06. Slave Only Dreams To Be King
07. The Devil Beneath My Feet
08. Birds Of Hell Awaiting
09. Cupid Carries A Gun
10. Odds Of Even
11. Day 3 [deluxe edition bonus]
12. Fated, Faithful, Fatal [deluxe edition bonus]
13. Fall Of The House Of Death [deluxe edition bonus]

Everyone grows old. Or "older", if that word scares you less. Some better than others.

Most of us who grew up with anthems like "The Beautiful People" and "The Nobodies" are now too busy trying to keep a job and maybe even raising a child of their own. Marilyn Manson was left far behind, alongside the painful memories of your embarrassing first time with a girl. Those of you who got wiser with age should get ready to rid themselves of all prejudices and grudges against the self-proclaimed Antichrist Superstar, whom they rightfully accused of being an ever-worsening parody of himself since 2003. Why? Because...

Exit industrial.
Exit violence.
Exit theatricals.

Enter melancholy.
Enter maturity.
Enter simplicity.

This album feels as if Brian Warner just woke up, hungover from all the excesses and sins of the past twenty years. Bitter and haunting, the first half of The Pale Emperor could be compared to that first moment of lucidity, the one that brings a destructive wave of guilt and self-disgust that prevents you from painfully lifting yourself up from the already hardening vomit-soaked sheets. Stripped down to the core of what makes his music, Warner sounds naked, frail, but still masterful of the feelings he exhibits. This album doesn't need violence to sound strong and dignified. Yet it is barely standing on his two feet that I imagine The Pale Emperor gets to the toilet bowl to finally be able to let go of all that bile. From there on out, the second half of the effort sounds a little lighter, and one could almost make out the vague silhouette of acceptance behind the sadness.

The subtle and genius industrial producing of Trent Reznor is far away, and I was pleased to see MM finally refused to forcefully emulate that sound - which had previously made his name. Contradictorily, Marilyn Manson found a way to reinvent himself as a singer as well as a band, make tabula rasa of the past, by precisely going back to his personal roots: the dominant Florida-swamp-inspired blues feel of this ninth album is the freshest and least expected influence I would have imagined him to borrow from.

Of course then, The Pale Emperor managed to surprise me, and even win my long-lost admiration back. However, I can still hear a few flaws. Some superfluous tunes could have been forgotten and the flow inside the album could have gained from a different song arrangement. But most importantly, I can't tell if it is because my life feels like a endless hangover that I find myself coming back to the bluesiest songs only, or if it's because they are just that good. As much as I like the couple of tracks that stand out with their catchier melodies, I would trade half of the opus for another "Third Day Of A Seven Day Binge". Which is already my most played song of the last month and managed to land the title of "favourite Marilyn Manson track ever".

Warner sounds more broken than ever, yet he managed to mend the remains of a career he shattered with his previous releases. Time puts its mark on every one of us, and he finally accepted to embrace it. Here, have this, it'll go nicely with the rest of that cheap bourbon:

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by Ilham | 04.01.2015

Comments

Comments: 35   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 466 users
04.01.2015 - 05:02
Lit.
Account deleted
Manson's relevant again! Huzzah!

Also since when could you put videos in reviews?
04.01.2015 - 05:28
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I like the cover art.

I also grew up on his early work when I was a pre-teen who thought I was SOOOO cool. I'll check this out and see what my childhood is up to
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
04.01.2015 - 11:54
Rating: 9
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 04.01.2015 at 05:02

Since always, I've done it a couple times a few reviews ago. It's just that nobody does, weirdly.
04.01.2015 - 12:20
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Susan on 04.01.2015 at 05:28

I like the cover art.

I also grew up on his early work when I was a pre-teen who thought I was SOOOO cool. I'll check this out and see what my childhood is up to

I agree, that cover was the first sign of a change. I have been very dubious as the updates on the new album were posted on MS during the months of October/November, but when you look back at the last four albums, and then at this... Whatever was the reason you listened to Manson in the first place when you were younger, I am sure that you will at least notice the maturity of this one, even if you end up not liking the album .
04.01.2015 - 15:10
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Often record with songwriting and originality touching 9 becomes a close contender for AOTY in particular category.

