05. Sophisticated Ladies
06. Wake Up Dead In The Garbagecan
07. Spreadin' The News
08. This Is For The Mentally Damaged
09. Sensitive To The Light
10. Lesson In Violence
11. Sorry For The Shape I'm In
12. No Resistance

In 2005 Hardcore Superstar put out a beautiful nostalgic self-titled album full of catchy riffs and unforgettable chorus', but how are they to top that? Or how are they to keep going without the whole 80's style Glam Metal bit growing stale? Well have no fear, they somehow managed to reinvent themselves once again and they completely topped themselves with this one.

First things first, the old 80's nostalgia Hardcore Superstar is gone, which some people may see as a bad thing, until they put this in their ears and see how 'Superstar have come back with much originality that may have been lacking before. Looking at the song titles its not a big secret this is not the same happy-go-lucky, skin-deep album as the band put out previous to this, most of the songs are dealing with death and depression. That being said, the songs still stay upbeat and in some cases take a more humorous approach to such depressing issues that dominate this album, 'Wake Up Dead In A Garbagecan' being the best example.

Not only has the lyrical content become more dynamic, but so has the music itself. So many riffs in this album are nothing like I've ever heard before, instead of using recycled generic rock riffs that so many bands are doing these days. Martin Silver has come up with some incredibly unique material without being too extravagant. The main riff for the title track for example sounds like it could fit right into a White Zombie song. The ballads have also been cut out of this album completely, which can be seen as a good or bad thing, but personally I find Jocke Bergs voice a little too whiny to be able to handle a ballad 100%, so the lack of ballads is a very good thing.

The production seems to be the final change in the sound, it is far more balanced out in this album, the guitars are perfectly matched to the bass in volume. The drums are very prominent in this one with slightly more complex playing, instead of just straight-forward time keeping in the background.

This is usually the part where I would bitch about the filler tracks or downsides, but frankly I fail to find any, it's just a completely solid album the entire way through. Unfortunately I have a feeling this is Hardcore Superstar at the peak of their career, unless the new guitarist Vic Zino can come up with some absolutely mind-blowing guitar work, they wont top this.

Highlights: 'Dreamin' In A Casket', 'Wake Up Dead In A Garbagecan', and 'Lesson In Violence'

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by Doc G. | 02.09.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 36 users
31.05.2009 - 19:24
DayFly

The first time I bought an album after reading a review from this site and it is spot on, especially with the White Zombie comparison. The only thing I don't agree with is the lack of ballads (without having heard any previous ones by the band), after all I'm this site's biggest sucker for ballads
04.08.2009 - 00:04
Rating: 10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by DayFly on 31.05.2009 at 19:24

The first time I bought an album after reading a review from this site and it is spot on, especially with the White Zombie comparison. The only thing I don't agree with is the lack of ballads (without having heard any previous ones by the band), after all I'm this site's biggest sucker for ballads

Thank you very much.

Yeah, I don't mind ballads either, but if you listen to the album previous to this you'll hear some - Jocke Bergs voice is a little too shrill for ballads I find.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.12.2011 - 02:34
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Man, I just discovered this band. What a amazing sound!
Great review, Doc!

Hits total: 5665 | This month: 8