13. Take No Prisoners [demo] [2004 re-released bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1990: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 2

Additional info
Re-released in 2004

Guest review by
Gorey
Rating:
1990 is a year to be remembered in the history of heavy metal. And it has to be said that the US Megadeth have made a lot for it with the launch of their cataclysmic opus, Rust In Peace. After three albums of good quality the four guys decided to release a (nuclear) bomb that has become a landmark in the metal world.
Dave Mustaine publicly reveals his genius, accompanied by his old mate Dave Ellefson. For this album, Mustaine has hired a new guitarist, Marty Friedman, and a drummer, Nick Menza. The first impression when you hear this album, is its pure, almost uncontrolled strength, that changes every riff into an earthquake.The guitars are omnipresent, they rhythm, without any moment of weakness, the lyrics, resolutely anti military and full of nuclear apocalypse. In this point of view, the excellent ?Holy wars? is a titanic opening. This track can be considered as a symbol of all the rage and determination that the album contains, as it combines heavy repeating riffs and guitar flights. This only track can justify the purchase of this album. Because it's a boost that allows the other tracks to be linked together with a great fluidity.

Read more ››
published 22.09.2003 | Comments (52)

Guest review by
Arian Totalis
Rating:
The year is 1990, and the 80's thrash scene will soon fade into the backdrop. There seems to be no hope for this genre beyond but a few bands, but only one of these bands was needed; Megadeth. Since the last album, Dave have ousted Chuck Behler and Jeff Young, and replaced them with Nick Menza and Guitar Giant Marty Friedman. With Political and Societal themes ready to launch, Megadeth was ready to make their fans Rust in Peace.

Read more ››
published 17.01.2009 | Comments (21)

Exactly 30 years ago, on September 24th, Rust In Peace was unleashed upon the world and had the impact of an atomic bomb. Just before thrash metal's demise, Megadeth released a magnificent masterpiece that was at the same time so aggressive yet dexterous, so catchy yet progressive, so melodic yet gritty, that it would be considered groundbreaking even if it was released today. Alongside the two Daves, Rust in Peace was the first Megadeth album to feature lead guitarist Marty Friedman and the late Nick Menza on drums, thus undoubtedly forming the most talented line-up the band ever had. Titles like "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due", "Hangar 18", and "Tornado Of Souls" are carved with golden letters on the Book of Thrash's Legendary Tracks. To be consumed incessantly and irresponsibly until nuclear warfare wipes us off the face of this planet.

nikarg's picks | More picks ››

Found in 251 lists
Top lists

Comments page 7 / 8

Comments: 227   Visited by: 4840 users
27.09.2020 - 15:16
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Response (I guess) to Staff Pick because this thing turned 30

I mean it's definitely not a bad release by any means, probably actually one of the few that deserves its obnoxiously high rating on here. But I've always found RIP to probably be the most overrated album in the Megadeth discography, especially when Peace Sells and Killing Is My Business (why do people sleep on this album so much arrrrgghhh!) exist.

I was discussing this with a friend the other day and he was like "ohhhh but those albums don't have Holy Wars or Take No Prisoners!"

I could just as easily say that RIP doesn't have Black Friday, Bad Omen, Rattlehead, The Skull Beneath The Skin, etc.

Also Chris Poland was the best Megadeth guitarist ever, and probably would've run circles around Marty Friedman had they ever gotten into an actual guitar battle. Fight me.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
30.09.2020 - 16:39
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 27.09.2020 at 15:16

Also Chris Poland was the best Megadeth guitarist ever, and probably would've run circles around Marty Friedman had they ever gotten into an actual guitar battle. Fight me.

I'm not gonna fight you but that's a spicy opinion.
----
7.0 means the album is good
30.09.2020 - 17:04
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Milena on 30.09.2020 at 16:39

I'm not gonna fight you but that's a spicy opinion.

I mean let's be real here, people talk about how the Mustaine/Ellefson/Friedman/Menza lineup of Megadeth was the best lineup the band ever saw, but they really only gave us one great album, Rust In Peace.

Other than that Countdown is fairly decent, but nothing overly special and nowhere even close to RIP. Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings are both pretty boring and only have like two or three good tracks each, and Risk is just downright horrendous.

