Metal Storm logo
Jazz & metal

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 05.01.2007 - 18:32
Hello fellow stormers!

Here we can discuss all sorts of jazz metal bands. Hopefully this thread will be flooded with loads of excellent recommendations.

If you recommend or mention a band it be very nice if you'd add a description, be it short or long doesn't matter as it gives a hint what is the music like as the genre is very wide ranging from jazz death to more mellow bands(that is also the reason the thread wasn't created either in melodic or extreme metal forum)

Hope you have lots of fun discovering new bands
09.01.2009 - 17:04
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I just listened to Dark Hall suggested by ylside, and I must say it's pretty good. A cool listen. Too bad this project is on hold.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
10.01.2009 - 10:30
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Poema Arcanus incorporated a lot of their jazz influences in their last album "The Teluric Manifesto"... although it is their worst album to date, it made me feel that jazz and doom metal could be a very interesting mixture.
11.01.2009 - 21:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I think that !T.O.O.H.! would be a good option. It's grindcore that it's really tehnical and it has some really jazzy solos and bass [it has even a bass solo on a song of their second album]

Really good band IMO.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.02.2009 - 20:07
jd-inflames
Account deleted
I haven't heard anyone else mix these two brands of music, yet I consider myself a composer, and like to use both of these influences together. If someone could send me a list of songs to listen to that you would feel incorporates these two styles, I would be greatly appreciative. If you go on myspace.com and search for Joshua Drake you will find my "band" profile, and there are some songs that I've written on there. Again, I consider that to be influenced by both styles.
28.02.2009 - 18:47
Galar
Wicked Mung
Atheist has a ton of jazz elements, some Pestilence does, Obscura even has some. Jazz and metal are two very similiar genres, in terms of what you can do with it.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
01.03.2009 - 06:21
jd-inflames
Account deleted
I can definitely agree with that, it's just that very seldom do you really see the connection apparent.
01.03.2009 - 23:21
Airbreaker
Account deleted
Uhm, War From A Harlot Mouth has jazzy breakdowns.
04.03.2009 - 02:11
Uller
To- Mera, great progressive band and lots of jazz influence highly recommend it
----
29.10.2009 - 03:25
bangladesh
Two bands:

Zu, they are a free jazz band, but the last album "Carboniferous", by label ipecac from Mike Patton, it´s quite diferent and have very metal and groove influences. Highly recommended!

Ephel duath was a experimental black metal band and now have jazz influences. Very good.

Both of them from Italia

Ah, i couldn't forget Lux Occulta's "The Mother and the enemy". What a fantastic album!
29.10.2009 - 03:44
Hexenmeister
Written by Too many fail. on 26.09.2007 at 20:20

Seriously though, this is my point exactly, just because the song has clean reverby guitar parts and some interval harmonies does not make it jazz but a lot of people seem to disagree. Im listening to it right now and I hear NO jazz whatsoever. even though you could start arguing that jazz is such a wide genre that cynic could be classified as jazzy, I still wouldn't say so.

You're exactly right. Most metal bands that get credited for incorporating "jazz" into their music are really just playing fusion with no real 'swing' to it.

Honestly most metal musicians are not that great of jazz musicians even though some of them might have an appreciation of the genre. I remember watching some YouTube videos of Derek Roddy attempting some jazz drumming and it was painful.
29.10.2009 - 17:05
thesabbathfan
Animals as Leaders:

jazzy prog metal that SHREDS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ho4-tExpTE
----
10.11.2009 - 00:00
nana.MD
Star-Queen
U guys mention here several bands i've never heard so i'll check them out and then give u my opinion because for the moment the only band that comes into my mind is atheist so...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
16.11.2009 - 03:31
Fhuesc
Written by thesabbathfan on 29.10.2009 at 17:05

Animals as Leaders:

jazzy prog metal that SHREDS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ho4-tExpTE

The music is great, but i dont like pure instrumental bands, vocals are a great part for me.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
26.11.2009 - 05:16
whatsacow
Diablo Swing Orchestra. I think their name sums it up.
Ephel Duaths new album is good, it has some very jazzy influences.
Maudlin of the Well. Not all their stuff is jazzy, but they do have a fair selection of jazz metal.
Kayo dot are an Avant Garde Jazz Metal/Post Classical band. Check em out/
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
21.01.2010 - 20:56
Mikyz
The German band Panzerballet is the closest thing to Jazz Metal that I know of. If this isn't Jazz metal I dunno what is
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
22.01.2010 - 02:36
ylside
Staff
Written by Mikyz on 21.01.2010 at 20:56

The German band Panzerballet is the closest thing to Jazz Metal that I know of. If this isn't Jazz metal I dunno what is

Ahh yes they were quiet good, I did like what I heard of them a lot.
08.02.2010 - 22:05
Arhippigo
I second the Animals As Leaders. Exivious is excellent as well. They're instrumental though, which I personally love, but it might turn some people off.
16.02.2010 - 02:18
whatsacow
Behold... the Arctopus. Free Jazz metal. Awesome stuff. Most Progressive and Avant Garde stuff incorporates Jazz influences, like cynic, Athiest, Dream theater, etc.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
16.02.2010 - 04:42
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
1980 - Sagaie from their self-titled debut (2007)

The band is from France, and their music is similar to Meshuggah and Cynic, with post rock atmospheres. Gotta love the xylophone.

