Metal Storm logo
So I Heard You Like Opeth...

My other lists:
Tasty Stuff Not Currently Featured On MS
Most Talented Vocalists In Metal

"Which bands sound like Opeth?" It seems that perennial question has plagued fans and non-fans of the band alike since their inception. I have created this list in an effort to guide those hapless souls to the answer. Feast your eyes the exhaustive list of bands who take the word influence too literally (barring the obvious) for the better or...for you to decide. Enjoy and don't hesitate to recommend any bands fitting this description.

Links to all bands not currently featured on Metal Storm are provided below:
Adeia
Orion (IN)

Created by: LeKiwi | 07.04.2015

1. Adeia - Serenity
2. Alley - Amphibious
3. Altesia - Paragon Circus
4. Aquilus - Griseus
5. Barren Earth - Curse Of The Red River
6. Dan Swanö - Moontower
7. Dark Suns - Grave Human Genuine
8. De Profundis - The Emptiness Within
9. Derelict Earth - Below The Empty Skies
10. Descend - Wither
11. Edge Of Sanity - Crimson
12. Farmakon - Robin
13. Guillotine (IND) - The Cynic
14. Gwynbleidd - Nostalgia
15. Ikuinen Kaamos - Closure
16. In Mourning - Shrouded Divine
17. Lascaille's Shroud - Interval 02: Parallel Infinities - The Abscinded Universe
18. Lunar - Theogony
19. Luna's Call - Void
20. Man Made Origin - False Consciousness
21. Martriden - Cold And The Silence
22. Naeramarth - The Innumerable Stars
23. Obsidian Tide - Pillars Of Creation
24. Orion (IN) - On the Banks Of Rubicon
25. Ørkenkjøtt - Ønskediktet
26. Perihelion Ship - To Paint A Bird Of Fire
27. Pictura - The Equilibration Of Minds, Vol. I
28. Pressure Points - Remorses To Remember
29. Sikasa - Matter Earth
30. Spires - The Whisperer
31. Steorrah - II: Thin White Paint
32. Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams
33. The Advent Equation - Limitless Life Reflections
34. Vinsta - Wiads
35. Weight Of Emptiness - Withered Paradogma
36. Wilderun - Veil Of Imagination
37. Wills Dissolve - The Heavens Are Not On Fire...
38. Witherscape - The Inheritance
39. ------------------------------------------
40. Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
41. Opeth - Still Life
42. Opeth - Blackwater Park
43. Opeth - Deliverance
44. Opeth - Damnation
45. Opeth - Ghost Reveries
46. Opeth - Watershed

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by LeKiwi ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 64   Visited by: 605 users
07.04.2015 - 05:01
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Added:
- Alley
- Barren Earth
- Dan Swanö
- Dark Suns
- De Profundis
- Derelict Earth
- Descend
- Edge Of Sanity
- Farmakon
- Guillotine
- Gwynbleidd
- In Mourning
- Pictura
- Spires
- Steorrah
- The Advent Equation
- Witherscape
07.04.2015 - 06:11
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
No Lascaille's Shroud on a list of Opeth-esque bands...? O_o tsk tsk
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

07.04.2015 - 13:11
Eternity'sChild
While I think that the style of Opeth and In Mourning sound quite different to me, I like seeing In Mourning's Shrouded Divine featured in your list. Listened to it recently - such a great album! I probably will check out stuff from this list in the near future, since I enjoy a lot of music that goes in this direction.
07.04.2015 - 14:16
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by psykometal on 07.04.2015 at 06:11

No Lascaille's Shroud on a list of Opeth-esque bands...? O_o tsk tsk

Damn it, I don't have that one in my collection

Edit: had a listen and it sounds more focused on prog melodeath than Opeth-esque extreme prog. Just my opinion anyway, but if someone else agrees I'll add it for that sake
07.04.2015 - 19:04
Lit.
Account deleted
I agree on adding Lascaille's Shroud.

Good list. Surprised to find a lot of albums I like in here.
07.04.2015 - 19:33
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 07.04.2015 at 19:04

I agree on adding Lascaille's Shroud.

Good list. Surprised to find a lot of albums I like in here.

