07. For The Love Of God
08. The Audience Is Listening
09. I Would Love To
10. Blue Powder
11. Greasy Kid's Stuff
12. Alien Water Kiss
13. Sisters
14. Love Secrets

How do you review one of the first metal albums you've ever bought? I can't say I'm too sure but one thing certain; Steve Vai is one of the best guitarists of all time. I usually try to keep opinions like this as they are; opinions, but this statement is fact. He blows lesser men like Malmsteen straight out of the water. Accept it.

Where do I get off saying this? Passion And Warfare. Enough said. This album is a masterpiece in guitar work but without any distractions like vocals or excessive drum or bass. While there are some spoken word passages (usually about two seconds long) and samples they only either prelude or conclude a song, and as such don't really add much. The drums are adequate while there are some funky bass lines, but in the end these musicians know their place; far behind Steve Vai.

Vai's guitar work, if I haven't made clear yet, at the forefront of every second of this album. Vai mixes various styles of music together in every song, but I would hardly call it "progressive" or "avant-garde". No, he is just playing guitar the way it should be. Perhaps the most identifiable aspect of his playing is how much fun he has in doing it; most of his songs are upbeat and infectiously put you in a good mood. Keep in mind Vai isn't a shredder like more contemporary guitarists (once in a while he will, just to let you know he can). Instead he puts feeling into every note he plays, everything is there for a reason. At times his riffs can get a little bizarre, but it just exemplifies his creativity. At times this can make the album less accessible although it's hard to not appreciate his skill no matter what.

I forgot to mention "For The Love Of God", easily the best song on the album. Seriously, it's worth buying the album just for this one song, the main riff and solo are incredible.

Since you've managed to endure a page of my fanboy slobbering go out and buy Passion And Warfare, now!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by Marcus | 21.05.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 114 users
22.05.2010 - 02:40
Lachy
Account deleted
Yeah vai is the master of guitar. i mean theres no best guitarist, they are all good at their own things, but vai continues to extend himself into different scales and modes ect. Great review Marcus
07.06.2012 - 02:45
Rating: 9
Metalex

Great review & albulm!
23.04.2014 - 17:25
Rating: 10
Nyoink

I'd put Vai and Malmsteen on the same level... However, i'd put Satriani one level above them.

Hits total: 5461 | This month: 13