Metal Storm logo
Agalloch

Original post

Posted by Detric, 28.05.2006 - 00:39
Okay we had a thread about this amazing band before all the threads got deleted, so I think its time for a new one, especially because they are about to release their new album Ashes Against The Grain. I cant remember when it will be released but I think it was August 8th or something. For those who dont know Agalloch, they are very hard to categorize but ill say they are a doom metal band, with alot of influences from post rock, gothic and even black metal. You can listen to the track Falling Snow from their upcoming album right here: http://www.theendrecords.com/label/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=38

Listen to The Mantle, and you will understand what im talking about, words cannot descbribe my love for that album.

Ive heard the new album is already leaked, if anyone's got it, and wanna share just PM me, would be pretty cool, cause I just cant wait! Ill buy it when it comes out, no doubt about that, but im just so desperate.

Cover and tracklist:

01. Limbs
02. Falling Snow
03. This White Mountain on Which You Will Die
04. Fire Above, Ice Below
05. Not unlike the Waves
06. Our Fortress Is Burning... I
07. Our Fortress Is Burning... II - Bloodbirds
08. Our Fortress Is Burning... III - The Grain
06.03.2011 - 12:52
Saturno
"Into The Painted Grey" is a very good song that it saves the new album of agalloch ,Marrow Of The Spirit
07.03.2011 - 05:57
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Pale Folklore is probably my least favorite of Agalloch's releases. I really like the new album. It was a bold move and I love the music. My favorite Agalloch album is probably Ashes Against the Grain though. I love that album.
21.03.2011 - 18:56
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I saw Agalloch on Saturday in Atlanta. The show was incredible. The energy, the music and everything was just breath taking. It was one of those shows that is good not because the performance was spot on, which it was btw, but because the audience and band were just so into the emotion and atmosphere.

The setlist was:
They Escaped the Weight of Darkness (intro)
Into the Painted Grey
Falling Snow
The Watcher's Monolith
Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor
Limbs
Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires
Our Fortress is Burning... II: Bloodbirds
Dead Winter Days
In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion
02.04.2011 - 00:18
Void_Eater
Account deleted
So I tried listening to Agalloch one day, and...
02.04.2011 - 01:01
ß
Problem?
Written by Guest on 02.04.2011 at 00:18

I always thought this before too. This all changed when I saw them live which finally allowed me to appreciate their studio releases.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
02.04.2011 - 07:19
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by ß on 02.04.2011 at 01:01

I always thought this before too. This all changed when I saw them live which finally allowed me to appreciate their studio releases.

I've heard other's say the exact same thing you just said. Maybe that's the key to enjoying the... Well, I'm a sucker for any metal show, so I'll be cathing them live when they come around.
07.04.2011 - 15:59
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 02.04.2011 at 07:19

Written by ß on 02.04.2011 at 01:01

I've heard other's say the exact same thing you just said. Maybe that's the key to enjoying the... Well, I'm a sucker for any metal show, so I'll be cathing them live when they come around.

Unless you have homework to do...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
08.04.2011 - 13:54
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
It took me a while to get into Agalloch too. I bought Ashes Against the Grain not too long after it was released and I liked a few of the songs on the album but I didn't really get it. It wasn't until a year or two ago that I really understood the band's music, but once I did I found myself listening all the time. So it was great to see them live a few weeks ago.
11.04.2011 - 09:07
Hellhound
I have a friend who swears by Agalloch and so far I haven't been able to get into them. From what I have read though it seems like a live show is really the way to get into those guys. I guess Ill just have to be happy listening to their albums until I can make it to a show...
19.04.2011 - 08:37
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Hellhound on 11.04.2011 at 09:07

I have a friend who swears by Agalloch and so far I haven't been able to get into them. From what I have read though it seems like a live show is really the way to get into those guys. I guess Ill just have to be happy listening to their albums until I can make it to a show...

Not even 'Not Unlike the Waves'? That song blew me away when i first heard it.
19.04.2011 - 10:47
Hellhound
Written by Dark Cornatus on 19.04.2011 at 08:37

Not even 'Not Unlike the Waves'? That song blew me away when i first heard it.