Just adding them now.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it - I'd especially recommend the more obscure bands.
07.04.2015 - 19:35
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Added:
- Lascaille's Shroud
08.04.2015 - 02:33
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 07.04.2015 at 19:35

Added:
- Lascaille's Shroud

Does Brett not have the albums for free on Bandcamp anymore?
----

08.04.2015 - 02:39
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by psykometal on 08.04.2015 at 02:33

Does Brett not have the albums for free on Bandcamp anymore?

He sure does - why do you ask?
08.04.2015 - 03:21
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 08.04.2015 at 02:39

He sure does - why do you ask?

You said you don't have Lascaille's Shroud in your collection, so I'm just confused as to why not when you can acquire them for free.
----

08.04.2015 - 14:35
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by psykometal on 08.04.2015 at 03:21

You said you don't have Lascaille's Shroud in your collection, so I'm just confused as to why not when you can acquire them for free.

Oh, I see what you meant now. I don't like the music so I deleted it
08.04.2015 - 14:58
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 08.04.2015 at 14:35

Oh, I see what you meant now. I don't like the music so I deleted it

:guffawguffawguffaw: Blasphemy!!! Of all the prog music you listen to and Lascaille's Shroud is the one you don't like?!
----

11.04.2015 - 10:39
qnick90
Miss there few bands/albums, which are similiar to Opeth at some point, although this is very subjective matter and therefore arguable

Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I - Progressive, but pretensious. The song "And plague flowers the kaleidoscope" is a killer

Alcest - Écailles the lune - Very poetic, the songs have slow gradation, mix of beautiful singing and child like screams (Neige said, that this album is about his childhood)

Agalloch - Ashes against the grain - Beautiful music, but personally I hate the vocals :\

Katatonia - Brave murder day - Yeah Akerfeldt did the harsh vocals on this one and the music is depressing, so I think it is pretty "must have"

Asgaut - Village - Bad production, but very interresting

Bel´akor - This is just a very interresting melodeath, but many people reccomend this to Opeth fans (try "Countless skyes" song)

Dissection - Storm of the lights bane - No clean vocals on this one, but the death cold atmosphere is great, besides, the acoustic songs on this and previous albums remind me the best from Orchid and Morningrise, try "Where dead angels lie"

Porcupine Tree - Fear of the blank planet - If you like damnation, this should be your first check

Forest of Shadows - Departure - It is doom, but you can find here and there some signs of progression

Rapture - Songs for Withering - Less complicated, more remindindg of Brave murder day era of Katatonia, but there are some good riffs, growls and clean singing

ReVolt - Seasons of Oblivion - Interesting album from Pakistan

Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended animation Dreams - Very refreshing music with Paul Kuhr on vocals - try "Wolf among sheep"

Uaral - Sounds of pain - Oh this is a hard one. Folk music from Chile with some metal elements can´t be similiar to Opeth! BUT the sad atmosphere, haunting acoustic guitars, deep, deep growl and disheartening clean vocals somehow put me in the same mood as while i listen to the Opeth´s earlier albums
11.04.2015 - 12:18
Lethrokai
I'm curious, have you heard the new Wilderun album? Definitely got some really interesting Opeth vibes from that one.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
11.04.2015 - 12:21
Ilham
Giant robot
^^ I dislike/am not interested in all the bands in that comment and yet I know they have very very little in common with Opeth.
11.04.2015 - 13:24
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I don't like Opeth, henceforth this list doesn't interest me.

Sorry Lekiwi.
11.04.2015 - 15:15
Zap
Thank you for your ever so insightful input.
11.04.2015 - 17:40
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Lethrokai on 11.04.2015 at 12:18

I'm curious, have you heard the new Wilderun album? Definitely got some really interesting Opeth vibes from that one.

I'll check it out
14.04.2015 - 11:11
Lethrokai
Written by Ilham on 11.04.2015 at 12:21

^^ I dislike/am not interested in all the bands in that comment and yet I know they have very very little in common with Opeth.

Sorry, I think I ruined your comment for you.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
15.04.2015 - 23:07
paragraph7
I've only listened to like half of what's on that list but... "Progressive Death Metal" as Opeth is usually labeled as, is kind of a weird genre IMO. You have Opeth and then you have bands with 10 minute songs featuring low-pitched growls and acoustic breaks. I mean, if a bands wants to go "progressive", as in trying to explore the limits of a genre, shouldn't they be experimenting with time signatures and harmony and trying to make something different than Opeth? What most of the bands in this vein also tend to forget is groove. The straight line double bass blast beat almost like programmed into the metronome won't cut it here. Neither will those power chords or Aeolian scales for that matter. Throw in a dim7 or a maj7 for gods sake.

