10. Symbolic Acts [instrumental demo version]
11. Zero Tolerance [instrumental version]
12. Crystal Mountain [instrumental version]
13. Misanthrope [instrumental version]
14. Symbolic Acts [demo]

Top 20 albums of 1995: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 1

Additional info
Produced, engineered and mixed by Jim Moore for D.U.A.F. productions.
Co-produced by Chuck Schuldiner.
Recorded and mixed at Morrisound Recording, Tampla, FL.
Mastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound, NYC.
Cover art: René Miville.
Band photography: René Miville.
Design: Patty Mooney.

Produced for reissue by Monte Conner.
Project coordinator: Steven Hartong.
Remastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound, NYC, December 2007.
Bonus tracks taken from Symbolic pre-production demos. Produced by Chuck Schuldiner.

Guest review by
Yanko
Rating:
So, after probably the worst album in Death's career, they have taken enough time off (two years) before releasing this one. And it is a very rapid change from the previous one, leaving many of the fans really puzzled.

Chuck has once more changed his vocals to more screaming and thus getting them to what they will sound three years later at a steady and slow pace. His singing isn't very convincing and could be easily be labeled as rather ordinary thrash singing, because of his voice lacking the personal touch of the man performing them.

Read more ››
published 15.09.2003 | Comments (33)

Guest review by
K✞ulu
Rating:
1995 was very generous to the metal world with its great releases. One of them was Death's 6th studio album called Symbolic, a true masterpiece and a classic without a doubt. Everything about this music piece impresses to the very marrow of the bones: the riffs, the leads, the bass, the drums, the lyrics and the vocals. The album is even more versatile and progressive than the previous two, with most songs running for over 5 minutes.

Read more ››
published 26.06.2008 | Comments (22)

Found in 197 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 101   Visited by: 3961 users
27.03.2019 - 10:50
Rating: 10
Singed
These vocals are so goddamn amazing, it's breathtaking how Chuck presents these emotions
----
I don't play the guitar, the guitar plays me.

No, honestly. The guitar is an arsehole
12.04.2020 - 13:07
Rating: 9
nonZero
I've listened to this album a few times now. It is an excellent album no doubt, but the best metal album ever? I would personally rank TSOP and Human above Symbolic.

9.2/10 for me - 'Crystal Mountain' is the standout track. The Title Track, 'Sacred Serenity' and '1,000 Eyes' are all also fantastic.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
04.05.2020 - 23:58
Melkor
I gave it plenty of listens but never would wrap my head around the fact it was the best of all times. maybe deaths music is not my taste, dont mind me.
05.05.2020 - 00:06
Metal Rasputin
I love Death and Symbolic, but I don't think it's the best album ever, even though I can see why many other people would think so. Death is one of those funny bands whose every album is classic and possible candidate for being someone's all time favorite piece of metal.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
05.05.2020 - 00:16
Redel
Guys, where is your balls!?
We are Metal Storm!
If we say altogether (on average) that this is the best album of all time then this is the best album of all time.
07.05.2020 - 23:03
TheRisen8
Nine hits? my god... every song is so memorable, full of twists and turns. It always surprises me. I like his vocals a lot. they feel like they are one of a kind, very distinguishable among every other vocalists imo. And perhaps the best lyrics among the more popular bands. I feel like pretty much every song is masterpiece on itself
----
"Dreams of sweetest emotion touch my heart and smother my daily suppressed cries, while a vision of beauty, pure and dear inspires me with a glimpse of paradise."

Estatic Fear - Somnium Obmutum
08.05.2020 - 02:44
The Witchfinder
Account deleted
It's okay. I always thought it was their weakest album especially since it's sandwiched between two masterpieces already, not to mention the early stuff which is in a league of its own.
02.07.2020 - 22:58
ickoriss
One of the best from the band for sure, but not my favorite. It's an improvement over Individual Thought Patterns though. Not saying ITP is bad by and stretch at all, it's quite good. This is just better.
22.09.2020 - 15:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
If you've ever wondered what this album sounded like if played in some Tangerine Dream/Stranger Things hallucinatory filter, Introspekrieg's got you covered when he unearthed this gem.