Thus far in my metal listening habits I have stuck mainly to Thrash, Groove, Death and Melodeath. My foray into black metal has included, for the most part, Primordial. However, you could argue that Primordial is Folk Metal and probably be just as close to the truth if you were to assume it was Black Metal. I guess the point of this verbose couple of sentences is to say: Thus far I have yet to find a black metal band that I enjoy as much as various other kinds of metal. It probably has something to do with the drum part. Typically black metal has a subtle drum part that is set back fairly far in the mix and as a drummer I can't help but prefer technically impressive drum parts. I do have to add that there is a special place in my heart for drum parts in Swing Jazz and the like.
19.04.2011 - 14:34
0rpheus
Agalloch - The Silence Of Forgotten Landscapes (Live 2009)

Tracklist:

1. Limbs
2. Falling Snow
3. As Embers Dress the Sky
4. Dead Winter Days
5. I Am The Wooden Doors
6. In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion
7. Not Unlike the Waves
8. Bloodbirds
----
I would prefer not to.
24.05.2011 - 03:15
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Those dudes are masterminds. One of the best bands I ever heard. The Mantle isn't fully a metal album, but it's a piece of art. Ashes Against The Grain is more metal, and very good. Limbs, Falling Snow, Not Unlike The Waves... Agalloch's riffs are unlike any other's. Everytime I hear Limbs or the intro to Falling Snow, it makes me shiver. From it's beauty.
30.05.2011 - 05:24
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Agalloch makes me happy.
30.05.2011 - 13:52
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by angusrobles on 30.05.2011 at 11:51

WATCH AND DOWNLOAD FREE

FUN GAMES |
HANGOVER 2 FREE ONLINE |
YOUTUBE MUSIC VIDEO

FUN games?! count me in!

love agalloch but wasnt crazy bout the new one...
31.05.2011 - 17:08
Tetravirulence
Once i was reading one Akerfeldt interview and the journalist asked him if he did listen to Agalloch from Portland, then on I checked the band and the rest is history, Agalloch became one of my all time favs
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
31.05.2011 - 17:55
VloRD
Agalloch is pretty hard to get into...The first album I heard was Marrow of the spirit, took few listen to get into, but I now enjoy the band so much...Imo Ashes.. is their best album...
----
30.08.2011 - 05:46
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Just finished listening to Marrow of the Spirit on vinyl. Soooo good.
31.08.2011 - 17:30
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted

Listen to them WHEN you want to sleep. Try "The Mantle".
Written by Guest on 08.04.2011 at 13:54

It took me a while to get into Agalloch too. I bought Ashes Against the Grain not too long after it was released and I liked a few of the songs on the album but I didn't really get it. It wasn't until a year or two ago that I really understood the band's music, but once I did I found myself listening all the time. So it was great to see them live a few weeks ago.

I got into them VERY EASILY.
01.09.2011 - 03:16
Pazu
So I was listening to both 'I Am The Wooden Doors' and 'In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion' the other day, while playing a pc game, and experienced something rather strange. It was almost as if I was sort of meditating without knowing it. What I did in the game was a quite repetitive task and I was pretty tired that night. Somewhen during those two songs it happened. It must have been minutes of me just doing my thing without thinking about anything but doing what I did kind of numb, almost like a machine. That was definately strange but really relaxing and honestly, I don't know, beautiful? ^^

Anyways, I tried to reenter that 'mindless' state a few times now but failed. Too bad, maybe I wasn't tired enough.^^
15.12.2011 - 03:33
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I just want to make sure all you Agalloch fans have heard John Haughm's new single. Here's Troy's review of it http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=9966 including the download link. It's an amazing single released only on limited edition, hand-numbered 7" vinyl, or for download. Not exactly like Agalloch, more ambient, but it's still John's composition so if you're reading this thread you'll probably dig it.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
15.12.2011 - 14:21
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Footage from the band's Tel Aviv trek:

15.12.2011 - 19:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Stupid people laughing and shit. STFU and enjoy the music.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.12.2011 - 09:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
After considering their 2010 release the most disappointing release of the year, I'm happy to say I've started appreciating it a bit more. It's still not groundbreaking, and I still think it's the weakest Agalloch release to date (aside from that Nest split and their remix/experimental EP), but it's grown on me in the past year.

----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.01.2012 - 04:41
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Agalloch are perfect for sunday afternoons/evenings when you just wanna relax and drink some red wine
09.01.2012 - 08:08
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I say they are perfect for any day of the week!
09.01.2012 - 17:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Amen to that.
----
19.01.2012 - 17:07
Pondscum
Great band. I am partial to The Mantle, thought that's the first one I heard. Not sure if they're "metal" or not, but there's definitely some metal blended into their sound.
21.01.2012 - 01:02
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Pondscum on 19.01.2012 at 17:07

Great band. I am partial to The Mantle, thought that's the first one I heard. Not sure if they're "metal" or not, but there's definitely some metal blended into their sound.

The Mantle is probably the "least metal" of their four studio albums with the other three being more so. The latest definitely had more of a black metal touch that prior releases.
03.02.2012 - 07:05
Apatheria
Agalloch's my favorite band, period. Very happy to see they have a following here.

Not long ago on their official facebook page, they announced plans for a full 30 date US tour sometime this summer. I've already seen them live six different times, but I'd love to shoot for a seventh and possibly eighth live viewing if they have multiple dates in the northwest...
----
Heavy metal is the law.