03. Eidolon
04. The Altar Of War
05. Dust In The Naught
06. Warlock
07. Dragon
08. The Oath
09. By The Light Of The Pyre
10. Cryogenisation [bonus]

Exocrine is a French progressive technical death metal band formed a little over a decade ago in 2013. These metallers have been on an impressively consistent streak of releases since their debut Unreal Existence back in 2015, and are one of the best modern death metal bands in my opinion since their 2018 release Molten Giant.

After Molten Giant’s release, they would drop Maelstrom in 2020 and then the fantastic Hybrid Suns in 2022, before releasing their latest and possibly greatest album Legend in 2024. After having a couple months to digest this record, I think I’m ready to say that this is yet again another career high for this very underrated band.

First off I’d like to point out the production on this record, because I’ve seen this become a divisive element of the record. Back in November when they dropped the lead single “Legend”, I was very iffy on the production; and on the first listen to the full record, I’ll admit to having qualms about it. However, on repeat listens, I've felt that the production really suits this album and gives it a very heavy vibe. It almost has a kaiju-like quality to it, and helps put you in the world the album art is portraying.

The guitar work is excellent, and gives a very heavy yet melodic vibe to the songs. Drumming is great and the bass work is good too, but I feel that, because of the production, the bass can get a bit swallowed in the mix at times. Vocals sound bestial throughout the album and are very fitting to the music. Experimentation is also fantastic throughout the record, with a lot of great additions in the way of synth work and other surprises I wish to not spoil. A personal favorite track from this album is “Dragon”, with its soaring melodies and an almost djenty level of heaviness to the riffs at points.

Overall, I think this is another great addition to Exocrine’s already impressive discography, and is arguably their heaviest album to date. This is a must listen to any technical death metal addict, and just a must listen to any death metal fan out there. The production I know some will find off-putting, but I encourage you to give this album a little time to grow before coming to a final verdict. Speaking of which, my final verdict for Exocrine’s Legend is an 8.8/10. I strongly recommend this album along with their previous releases, and it’s a heck of an album to kick off 2024 too.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Doomguyrox115 | 21.03.2024

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 32 users
22.03.2024 - 21:47
Rating: 8
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Nicely done
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
22.03.2024 - 22:10
Jeis
Well done dude
----
Who gives a shit
22.03.2024 - 22:23
Brutalizer79
Looks good, keep 'em coming!

Hits total: 674 | This month: 309