Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater - Mike Portnoy Returns, New Album On The Way

After 13 years away from Dream Theater, drummer Mike Portnoy returns to the band, and will contribute to their upcoming 16th studio album.

I understand Dream Theater’s decision to get Mike Portnoy back at this time. As was said from Day 1, my place was not to fill all the roles that Mike held in the band. I was to play the drums in order to help the band carry on. My main role of keeping our live show working tightly on a nightly basis was an intense and rewarding experience. Thankfully, I got to experience playing music with these iconic musicians, as well as some fun times laced with humor. I also really enjoyed spending lots of time with the crew. And then there’s the GRAMMY® win, which was amazingly satisfying. To the fans: thank you so much for being amazing to me. I cherish the pictures I have of you all losing your minds and having fun. Finally, I really love the band, crew and management and wish them and the entire organization all the best.Mike Mangini comments.

Mike Mangini’s drumming is otherworldly and I’m extremely grateful for the time he spent with us in Dream Theater. I’m very proud of all the amazing music we made together that culminated in our first GRAMMY win last year and the countless magical moments that we’ve shared on stage over the past 13 years. I wish him all the best of success in his future musical endeavors. I’m incredibly excited to welcome Mike Portnoy back into Dream Theater! As an original founding member, longtime friend and incredibly talented and creative drummer, I know that his return will bring a renewed spirit, passion and energy into DT that all of us, including our fans, will joyfully welcome. I can’t wait to roll up our sleeves and get back into the studio together!John Petrucci explains

It's great to be back true to form with our original drummer Mike Portnoy. We started playing together as Majesty almost 40 years ago and I am excited to see what this next phase of Dream Theater creates for the future. I wish nothing but the best for Mike Mangini for all the blood, sweat and tears he put into DT during his 13-year tenure with the band.” John Myung adds.

Having Mike Mangini with us all these years has been, quite simply, a terrific ride. He is one of the most amazing and naturally gifted drummers I have had the pleasure of working with. Thank you Mike. Life is a very strange ride and I guess that’s what makes it all the more interesting and forever engaging. Having Mike Portnoy back in the band is exactly where we and things should be. Things have a way of going full circle and in this case, it makes perfect sense. I am excited with the prospects of this classic DT lineup being reunited. I can say with absolute confidence this will be the final incarnation of DT with many chapters still to be written well into our future. Onward and upward guys!! Welcome back MP.James LaBrie comments.

Mike Mangini is one of the most exceptional drummers on earth and I feel privileged that we got to create a whole body of work with him. I will always be grateful for the time we shared in the Dream Theater Universe. We are so excited to reunite the core Dream Theater family. There is a resonance of spirit and vision that is unique and goes beyond words within our relationship with Mike Portnoy. On the stage and off there is no denying the magic that happens when we are together. I’m thankful we have the opportunity to work together again as Dream Theater and am looking forward to sharing our excitement and passion with our amazing fans for a long time to come.Jordan Rudess continues.

I am overwhelmed with joy to be returning home and reuniting with my brothers! There is so much shared history between us all…so many memories, so much music…to think we’re coming up on 40 years since this journey began! The idea of creating new music together is so exciting and I absolutely cannot wait to hit the road and get to play live for a whole new generation of fans that weren’t ever able to see this lineup before…There’s no place like home!!Mike Portnoy comments.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Dream Theater
Posted: 25.10.2023 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 43   Visited by: 305 users
25.10.2023 - 19:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I feel quite bad for Mike Mangini, but maybe I just don't have insight and it really was mutual decision...

