Top 20 albums of 2001: 9
Top 200 albums of all time: 182
Featured in "Getting Into: Summoning"

Additional info
Released by Napalm Records

Guest review by
Ellrohir
Rating:
It is always kinda weird to post a review of an album which means so much for you, you will place ultimate rating just because "you feel it so". I will try to state my reasons why I am rating this album so high anyway.

I know many people who claim Summoning are an uninteresting band whose best works were the first ones, when it still was "black enough". I have listened to almost all their works including very first demos, when it was nothing but "ordinary" black metal. As the time flows, they began to develop their specific style, different to almost all other bands. And in my opinion, Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame, is the flashing point of their carrier. Yes, the rest of their albums are great too and I would rate each of them (except Lugburuz) at least 9.5 at once, but LMHSYF means the most for me.

Read more ››
published 18.08.2009 | Comments (13)

Found in 47 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 799 users
02.09.2013 - 19:46
Rating: 6
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I'm actually starting to like this band a bit more. Lugburz is still my favorite with Minas Morgul being a close second, but I don't find their other albums quite as boring as I used to. This one in particular is nice
15.10.2013 - 18:24
Rating: 10
Wes
Amazing
14.02.2014 - 22:41
Erik M.
My fucking god, what a totally brilliant album yet again by these Austrian masters of epic black metal.

This is easily their most LotR-themed album and probably most epic one as well. I'm not so sure anymore about Old Mornings Dawn being my favourite album, as this one might top it.
02.11.2014 - 15:28
garmling
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 14.02.2014 at 22:41

My fucking god, what a totally brilliant album yet again by these Austrian masters of epic black metal.

This is easily their most LotR-themed album and probably most epic one as well. I'm not so sure anymore about Old Mornings Dawn being my favourite album, as this one might top it.

I told you about this album fucking brilliant!
02.11.2014 - 21:07
Vombatus
Potorro
Without doubt the worst Summoning album.

(it's still nice).

03.11.2014 - 21:07
Erik M.
Written by Author on 02.11.2014 at 15:28

I told you about this album fucking brilliant!

Indeed you did, but so did a few other MS'ers (Joe and Mr. Doctor, I think). Then again, I would've checked it out regardless of that, seeing as this was the last full-length album of them I had to check out, so I had it on my list for months already.

In any case, yeah I can't get enough of this album. True masterpiece indeed! The ultimate Tolkien-themed album, in my opinion.
03.11.2014 - 21:12
Erik M.
Written by Vombatus on 02.11.2014 at 21:07

Without doubt the worst Summoning album.

(it's still nice).

To me it's the best Summoning album, closely followed up by Stronghold and OMD. But honestly, I love all their stuff except for Lugburz (which is still nice ).

This one is epic, majestic and has a total LotR feel to it and has more variety than most, if not all, other Summoning albums, vocal-wise and sound-wise (melodies). In terms of pure atmosphere I'd go with Stronghold as the best, but overall this album is their best.
13.02.2015 - 21:03
me<3mertl
10/10 My second favorite album of all time!
28.09.2015 - 19:29
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Had this album on the entire time while going to my uni and back home. Farewell usually on repeat two or three times before replaying the album. It's incredible how a song so minimal can evoke so much emotion. I love the album but that song in particular has perfect songwriting. One of those rare times you can't describe a song in any other way that isn't simply "Epic".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.03.2017 - 16:52
Mextremist
I have been listening In Hollow Halls Beneath The Fells repeatedly. It gives a different feeling and atmosphere in mind. Each of their song is so different. Farewell is another example. When i listen this band more, i like it more. I think that after discovering Summoning, i will get very less songs of this music.
05.07.2017 - 23:16
Redel
Took me a couple of spins. Now I like it.
South away is the highlight for me. But actually all songs are good here.
Overall pretty much at par with Stronghold, I would say.

Edit: Actually a lot better than Stronghold.
Best Summoning by far, IMO.
Incredible how this grew on me over time.
I can remember having a 6.4 here initially. Now it is somewhere around 9.5.
I cannot remember such a shift with any other album before.
03.02.2018 - 15:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
To slow, I have a feeling next one will be crap, but if you listen all disco in its time like after week, you can heart that its not so bad
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.04.2020 - 20:48
TheRisen8
This is literally what keeps me alive at the moment. I just want to have a full body armor, richly engraved, a spear in my hand and just roam some grand valleys, canyons and mountains. If I am lucky maybe a lightning will strike me or maybe I will die in some snow storm.

Who thinks this type of music is slow or boring should just fuck of and not leave any rating.
----
"Dreams of sweetest emotion touch my heart and smother my daily suppressed cries, while a vision of beauty, pure and dear inspires me with a glimpse of paradise."

Estatic Fear - Somnium Obmutum
09.04.2020 - 00:38
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by TheRisen8 on 08.04.2020 at 20:48

Who thinks this type of music is slow or boring should just fuck of and not leave any rating.

I don't think many people miss out Summoning due to their rich discography - ranging from Stronghold, Lugburz, Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame all the way down to Old Mornings Dawn.