Nitelight plays Death's Symbolic - or should I say Synthbolic?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.12.2020 - 01:24
JavierPaper
Very good album, but a bit overrated
23.01.2021 - 00:24
JavierPaper
Written by nonZero on 12.04.2020 at 13:07

I would personally rank TSOP and Human above Symbolic.

Agree, TSOP and Human are way better than Sybolic
17.05.2021 - 10:20
MahoDM
Dumbass
How did it get 9.29 so fast... I thought that the 9.24 was untouchable
17.05.2021 - 18:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by MahoDM on 17.05.2021 at 10:20

How did it get 9.29 so fast... I thought that the 9.24 was untouchable

I went through the top 7 albums last night and removed dozens of vote abusers who had floated tons of 1s around. I'll slowly chip away further at the top charts in hopes of cleaning things up more. The 10 abusers are a lot harder to seek out since so many people cast that vote
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.05.2021 - 23:57
MahoDM
Dumbass
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.05.2021 at 18:18

I went through the top 7 albums last night and removed dozens of vote abusers who had floated tons of 1s around. I'll slowly chip away further at the top charts in hopes of cleaning things up more. The 10 abusers are a lot harder to seek out since so many people cast that vote

thank you for that (im trying my best to don't "abuse" the 10, but well... it just happens)
18.05.2021 - 11:27
gavdann
Written by JavierPaper on 23.01.2021 at 00:24

It deserves to be higher than Sound of Perseverance but not Human.

IMO of course...

Which is the correct opinion.
18.05.2021 - 18:02
JavierPaper
Written by gavdann on 18.05.2021 at 11:27

Written by JavierPaper on 23.01.2021 at 00:24

It deserves to be higher than Sound of Perseverance but not Human.

IMO of course...

Which is the correct opinion.

Why does it deserve to be above The Sound of Perseverance?

What does Symbolic have that TSOP doesn't?

Symbolic is a very good album, the thing is it's overrated for a 9.2, imo the album should be like 8.8 or 8.9.

Now that I look at it, it has 9.3
19.05.2021 - 11:10
gavdann
Written by JavierPaper on 18.05.2021 at 18:02

Good songwriting.

The Sound of Perseverance is a disjointed mess of an album in my opinion. "Spirit Crusher" aside of course which is a damn fine track.
19.05.2021 - 13:36
Redel
Written by gavdann on 19.05.2021 at 11:10

The Sound of Perseverance is a disjointed mess of an album in my opinion.

That is a quite common view on TSOP. I have never understood it, such an excellent album.
19.05.2021 - 14:21
JavierPaper
Written by gavdann on 19.05.2021 at 11:10

Written by JavierPaper on 18.05.2021 at 18:02

Good songwriting.

The Sound of Perseverance is a disjointed mess of an album in my opinion. "Spirit Crusher" aside of course which is a damn fine track.

What do you mean by it being a disjointed album?

And what's so great about Symbolic's songwriting compared to TSOP's?
20.05.2021 - 19:49
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
I can't argue with this album being rated the highest on the website, I simply can't find anything to dislike about it, it's faultless! Every song is brilliant.

I would say they took more of a thrash style route with Symbolic, It sounded like they had began the genre switch when it came to Human, eventually leading to this masterpiece. which showed just how far they had come Since Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy.

TSOP wasn't far behind this album musically and in terms of songwriting, but I slightly prefer the songs on this album overall, and TSOP was slightly more complex and progressive compared with this one, so it was harder to get into.
22.06.2021 - 16:47
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 20.05.2021 at 19:49

I can't argue with this album being rated the highest on the website, I simply can't find anything to dislike about it, it's faultless! Every song is brilliant.