One of my favorite jazz/metal fusion bands is Planet X. Here is a sample: Planet X - The Noble Savage from their album MoonBabies (2002).
16.02.2010 - 14:25
ylside
Staff
Written by Introspekrieg on 16.02.2010 at 04:42

1980 - Sagaie from their self-titled debut (2007)

The band is from France, and their music is similar to Meshuggah and Cynic, with post rock atmospheres. Gotta love the xylophone.

One of my favorite jazz/metal fusion bands is Planet X. Here is a sample: Planet X - The Noble Savage from their album MoonBabies (2002).

My favourite song out of that MoonBabies album. A very good one !
26.02.2010 - 03:17
bard
I really don't know much about jazz, but from what I can tell Watchtower has some complex jazz related material on their two albums. Really they were just pioneering prog metal but there was some fusion in there at least I think.

Also Buckethead's album Population Override. It's all instrumental and a little Praxis related, but again it's mostly fusion with some blues elements i think.
----
26.02.2010 - 22:21
Candlemass
Defaeco
A very underrated band is Intronaut, which created probably the best jazz-metal release since Atheist.
05.08.2011 - 11:52
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Hexenmeister on 29.10.2009 at 03:44

Written by Too many fail. on 26.09.2007 at 20:20

Seriously though, this is my point exactly, just because the song has clean reverby guitar parts and some interval harmonies does not make it jazz but a lot of people seem to disagree. Im listening to it right now and I hear NO jazz whatsoever. even though you could start arguing that jazz is such a wide genre that cynic could be classified as jazzy, I still wouldn't say so.

You're exactly right. Most metal bands that get credited for incorporating "jazz" into their music are really just playing fusion with no real 'swing' to it.

Honestly most metal musicians are not that great of jazz musicians even though some of them might have an appreciation of the genre. I remember watching some YouTube videos of Derek Roddy attempting some jazz drumming and it was painful.

I think there are quite a few metal musicians who are good jazz musicians. Steve Digiorgio, alex skolnick, tymon and robin from cynic to name a few

You should definitely check out Dark hall, metal muscians playing jazz fusion.
Alex skolnick trio and his attention deficit side project again are good examples.

Anyway if you're are going to incorporate jazz in any other form of music its going to be called jazz fusion, what else would you call it ?If its not jazz fusion, its just jazz
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
05.08.2011 - 15:23
Pennywise213
Account deleted
The feamale fronted progmetal band Aghora has some jazz elements due their connection to Cynic.They have also some ethno sounds.
15.11.2011 - 20:47
Markku
Account deleted
I think I concieved the idea for this thread after hearing form somewhere that "Focus" and "Elements" are jazzy metal. Perhaps, indeed, calling these albums jazz metal is going a little bit too far.

Now, could anyone provide more or less objective criteria to what in their mind would really constitute jazz(y) metal. What are the defining features of jazz music if there are any.
16.11.2011 - 02:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 15.11.2011 at 20:47
Now, could anyone provide more or less objective criteria to what in their mind would really constitute jazz(y) metal. What are the defining features of jazz music if there are any.

I know Wiki is a lame source, but their definition of jazz fusion is pretty accurate in my opinion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_fusion

Jazz in itself is a highly improvised form of blues sort of. :/ Hard to explain, although I'm sure RYM, last.fm, or Wiki have a more descriptive analysis.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.11.2011 - 23:40
king_matt
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
29.08.2012 - 05:18
Been into Trioscapes (has Dan Briggs of BtBaM) and T.R.A.M. as of late
29.08.2012 - 09:51
TheMike
Sean Malone, the bassist who played on Focus and later was involved with Gordian Knot, has a solo album called Cortlandt (Sean Reinert also handles drums on this one) that sort of falls into this category. I say sort of because it's not really all that heavy, but it's pretty cool regardless, and if you're looking for stuff like this it's worth checking out. It's the only album I could think of that I haven't seen mentioned already.
29.08.2012 - 17:02
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by TheMike on 29.08.2012 at 09:51

Sean Malone, the bassist who played on Focus and later was involved with Gordian Knot, has a solo album called Cortlandt (Sean Reinert also handles drums on this one) that sort of falls into this category. I say sort of because it's not really all that heavy, but it's pretty cool regardless, and if you're looking for stuff like this it's worth checking out. It's the only album I could think of that I haven't seen mentioned already.

Well, now that is some interesting info.