Why is it that in the 70s you had bands like King Crimson, Yes and ELP (to name only a few) who all were "progressive rock" but still sounded WAY different?

Technically, if I had to recommend a band to someone who likes Opeth, it would be Gojira. But only because of their groove.
15.04.2015 - 23:23
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by paragraph7 on 15.04.2015 at 23:07

I've only listened to like half of what's on that list but... "Progressive Death Metal" as Opeth is usually labeled as, is kind of a weird genre IMO. You have Opeth and then you have bands with 10 minute songs featuring low-pitched growls and acoustic breaks. I mean, if a bands wants to go "progressive", as in trying to explore the limits of a genre, shouldn't they be experimenting with time signatures and harmony and trying to make something different than Opeth? What most of the bands in this vein also tend to forget is groove. The straight line double bass blast beat almost like programmed into the metronome won't cut it here. Neither will those power chords or Aeolian scales for that matter. Throw in a dim7 or a maj7 for gods sake.

Why is it that in the 70s you had bands like King Crimson, Yes and ELP (to name only a few) who all were "progressive rock" but still sounded WAY different?

Technically, if I had to recommend a band to someone who likes Opeth, it would be Gojira. But only because of their groove.

I'm not trying to offer anything remotely unique with this list - I'm simply trying to answer the age-old question. People want to know what bands sound like Opeth, and this is the answer I'd take a more innovative band over these any day, but there's a point in a die-hard Opeth fan's life when all the want to hear is more Opeth.
15.04.2015 - 23:34
paragraph7
Written by LeKiwi on 15.04.2015 at 23:23

Written by paragraph7 on 15.04.2015 at 23:07

I'm not trying to offer anything remotely unique with this list - I'm simply trying to answer the age-old question. People want to know what bands sound like Opeth, and this is the answer I'd take a more innovative band over these any day, but there's a point in a die-hard Opeth fan's life when all the want to hear is more Opeth.

Yeah sure I get that. I wasn't really critiquing your list rather than rambling in general. But perhaps I meant to say that to some Opeth fans, like me, all the bands who are "trying to play the same music as Opeth" or trying to convey the same emotion, are going about it wrong. I was once recommended In Mourning as "really similar to Opeth" and I had to ask the guy if he'd listen to Opeth enough But you know.. there's the low growls... and acoustic guitars...

Anyway, I have to check your list more thorough when I have the chance.
15.04.2015 - 23:49
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by paragraph7 on 15.04.2015 at 23:34

Yeah sure I get that. I wasn't really critiquing your list rather than rambling in general. But perhaps I meant to say that to some Opeth fans, like me, all the bands who are "trying to play the same music as Opeth" or trying to convey the same emotion, are going about it wrong. I was once recommended In Mourning as "really similar to Opeth" and I had to ask the guy if he'd listen to Opeth enough But you know.. there's the low growls... and acoustic guitars...

Anyway, I have to check your list more thorough when I have the chance.

Definitely with you on that. There's more to music than Opeth, some people just need time to get over the first phase of obsession

Let me know what you think anyway
17.04.2015 - 21:46
Erik M.
Have heard nearly half of the albums on your list and definitely agree with those being included. Plus, I like the concept and the fact that you finally have made a comprehensible short list, so a +1 is well-deserved.
17.04.2015 - 22:13
Erik M.
Written by qnick90 on 11.04.2015 at 10:39

Miss there few bands/albums, which are similiar to Opeth at some point, although this is very subjective matter and therefore arguable

Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I - Progressive, but pretensious. The song "And plague flowers the kaleidoscope" is a killer

Alcest - Écailles the lune - Very poetic, the songs have slow gradation, mix of beautiful singing and child like screams (Neige said, that this album is about his childhood)

Agalloch - Ashes against the grain - Beautiful music, but personally I hate the vocals :\

Katatonia - Brave murder day - Yeah Akerfeldt did the harsh vocals on this one and the music is depressing, so I think it is pretty "must have"

