Metal Storm logo
Your Parents' Reaction To Metal

Original post

Posted by R Lewis, 21.04.2013 - 13:02
Metal is not always highly regarded - at least here in Italy - and It took me a lot of time to convince my parents that there was nothing evil in it. One thing that helped me is that I started from really "calm" genres - punk, hard rock - and than gradually switched to heavier styles, but nothing extreme. Now my parents accept it peacefully, 'cause they see Metal makes me happy. And my mom also likes some power ballads.

The real question is: how did your parents react when they discovered what kind of music you listened to? Or did themselves introduce you to metal?
14.05.2013 - 01:08
TastetheSin
Yea my Y chromosome is a big Sabbath fan. Only thing we agree on actually. My Mom loves shit like Celiene Dion, so that tells you.
12.01.2014 - 16:14
MetalAce
The Eternal
Quote:
Written by JaciLeigh on 25.04.2013 at 01:58

why would he say something that weird? As if listening to some music can be dangerous.

He just doesn't want me listening to something satanic and the like. We are a highly religious, Christian family haha. Black metal makes me uncomfortable, as good as some of it is, anyway so I don't have much to worry about. Although, I do listen to Welicoruss from time to time...

. . . But I know I'm more religious than you, though my great-great fathers were Islam's first leaders! But I listen to many kinds of extreme metal, specially death and black. It depends how you like it, And what you learn of it, do you like it for vocal, melody, satan, or nothing? At first, when I was 12-13(when I started my metal career) my friends and family called me an idiot and who likes to worship satan KEEP METAL
12.01.2014 - 19:50
Góral
Combo Breaker
Since I can remember in my house you can hear bands like Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, UFO - this is mainly thanks to the musical taste of my dad. Maybe that's why
my parents were always tolerant and accepted my music (it was important only not to be too loud). I remember once that I caught my mom in the listening to "Blut Aus Nord - Axis" while vacuuming my room (supposedly started by accident). "Even cool" - she commented
12.01.2014 - 20:19
no one
Account deleted
When i was young i lived with my mum who was never there or i was homeless, so they never really heard what i listened to anyway. These days if i visit a parent i sure as hell won't make it awkward by cranking some Xasthur or something while talking to them. So well i guess they really never knew, but probably have some idea by the wired t shirts i wear.
13.01.2014 - 02:13
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by deadone on 13.01.2014 at 00:29

My parents couldn't care less. They got me Ride The Lightning for my 13th birthday.

So they probably did care a little bit
----
Coldgrits
13.01.2014 - 23:41
Mattybu
Surprisingly neither of my parents seem to mind at all (not that I would expect my dad to, more my mom is the surprising one), and neither of them got me into metal, or listen to any of it.
14.01.2014 - 00:17
Same here, they don't find it to be something special... But my mother sometimes asks me why I buy so much cds, and I answer : "mom, I listen to REAL music, not to these crappy raps"
----
Hey there, tiny wench !
14.01.2014 - 14:27
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
My dad listens to Metal, He listened to Metal since the 60s Black Sabbath.
18.01.2014 - 03:21
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
My parents kind of just accept the fact that I listen to it nowadays, even though when I was younger they would say the usual shtick like "I don't want you to listen to stuff about death" or "Why don't you listen to something more positive for a change". I think they kind of get by now that it hasn't really changed who I am as a person, it's just my musical tastes that seem unusual to them. The most "metal" my parents could ever get into was glam metal for my dad and pop-punk for my mom, so basically radio stuff, nothing like the stuff I typically listen to.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
18.01.2014 - 04:54
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
My dad told me about AC/DC and Metallica when I was in first grade. And I kept getting into more metal but he once told me not to listen to death metal but he doesn't really care all that much anymore. Its my brother and sister who think I shouldn't listen to metal, but they also think that only women are supposed to have long hair so what do they know.
19.01.2014 - 19:20
Thrashette
Written by [user id=115824] on 18.01.2014 at 04:54

they also think that only women are supposed to have long hair so what do they know.

