Metal Storm logo
Jazz

Original post

Posted by Twilight, 17.05.2006 - 12:32
I only know a few very experimental bands that play some kind of jazz. But I'm looking for some other bands that are a bit easier to listen to.
Like Supersilent. It's not -really- Jazz, I know. But maybe some people know this.
Does anybody know some nice not too common and experimental jazz bands?
Preferably with some rock influences, like Jaga Jazzist.

That brings me to my second question. Does anybody like hybrids like that?
26.02.2007 - 21:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Spirit Molecule on 23.07.2006 at 14:08

Dues ex machina (jazz/prog rock fusion)

wrong tread this is trad jezz tread this post shood be here
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=4748
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.12.2007 - 18:37
Too many fail.
The gershwin song book is full of stuff thats really easy to get into, might wanna check out something like django reidnhardt & stefan grappeli play gershwin or ella fitzgerald sings gershwin. Where as for more modern or rocky stuff you might like john scofield & pat metheneys collaboration record "i can see your house from here", that record got me into fusion in the first place.
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
05.01.2008 - 02:10
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
You can check this amazing guitarist:

Robben Ford he have many good songs very catchy!
24.01.2008 - 01:28
Hellsing
The Pat Metheny Group, I recently purchased one DVD and I can not believe what they do on stage, simply incredible... great musicians playing more than 3 or 4 instruments each
----
±M@u®î©îر
www.myspace.com/voidcr
www.myspace.com/strato_mauricio
21.07.2008 - 15:11
Detric
King Of Twilight
Check out Bohren & Der Club Of Gore. Really dark and beautiful expreimental jazz from Germany. I get goosebumps whenever I listen to it.
21.07.2008 - 15:53
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Detric on 21.07.2008 at 15:11

Check out Bohren & Der Club Of Gore. Really dark and beautiful expreimental jazz from Germany. I get goosebumps whenever I listen to it.

Wooh man, another fan! I own three albums and a t-shirt, I really like these guys. Perfect reading music.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.07.2008 - 17:25
Detric
King Of Twilight
Did you order the t-shirt from their official website? If so, which one did you get? Im planning to order one myself. I love this band.
22.08.2008 - 03:47
Aphyoun
Account deleted
twillight though lost spirito:
if u need hybrid i'll give u hybrid (but not LP style forsure)
i think ur looking for modern jazz with a pinch of rock

i know exactly the cure for such a desire because the band i'll recommend at the end of this post is a band that i discovered after i listened to too many electric guitar songs
and the band is ..........
tada
Itar shameh

Itar shameh is a syrian band that mixed soul,rock & ofcourse jazz all in one album called
Baitna
u can check out their music on their official

i hope i did any good with ur cravings and i'll definitely ask la8er 4 a pay back favor
peace
04.11.2008 - 15:23
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Detric on 21.07.2008 at 17:25

Did you order the t-shirt from their official website? If so, which one did you get? Im planning to order one myself. I love this band.

Missed this post. Sorry about that. I have the black shirt, with the skull off Black Earth and, plus the logo and of course "Black Earth". It is one of my favourite shirts, as its not as obnoxious as most metal shirts, plus i find it funny that it looks metal (skull, half-splattered logo) but is one of the most un-metal bands i know.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
20.11.2008 - 19:55
I warmly recommend Estradasphere. They mix jazz with a lot of other styles, metal included. I suggest Palace of Mirrors to start
----
¸.?**?.¸*·I am following my fishie... because my fish knows where to go·*¸.?**?.¸
22.11.2008 - 22:44
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Buddy Guy, namely the song "Baby Please Dont Leave Me", is KILLER jazz
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
01.07.2009 - 18:49
cmusiclives
Account deleted
Medeski martin, wood.....bela fleck and the flecktones....christian mcbride band...metheny....sergio mendes....
15.08.2009 - 06:41
Uller
All the soundtrack from the anime Cowboy Bebop is awesome, and easy listening jazz. The band is called The seatbelts I think. I have been listening all their albums for 3 days and i cant stop.

----
10.06.2010 - 17:26
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Uller on 15.08.2009 at 06:41

All the soundtrack from the anime Cowboy Bebop is awesome, and easy listening jazz. The band is called The seatbelts I think. I have been 3 days listening all their albums and i cant stop.

Man ''The Real Folk Blues'' is indeed an awesome song. But this one also gets my attention, I should probably look for some albums.

It has been sometime since I've listened to some jazz. The classics from 50/60ths are my only reference, and I really like Dave Bruback, Count Basie, Charles Mingus and some other, althou the great experimentalist John Coltrane remains on the top of ALL. o/
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
10.06.2010 - 21:14
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Uirapuru on 10.06.2010 at 17:26

Written by Uller on 15.08.2009 at 06:41

All the soundtrack from the anime Cowboy Bebop is awesome, and easy listening jazz. The band is called The seatbelts I think. I have been 3 days listening all their albums and i cant stop.

Man ''The Real Folk Blues'' is indeed an awesome song. But this one also gets my attention, I should probably look for some albums.