Asgaut - Village - Bad production, but very interresting

Bel´akor - This is just a very interresting melodeath, but many people reccomend this to Opeth fans (try "Countless skyes" song)

Dissection - Storm of the lights bane - No clean vocals on this one, but the death cold atmosphere is great, besides, the acoustic songs on this and previous albums remind me the best from Orchid and Morningrise, try "Where dead angels lie"

Porcupine Tree - Fear of the blank planet - If you like damnation, this should be your first check

Forest of Shadows - Departure - It is doom, but you can find here and there some signs of progression

Rapture - Songs for Withering - Less complicated, more remindindg of Brave murder day era of Katatonia, but there are some good riffs, growls and clean singing

ReVolt - Seasons of Oblivion - Interesting album from Pakistan

Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended animation Dreams - Very refreshing music with Paul Kuhr on vocals - try "Wolf among sheep"

Uaral - Sounds of pain - Oh this is a hard one. Folk music from Chile with some metal elements can´t be similiar to Opeth! BUT the sad atmosphere, haunting acoustic guitars, deep, deep growl and disheartening clean vocals somehow put me in the same mood as while i listen to the Opeth´s earlier albums

I have heard almost all of these albums and I like most of them too, but none of them are actually similar to Opeth. Not even Brave Murder Day even though it features Akerfeldt's vocals.
18.04.2015 - 03:18
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Erik M. on 17.04.2015 at 21:46

Have heard nearly half of the albums on your list and definitely agree with those being included. Plus, I like the concept and the fact that you finally have made a comprehensible short list, so a +1 is well-deserved.
I knew we'd come to some sort of resolution in the end
Written by Erik M. on 17.04.2015 at 22:13

I have heard almost all of these albums and I like most of them too, but none of them are actually similar to Opeth. Not even Brave Murder Day even though it features Akerfeldt's vocals.
Yeah, I'm with you and Ilham in that respect. Sorry, qnick90
19.04.2015 - 15:39
Erik M.
Written by LeKiwi on 18.04.2015 at 03:18

Obviously. I think almost no-one would agree with him seeing as those bands are so different from Opeth in many aspects (most aren't even prog, FFS). And it might be a stretch but the new Enslaved reminds me of Opeth at times. What do you think?

Btw, I listened to Gwynbleidd - Nostalgia and it's probably the most similar band to Opeth I've ever heard. And it's a great album as well. It definitely beats Opeth's latest 2 or 3 albums, without a doubt.
20.04.2015 - 05:47
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Erik M. on 19.04.2015 at 15:39
And it might be a stretch but the new Enslaved reminds me of Opeth at times. What do you think?

Btw, I listened to Gwynbleidd - Nostalgia and it's probably the most similar band to Opeth I've ever heard. And it's a great album as well. It definitely beats Opeth's latest 2 or 3 albums, without a doubt.

I loved the album, but hearing that comparison I'll definitely check it out again soon and let you know. I've always thought Enslaved and Opeth held some distinct similarities though

Glad to hear you enjoyed Nostalgia - it's a great album indeed. I can't say the same about the comparison to Opeth as I quite enjoyed their last two albums
20.04.2015 - 11:45
qnick90
Written by LeKiwi on 18.04.2015 at 03:18

Written by Erik M. on 17.04.2015 at 21:46

I knew we'd come to some sort of resolution in the end
Written by Erik M. on 17.04.2015 at 22:13

Yep, but it is closer than, let´s say... Justin Bieber, right? Well the difficult thing about bands similiar to Opeth is that Opeth changed their style so much, they are completely different band now than they were in 1995, so Gwynbleidd are similiar to their early era, but they have nothing to do with Opeth´s contemporary music. And in terms of similarity I more thought, that Opeth fans might like this bands, so I just took it more as a reccomendation...
26.05.2015 - 20:18
bluesentai
I made an account here so I could post here.

Btw, I LOVE your Tasty MetalStorm list. Been cranking that stuff for over a week. Too bad Luke Kelly is really bad with his liner notes on what plugins he used for Holligans. DAMN IT

But... on to the point of my post:

The MOST Opeth sounding band that I've ever heard is this:

ikuinen kaamos

Specifically their EP Closure.

Hits total: 33421 | This month: 78