My dad has a thing against guys with long hair... Whenever he sees my long-haired male metalhead friends, he tells me to invite them over so he can shave their hair off. And then when they actually do get a hair cut, he instantly likes them better and is a lot nicer to them. Guess it's more the image of metalheads than the music they listen to that he dislikes. He's not too fond of long hair on women either though, always tells me I should cut mine even though it's never been longer than mid-back length.
20.01.2014 - 02:30
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Written by Thrashette on 19.01.2014 at 19:20

Written by [user id=115824] on 18.01.2014 at 04:54

they also think that only women are supposed to have long hair so what do they know.

My dad has a thing against guys with long hair... Whenever he sees my long-haired male metalhead friends, he tells me to invite them over so he can shave their hair off. And then when they actually do get a hair cut, he instantly likes them better and is a lot nicer to them. Guess it's more the image of metalheads than the music they listen to that he dislikes. He's not too fond of long hair on women either though, always tells me I should cut mine even though it's never been longer than mid-back length.

Yeah I get that from a few people I know as well because of my hair length.
01.01.2019 - 00:15
Tinko
My mom doesen't like metal but she likes rock like Bon Jovi. My dad listents to turbofolk but used to listen to blues and soft rock.He doesen't like heavy. He said the other day that in Blues and Rock there is emotion and in metal isn't. He also meant that metal is just screaming nonsence that you get headaches from.(And i'm listening to Metallica the most of the time). He obviously haven't heard any metal except for songs like Nothing else matters and unforgiven. How do i convince him to at least appreciate it? (i can listen to and appreciate blues rock and other types of music although i'm not listening to it often)
01.01.2019 - 04:54
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Tinko on 01.01.2019 at 00:15

He said the other day that in Blues and Rock there is emotion and in metal isn't... How do i convince him to at least appreciate it?

The 1st Green Carnation album has plenty of emotion in it (especially when you know what the lyrics are about), try that, maybe?
Or pretty much anything from this http://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=819
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.01.2019 - 15:45
Tinko
Written by M C Vice on 01.01.2019 at 04:54

Written by Tinko on 01.01.2019 at 00:15

He said the other day that in Blues and Rock there is emotion and in metal isn't... How do i convince him to at least appreciate it?

The 1st Green Carnation album has plenty of emotion in it (especially when you know what the lyrics are about), try that, maybe?
Or pretty much anything from this http://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=819

Thanks i'll check them out.
15.01.2019 - 02:27
Disco Fury
I grew up with very religious parents who pretty much disliked any form of hard rock or metal. That's one of the reasons why I'm into it.
02.02.2019 - 03:17
Chyna Rose
My parents hate metal--but, my mother likes cheese like Adele or John Denver and my dad likes country..go figure!!
----
-ain't skeerd-
16.04.2019 - 21:43
Amy
My mom initally found out when I was 12 then forgot about it for some time. She was initially confused and a bit preturbed but (according to her) I turned out better than her friends' daughters so she doesn't care now. I'm pretty convinced my dad's a closet metalhead since he pretends to be clueless but somehow my cds go missing periodically...
----
\m/
21.06.2019 - 17:37
Stargazer48
I had an Ozzy Osbourne poster on my wall. Whenever my grandmother sees his black polished nails she was saying that angels will stay away from my room because of this poster
03.11.2019 - 19:55
All Metal
As far as I know, my mother doesn't know I listen to metal. Father doesn't really know either, though I played him Wisdom of the Kings by Rhapsody Live In Canada and he said, "Their singer sucks." I was singing some lyrics once in Latin and he said, "What kind of shit are you listening to?"