It has been sometime since I've listened to some jazz. The classics from 50/60ths are my only reference, and I really like Dave Bruback, Count Basie, Charles Mingus and some other, althou the great experimentalist John Coltrane remains on the top of ALL. o/

Ditto, John Coltrane is just the best musician ever I think. but jazz is a genre that is so consistant I fail to find some bad stuff. oh love the Seatbelts too
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
10.06.2010 - 22:59
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Elio on 10.06.2010 at 21:14

Written by Uirapuru on 10.06.2010 at 17:26

Ditto, John Coltrane is just the best musician ever I think. but jazz is a genre that is so consistant I fail to find some bad stuff. oh love the Seatbelts too

I agree man. o/

Jazz is more than a musical genre, it is a whole artistic concept. The attitudes of the musicians facing the uncertain, and this music without bounderies and determined format are just amazing... I guess the ''bad stuff'' is the stuff that we have not find out yet

No wonder the term ''jazz'' is used even outside the musical department.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
11.06.2010 - 10:05
Uller
I like fast jazz, the slow one is good, but the fastest the better for me.
Here's another awesome band, its called "The thrill"

And I love the saxophonist girl...

So, if you know some good speed jazz band, please let me know
----
16.06.2010 - 23:04
Some Herb Ellis and Charlie Byrd. I know it's not a lot, but not bad for a beginner, huh?
30.06.2010 - 19:53
His Eminence
Account deleted
I really like Lee Ritenour and Larry Carlton, both are very good jazz guitar players. And I'll second the Pat Metheny Group recommendation. His album American Garage is great. Also, Blood Sweat & Tears are a very good jazz/rock group as well.
01.07.2010 - 20:12
Malevolent-Jim
Does anyone here like The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz ensemble?
That and John Zorn are the only Jazz I got around to listening to.I would apprecieate some recommendations.The kind of Jazz I'd prefer would be more melancholic/darker Jazz.
14.07.2010 - 02:50
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Malevolent-Jim on 01.07.2010 at 20:12

Does anyone here like The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz ensemble?
That and John Zorn are the only Jazz I got around to listening to.I would apprecieate some recommendations.The kind of Jazz I'd prefer would be more melancholic/darker Jazz.

I would check here for some recommendations on darker, noir jazz like Kilimanjaro and Bohren. That's from an actual Jazz forum so it may me a little more helpful than you'll find here. It's usually a pretty reliable site for me.
----
The force will be with you, always.
15.07.2010 - 18:12
Goricyde
Account deleted
Royal Crown Revue, Reel Big Fish and the Mighty Mighty Boss Tones.
07.01.2011 - 12:39
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Im not into jazz at all, but one of my favourite bars have jazz live music and i really love and enjoy to be going there
but it never made me to pay more attention and listen this music at home.. Maybe one day!
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
07.01.2011 - 13:29
IronAngel
I'm not well-versed in jazz, especially not contemporary stuff. But I really like some big names. There's a lot of names thrown about, but I guess it's helpful to point to individual albums because most masters have huge back catalogs.

For Miles Davis, I'd check out In A Silent Way. It's an atmospheric album, and some have even called it post-rock 20 years before post-rock. Kind Of Blue is the most popular jazz album of all time, I think. While it's not Miles's best, it's certainly very accessible and very good.

Charles Mingus is great. The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady is just a part of Western culture everyone should hear.

Vince Guaraldi is light and easy to digest, and very catchy. He's known for his Peanuts soundtracks. A Boy Named Charlie Brown, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Oh, Good Grief and Jazz Impressions Of Black Orpheus are all very nice.

If you're into experimental stuff, you should really check out Sun Ra. He was very eccentric and unique. Something like Jazz In Silhouette is a classic.

A third legendary album released in 59 (along with Kind Of Blue and Jazz In Silhouette) is Ornette Coleman's Shape Of Jazz To Come.

The 'Trane's been mentioned often enough here, and I guess you can figure out which albums to check on your own. Giant Steps, A Love Supreme, Ascension etc.
08.04.2011 - 23:38
IronAngel
Some really cool albums released recently:
Colin Stetson - A New History Of Warfare Vol. 2: Judges. It's pretty insane experimental improvisation, recorded with nothing but one sax; and 12 mics, apparently. Pretty interesting experience.
Avishai Cohen - Seven Seas. Piano-driven light jazz with some abstract vocals. Very nice for easy listening.

I guess these two are closer to ambient, but The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble and Bohren & Der Club Of Gore have both released great albums this year too.
08.04.2011 - 23:47
0rpheus
I adore those sufi, qawwali jazz fusions by Dhafer Youssef

----
I would prefer not to.
13.04.2011 - 00:27
Elio
Red Nightmare
Charles Mingus' The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is now my current favourite album ever.

To those who think jazz is boring, have your mind blown by this furious ballet suite.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
13.04.2011 - 21:04
IronAngel
Written by Elio on 13.04.2011 at 00:27

Charles Mingus' The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is now my current favourite album ever.

To those who think jazz is boring, have your mind blown by this furious ballet suite.

Yeah. It's not my favorite, but it's pretty damn good.
01.05.2011 - 23:41
Timm O)))
The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble and Bohren & Der Club Of Gore are two names that pop up in my head. (They've probably been mentioned before here but i'm too lazy to scroll through the entire two pages...)
Pretty amazing dark ambient jazz, gotta love it.
Kilimanjaro blew my mind all over the walls two weeks ago when i saw them live.
Also, the guys from TKDE also have another jazz improv project called The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation. You should check that out as well.
01.05.2011 - 23:50
IronAngel
The Kilimanjaros have been mentioned three times on this page already. That's fine though, because they are absolutely amazing. I'm appreciating the new album more and more as time goes by. Easily in the top ten albums of the year, so far. The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation are great as well, but I wouldn't recommend their latest, Anthropomorphic. It's pretty aimless and boring drone. Succubus is a brilliant album though.

The new Bohren is pretty disappointing. It's not bad, just not what I expected from them. It's quite unambitious and predictable (and I don't like Patton's vocals).