Here, originality is 10, songwriting is 7 which hints on how bobbling Manson's new work will be. Nevertheless, review is interesting and surely has kick my "intriguing" teeth to check this work as soon as possible.
04.01.2015 - 15:24
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
The Nobodies is considered an anthem?
Meh, I always considered Portrait - Mechanical Animals (and even before that with the Spooky Kids material) to be his best work, as I'm sure many others probably do. Different strokes though. Anyway, it's cool to see this album getting some good feedback, and your 10 for originality definitely intrigues me. Indeed, at this point into his career I would rather hear Manson trying to do something new and succeeding than trying to recreate something old and absolutely sucking at it. Born Villain marked a bit of a possible return to form to my ears, so I'll be checking this out soon. These bluesy songs you mention have piqued my curiosity as well.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
04.01.2015 - 16:10
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.01.2015 at 15:24

The Nobodies is considered an anthem?

It's one of his best selling singles and would you have been around at the time of Hollywood/The Golden Age Of Grotesque you wouldn't laugh. It wasn't an expression of what I prefer or would call his best songs, but that's what every 13 yo blasted at "parties".
04.01.2015 - 16:14
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 04.01.2015 at 15:10

Often record with songwriting and originality touching 9 becomes a close contender for AOTY in particular category.

Here, originality is 10, songwriting is 7 which hints on how bobbling Manson's new work will be. Nevertheless, review is interesting and surely has kick my "intriguing" teeth to check this work as soon as possible.

If I can explain a little more on those odd numbers. Manson definitely is recognizable, whatever track of him you play, most people would be able to pin point the name of the guy even if they're not into it. And with this one, he doesn't even sound like "usual" Manson. Almost every song is interesting in this record if you look at them separately, but as a whole, I have a problem with the transitions and their placement in the album. That's why there's a lower score for songwriting than originality.
04.01.2015 - 16:22
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Ilham on 04.01.2015 at 16:10

It's one of his best selling singles and would you have been around at the time of Hollywood/The Golden Age Of Grotesque you wouldn't laugh. It wasn't an expression of what I prefer or would call his best songs, but that's what every 13 yo blasted at "parties".

Of course I was around then, I was just thinking more along the lines of Lunchbox, or Deformography, but then again, those are more my preferences than chart toppers
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
04.01.2015 - 17:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I'm in love with that artwork. I could already tell that something changed and then I heard the video and went "...oh". That track sounds excellent. I've been wanting to recheck all his works as I only listened to them when I was way younger because my older stepbrother did it. But never really got the chance to listen to his stuff on my own except the classics.... Feelz good to see/hear that he still has something to offer.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.01.2015 - 18:22
addiction
Nicely written review! I haven't listened to the album yet (except 2 songs), but I want to even more now. The only comment I can make is that I disagree that his last 3-4 albums were that bad... I can hear in these 2 songs so far that the style is exactly the same as it was in the last 3 albums actually... It is just that when an artist/band change their style, they need time to get it right. So, I assume that this time around they improved on the previous ones, but I very much doubt (if I repeat these 2 songs I listened to are anything to go by, and I am sure they are) they made something very different. Well done for the review again, very enjoyable read!
----
alive in the superunknown
04.01.2015 - 18:28
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by addiction on 04.01.2015 at 18:22

Nicely written review! I haven't listened to the album yet (except 2 songs), but I want to even more now. The only comment I can make is that I disagree that his last 3-4 albums were that bad... I can hear in these 2 songs so far that the style is exactly the same as it was in the last 3 albums actually... It is just that when an artist/band change their style, they need time to get it right. So, I assume that this time around they improved on the previous ones, but I very much doubt (if I repeat these 2 songs I listened to are anything to go by, and I am sure they are) they made something very different. Well done for the review again, very enjoyable read!

First of all, thank you, very appreciated. And second thing: you bring a very good point. I haven't thought about it this way, but maybe that the big change I feel/hear is mostly the change in quality, not that much in style. I do think he went further with the bluesy approach, and maybe's that's why he just got rid of the little industrial harshness he still had in the others. I suppose I was just surprised to see myself like this one so much, unlike the others, that I might have exaggerated the change. Thanks for making me realise that .
04.01.2015 - 20:52
Rating: 6
Olives
Well guess I should check it out then
04.01.2015 - 21:47
addiction
Written by Ilham on 04.01.2015 at 18:28

First of all, thank you, very appreciated. And second thing: you bring a very good point. I haven't thought about it this way, but maybe that the big change I feel/hear is mostly the change in quality, not that much in style. I do think he went further with the bluesy approach, and maybe's that's why he just got rid of the little industrial harshness he still had in the others. I suppose I was just surprised to see myself like this one so much, unlike the others, that I might have exaggerated the change. Thanks for making me realise that .