The Mustaine/Ellefson/Poland/Samuelson lineup, meanwhile, gave us not one, but two great albums as well as some of the most classic Megadeth bangers ever. It was the better lineup.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
30.09.2020 - 23:28
Rating: 10
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Auntie Sahar on 27.09.2020 at 15:16

Honestly in terms of technical proficiency I'd have to say Chris Broderick was the best they've had. Still though Friedman wrote the solo in Tornado of Souls, and compositional skills are far more important than technical abilities.
30.09.2020 - 23:55
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Alex F on 30.09.2020 at 23:28

Honestly in terms of technical proficiency I'd have to say Chris Broderick was the best they've had. Still though Friedman wrote the solo in Tornado of Souls, and compositional skills are far more important than technical abilities.

Yeah but Chris Broderick was only with the band for one album (I think?), so there's not really much to judge by
----

~ II. VII
01.10.2020 - 17:27
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Not their best album definitely.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
01.10.2020 - 18:30
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Maco on 01.10.2020 at 17:27

Let me guess: the demos and the debut
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
01.10.2020 - 18:37
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by RaduP on 01.10.2020 at 18:30

Written by Maco on 01.10.2020 at 17:27

Let me guess: the demos and the debut

Peace Sells actually.

Crackhead Megadeth is still best Megadeth.

Also Gar Samuelson >>>>>>>>>>>>> Nick Menza
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
11.10.2020 - 17:23
Rating: 9
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
I won't teach anything to anyone when I say this album is amazing, but I really like it a lot. Only things preventing it from being a 10 in my eyes are the tracks "dawn patrol" and "lucretia", it's perfect otherwise
17.01.2021 - 00:47
JavierPaper
Perfect album, a classic.

Best songs (my opinion)

Tornado Of Souls
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
Take No Prisioners
Rust In Peace... Polaris
Five Magics
21.01.2021 - 16:46
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
14.04.2021 - 02:13
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
The only album on MS that matters = everything else as dogshit.

*sarcasm ends.

Of course not, not with that re(duce)master.

Imma goes on a whim and say Megadeth never had good artwork. Vic Rattlehead looked suitable as a perfect shooting target as you can get (when it's not gigastacy). But as much as I find thrash more of a punchline than inspiration I appreciate a lot of the minor details they went for. The obvious ones being the second half endings to Hangar 18 and RIP Polaris, so the specifics of mine were the alien, pseudo- industrial aesthetic and how Menza's cymbals are on an inverted arm across the kit.

Then the Nuke bassheads which are iconic in themselves when it comes to aesthetics. If only Megadeth were truly some cyber industrial shit, I wonder if them not tapping into that sound despite crying wolf at the aesthetics bothered anyone? After all Dawn Patrol was just their love for Sisters Of Mercy.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

02.05.2021 - 13:11
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Imo the best thrash metal album ever, Megadeth have done some brilliant albums, but this has never been matched in terms of the quality of the songwriting, complexity, melody and the pace, also the riffs and solo's are outstanding, some of the best in metal history, especially on Holy Wars, which is my favourite song by them, although there's so many great songs on this album that this could almost be considered a compilation. Perfect 10 from me.
26.06.2021 - 20:10
Megadeth managed to fuse both complex technicality with melodic genius of Marty Friedman, exciting trash record.
29.06.2021 - 18:47
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 02.05.2021 at 13:11

although there's so many great songs on this album that this could almost be considered a compilation. Perfect 10 from me.

Well said! Rust in Peace, Painkiller, and Symbolic are full with masterpiece songs. When I start listening to one of those albums, it's hard not to listen to it all because every song is great and hooks me immediately!
(Other albums that have a lot of masterpieces: Peace Sells, Ride the Lightning, Powerslave, Storm of the Light's Bane, Terminal Redux)
11.07.2021 - 21:40
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
This album is perfection.
Every player delivers a legendary performance. Not only does the finished product sound amazing, but even each isolated track (bass and drums only, or no vocals, or Mustaine only, or even a version without Marty) sounds better than any thrash album!
(Those isolated tracks I found on YouTube - I really recommend them because you can appreciate what each instrument is contributing)
Edit: Here are fantastic instrumental tracks (without vocals): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHGlFaAnLFUEbPD_kn-VyTa0ebrMMWH-4 (I don't own this list - I just found it on Youtube)
01.09.2021 - 15:03
Samot
So happy to see this album in First place here in MS List!! This is a really Great List and amazing Website!!
----
Um, Dois, Três, Quatro! Yeah! PORRA!!!
13.10.2021 - 20:53
gavdann
Picked up a first pressing vinyl copy of this for twenty quid. It sounds fking awesome! So much more bottom end punch than the CD version I've had for years.

