
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.08.2012 - 18:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Boxcar Willy on 08.08.2012 at 18:12

I was watching the gymnastic bar thingy, and was expecting some girl to smash her face on the bar and lose like 6 teeth... never happened

Yesterday I expected the Dutchman Epke Zonderland , to fall flat on his face as well, which he usually does in big finals. But low and behold he didn't and het managed to pull off the triple element and land on his feet. First to ever pull off the triple flight element in a competition. But afterwards in an interview for Dutch tv he admitted it almost went all wrong. His hand slipped just after the third flight element and he could barely hold on
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.08.2012 - 19:23
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Bad luck Russia. Yelena Isinbayeva failed to retain her title. Indeed, it was a terrible performance from her side and I think she gonna return in Rio strongly.
08.08.2012 - 19:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 08.08.2012 at 19:23

Bad luck Russia. Yelena Isinbayeva failed to retain her title. Indeed, it was a terrible performance from her side and I think she gonna return in Rio strongly.

She failed to do so about two or three days ago. You're a bit late with the news
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.08.2012 - 19:46
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.08.2012 at 19:26

She failed to do so about two or three days ago. You're a bit late with the news

LAWL, yeah. I should have put in brackets saying ( I know I'm late). Well,....hang on....two or three days ago? I guess I saw her event last night( on 7th Aug) only. Wait, Are you guys are ahead from India?
08.08.2012 - 19:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 08.08.2012 at 19:46

LAWL, yeah. I should have put in brackets saying ( I know I'm late). Well,....hang on....two or three days ago? I guess I saw her event last night( on 7th Aug) only. Wait, Are you guys are ahead from India?

the qualification for the women's pole vault was on AUgust 4 and the final was on August 6 (so, last Monday)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.08.2012 - 21:53
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 08.08.2012 at 19:46

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.08.2012 at 19:26

Don't you know Europe is like a day ahead of us ? So they see the future
Ask Marcel who won the Olympics, he'd probably know already.
----

Last fm
Don't click here
08.08.2012 - 22:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Spirit Molecule on 08.08.2012 at 21:53

Ask Marcel who won the Olympics, he'd probably know already.

Just like in 2008 China
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.08.2012 - 00:54
kesh
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.08.2012 at 22:41

There are currently two theories going explaining Australia's poor performance

This conversation was going on in cricket after they lost back to back Ashe's. How they've went from the likes of Merv Hughes who sledged an swore at batsman after nearly ever ball, to McGrath who was a Merv-light, only far more clinical an better to now, Mitchell Johnson who has beautiful flower tattoos an goes into his shell when things get tough. There health an safety culture (my uncle says he couldn't light a fart without filling in 3 forms with a fire extinguisher close by), to the fact the Aussies are flush with mining cash. There alot richer these days per-person. "Who cares we're not cronic sporting overachievers, ive just got a new snooker table an bigger pool".
09.08.2012 - 02:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What a greta day , pitty latvia jawelers did not go to final, gate track n field events at eve
I was also watching Brazil 77- 82 Argentina basket ... a derby good game, , Im angry Lietuva lost to Russia, sinvce I always support Lietuva basket team (also kaunas Zalgiris and Lietuvas Rytras in Eurocups)
From basket I saw only Arg vs Bra

Argentina vs USA and Spain vs Russia
Once in WC in USA Argentina won USA and won gold or Yugoislavia won gold, but now I supose its be USA vs Spain in Final, I dont belive Russia will win secend time Spain

I was watching 2 handball games
Iceland 33-34 Hungary there was OT I have seen a lot of handball games but this si my 1th OT and 1th so close games, Iceland shood won, shood use chances

Sweden 24-22 Denmark what a scary derby game, I was nervose all the time,. all the time easyer was not wtach(I was watching) and look at result
Now we will play whit Hungary in semies it shood be easyer how whit Denmark, I hope so
France cs Croatia , I dunno, I hope no Croatia they were pain in ass in Atlanta in 1996 in final Swe lost

I was wtaching also Volley
Brazil 3-0 Arhentina
One more derby, when Arg lost game was in 1th set when was 8-15 I know there wont be chances win any single set .
I think Brazil vs Italy winner will get a gold in final

This was my day
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.08.2012 - 01:37
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Alright! Bahamas came first in a relay (a heat). The USA was kneck and kneck with us, but we came out on top. I'm of course very happy that we beat Jamaica, but it's sad how it turned out for them though, the dude in their 3rd leg got injured......poor ole yardie.

The Bahamian problem seems to be that, we advance in the heats but still have trouble getting a gold medal of some kind.
10.08.2012 - 02:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
the Dutch male neach volleyball team had neevr ever lost to the Latvian team before this Olympicvs and now they lost twice and the last match meant the Latvians won bronze good on the Latvian congrats K7

Anyone see the semi finals in hockey between Great Britain and The Netherlands? Imo we should have humiiated them even further by scoring a 10th goal as well now we only won 9-2 hahahahahaha damn I really can't remember such a HUGE fucking defeat any time at all at any Olympic games and especially not during a semi final match. WOW Great Britain you really got your asses whooped immense big times.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.08.2012 - 02:57
Sync
Account deleted
Another good day for GB with 3 golds in the bag, never thought we'd do as good as we have done. But saying that the likes of Russia/Australia haven't had a particularly good Olympics so far.

I also heard Muse are going to be in the Closing Ceremony performing their Olympic anthem, that should be pretty fun to watch!
10.08.2012 - 03:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 10.08.2012 at 02:57

Another good day for GB with 3 golds in the bag, never thought we'd do as good as we have done. But saying that the likes of Russia/Australia haven't had a particularly good Olympics so far.

I also heard Muse are going to be in the Closing Ceremony performing their Olympic anthem, that should be pretty fun to watch!

but did you see how you were annihilated by our hockey players?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.08.2012 - 03:02
Sync
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.08.2012 at 03:00

but did you see how you were annihilated by our hockey players?

Thankfully not I was going to watch it but since I know the score now, I'll happily give the highlights a miss
10.08.2012 - 03:12
Sync
Account deleted
Also I just want to ask if anyone knows why they give 2 bronze medals in Boxing events? I assume it's possibly because they don't want to go through the hassle of another fight, so the only fair way is to give it to them both, unless it's something totally different
10.08.2012 - 03:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 10.08.2012 at 03:12

Also I just want to ask if anyone knows why they give 2 bronze medals in Boxing events? I assume it's possibly because they don't want to go through the hassle of another fight, so the only fair way is to give it to them both, unless it's something totally different

KIdo also has two bronze medals but people still have to fight for it hahahah
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996