I think the things were perfectly ok as they was - despite criticism DT were doing fine and Portnoy had a lot of interesting bands to be in (Transatlantic, Sons of Apollo, Liquid Tension Experiment). So I am rather sceptical to this reunion, but we'll see.
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

25.10.2023 - 19:13
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
*watches and thoughtfully smiles*

I haven't been this excited about Dream Theater in years.
25.10.2023 - 20:13
Pavel_K
Not a very metal analogy, but... this situation reminds me of John Frusciante's return to the Chili Peppers and their forced parting with Josh Klinghoffer. A newer member has to make way for the living legend, and the aftertaste is somewhat bittersweet.
I'm sad to see Mangini go, at least two albums with him were top notch in my books ('Distance Over Time' and 'A Dramatic Turn of Events'), and he seems like a wonderful person in addition to being a very talented musician. But I also can't deny that Portnoy's return got me excited for the new music, and I can't help but feel a little sentimental about this reunion of the classic and beloved lineup...
I hope they regain the darker vibe which was all but absent on the last LP.
Good luck to everyone involved!
25.10.2023 - 20:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 25.10.2023 at 19:09

I feel quite bad for Mike Mangini, but maybe I just don't have insight and it really was mutual decision...

I think the things were perfectly ok as they was - despite criticism DT were doing fine and Portnoy had a lot of interesting bands to be in (Transatlantic, Sons of Apollo, Liquid Tension Experiment). So I am rather sceptical to this reunion, but we'll see.

I hope he will continue to contribute to those bands, they make better music as DT since mid 90s
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.10.2023 - 20:30
JoHn Doe
Written by Bad English on 25.10.2023 at 20:19

I think the things were perfectly ok as they was - despite criticism DT were doing fine and Portnoy had a lot of interesting bands to be in (Transatlantic, Sons of Apollo, Liquid Tension Experiment). So I am rather skeptical to this reunion, but we'll see.

I hope he will continue to contribute to those bands, they make better music as DT since mid 90s

No, they don't. All those three bands make predictable music, no surprises, nothing fresh really.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
25.10.2023 - 20:32
A Real Mönkey
Shows how much I care about this band; I didn't even know he left.

Dammit, Mike, make another OSI album instead!
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
25.10.2023 - 20:34
Hellthunder
Nothing but respect to Mangini, but DT and Portnoy belong together.
25.10.2023 - 20:39
JoHn Doe
Written by A Real Mönkey on 25.10.2023 at 20:32

He left OSI even before he left DT. He got upset with Kevin Moore, again. Jim Matheos was more important to that band than Portnoy ever was...
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
25.10.2023 - 20:52
Gladius
Clearly they are more interested in the "Theater" part than in the "Dream" one...
I like Mike but I feel quite sceptical, too. I don't think they will do any better, unfortunately
25.10.2023 - 20:55
Now all they need is a good vocalist.
25.10.2023 - 21:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by JoHn Doe on 25.10.2023 at 20:30

Written by Bad English on 25.10.2023 at 20:19

I think the things were perfectly ok as they was - despite criticism DT were doing fine and Portnoy had a lot of interesting bands to be in (Transatlantic, Sons of Apollo, Liquid Tension Experiment). So I am rather skeptical to this reunion, but we'll see.

No, they don't. All those three bands make predictable music, no surprises, nothing fresh really.

As you see it's not in my fav list, but still better as DT after 1995
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.10.2023 - 23:11
24emd
Theory Snob
Spit out my water at this. Always wondered if it'd happen, but never expected.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
25.10.2023 - 23:24
Vellichor
This isn’t gonna fix DT, they make predictable music and have for the last 15 years. I would be more excited to see them replace LaBrie tbh
25.10.2023 - 23:35
Antidote
Written by JoHn Doe on 25.10.2023 at 20:39

Written by A Real Mönkey on 25.10.2023 at 20:32

He left OSI even before he left DT. He got upset with Kevin Moore, again. Jim Matheos was more important to that band than Portnoy ever was...

Absolutely, OSI is and was 100% Matheos/Moore project. Portnoy has no say in that matter
And IMO Gavin Harrison is perfect for a project like OSI, so I don't miss Portnoy that much there...but the DT news are pretty exciting though.
25.10.2023 - 23:39
JoHn Doe
Written by Antidote on 25.10.2023 at 23:35

Absolutely, OSI is and was 100% Matheos/Moore project. Portnoy has no say in that matter
And IMO Gavin Harrison is perfect for a project like OSI, so I don't miss Portnoy that much there...but the DT news are pretty exciting though.

