Release date: October 2014

01. Acheronta Movebimus
02. Unleash
03. Monstrum In Animo
04. The One Thing Needful
05. A Firm Foundation Of Unyielding Despair
06. Desideratum
07. Idol
08. Sub Specie Aeterni (Of Maggots And Humanity)
09. The Joystream
10. Rage And Red [feat. Niklas Kvarforth]
11. Ita Mori

From the moment of my introduction to Anaal Nathrakh, I have always considered In The Constellation Of The Black Widow to be their best work. I sense a change on the horizon.

The instrumental "Acheronta Movebimus," perhaps best described as the sound of Stalaggh violently escaping an underground Soviet laboratory, builds the tension until the appropriately-entitled "Unleash" snaps it like Gwen Stacy's neck. The gates open, and floods of deathly nathrakh-ing pour out like a sea of burning oil. Desideratum plays out more like Vanitas than like Passion or In The Constellation Of The Black Widow, but at its heart (or whatever swirling mass of unnatural black ooze it has in the place of a heart), it is the same Anaal Nathrakh we have come to know and fear. It's unstable and visceral grindcore, bleak and soul-chilling black metal, and an assortment of supernaturally wicked shrieks mixed with alien precision into a vile, pestilent assault of evil noise.

As for the fleshy bits surrounding the heart, Gore Tech, purveyor of breakcore/dubstep/insert-loud-and-grisly-genre-here, adds his own brand of embellishment from time to time, which heightens the impression of industrial influence. His occasional input (as on the outstanding "A Firm Foundation Of Unyielding Despair") sets Desideratum apart from the rest of Anaal Nathrakh's catalogue and suggests a largely-untapped gold mine of potential further down that same road. While some might object to any further experimentation with an electronic bent (which, after all, is not exactly consistent with the black metal and grindcore roots of the band), more expansive applications could achieve a most intriguing WHOURKR or Igorrr effect.

Igorrr and Anaal Nathrakh. Now THAT would be a diabolic collaboration for the history books. Speaking of diabolic collaborations, Niklas Kvarforth's presence has inspired some consternation, to say the least. Morbid prognosticators can breathe easy, for the Shining frontman's appearance does not spell doom for the 'thrakh. He's no Rainer Landfermann, but the man knows how to reproduce the sound of someone being violently torn apart from the inside - and when it comes to Anaal Nathrakh, that's all that counts.

Desideratum is Anaal Nathrakh at their best. With absolutely devastating songs like "The One Thing Needful," "Rage And Red," and the title track, this album will leave your eardrums bloody and beaten on the sidewalk of hell.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 10.10.2014 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 18   Visited by: 490 users
10.10.2014 - 09:30
PocketMetal

So.Much.Hype.
10.10.2014 - 10:14
Rupert

I like the Spider Man reference (Gwen Stacy), though I must admit I did have to look it up.
10.10.2014 - 11:24
Zap
This review's great, some really funny lines
It'll probably be an enjoyable album.
10.10.2014 - 11:58
psykometal
A staff guy...
Lookin' forward to this!
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

10.10.2014 - 13:27
Alondate

HYPED
10.10.2014 - 14:45
Rating: 7
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Well damn, now I'm excited. Hopefully it's as good as you say
10.10.2014 - 15:11
Rating: 8
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by PocketMetal on 10.10.2014 at 09:30

So.Much.Hype.

Written by Alondate on 10.10.2014 at 13:27

HYPED

I have set myself up dangerously.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
10.10.2014 - 15:32
chronic-headache

Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 10.10.2014 at 15:11

Written by PocketMetal on 10.10.2014 at 09:30

So.Much.Hype.

Written by Alondate on 10.10.2014 at 13:27

HYPED

I have set myself up dangerously.

you're in good company
10.10.2014 - 20:05
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Looking forward to listen to it
10.10.2014 - 21:05
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Since i love AN, i just checked your previous review ratings and wow your 9,4 creates really high hopes now for this album!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
24.10.2014 - 22:53
Hazelnut Nero

It must be a really great album !
29.10.2014 - 10:10
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
The title track is an abosolute MONSTER. Reminds me of "When Humanity is Cancer" and is definitely a highlight.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
05.11.2014 - 01:38
mojo

Loving the dubstep moment in Acheronta Movebimus. More ''electronic'' in both style and feel than previous albums, all the way through. They manage it well though, unlike M***** A**** on that last thing they did. Nonetheless, some people won't like the overproduction - the same people as didn't like it on Vanitas I expect. Personally, I do. I sense remixes on the horizon.

All in all for me, at least as good as Vanitas. How much better will tell with time, but for now fuckyeah
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?
07.11.2014 - 19:17
Rating: 9
MelancholiaC

"Overproduction" - such a misused word by neanderthals who find faults in being able to actually hear each instrumental layer. Nothing is more overrated than the "lo-fi" (aka. people who haven't learned proper recording techniques) mentality.

I think the production captures the essence of Anaal Nathrakh's sound exquisitely - the only small wish I have is for the vocals to come up louder at a few points in the mix.
07.11.2014 - 21:09
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by MelancholiaC on 07.11.2014 at 19:17

"Overproduction" - such a misused word by neanderthals who find faults in being able to actually hear each instrumental layer. Nothing is more overrated than the "lo-fi" (aka. people who haven't learned proper recording techniques) mentality.

Because there's surely nothing in-between overproduction and lo-fi bedroom production. We're just all Illdjarn fans, we appreciate music only when it's inaudible. And we understand nothing to Anaal Nathrakh.

You can make a clean record without turning it into this clinically decontaminated and weak version of what Anaal Nathrakh used to be.
07.11.2014 - 21:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ilham on 07.11.2014 at 21:09

You can make a clean record without turning it into this clinically decontaminated and weak version of what Anaal Nathrakh used to be.

QFT

btw this is by far Anaal Nathrakh's weakest album to date. Both in the song writing department and the production department. The production makes it totally lifeless and soulless.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.11.2014 - 21:24
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.11.2014 at 21:21

QFT

btw this is by far Anaal Nathrakh's weakest album to date. Both in the song writing department and the production department. The production makes it totally lifeless and soulless.

I haven't listened to Vanitas and Passion, so I agree with you for now. Whether I would find Vanitas and Passion better or worse wouldn't change the fact that this is very average by Anaal Nathrakh standards.
07.11.2014 - 21:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by MelancholiaC on 07.11.2014 at 19:17

Nothing is more overrated than the "lo-fi" (aka. people who haven't learned proper recording techniques) mentality.

As opposed to bands that run to straight to geniuses like Rick Rubin who do them stellar production on their albums *cough* Death Magnetic *splutter* 13.

The best production is probably to be found in bands that don't go for big, expensive studios. This album though is the equivalent to a bottle of Corona. Weak as piss.

Hits total: 10889 | This month: 24