Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2019

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 14.11.2018 - 08:36
Recommend metal albums from 2019.

Dissonant black death from Denver, Colorado.

Noctambulist

31.01.2019 - 18:26
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Gateway then now Terre. Gateway was very good death/doom, this is direct filthy sludge.

01.02.2019 - 19:28
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Spanish black metal that brings to mind vivid religious images from the repetitive riffs and the chant-like vocals.

Meszaroth

Sludge / Fuzz goodness with the new four way split from these bands featuring one of the coolest covers for a split album ever.

Dopelord / Weedpecker / Major Kong / Spaceslug

Instrumental stoner / sludge with a bassist and twin drummer lineup.

The Lumberjack Feedback

Naas Alcameth, the guy behind the awesome Nightbringer and madderning Akhlys returns with yet another project. Sounds almost Nightbringer but darker and more black. A perfect pick if you found the latest Nightbringer a bit too melodic, like me.

Aoratos

Death Attaxx!!

Thundering and incredibly bass-heavy black/death metal from Israel.

Zohama

Great old school swedish death.

Wretched Fate

Pretty lo-fi doom death metal oozing with deep guttural vocals and shreiking solos.

Caustic Vomit

"Aggressive, filthy, noisey, blackened metal from the bowels of Ohio - Toledo. Sharing a member with Death Metal up-in-comers Mutilatred, these extreme metal fanatics created some truly disturbing Blackened Death that culls up some early Norwegian Black Metal vibes.."

Meka

Sickening death from Southern California.

Crematory Stench

Florida death featuring the member of Lascaille's Shroud on guitars and vocals.

Soulmass

04.02.2019 - 13:56
Mercurial
Well Totalitarian are back. They / he seems to have abandoned most of the eerie, atmospheric dissonance of the debut album in favour of a more straightforward, blasty black affair. Not sure it's going to be my bag now.

04.02.2019 - 21:06
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Oppressively heavy, drawn-out, emotional and dark one-man funeral doom from Tunisia featuring lots of organ and religious undertones. The eponymous track from their sophomore coming out soon this year. This is something to keep an eye out for.

Omination

04.02.2019 - 21:11
Mercurial
Yeah that seemed quite good when I heard that earlier.
06.02.2019 - 13:56
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Adorable blackwave sort of thing. More like ambient black with some sinthy beats:

Outworlder - Droid Spiritual

Also an epic 1-track avantgarde death metal ep:

Necro Cannibal Machinery - Serenity
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.02.2019 - 12:04
Mercurial
Rather good dynamic black / death metal. Almost feels a little like one of those post-death bands at times but keeps it slightly in the proggy / tech realm despite sounding organic.

Ceremony of Silence

Sweet mix of black metal and cavernous sludge doom with swirling post-atmospherics. Wicked atmosphere.

Vous Autres

Very nice, languorous heavy doom with a slight psyche edge.

The Well

Cool sounding post-metal with atypical sound. Gets heavy and dense, and really dig the vocals here.

The Haunting Green

Ultra nasty atmospheric hardcore, in a very literal sense. Has nice rhythmic sections but with a thick, sludgy intensity. [EDIT: 2018 release however]

Comess

More nice heavy metal. This one has a giant pig on the artwork.

Black Sites

New Latitudes album. Big, dreamy post-metalscape with sleepy vocals.

Latitudes

Very good Swedish black metal. Not experimental in any way but they definitely have a unique sound.

Blodskam

One of the most "doom" doom albums I've heard in a bit. Fucking slow, proper downtrodden, spartan and empty songs, mega-tortured vocals and a little bit of noise influence.

An Empty Room

Spazzy mathcore with lots of short songs and a Cowboy Bebop name.

SeeYouSpaceCowboy

Already posted in the album thread, but the new Crowhurst track is too good to miss.

Crowhurst
07.02.2019 - 13:03
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
And thus it was February that I completely lost track of this thread
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
07.02.2019 - 23:42
Mercurial
Pretty gosh darn massive and epic sounding black / doom.

Also, the best DSBM band are back.

Advent Sorrow

Blue Hummingbird's full length now out. Not sure how I feel about it tbh, it's good for what it is, but what it is is not very BTC.

Blue Hummingbird On The Left

Modern, technical prog with Katatonia-esque vocals.

Sermon
11.02.2019 - 13:57
Mercurial
Incredibe, intense experimental black metal. I would definitely say for fans of Mories' work or someone who wants something a bit more approachable, but the breadth of sounds and influences involved may even put his projects to shame.

Jorge Elbrecht
(Full thing here.)