First of all, you're welcome! As I said, I still need to listen to the whole album. As for the last 3 albums of his, they're not great, but definitely not that bad. There are good songs in all those albums. Hopefully, as you said the approach this time around is more bluesy and they have improved on what they have been trying to do for some years now. I generally don't like saying bad things about albums unless they are absolutely horrible and this is the only reason why I said what I said. The previous albums lead to this one and if this one is good, then they were worth it. Also, one thing to note is that I have not commented on anything for years here, mainly because people got offended for absolutely no reason at all. I believe that talking about music is very enjoyable, but absolutely no reason to fight about. So, I am actually very glad you took my comment exactly how you should have taken it! And the way you wrote the review was so enjoyable that you made someone that generally does not comment, to comment. Have a good day!
----
alive in the superunknown
04.01.2015 - 22:18
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by addiction on 04.01.2015 at 21:47

First of all, you're welcome! As I said, I still need to listen to the whole album. As for the last 3 albums of his, they're not great, but definitely not that bad. There are good songs in all those albums. Hopefully, as you said the approach this time around is more bluesy and they have improved on what they have been trying to do for some years now. I generally don't like saying bad things about albums unless they are absolutely horrible and this is the only reason why I said what I said. The previous albums lead to this one and if this one is good, then they were worth it. Also, one thing to note is that I have not commented on anything for years here, mainly because people got offended for absolutely no reason at all. I believe that talking about music is very enjoyable, but absolutely no reason to fight about. So, I am actually very glad you took my comment exactly how you should have taken it! And the way you wrote the review was so enjoyable that you made someone that generally does not comment, to comment. Have a good day!

Well your little eye-opening comments made me want to go back to those albums and give them another chance with that idea kept in mind. If I do see emerge the evolution you are talking about, it'll certainly change the way I feel about them.

Well, when you're posting inoffensive, interesting and sensible comments like these, I - or anyone else - should have no reason to attack you. I do not mind discussing music with people I don't agree with either, but I usually operate under a policy of "talk shit, get shot". Meaning: if I am told something impolitely, I don't react well, whatever the subject is . So thank you for the kind words again, it's the best thing to hear after writing a review. I do hope you'll comment again if you have more interesting things to say. When you get to hear the whole album for example. Cheers
05.01.2015 - 00:13
Sunny Pagliaccio
Staff's PITA
Very beautifully written, I bow with admiration to the reviewer.

Otherwise you can still hear the typical MM techniques, but yeah it does sound a lot more mature and simple, yet I'd say elegant.
----
I wish, I wish I was a fish. With wings. And long mane. And maybe a halo. Possibly shape-shifting.
05.01.2015 - 00:16
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Sunny Pagliaccio on 05.01.2015 at 00:13

Otherwise you can still hear the typical MM techniques, but yeah it does sound a lot more mature and simple, yet I'd say elegant.

Goddamn this is your first comment ever! I am proud to have broken your post count hymen. Thank you for the compliment . Indeed, elegant - damn I should have used that word.
05.01.2015 - 00:18
Sunny Pagliaccio
Staff's PITA
Written by Ilham on 05.01.2015 at 00:16

Written by Sunny Pagliaccio on 05.01.2015 at 00:13

Goddamn this is your first comment ever! I am proud to have broken your post count hymen. Thank you for the compliment . Indeed, elegant - damn I should have used that word.

Haha, actually it's not, I just changed my username and all. But yeah, it's been a while and something has to really grab me in order for me to comment. I love your style and genuinely hope to read new reviews from you. <3
----
I wish, I wish I was a fish. With wings. And long mane. And maybe a halo. Possibly shape-shifting.
05.01.2015 - 00:47
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Sunny Pagliaccio on 05.01.2015 at 00:18

Haha, actually it's not, I just changed my username and all. But yeah, it's been a while and something has to really grab me in order for me to comment. I love your style and genuinely hope to read new reviews from you. <3

["oh stop it you" meme]
Oh that explains it then. Glad a Manson review got a few lurkers out of the dark, I really didn't expect that .
05.01.2015 - 17:36
Slayer666
At first I thought Ilham finally lost it completely, giving Manson a positive review, but "Third Day of a Seven Day Binge" is surprisingly good, so I took the review more seriously.