I can't say it's exciting news, but it is good news I guess.
----
25.10.2023 - 23:52
Antidote
This topic got me dreaming of Mark Zonder returning to Fates Warning....but this is another story
26.10.2023 - 00:08
Fates Warning is over and that has been well documented by band members. My wish is that after a couple years they will reconvene and yes, hopefully with Zonder.
26.10.2023 - 05:52
(o> . <o> )
I love both Mikes, but I'm excited. After all, Portnoy no doubt helped DT become on of the greats.

The band is almost full original line up again, so what say you guys, are we kicking Jordan out and and handcuffing Moore to the keys for the line-up memes?
26.10.2023 - 05:57
Opethian
Give us something to hang our hat on! Welcome back, Mike!
26.10.2023 - 09:17
Antidote
Written by DystopianWonder on 26.10.2023 at 00:08

Fates Warning is over and that has been well documented by band members. My wish is that after a couple years they will reconvene and yes, hopefully with Zonder.

Yes it's over, but one can dream
26.10.2023 - 09:20
JoHn Doe
Written by Antidote on 26.10.2023 at 09:17

Yes it's over, but one can dream

Zonder's replacement was more than OK.
I hope Fates Warning will make a comeback in the future, their retirement came out of the blue.
----
26.10.2023 - 10:26
Claudric
Cool, now they should let James Labrie retire.
26.10.2023 - 12:09
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Either of them is a great drummer. Portnoy may have much more influence on songwriting, because I'm pretty sure Mangini had no say in that department.
26.10.2023 - 12:28
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Vellichor on 25.10.2023 at 23:24

This isn’t gonna fix DT, they make predictable music and have for the last 15 years. I would be more excited to see them replace LaBrie tbh

DT doesn't need fixing. If you expect them to be as good as they were in the 90's, that's never going to happen. You will get a decent album (or a couple of songs) from time to time and that's it.
26.10.2023 - 13:25
Byners
That's... Highly unexpected.
----
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost..."
26.10.2023 - 13:40
Vellichor
Written by Daniell on 26.10.2023 at 12:28

DT doesn't need fixing. If you expect them to be as good as they were in the 90's, that's never going to happen. You will get a decent album (or a couple of songs) from time to time and that's it.

When I say fix I just mean make interesting music again, they seem to be completely out of ideas. Each new album feels like you’ve heard it before and I don’t think Portnoy will change that. I’m not a big DT fan though so my expectations aren’t that high.
26.10.2023 - 14:23
majormalfunction

Is it? From the interviews i've read it's more a on hold situation. Jim is quite old but one should never say never.. Elegy did their first live concert in 20 years last weekend. I don't think anyone thought they would come back.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
26.10.2023 - 14:44
JoHn Doe
Written by majormalfunction on 26.10.2023 at 14:23

Is it? From the interviews i've read it's more a on hold situation. Jim is quite old but one should never say never.. Elegy did their first live concert in 20 years last weekend. I don't think anyone thought they would come back.

He's not that old, what about the guys of Deep Purple or Uriah Heep then? Both released new music in recent times.

I hope to hear new music, of any kind from Jim Matheos. Ray Alder is quite active, he's been in two bands + a new solo album.
----
26.10.2023 - 15:49
Tom Muller
Wasn't expecting this. but with the latest collaboration of liquid an petrucci it makes sense
----
Can you see it
26.10.2023 - 16:00
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Vellichor on 26.10.2023 at 13:40

When I say fix I just mean make interesting music again, they seem to be completely out of ideas. Each new album feels like you’ve heard it before and I don’t think Portnoy will change that. I’m not a big DT fan though so my expectations aren’t that high.

I knew precisely what you meant and I was referring to it. I don't think it's realistic to expect a band this old to come up with fresh ideas. I personally enjoy an occasional song from them, but my expectations never rise above sea level.

Hits total: 4756 | This month: 32