Also amazing psychedelic d-beat from Brazil. These guys have created a pretty damn fine sound.

DEAFKIDS
(Another track here.)

Nice primitive thrash which I guess some people might call "blackened." Guessing that great art is by the person that did Obliteration's.

Inculter

Some kind of excellent metallic hardcore stuff.

Eyes

Sordide's new album is now fully listenable. It's excellent. Winding, earthy and challenging post-hardcore laden black metal with sweet bass.

Sordide

Finally, it's streaming.

Kaleikr
(Full stream here.)

And now the new Funereal Presence is streaming. What a good few days for music.

13.02.2019 - 00:12
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Psychedelic metal from Germany.

14.02.2019 - 00:25
Mercurial
Nasty ass black / death from Vitriol on Iron Bonehead. Wish I could find a bigger version of that art.

Juicy ultra sludge.

Blind Monarch

Rather good progressive trad doom, has more of an edge than your usual.

The Ghost Next Door
14.02.2019 - 20:22
Quatropus
I don't do explanations of genres with my posts, sorry. I randomly throw stuff up here so you guys can take your chance with it. Gamble. Maybe you'll find something new.

15.02.2019 - 14:04
Mercurial
Nicely produced tech-death, FFO of Anata and Gorod.

Virophacus

Morphinist keeping up the pace with yet another album. This time some pretty excellent sounding black metal with great, epic melodies.

Morphinist

Vindsval recommended black metal. Medieval, melodic and super riffy.

Véhémence

Not sure I really ever listened to Inter Arma, but I'll definitely be listening to this album. Single is some viciously percussive, Gojira-esque death / post / sludge doom (not sure why they're called black doom if this is what they sound like).

Inter Arma

Vanum album, comprised of Ash Borer and Yellow Eyes members, now fully listenable. Somewhat melodic black metal. A bit boring considering the pedigree.

15.02.2019 - 14:21
Mercurial
Written by Quatropus on 14.02.2019 at 20:22

I don't do explanations of genres with my posts, sorry. I randomly throw stuff up here so you guys can take your chance with it. Gamble. Maybe you'll find something new.

You should write the band names in at least so people can search for them. To avoid reposts.
15.02.2019 - 17:24
Quatropus
Written by Mercurial on 15.02.2019 at 14:21

You should write the band names in at least so people can search for them. To avoid reposts.

Never thought about that. K, that'll I do. Thanks for the heads up.
16.02.2019 - 16:36
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Harrowing lofi black demo from spain. Production and sound right up my alley. Seems to be a demo released in end of 2018 but removed and planned for a physical release by Iron Bonehead.

Pestilength

16.02.2019 - 20:18
Mercurial
Pretty nice black metal split.

New Venom Prison track is predictably vicious. Sick, female fronted hardcore driven death metal. Her vocals sound much better than I remember.

Venom Prison

Weird avant-garde metal that is also good.

Winterblind

Spazzy structured, psychedelic prog sludge. Also good.

Blunt Horse
16.02.2019 - 22:55
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Quatropus on 15.02.2019 at 17:24

Written by Mercurial on 15.02.2019 at 14:21

Never thought about that. K, that'll I do. Thanks for the heads up.

While you're at it, it wouldn't hurt to add genre explanations =DD
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.02.2019 - 03:04
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Rania_d on 17.02.2019 at 00:11

Hi ,
Bring me the horizon_amo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MocF43ncu8I

I strongly doubt anyone will ever follow this link, because
1. it's not clickable
2. it's BMTH
3. it's by far their worst album ever
4. it's BMTH
----
signatures = SPAM
17.02.2019 - 19:50
Quatropus
Written by Starvynth on 17.02.2019 at 03:04

Written by Rania_d on 17.02.2019 at 00:11

Hi ,
Bring me the horizon_amo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MocF43ncu8I

I strongly doubt anyone will ever follow this link, because
1. it's not clickable
2. it's BMTH
3. it's by far their worst album ever
4. it's BMTH

Most likely lol but even as a non-BMTH fan, I think the more enjoyable stuff on that album are the uses of electronics. Mainly I just really enjoy the opening track and one other.
17.02.2019 - 19:54
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Second new Vukari track with a cover than is even better than the one for the earlier released track.

17.02.2019 - 20:08
Mercurial
Yeah it's gonna be a good little demo.
17.02.2019 - 21:55
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Quatropus on 17.02.2019 at 19:50

Most likely lol but even as a non-BMTH fan, I think the more enjoyable stuff on that album are the uses of electronics. Mainly I just really enjoy the opening track and one other.