I would say they took more of a thrash style route with Symbolic, It sounded like they had began the genre switch when it came to Human, eventually leading to this masterpiece. which showed just how far they had come Since Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy.

TSOP wasn't far behind this album musically and in terms of songwriting, but I slightly prefer the songs on this album overall, and TSOP was slightly more complex and progressive compared with this one, so it was harder to get into.

Perfect summary of my views as well! TSOP is very complex, and sometimes I find it too technical to handle. Human started Death's more melodic style while still staying super heavy. And Symbolic I find as the perfect balance of everything: thrash, death, progressive, melodic.... it's one of those albums that I can always listen to and it never gets old.
22.06.2021 - 17:52
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Quote:
Written by F3ynman2000 on 22.06.2021 at 16:47

Perfect summary of my views as well! TSOP is very complex, and sometimes I find it too technical to handle. Human started Death's more melodic style while still staying super heavy. And Symbolic I find as the perfect balance of everything: thrash, death, progressive, melodic.... it's one of those albums that I can always listen to and it never gets old.

It's amazing when you look back to Scream Bloody Gore how completely different the album sounded to Symbolic, you would of thought it was a different band altogether, but their style had actually changed gradually over time, and they were Forever evolving, but still never created a bad album IMO, but Symbolic is one of the few albums I would consider perfect!
22.06.2021 - 18:44
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Quote:
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 22.06.2021 at 17:52

Written by F3ynman2000 on 22.06.2021 at 16:47

It's amazing when you look back to Scream Bloody Gore how completely different the album sounded to Symbolic, you would of thought it was a different band altogether, but their style had actually changed gradually over time, and they were Forever evolving, but still never created a bad album IMO, but Symbolic is one of the few albums I would consider perfect!

Indeed! I was also lucky enough to have Symbolic be my introduction to death metal. I was listening to Megadeth on YouTube when in the recommendations appeared: Death - Symbolic. That opening riff of the title track opened up a new era in my metal journey.... thanks, YouTube algorithm!
26.06.2021 - 20:52
Chuck Schuldiner is one of the best metal lyricist, and a kickass shredder, off course.
14.11.2021 - 21:56
Rating: 5
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
I'd say this probably is the worst death album, too many tracks here I don't like all that much
04.02.2022 - 02:52
Nate612
Written by Roman Doez on 14.11.2021 at 21:56

I'd say this probably is the worst death album, too many tracks here I don't like all that much

wrong. your opinion is just god awful i cant even comprehend how wrong you are. It would take longer for humanity to figure how wrong you are mathematically than it would take for the sun to expand and eventually engulf Earth
04.02.2022 - 03:16
Rating: 7
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
It definitely has some absolutely terrible vocals, that’s for sure.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.02.2022 - 13:03
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by Nate612 on 04.02.2022 at 02:52

wrong. your opinion is just god awful i cant even comprehend how wrong you are. It would take longer for humanity to figure how wrong you are mathematically than it would take for the sun to expand and eventually engulf Earth

Fella, I just don't like the tracks as much as on the other Death albums, is it that hard to comprehend?
04.02.2022 - 17:27
Nate612
Written by Roman Doez on 04.02.2022 at 13:03

Written by Nate612 on 04.02.2022 at 02:52

Fella, I just don't like the tracks as much as on the other Death albums, is it that hard to comprehend?

mmmmmmmm, no. i like complaining over dumb stuff, anyways your opinion is valid. have a good day
25.02.2022 - 23:02
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by F3ynman2000 on 25.02.2022 at 21:19

Listening to Symbolic again, I had to think of your comment here. I agree that from 1000 Eyes onwards the songs are absolutely flawless, while for me Zero Tolerance is weaker. I do like the title track, Empty Words, and Sacred Serenity, but I'd also say that the second half of the album is definitely stronger

(quoting you here to stay in topic)
The more I listen to Symbolic and the less I like it tbf, the only songs I still like on the album are without judgement and crystal mountain, the other ones just don't do anything to me anymore

Hits total: 127810 | This month: 577