Never had an issue with Dave Mustaine's 80's/early 90's vocals btw but I didn't realise he'd re-recorded them for the recent RiP remaster. Thank fk I didn't splash out for any of that nonsense.
28.02.2022 - 09:25
GrimReaper85
No filler songs here, deservingly constantly in top 4 albums here.
12.03.2022 - 22:49
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
The only thing that bothers me about the remastered version is the "evil" vocals at the end of "Five Magics". Those sound absolutely ridiculous in comparison to the demonic original version.
Otherwise I find the remaster fine. All the instruments are loud at the right time, none are shunned to remain in the background.
This album remains a masterpiece

Edit: Silly me of the past. The original is far superior
15.03.2022 - 15:22
nonZero
An excellent album but tracks like 'Five Magics' and 'Poison Was The Cure' make it unworthy of a 10 IMO.

9.2/10 for me - The first 2 tracks are classics. 'Take No Prisoners' and 'Tornado Of Souls' are both also great.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
15.03.2022 - 15:55
gavdann
Sits behind Master, Ride and Reign as the 4th best metal album of all time for me.
27.08.2022 - 18:59
Dorian75
THE DEFINITION OF A MASTERPIECE. Every single song is a killer of its own kind. You all know the mega-hits holy wars, hangar 18, and the tornado of souls. Let's talk about the rest. Five magics, its whole structure is seminar the transition from every part to the next its an absolute masterclass, and especially the last minute of the song with the furious final break. Poison was the cure, Jesus, in 2.47 minutes they do everything, from the compelling intro to a mindblowing solo as an outro. Seminar riffing and pace. Lucretia, what an amazing song, have you ever really noticed this one??? The best groove in the whole album, exquisite rhythm guitars, and guess what, the best soloing in the whole album is in this song, not Tornado, not Holy was. The soloing in this song is a must-study for everyone. Last but not least take no prisoner and The punishment due. Two in-your-face songs literally and metaphorically. The whole album is what we call once in a lifetime. Don't get me wrong. I am fond of Peace Sells, Youthanasia, Killing is my business and So far, I also believe that Countdown it's a very good album but not even close to this mythical substance that gained through all the past decades, but I have lived Rust in Peace since the debut day of its release and after all these years I can say that it's still powerless. I can listen to it with the same excitement as the first day back in 1990.
11.03.2023 - 03:50
HeshBay
One of the worst albums I have ever heard, I cant stand how many can enjoy an album where the vocalist sounds like this.
11.03.2023 - 04:05
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by HeshBay on 11.03.2023 at 03:50

One of the worst albums I have ever heard, I cant stand how many can enjoy an album where the vocalist sounds like this.

> signs up to Metalstorm
> rates Master Of Puppets with a 10 ("perfect")
> rates Painkiller with a 6 ("average")
> rates Rust In Peace with a 1 ("worst ever")

Oh my...
09.08.2023 - 21:45
Rating: 8
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
It's been said a million times before but Dave's vocals are a big let down here.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.08.2023 - 12:50
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Well, I've finally gotten my hands on a high-quality download of the original release. Now I can die happy
30.08.2023 - 10:29
gavdann
Written by F3ynman2000 on 29.08.2023 at 12:50

Well, I've finally gotten my hands on a high-quality download of the original release. Now I can die happy

Was it really that difficult?
30.08.2023 - 13:24
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by gavdann on 30.08.2023 at 10:29

Written by F3ynman2000 on 29.08.2023 at 12:50

Was it really that difficult?

No, but I just didnt get around to it until now, and I wasn't entirely sure where to look because, for the longest time, I only bought physical copies. I was first content with the remastered CD (which is the only one one can get in normal stores). I listened to the original version on YouTube, and now I finally got around to owning the original.
23.09.2023 - 22:28
Absolute masterpiece and the definition of a classic. Each song has it's own vibe, there's beautiful solos throughout and memorable riffs everywhere you look. I know Dave's voice is divisive but I don't have an issue with them on this album.

Hits total: 143617 | This month: 541