Well, I've never been a fan of them either, but I used to like e.g. Caliban 15 years ago and watched the development of metalcore from a distance. BMTH still played deathcore back then, now it's radio-friendly alternative rock - but not in a good way.
I'm just sorry for their old fans. But imaging their new fans scares me quite a bit, to be honest.
----
signatures = SPAM
17.02.2019 - 22:36
Quatropus
Written by Starvynth on 17.02.2019 at 21:55

Written by Quatropus on 17.02.2019 at 19:50

Well, I've never been a fan of them either, but I used to like e.g. Caliban 15 years ago and watched the development of metalcore from a distance. BMTH still played deathcore back then, now it's radio-friendly alternative rock - but not in a good way.
I'm just sorry for their old fans. But imaging their new fans scares me quite a bit, to be honest.

Oh yeah, I feel ya. I actually never listened to BMTH ever. I had friends who did listen to them but like at that time I was also diving deeper into like MeloDeath and Black Metal, as well as just the weird Prog shit lol. But no, I totally agree with the radio friendly statement. Also mentioned Caliban, I quite enjoy them a bit.
18.02.2019 - 00:43
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Quatropus on 17.02.2019 at 22:36

Oh yeah, I feel ya. I actually never listened to BMTH ever. I had friends who did listen to them but like at that time I was also diving deeper into like MeloDeath and Black Metal, as well as just the weird Prog shit lol. But no, I totally agree with the radio friendly statement. Also mentioned Caliban, I quite enjoy them a bit.

I guess I liked old Caliban by accident only. In 2003, they played live and for free in the streets of my home town. It was a few months after their breakthrough album Shadow Hearts, but they were still quite unknown at that time. Anyway, some people did knew them and those fellows built a massive circle-pit right there in one of Cologne's biggest shopping streets.
I literally stumbled into their gig (with ice-cream cone and shopping-bag in my hands) and didn't really know what was happening. But it was crazy as hell, I bruised myself several times and by the end of the song, my wafer was still there - but the ice-cream was spread all over the place and over quite some people.
I bought their newest CD right there and it's still my most favorite metalcore album of all time.

But I'm afraid we've gone slightly off-topic by now...
----
signatures = SPAM
18.02.2019 - 01:40
Quatropus
Written by Starvynth on 18.02.2019 at 00:43

I guess I liked old Caliban by accident only. In 2003, they played live and for free in the streets of my home town. It was a few months after their breakthrough album Shadow Hearts, but they were still quite unknown at that time. Anyway, some people did knew them and those fellows built a massive circle-pit right there in one of Cologne's biggest shopping streets.
I literally stumbled into their gig (with ice-cream cone and shopping-bag in my hands) and didn't really know what was happening. But it was crazy as hell, I bruised myself several times and by the end of the song, my wafer was still there - but the ice-cream was spread all over the place and over quite some people.
I bought their newest CD right there and it's still my most favorite metalcore album of all time.

But I'm afraid we've gone slightly off-topic by now...

Haha right. Yeah, slightly but it was good. To catch back up on the thread, you got any good recommendations for bands similar to Caliban?
18.02.2019 - 02:15
Maco
Pvt Funderground
The new Helevorn album is a blast. Death/Doom with Gothic elements. Also lovely cover artwork.

----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
18.02.2019 - 03:44
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Quatropus on 18.02.2019 at 01:40

Haha right. Yeah, slightly but it was good. To catch back up on the thread, you got any good recommendations for bands similar to Caliban?

As already said, I mostly watched Metalcore from a (secured) distance and learned to love Caliban by accident only, but nevertheless, there are some very few bands I can recommend with a safe conscience:

All Shall Perish
Deathcore from Oakland, CA, but they remind me of old Caliban and The Black Dahlia Murder here and there.
The Price Of Existence is their best album if you ask me, skip the rest if you don't like it.

Purified In Blood
Mixture of Metalcore and MeloDeath from Norway.
I love these guys and all of their albums, but the debut Reaper Of Souls made the best impression on me.

Raised Fist
Hardcore punk/metal from Sweden.
Well, they don't really sound like Caliban but if you happen to like any of the above, please check them out and let me know what you think. Sound Of The Republic is a good choice to get into this band. I recommend them because they make usage of some uncommon electronic and pop elements you would never expect from a band with hardcore roots.
Luckily, they do not remind me of BMTH at all.
----
signatures = SPAM
19.02.2019 - 16:33
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Mercurial on 14.02.2019 at 00:25

Nasty ass black / death from Vitriol on Iron Bonehead. Wish I could find a bigger version of that art.

Sounds awesome, lots of dimensions, layers or whatever and great darkness and those temposhifts are thumbs up.