He doesn't care for metal though he probably hasn't had too much exposure to it because he listens to the radio and whatever he can access on there. Yet, he likes hard rock though. I never cared to get him in to metal. I'm sure I could get him to like bands if I selectively found some music as he's not adverse to listening to anything that is suggested, though I'm not going to put any effort in to it. The closest to metal he likes is Rainbow and when Ronnie James Dio was in Black Sabbath, Van Halen and Randy Rhoads era Ozzy Osbourne. He showed me these bands when I was younger by playing on his guitar Stargazer and Children of the Sea (uncle showed my Ozzy).
27.02.2020 - 06:17
My mom is like "whatever", my dad refuses to accept that anything other than thrash metal, speed metal and traditional heavy metal are "true metal". Naturally, he dislikes symphonic metal, symphonic black metal, symphonic death metal , and prog. metal.
18.03.2020 - 05:05
Danroush
My mum is pretty laid back but enjoys some of the lighter stuff I suggest to her, my dad literally hasn't even heard of Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden (he grew up in Iran to be fair)! However he also doesn't even like early The Police because some of it is too much for him (one or two more punky songs they did in particular), and still asks when I'm going to cut my hair, so it can be a little annoying that he simply doesn't understand the very concept of having a genuine interest in a genre and subculture that he doesn't know.
20.04.2020 - 01:39
Desha
delicious dish
I got into metal through my dad so there's that. Though more extreme metal just sounds like noise to them and I am banned from using the speakers for that stuff in family gatherings haha
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
20.04.2020 - 02:24
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Everytime my father catches a glimpse of me listening to extreme metal he says something like "Back in the day you needed to have a good voice to sing. Now you could replace all these growlers and you can't make a difference."
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
22.04.2020 - 09:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by RaduP on 20.04.2020 at 02:24

Everytime my father catches a glimpse of me listening to extreme metal he says something like "Back in the day you needed to have a good voice to sing. Now you could replace all these growlers and you can't make a difference."

He grow up in chsusesku days, How was lusten metal then
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.04.2020 - 09:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Now, hardly have contacts whit them, few Times per year, and I an to old to care what they care and think
----

apos;'
[image]
22.04.2020 - 10:35
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Bad English on 22.04.2020 at 09:41

They didn't really listen to metal as much, but he did get a lot of tapes and vinyls through people traveling through Yugoslavia. He was a big fan of Deep Purple and Pink Floyd.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
22.04.2020 - 10:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by RaduP on 22.04.2020 at 10:35

Written by Bad English on 22.04.2020 at 09:41

They didn't really listen to metal as much, but he did get a lot of tapes and vinyls through people traveling through Yugoslavia. He was a big fan of Deep Purple and Pink Floyd.

Its pre metal, good music banned in ussr and their satelite states. Yugo was most liber in music case
----

apos;'
[image]
09.05.2021 - 11:52
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
My dad introduced me to his hard rock collection when I was about 12, he had albums by Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Scorpions and Status Quo, he also had all of Pink Floyd's albums on vinyl. I remember him lending me Deep Purple In Rock And Machine Head and told me to see what I think of them.

So I became hooked on hard rock, and I wanted to discover heavier music, so my dad told me about Black Sabbath and Judas Priest, although he found them too heavy for his taste, he said they were good bands to start with.

Next I started listening to Iron Maiden mainly because their popularity with heavy metallers and album covers and the shirts appealed to me. I then started listening to 80s thrash Metalica and Slayer mostly and my mum and dad tolerated them but found thrash far too heavy.

In my early 20s I discovered Norwegian Black Metal, and became obsessed with Darkthrone, Mayhem, Gorgoroth and Burzum etc. and I have to say at that point my parents began to worry about me.
09.05.2021 - 13:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 09.05.2021 at 11:52

My dad introduced me to his hard rock collection when I was about 12, he had albums by Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Scorpions and Status Quo, he also had all of Pink Floyd's albums on vinyl. I remember him lending me Deep Purple In Rock And Machine Head and told me to see what I think of them.

So I became hooked on hard rock, and I wanted to discover heavier music, so my dad told me about Black Sabbath and Judas Priest, although he found them too heavy for his taste, he said they were good bands to start with.

Next I started listening to Iron Maiden mainly because their popularity with heavy metallers and album covers and the shirts appealed to me. I then started listening to 80s thrash Metalica and Slayer mostly and my mum and dad tolerated them but found thrash far too heavy.

In my early 20s I discovered Norwegian Black Metal, and became obsessed with Darkthrone, Mayhem, Gorgoroth and Burzum etc. and I have to say at that point my parents began to worry about me.

How old you're man?
----

apos;'
[image]