Metal Storm logo
Jazz & metal

Original post

Posted by , 05.01.2007 - 18:32
Hello fellow stormers!

Here we can discuss all sorts of jazz metal bands. Hopefully this thread will be flooded with loads of excellent recommendations.

If you recommend or mention a band it be very nice if you'd add a description, be it short or long doesn't matter as it gives a hint what is the music like as the genre is very wide ranging from jazz death to more mellow bands(that is also the reason the thread wasn't created either in melodic or extreme metal forum)

Hope you have lots of fun discovering new bands
27.09.2012 - 10:35
TheMike

I thought of another band that I'm pretty sure I didn't see on here. Continuo Renacer from Spain (I think). They lean more towards tech-death at times but they have a lot of jazz influence as well. One of their songs from their 2005 s/t: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9y6PGoqnKw&feature=related and one from their new album from 2011, "The Great Escape": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKZrGX93ZRs&feature=related
02.11.2013 - 17:45
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I may not be an expert on jazz, but I came on this topic for the saxophones :p
Any bands using sax, a lot? Like sigh's imaginary sonicscape and in somniphobia? (do these count as jazz btw?)
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
10.04.2014 - 12:01
toxx
Supreme being
Old thread, but I don't se Shining mentioned here. And, no, it's not the swedish one i mean, but the Norwegians. Released two albums I think. This is from the first one:

10.04.2014 - 14:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 02.11.2013 at 17:45

I may not be an expert on jazz, but I came on this topic for the saxophones :p
Any bands using sax, a lot? Like sigh's imaginary sonicscape and in somniphobia? (do these count as jazz btw?)

Yakuza are pretty rad. Check out 'Of Seismic Consequence' for some jazz and sax-tastic avant-garde sludge / post metal type thing.
10.04.2014 - 15:13
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Guest on 10.04.2014 at 14:16

Yakuza are pretty rad. Check out 'Of Seismic Consequence' for some jazz and sax-tastic avant-garde sludge / post metal type thing.

Those guys are pretty awesome. I've only heard Samsara, which is awesome as well. Love the crazy sax work.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
10.04.2014 - 15:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Spirit Molecule on 10.04.2014 at 15:13

Those guys are pretty awesome. I've only heard Samsara, which is awesome as well. Love the crazy sax work.

I've actually heard the one album myself. Despite really liking the one I heard I never did branch out.
10.04.2014 - 15:26
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Guest on 10.04.2014 at 15:14

I've actually heard the one album myself. Despite really liking the one I heard I never did branch out.

Haha same here. I do that with a lot of bands actually
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
10.04.2014 - 15:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Spirit Molecule on 10.04.2014 at 15:26

Haha same here. I do that with a lot of bands actually

Yeah it's weird, even albums I've really loved, like AotY type albums, I've often never bothered exploring the debuts or what have you.
10.04.2014 - 16:37
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 10.04.2014 at 14:16

Thanks. Nice music, by what I've heard. Not really a big fan of the vocals though.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
10.04.2014 - 16:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 10.04.2014 at 16:37

Thanks. Nice music, by what I've heard. Not really a big fan of the vocals though.

It's not my favourite vocal style by a long shot but I got used to them, and in fact wouldn't even change them now.
25.06.2014 - 03:33
JayMo4

Written by toxx on 10.04.2014 at 12:01

Old thread, but I don't se Shining mentioned here. And, no, it's not the swedish one i mean, but the Norwegians. Released two albums I think. This is from the first one:

I have that album, actually. I've heard some of their other stuff and like that as well. Glad to see them get a mention.
11.09.2021 - 11:29
Miohn

Written by Guest on 06.01.2007 at 04:42

I don't really think Jazz Metal is an actual genre, but who knows i could be wrong. I've heard of metal with jazz influences, and stuff like progressive metal which is kind of like that, but not an actual jazz metal. If jazz metal is an actual genre can you give us an example of some of your favorite jazz metal bands?

I mostly agree with this definition. Jazz metal as such is maybe hard to maintain as a separate genre. But while reading this I thought: you can also go literal with it and mention a band like Alex Skolnick Trio. They play jazz interpretations of popular metal songs ...
----
"A true warrior is a thinker, seeking the key to liberation. Not always through direct action, but by the means of education" - From 'Wartime' by Facedown