One band who spat back to back epic metal tracks, but mine has to be hands down "Old Mornings Dawn". It gets repeated 3 to 4 times before it switches to another track.
29.04.2020 - 03:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff

Or people should feel free to voice their own opinions and rate albums accordingly even if it means they don't reflect how you feel 🤷‍♂️
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.04.2020 - 08:57
Rating: 8
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.04.2020 at 03:56

Or people should feel free to voice their own opinions and rate albums accordingly even if it means they don't reflect how you feel 🤷‍♂️

Ok

Slow and boring
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
29.04.2020 - 11:14
Maco
Pvt Funderground

hey look
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
29.04.2020 - 16:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by RaduP on 29.04.2020 at 08:57

Ok

Slow and boring

I agree for the most part. Summoning used to be among my favorite bands when I first started exploring black metal but nowadays there isn't anything enjoyable I get out of listening to them. I appreciate what they represented at the time but that's about it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.05.2020 - 21:13
TheRisen8
Help. epic me and this epic album are being raided by spiteful degenerate russian hackers
----
"Dreams of sweetest emotion touch my heart and smother my daily suppressed cries, while a vision of beauty, pure and dear inspires me with a glimpse of paradise."

02.05.2020 - 21:14
TheRisen8
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.04.2020 at 16:23

Written by RaduP on 29.04.2020 at 08:57

Ok

Slow and boring

I agree for the most part. Summoning used to be among my favorite bands when I first started exploring black metal but nowadays there isn't anything enjoyable I get out of listening to them. I appreciate what they represented at the time but that's about it.

what are you doing? u took the bait
----

02.05.2020 - 21:18
TheRisen8
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.04.2020 at 03:56

meh. before having the right to voice your opinion, a intelligence and morality test should be taken first lol
----

02.05.2020 - 21:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by TheRisen8 on 02.05.2020 at 21:14

what are you doing? u took the bait

I don't think anyone rating this a 1 is baiting with an opinion that it's slow and boring. Unless Radu is overly committed to the troll, that is.
----
02.05.2020 - 21:32
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Ok, lads, the jest is over
----
03.05.2020 - 00:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by RaduP on 02.05.2020 at 21:32

Ok, lads, the jest is over

I've been bamboozled. Though your 8 for this is surprising. What about it do you think is great?
----
03.05.2020 - 00:42
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.05.2020 at 00:23

I've been bamboozled. Though your 8 for this is surprising. What about it do you think is great?

I admittedly haven't listened to this particular album in a pretty long while, since whenever I feel like returning to Summoning, it's either Stronghold or Oathbound, but I don't remember there being any major dip in quality.

Maybe I actually would get bamboozeled myself if I actually do find it slow and boring upon returning to it. But I doubt it.
----
08.05.2021 - 17:58
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
This is such a beautifully constructed album, which carries on with that mighty epic sound of Stronghold, but this time back to a more Tolkien theme, with the lyrics mainly inspired by The Hobbit. This is where that unique, majestic atmosphere, that Summoning had become renowned for had truly begun, and really starts to take shape.

I was that focused on the atmospheric sounds created by the synthesisers that I didn't pick up on the lack of guitar work, which is usually what I focus on most in a metal album. Every song has a special, unique sounding atmosphere, that's hard to describe, but keeps me gripped through the whole album. "Farewell" and "South Away" somehow stood out for me most, but again an almost perfect album.
02.07.2021 - 13:49
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Redel on 05.07.2017 at 23:16

I had this experience with Terminal Redux. At first I could barely force myself to listen to it... but now I love it and thinks it's one of metal's masterpieces
02.07.2021 - 14:31
Redel
Written by F3ynman2000 on 02.07.2021 at 13:49

I had this experience with Terminal Redux. At first I could barely force myself to listen to it... but now I love it and thinks it's one of metal's masterpieces

Yeah, quite old comment of mine but still up to date. This is the only album ever where I had a shift from 6 to 10.
I should add though that the 6 was when I was still a complete novice to the band. I only began to love (some of) their albums after quite some time into them.
02.07.2021 - 15:22
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Redel on 02.07.2021 at 14:31

Written by F3ynman2000 on 02.07.2021 at 13:49

Yeah, quite old comment of mine but still up to date. This is the only album ever where I had a shift from 6 to 10.
I should add though that the 6 was when I was still a complete novice to the band. I only began to love (some of) their albums after quite some time into them.

Yeah I'm trying to get into Summoning right now. I love their instrumental work - they know how to create great atmospheres. I'm now trying to like the vocals... the Tolkien lyrics help
18.11.2021 - 18:03
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Wow! This is my favorite Summoning album so far! Great immersive atmosphere, thunderous and melodic instrumentation, lyrical themes of the Hobbit, eerily powerful voice samples of Lord of the Rings, what more could one want?!
This is the perfect soundtrack for wandering through wintry woods.... which is exactly how I listened to this! I felt like I was marching along to war or following Gandalf and the dwarves to the Lonely Mountain
Admittedly I think the first half is stronger than the second half of album. My favorite songs are In Hollow Halls Beneath the Fells, South Away, A New Power is Rising, and Our Foes Shall Fall. Farewell is also an epic conclusion, though

Also, I'm the 400th vote!

Hits total: 20126 | This month: 9