Congrats, you made me want to check out a Marilyn Manson album when it comes out.
05.01.2015 - 17:48
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Slayer666 on 05.01.2015 at 17:36

At first I thought Ilham finally lost it completely, giving Manson a positive review, but "Third Day of a Seven Day Binge" is surprisingly good, so I took the review more seriously.

Congrats, you made me want to check out a Marilyn Manson album when it comes out.

Haha yeah you can't imagine the rush of adrenaline when I published it. I was expecting so much dumb comments à la "Manson suxx u noob", but I was surprised to see I really wasn't the only one to change my mind on him. "Third Day Of A Seven Day Binge" is to me the best in that album, so they all won't be like that, but accompanied by songs like "Killing Strangers", "Wharship My Wreck", "Deep Six" and "Devil Beneath My Feet", it makes enough of great material to make up for the couple of duds. Enjoy, looking forward to hear your final impression .
05.01.2015 - 21:42
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Thumbs up Ilham, because this was one of the reviews I read on MS after a long time and actually got an idea of what to expect from an album.

I'm really intrigued to hearing this album, I always am when it comes to MM. One of the bands that I have always enjoyed listening to, not all albums equally, but in my book Mechanical Animals owns it. It's good to know old Manson still has something hidden up his sleeves and I have always liked how he pursued different styles over the years.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
05.01.2015 - 22:17
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by AnGina-- on 05.01.2015 at 21:42

Thumbs up Ilham, because this was one of the reviews I read on MS after a long time and actually got an idea of what to expect from an album.

I'm really intrigued to hearing this album, I always am when it comes to MM. One of the bands that I have always enjoyed listening to, not all albums equally, but in my book Mechanical Animals owns it. It's good to know old Manson still has something hidden up his sleeves and I have always liked how he pursued different styles over the years.

It looks like I am spamming my own review, but each time someone comments, it's either a long-time lurker, or a new commenter, or someone who doesn't usually read reviews - so I find it important to answer:
- thank you, it's very nice to hear ,
- it must have to do with the fact it's the first Manson I got in my hands, I too hold the Mechanical Animals closer to my heart than the others, but this one is some serious competition now.
06.01.2015 - 06:25
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Don't want to quote Ilham again as lot of traffic swung here and she must be bogged to reply to each and everyone.

Anyway, it sounds promising and will check out soon.
06.01.2015 - 22:44
Erik M.
Do you get paid for doing MS reviews, Ilham? If so, you would make quite a lot of money seeing the large amount of reviews you write.
06.01.2015 - 23:06
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Erik M. on 06.01.2015 at 22:44

Do you get paid for doing MS reviews, Ilham? If so, you would make quite a lot of money seeing the large amount of reviews you write.

I actually enjoy it, really. Makes me motivated to check out new stuff, improves my English, and might help a few souls find some new music. And most importantly, takes my mind off things, and the bonus: I get some nice compliments sometimes. That's all the payment I need .
06.01.2015 - 23:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 06.01.2015 at 23:06

I actually enjoy it, really. Makes me motivated to check out new stuff, improves my English, and might help a few souls find some new music. And most importantly, takes my mind off things, and the bonus: I get some nice compliments sometimes. That's all the payment I need .

Who even gets paid for reviewing online these days? Very few people I'd wager.
06.01.2015 - 23:17
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 06.01.2015 at 23:11

Who even gets paid for reviewing online these days? Very few people I'd wager.

It's obvious and well-known that no MS reviewer gets paid anyway (unless they all lied ), so I can't really shake the feeling it was a comment on the time I must be spending on writing them. You know. *cough*.
07.01.2015 - 17:55
bloodface
Written by Ilham on 04.01.2015 at 11:54

Written by Guest on 04.01.2015 at 05:02

Since always, I've done it a couple times a few reviews ago. It's just that nobody does, weirdly.

More should do it. The lack of 3rd party content probably has to do with reviewers/critics being generally misguided and under the impression that their words are the draw rather than a short point of view of what the real draw is.
10.02.2015 - 09:24
Gelati
Surprisingly chill. Not what I expected that's for sure. I dig it.

Hits total: 9912 | This month: 28